Use emacs

>use emacs
>hand starts hurting
wtf
is this healthy?

Attached: Emacs-icon.sh_.png (1000x1000, 155K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ergoemacs.org/emacs/swap_CapsLock_Ctrl.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

your body is telling you to use vim

I just switched to emacs after having used vim for a few years. Main reason is the easy customization and the cool features it comes with.

press the control key with your palm, not your pinkey

Get some better keybinds and a better keyboard.

I mean dick

Bind the control key to caps lock.

>keyboard
*dick

What about the right control key?
Seems interesting, haven't thought of that. Will need some time getting used to but I'll give it a try
>better keyboard
Got some cheapo 80% chink mech keyboard, what do you recommend?
>better keybinds
what do you mean? I don't even use many keybinds yet (C-spc, M-f, M-b, M-w, C-w, ...).
How should I remap them?

>what do you recommend?
Kinesis advantage two. I have three control keys bound it's amazing.

Look at the dactyl keyboard. You have to build it yourself though.

>itt people discovering that not only is EMACS total garbage, but will actually cause serious physical disorders if used for a prolonged period of time.

it was also created by a moron, so you should of guessed it was crap before installing it.

>total garbage
>still better than vim
Really makes you think, huh?

your opinion is as shitty as your breath smells, which is pretty bad you rim job extremist. can't say I'd expect more from a RMS fag though.

>he didn't say a single thing about rms
Emacs is the better environment, vim has the better keybinds. Modal editing sucks ass though

Use evil mode

I want to finally get away from nano.
Redpill me on vim vs emacs

just use vim, apparently you're not paying attention

Vim if you want a fast, lightweight texteditor.
Emacs if you want an environment that can do file management, email stuff, terminal emulation, document (pdf, ...) and web (html, ...) exporting etc. out of the box

Depends on your workflow, really.

Thanks.

>there's people blaming emacs because they stretch their fingers instead of moving the arm

My personal experience as somebody who doesn't like either a whole pile but ended up using Vim:

Vim has quite a few problems that are never getting fixed because it's a terminal application, such as being unable to bind Ctrl+i and tab simultaneously, or not being able to leave the cursor in a position off screen. I think emacs in terminal mode shares these as well.

As an autist for whom theming and syntax highlighting are very important, Vim has given me a much better time customizing both areas. Especially for theming in particular emacs was a rabbit hole I gave up on pretty early on.

Vim has some frankly bizarre behavior where you need to bind keybinds to other keybinds in some cases (for example binding Ctrl+h to mean Ctrl+w followed by h in order to remap switching between splits). It has a dirty feeling.

Vim's claimed benefits of substantial editing speed improvement seem so-so to me. Even if I learn to navigate with hjkl instead of arrow keys in vim this isn't a keybinding system that anything else on my system shares so my hands end up migrating back to arrow keys as soon as I have to use anything else which is pretty constant with external documentation, compiling, debugging, chat, etc.

Vim is more widely installed (and smaller) and I've ended up becoming very familiar with it just from having to do sysadmin things.

Emacs' default configuration is gargantuan and labyrinth and was a real bitch to try to untangle and rework into the editor I wanted.

that still uses your pinkey, which you want to minimize use of

Learn to move your arm instead of stretching your fingers.

moving your arm would move your fingers off the homerow, which will compromise efficiency

>default keybindings are a good measure of quality for an extensible platform such as emacs

Pianist move their arm and they can play fast passages anyways.
You can learn to move your arm and reposition it fast enough to avoid the supposed issues of "left the home row"

I mostly need it for sysadmin or hobby stuff as well, so I'm going with Vim.
Been mostly using nano since Vim has been somewhat annoying to use and I haven't dedicated any time to actually getting used to it.

>Especially for theming in particular emacs was a rabbit hole I gave up on pretty early on
You're either a retard or never even tried emacs.
Just press "M-x customize" and you get a intuitive website-like interface that you can click in to change the apperance of every single thing in emacs
btw. nice reddit-spacing

Not at all, that's the thing I was using. It's been a while but as I recall there were about ten thousand classes, it wasn't clear what any of them did and the process of overwriting them was breathtakingly slow. Apologies for the gaps, usually I leave them in for editing because it's easier to read them close them up before posting, forgot that time.

You can install any of a decent number of premade themes from melpa. Then you just m-x load-theme.

No doubt you can, but I like to apply my own theme.

>I don't even use many keybinds yet (C-spc, M-f, M-b, M-w, C-w, ...)
savage

>How should I remap them?
you only should remap ctrl
remove Lock = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
add Control = Control_L

execute this file with xmodmap

Modal editing rocks. I also thought it's bad(after having used Macroshit Downdows for almost 20 years), yet now I get repulsed by having writing more than 3 lines of text without vim.

When you're 99.999% inserting text and don't come back nor make changes, then "always insert" is more sensible. When doing any non-trivial text-editing, vim is much better.

pianists also stretch their fingers to execute key (chords), just like in emacs
but when you press the key with your palm you don't need to stretch your pinkey, or move your arm since the palm naturally rests on the ctrl key.
I only rebind ctrl if I'm working on my laptop, where it's not possible to press the control key with my palm due to the shape of the keyboard

Pianists don't play fast passages for 3 hours straight.
The real solution is ergo.

>Even if I learn to navigate with hjkl instead of arrow keys in vim

Vim has lots of comfy "move forward/backward a word/sentence/paragraph" and move to the next occurence of character. Plus to search text I just press "/" and cycle with "n" and "p". ctrl+f in most applications is really awkward to use.

With splits, the best way I've experienced yet is "Super+Arrow" to move around the splits plus gt/gb to cycle through tabs. None of that whole ctrl+tab nor alt+tab shit feels correct(unless I have 3 tabs). I haven't done anything like that in vim yet, though it seems like a good idea. Currently I use Ctrl+w then to move around splits.

>Vim's claimed benefits of substantial editing speed improvement seem so-so to me.

When doing minor, easy stuff - sure there isn't much improvement. What I like is comfort. There are always a multitude of easy ways to move around text.

When doing complex editing, vim is the best yet: delete a line with "dd", or delete a paragraph, or run ":s"(substitute) on any number of lines to change whatever fits a regex into whatever else. Repeat last command with ".", recording macros with "qq" then "@q" to repeat a long, specific chain of commands and motions. It's a lot, lot of small things, that add up to an amazing experience.

> he doesn't know about the trick

>3 hours straight
you're a light-weight
but you're not wrong either

ergoemacs.org/emacs/swap_CapsLock_Ctrl.html
Personally I dislike xah, but in this case he's right.

Use evil mode

>the trick
everyone knows the trick
uninstall emacs garbage (if you were dumb enough to install to begin with)
install vim

>he types for more than 3 hours without breaks
I usually type for 5-10 minutes, think, 5-10 minutes and so on. 3 hours was an intentional overestimate. Even in my hobby projects i rarely type for more than 20 minutes.
What trivialities do you program that you can write 3 hours straight without stopping to think about something? Documentation?

vim is already installed though

I use a lot of the stuff you mentioned, like the search and some of the jump commands. I can't use super to do anything because that's my i3 key but I use ctrl+hjkl to move around splits instead. I just don't find using hjkl to be enormously constructive and I find that the speed improvements these bring are counteracted by other things which are slower.
For example it takes me much longer to do find replaces because every god damn thing in the regex needs escaping and the use of / in the find/replace command makes it very hard to read, plus doing find replace over a selection requires some utterly disgusting syntax (unless there's a nicer way I've missed so far). I also spend more time fixing up after a copy/paste because I always take too much or too little (like taking an extra new line at the end).

like what?

third post, best post.

Swapping caps lock with control is nigger tier.

Modal editing makes sense for complicated editing tasks, for which you could just create an emacs macro.
General movement and programming is quicker using search or mouse

btw. I was using vim for about 3 years because I was too lazy to learn emacs

No. its your body telling you to install EVIL

arthritis

Non issue if you have a decent keyboard that lets you

Yep, I trying it right now and it takes some time getting used to (Still catching myself using my pinky sometimes) but it is pretty damn comfortable as my palm is right above the ctrl key

S P A C E M A C S
P
A
C
E
M
A
C
S

Attached: 68747470733a2f2f7777772e6e61737365722e73706163652f696d67732f73706163656d6163732d6c6f676f2e706e67[1]. (500x500, 88K)

I know many people (including myself) that used spacemacs for a while and liked it quite a lot but then for some reason drop it because you want your unique setup.

In general it's pretty great though, especially for converting vim beginners.

vim is love
vim is life
we don't convert
we're not tranny's

>wtf
>is this healthy?
This whole board can't stand up for more than 5mins.

Vimuser.org

>not using acme

I ain't using that shit
Linux was a bitch to learn, I don't wanna relearn it

>Vimuser.org
he cute

Emacs user here, I respect that. You're love/life/not-trannies, We're the uberman.