I finally got the wireless working

Sent from my OpenBSD

Attached: OpenBaSeD.png (1280x1290, 1.07M)

Other urls found in this thread:

man.openbsd.org/iwn.4#FILES
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

joys of OpenBSD

Based

now do this

Attached: 2018-11-11-1541990963.png (568x510, 30K)

FUCKING HOW?????

>systemdick

read the fucking manual

please get off the internet, grandpa

man 8 ifconfig

I booted to a Tails live CD to confirm that my wireless adapter actually worked. I then used the command "lspci" to list all the devices and their names. I made a note of the make and model of the wireless adapter. I found out that OpenBSD does not yet have drivers for that make/model.

I then booted into Tails on a different model laptop and used "lspci" to find the make/model of it's wireless card. I found OpenBSD drivers for that wireless card.

Then I physically swapped the wireless cards between the 2 laptops. I ran "fw_update" on the original laptop with the new wireless adapter. It found the drivers and installed them. Then I ran "ifconfig" to see the interface name of the wireless adapter (in my case it is iwn0). I then followed the instructions of "man hostname.if" and made a hostname file (hostname.iwn0) and put it in the /etc/ directory. The hostname.iwn0 file told my wireless adapter to automatically connect to the wifi. I rebooted and it automatically connected.

Attached: OpenBaSeD-1.jpg (1024x1007, 166K)

>systemd

literal witchcraft

Jesus, let's meet and fuck, user

Attached: 1511312278144.jpg (379x298, 25K)

I think I will stay on Linux...

Attached: a3e4480e816a1b1e9eb37f9791f96739d31c96417f55ba1e1811decc0d0a9b2a.jpg (452x697, 41K)

Good job! They do mention it in the manual. OpenBSD comes with the driver for your card, but not the nonfree firmware.
>These firmware files are not free because Intel refuses to grant distribution rights without contractual obligations. As a result, even though OpenBSD includes the driver, the firmware files cannot be included and users have to download these files on their own.
>A prepackaged version of the firmware can be installed using fw_update(1).
man.openbsd.org/iwn.4#FILES
I keep around a $10 USB wireless adapter that doesn't need firmware for initial install on laptops. If I have it plugged in on first boot, fw_update picks up the firmware for the builtin card automatically. Saves having to take apart the laptop to swap cards.

Tits or GTFO.

>2020
>reeBSD can't into wireless
keked

BSD and Openpilled

on my x220 I just need to install non-free firmware

Hush, child

Hi, this is Predesh from Google. Would you be interested in working for us?

Underrated post
>I keep around a $10 USB wireless adapter that doesn't need firmware for initial install on laptops. If I have it plugged in on first boot, fw_update picks up the firmware for the builtin card automatically. Saves having to take apart the laptop to swap cards.
Good thinking, 99

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 9K)

>he doesn't know SSDs have builtin garbage collector and trim is useless feature unless on 1st gen SSD which only idiot would buy

Oh he knows. It's the same guy who shitposts in every BSD thread.

bsd is a meme

Damn, that is some commitment. Nice job

you didn't need tails for any of that just run pcidump or check dmesg in openbsd to check wireless card or if you're extra lazy just run fw_update -a and see if it works

Fuck off, zoomer

He still would've needed another net interface to run fw_update. Either ethernet or wireless/ethernet USB adapter.

I do installation and first boot with fw_update with ethernet. At least ramdisk already uses the firmware so you don't need to go through this on every base system update.

who tries to install openbsd without an ethernet port?

Why would you want your server to have wireless?

Lots of new laptops need a dongle.

whoever's wifi works on install disk

absolutely childs play compared to what i went through with boutique 8 in 8 out unsupported firewire soundcard ... a 5 year journey

Attached: Lost Soul image.jpg (630x420, 47K)

>>I keep around a $10 USB wireless adapter that doesn't need firmware for initial install on laptops

i just use my iphone internet tethered over usb cable ... i have never had it not work on any system

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-25 14-52-09.png (1440x900, 875K)

Dmesg didn't show anything about the wireless adapter that wasn't supported. That's why I thought that maybe the wireless adapter was physically broken/missing. Booting into another OS confirmed that the wireless adapter was functional.

Yes, I did have an ethernet connection the entire time.

so what was wrong? was it actually just missing the firmware all along?

The model of ethernet adapter wasn't supported by OpenBSD. The OS wouldn't detect it.