/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This thread is for people who want to be big braned on GNU +Linux.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %builtin/keyword%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: .png (1895x1181, 880K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SZU-em6URmw
linuxbrew.sh/
codecademy.com/learn/learn-the-command-line
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What distro do you guys recommend for the absolute beginner that wants to learn about Linux?

Android

Gentoo

Gentoo provides a nice handbook.

I'm writing out notes for installing Arch. My question relates to this part:
pacman -S xorg
pacman -S mesa xf86-video-nouveau
pacman -S i3 rxvt-unicode dmenu
pacman -S xorg-xinit
cp /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc ~/.xinitrc
vi ~/.xinitrc > exec i3
vi ~/.zprofile > if [[ ! $DISPLAY && $XDG_VTNR -eq 1 ]]; then
> exec startx
> fi

Does the order of how I install stuff matter? I don't know if I should compact all those pacman lines into one. Thanks

install gentoo

No, if you're missing anything pacman will tell you.

Windows isn't spying on you confirmed finally we can go back to using it. Windows is baste.

Attached: capture.png (1173x578, 324K)

Try a handful of them on Live USBs and pick one that you like

New Luke Smith Video boys

youtube.com/watch?v=SZU-em6URmw

Attached: file.png (761x761, 766K)

I'm a girl.

Thanks I disliked it.

Ubuntu and the Arch wiki. The Arch wiki is divine. Some user a few days ago posted a link to a very good site covering the whole of the *nix experience, hopefully they're here and they do repost it again.

Is Xubuntu fine?

The best kind of ubuntu

Why do people talk about this in /fglt/ again?
I just skimmed through a couple sections and it sounds like just a bunch of random shit that has nothing to do with computers or GNU/Linux

I did actually use that some years ago, it was fine and I preferred it to vanilla. It was snappy on my then old laptop. If it's still the same then you can't go wrong with it, other current users can confirm this.

Guys I want to install Linux for development purposes. I've used Arch in the past and don't want to use it for this. Neither do I want to use Ubuntu (bloated spyware) Debian (bad experience because it didn't let me use DVDs out of the box) or Mint (seems geared towards noobs/casuals).
I just want something stable, that updates and when I update my IDE doesn't shit the bed. Thanks a lot

Most of the videos do. This one is esoteric only for big braned people sorry if you don't fit that category

Debian has DVD images, can you further explain your problem?

I meant I stuck in a DVD movie but before I could just watch it like a sane person on Windows can I had to install some "evil proprietary software" first. I don't give a shit about the Stallman philosophy since it's something as basic as a DVD.

Sounds like half your problem is you never learn how to install any of these distros. Like, I don't know what you were doing with Debian, and you should seek out net install images for most other distros if you want to avoid bloat.

You probably want Fedora though.

Arch or gentoo.
I'd say arch.
>development
Between the native packages and aur, you'd have the most up to date system without compiling everything from source.
The meme that every update "breaks" arch is just that, a meme.
You dont have to update everyday, once a month is sufficient as long as you read the arch page for manual interaction announcements.

Yeah, so the Jews erected a paywall around being able to play DVDs, and nobody who doesn't want to get sued distributes free DVD player software in the rich world. Most distros skirt this by having separate repos like Debian non-free or RPMFusion in Fedora.

>Ubuntu (bloated spyware)
Bitch where?

I recommend Windows based on your post

big braned? It just sounds like a crash course on common sense

bloat is a meme
spyware is the amazon thingy

It's just an icon that links to a website on the default browser THAT'S ALL. Remove it and move on.

feel free to make only one call to pacman
it will be faster as well

just saying why it is brought up. canonical still isn't living that whole debacle down even though it hasn't been a thing for many releases now.

dmenu is deprecated. rofi is superior

Ubuntu sends shit from the first second you boot it.

linuxbrew.sh/
Thoughts?

Stupid and unnecessary.

lolwut

Ubuntu has a minimal installer that installs firefox over core files, and that's it. It will ask you if you want the full version or minimal when you install it. Like said, it's just a shortcut. They removed all that scopes shit years ago.

Attached: 1526766849570.png (528x361, 32K)

there is also the opt-out of system usage data option at install starting with 18.04, many people wanted them to make it opt-in.

I have tried a lot of distros, Jow Forums
but I can't really find a home
help

Linux is a kernel.

I want to install Windows 10 and GNU/Debian in my old laptop (fresh install). 500 GB HDD
My plan is to divide it in the following way:
>200 GB, "Basic Data", NTFS, Windows 10
>50 GB, "/", ext4, GNU/Debian
>200 GB, "/home", ext4, GNU/Debian
but I remember have a problem in other computer with partition limits years ago, so I google it
>wiki.debian.org/Partition
ok, so
>install windows 10 from usb
>windows installer: delete all partitions and create a new 200 GB
>install debian from usb
>debian installer: create "/" to 50 GB and "/home" to 200 GB
but, in windows and debian installer... Which should I set as Primary, Extended or Logical?

Attached: me.jpg (800x450, 59K)

Arch, Debian, Gentoo

>I want to install Windows 10

Attached: 1482201509502.gif (250x250, 993K)

>arch
good selection of packages, but updates super frequently and sometimes if you wait too long between updating, updates will break your shit
>debian
very stable, even in their testing branch. but doesn't have a huge selection of (especially new, hip) packages
>gentoo
systemdless is a huge plus, lots of configurability, but there are no official binaries and compiling everything is honestly a chore

I CAN'T DECIDE

Come home to Debian.

Attached: 1542411394831.png (2267x1763, 685K)

>Friendly

Anyone here have a realtek rtl8821ce card running something debian based? I canĀ“t get these goddamn drivers to compile.

Post proofs

>I want to install Windows 10

Attached: pathetic.jpg (2048x2048, 943K)

>ubuntu-report
- sends hardware informations
+ ubuntu-report -f send no
+ block access to metrics.ubuntu.com

>popularity-contest
- sends software informations
+ apt purge popularity-contest
+ rm /etc/cron.daily/popularity-contest

>whoopsie
- can send crash reports
- connects to canonical servers at boot
+ apt purge whoopsie

>50-motd-news
- sends informations, receives motd news/ads
+ set ENABLED=0 in /etc/default/motd-news

>geoclue/geoip
- connects to canonical servers at boot
+ gsettings set com.ubuntu.geoip geoip-url ""

>lightdm
- pings uccs.landscape.canonical.com at login
+ set Servers= in /etc/remote-login-service.conf

i just wanted a comfy KDE distro with rolling release packages on my laptop
>debian unstable for a few months
>one day an update removes 90% of my packages
>gentoo for a few months
>one day Xorg server refuses to start and it's impossible (for me) to fix or find a solution
>not liking opensuse
guess it's time to admit I'm a normie and use Kubuntu

Arch

KDE Neon

Manjaro KDE is pretty good. Even Arch is more stable than debian unstable on account Arch uses stable packages you know.

Install the distro I'm using; it's the best for everyone.

are you fucking kidding, that distro is (bloat/outdated/a pain in the ass)!

Distro hoppers are the worst.
Stop switching distros already.
There's a problem? Learn to fix it.

Attached: 1541993232686.jpg (600x551, 118K)

what distro has filepicker thumbnails?

void

What you say would be a good path for someone to be on become proficient in GNU/Linux as in actually understanding it from a technical standpoint? Would learning bash and it's alternatives be an important step?
t. Linux Mint user

imo understanding the shell (BASH or equivalent) is the biggest thing you can do and the basics are pretty easy. I did the command line course on codecademy in one setting and came out of it as if I had an epiphany and everything made sense. After that I understood compiling from source and never did any blind copypasting into the terminal just because I had a good grasp on understanding it.

basically learning bash, and learning the gnu coreutils are the biggest steps you can take
after that you should learn c

I would have thought as much. Although, I have a problem with motivation to learn how to use the shell when everything is easier with GUI. I know it's more powerful to operate with the shell, but I don't *understand* how so. Does a problem like this resolve itself simply by using it (kinda like the phase Windows users go through when don't understand how good GNU/Linux is until they try it)?

well there are things like browsing the web that are easier with GUI
and simple file management like renaming shit and drag and dropping is probably easier with GUI
its when you want things to happen in a very specific way that the CLI is easier
also there are some things you literally can't do without using bash, so

This course doesn't take too long and is really nice with clear explanations and instructions and a working bash shell inside the browser. Takes maybe 2 or 3 hours and you will come out of it with a good understanding of the shell. I thought it was pretty fun.

codecademy.com/learn/learn-the-command-line

Don't forget about tab completion. You don't need to type everything out. Partially type what you want and press tab to auto complete. Makes things easy instead of tedious.

Okay, thanks.

What are some nice cli tricks?

convert bait.jpg -fx "min(u*1.22-0.3,0.9)" \( switch.jpg -gamma 25 \) \( -clone 0 -tile pattern:gray25 -draw "color 0,0 reset" \) -composite ppm:-|convert - +gamma 0.02 LOL.png

This crashed my computer now grub is gone

How good is the GPD Win as a productivity machine? I'm done with (((smart))) phones but still want a portable pocket computer that can run Emacs.

I don't recommend having Windows on the same drive as Linux. If you need to run Windows programs you should have Winderps on a spare drive or try wine or a vm.

To complicate things further. . .

>good selection of packages, but updates super frequently and sometimes if you wait too long between updating, updates will break your shit
Manjaro lags behind Arch to avoid bugs

>very stable, even in their testing branch. but doesn't have a huge selection of (especially new, hip) packages
Debian is popular enough that there may by a repo or specific instructions on compiling form source.

>systemdless is a huge plus, lots of configurability, but there are no official binaries and compiling everything is honestly a chore
Thare are distros basd on Gentoo that have binaries

You should look into Void. It meets you're criteria aside form maybe packaging.

> arch
Bloated.

> debian
Bloated.

> Gentoo
Fucking Bloated.

Prove me wrong

don't care too much about his podcast videos, but I watched one of his tutorial videos on latex yesterday and it was really good
>no annoying cuts every third word like some other people do
>practical examples while explaining what's going on in a good pace
that's all I want from a video tutorial, yet they are so rare

I can't because bloated is a relative term.
Good job, you exploited a basic mechanic of English. Pat yourself on the back and fuck off to whatever subreddit you came from.

His thumbnail game is strong

Attached: file.png (1292x834, 1.4M)

for((;j=--i;));do for((d=LINES;s=++j**3%COLUMNS,--d;));do printf '%*s.\n' "$s";done;sleep .1;done

Linux SUCKS. Why? Because:

1)Command lines/Lack of GUI's

Why the fvck would I want to use a command line? I have a modern computer, capable of displaying color and icons. Why should their be a command line? And further, why doesn't everything have a gui? Gui's are good, and easy, and don't require me to learn commands. Yey for Gui's.

2)Root/sudo is stupid.

Why on earth should I have to deal with either using sudo or running as root to actually use my programs? I still can't get a lot of programs to run because they keep whining about permissions. What ever happened to good old admin accounts? Why does sudo break everything?

3)Apt-get

Now this is just plane stupid. Why is it so damn hard to install anything? I have a desktop, why not do it the way it should be done? I get the installer icon, click on it, press forward a few times, wait, and have a nice icon on my desktop. Why isn't it done this way?

4)Compiling

Again, stupid. Just give me a fvcking installer program. None of this compiling sh1t.

Come on Linux. The rest of the world has moved beyond 1990. It's time for you to do so also. I'm giving up and installing windows.

>le Arch wiki maymay

Is it even updated?

I am sorry sir, but this bank does not hand out You's for free.

What's the most reliable desktop Linux? Don't say Arch or Gentoo because they aren't reliable.

I want to setup something lightweight for checking mail and light browsing on a 32-bit PowerPC mac with 1G of ram. reccs?

0/10; not even worth a bait image.

None of these things are required.

>Command lines/Lack of GUI's
False. Most distributions have nice GUIs to do all the things you want.

>Why should their be a command line
Windows also has a command line retard. It comes with CMD AND Powershell.

>Root/sudo is stupid
No. You are a brainlet.

>Why is it so damn hard to install anything?
It's infinitely easier than Windows to install things due to repositories. Use a GUI package manager or a simple terminal command, and done. No going to websites and downloading and installing exes.

>Apt-get
This is a package manager that isn't exclusive to Linux as a whole. Also there are GUI frontends for it and others for brainlets.

>icons on desktop
Trashy. But there is nothing stopping you from doing this.

>Compiling
You shouldn't ever need if you stick with popular distros as most things will be in repos and even for fringe things are PPAs among other things set up for this. Even if you do 'need' to compile something it's as easy as following simple instructions on a github page.

>I'm giving up and installing windows.
Good idea.

Attached: Picture by and of me Timothy James Byrne in my rented flat in High Wycombe Buckinghamshire England t (1149x1186, 891K)

I like his content, however, I hate his facial hair (just go clean cut, bro), and I hate how obviously he browses Jow Forums.

>Does the order of how I install stuff matter?
not at all, put them all on one line
pacman will figure out the appropriate order on its own

>Command lines/Lack of GUI's
There's no lack in GUIs. Most GUI development kits out there are made from Linux.

>2)Root/sudo is stupid.
But clicking yes everytime you install something isn't? It's literally the same exact thing with a Linux policy kit.

>3)Apt-get
That is a package manager for .deb packages. Has nothing to do with Linux kernel or any Unix based Linux operating system.

4)Compiling
You'd rather install outdated binaries than have the latest security and features in any given software?

>I'm giving up and installing windows.

You'd hate it. Buy an iPad.

Linux is a kernel.

This is pasta.

>arch
>bloated
Why did you install so many program you didnt want?
Base and base-devel are something like sub 500mb install

arch's packages are bloated, retard
also, the base install of arch is more like 1.5gb

>arch's packages are bloated, retard
Only if you're a debian meme
>also, the base install of arch is more like 1.5gb
No, base and base-devel are 586mb

Is there any real difference between fdisk and gdisk these days?
fdisk seems to handle GPT just fine.

Attached: 1453303126171.png (233x279, 31K)

no, but akarin a shit and so are you for liking her

Which package provides the w command?

$ xbps-query -o $(which w)
procps-ng-3.3.15_1: /usr/bin/w (regular file)

What malloc should be used in the system overall?

The one your libc has.

jemalloc?
tcmalloc?
ssmalloc?

fuck off sperg