Since Linux is just a kernel and not an operating system, would it actually be possible to get Windows to run on Linux?

Since Linux is just a kernel and not an operating system, would it actually be possible to get Windows to run on Linux?

Attached: pandatogibbonml.png (470x178, 111K)

Yes, but you have to open the source to bisect the windows userland from NT in order to translate NT syscalls to Linux.

it would basically be (functionally) wine on linux, youd still be missing all the apis in the windows kernel. If you implement those then you have a clone. You'd have to get ahold of so much source code...

Why would you want to, though? NT is a far superior, and infinitely more modern, kernel to Linux. It'd be like trying to port it to MS-DOS.

>NT is a far superior, and infinitely more modern
Nice try, micro kike
NT can't compete with Linux because it's not designed to make use of higher number of cores. Which is why you see close to absolute 0 windows systems in mainframes and supercomputers.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-17 A Look At The Windows 10 vs Linux Performance On AMD Threadripper 2990WX - Pho (1548x7072, 765K)

Windows is actually windows + the gates kernel

>Windows RAM Limit 24TB, you pay $20,000
>Linux RAM Limit 64TB, you pay $0
>Runs on x86, POWER, Itanium, has a wide variety of supported file systems, configurable, royalty free and runs on practically every device on the planet
Windows is an os for cucks

vm

Nice try buddy

Attached: kek.png (717x436, 314K)

WSL is a translation layer from *nix syscalls to windows ones, so basically if MS really does love open source like they pretend successfully, then they'd be open to translating them the other way, basically making Windows a DE for *nix kernel like macOS, but it would still be fairly compromised just like macOS because their closed source middleware and drivers so benefits would be slim.

huh... i feel like trying tumbleweed now

>it's not designed to make use of higher number of cores
The average number of cores for a device on earth: approximately 2 - so, irrelevant.

>Windows RAM Limit 24TB, you pay $20,000
>Linux RAM Limit 64TB, you pay $0
Average amount of ram for a device on earth: about 1GB - so, irrelevant.,

>Runs on x86, POWER, Itanium, has a wide variety of supported file systems, configurable, royalty free and runs on practically every device on the planet
People installing Windows care about one architecture: x86 - so, irrelevant.

At least the other faggots actually tried to make arguments, irrelevant as they were.

>i-it doesn't count
low energy

Attached: 1540655590694.jpg (267x297, 13K)

>1GB ram

Attached: 1542166053087.png (457x472, 79K)

@68533621
>being this poor

Honest question, what's keeping MS from releasing the source code of the NT kernel? They shouldn't have a problem with it as long as they keep the OS itself closed source, and there would be people unironically willing to use it for supercomputers and shit, and develop software for it in general.

>this fucking captcha

Attached: IMG_20181117_184608.jpg (1004x777, 87K)

These are pretty shitty counter-arguments. Can I have better ones?

Fine digits. Because they don't want to - and under copyright law, that's the only one they need.

yes, its called wine

i didnt even consider mine a counter argument so no. the 1GB ram made me chuckle

>1GB
Imagine being this poor

You - yes you, some guy in a basement - can actually view any and all of the Windows source code if you sign an NDA (and of course go to Seattle).

>imagine being so stupid as to not know all that embedded out there with 16KB RAM
Though, in your slightest defense, much of that of course isn't running WIndows.

Windows can't run on anything with less than 1GB RAM without swapping while idle, so that's irrelevant

>Talk about architectures
>lol muh x86 and 1GB RAM

>Talk about poorfaggotry of using 1GB
>lol muh architectures

>installs NT 4.0 without swapfile in 32MB
I'm sorry, come again?

Yes, I know you get confused easily with multiple-point arguments. Don't worry, there'll be a shiny thing come by soon that it'll make it all OK for you.

>>installs NT 4.0 without swapfile in 32MB
Where do you get that?

ITT: the "Linux is a kernel" parrots fail to understand "NT is a kernel".

Last I checked NT 4.0 wasn't supported, user

Damn you want THESE in Linux?

Attached: 1539157306862.png (794x591, 56K)

>come again?
Yes, I said NT 4 is DEPRECATED

Yeah no shit, I'm just saying it might be better for them since they can keep charging people for Windows but still get advantages of being open source like people working for you For Free™. Either way, it's the only way they have if they want to kill Linux for good. I've heard some pretty good stuff about the NT kernel.

Wasn't aware of that, but that has nothing to do with what I was saying.

>people working for you For Free™
Insider program.

>good stuff about the NT kernel.
Like how non-portable, non-scallable that piece of shit NT is?

>you can run linux under windows, but not windows under linux

Wow, another win for india.

Posted from my WSL terminal

you, your comments and your likely future response are irrelevant.

Don't care, worth watching (You) get triggered.

>get collectively BTFO
>"haha u mad I was only pretending"

>non-portable
Runs on all architectures that matter.
>non-scalable
Runs great on the computers that matter.

Nah, wasn't pretending. Any more than you are pretending to wet yourself, anyway.

Freetards are incapable of BTFOing anything - much less these three brain-damaged ones on an underwater basket-weaving board.

only irrelevant tards like you get triggered, the rest of us are literally laughing at you, which I wasn't aware of when I made my first post, but now that I've read the rest of the thread, it's clear that I'm far from the only person who thinks you're a moron.

>haha made you respond

dumbest response in Jow Forums, it's what all the retards say when they get put in their place by relevant people.

>no u: the post
Sure thing, kiddo.

>triggering Jow Forums
wew lad, you sure showed them

>the rest of us are literally laughing at you
You very may well be. That would bother me if you mattered even slightly. But you don't - ergo, it doesn't.

You seem to be anally devastated enough to reply to me again kek

>anally devastated
Funny way of writing "surprisingly amused".

>Runs great on the computers that matter.
Poorfag 1GB RAM gaming station does not matter.

I'm just wired wrong - I get a kick out of little words on a screen actually thinking they can make me feel bad or something.

Yea if by "amused" you mean "anally devastated" why not LOL

Attached: 1539175231259.jpg (960x960, 64K)

Nah, meant "surprisingly amused". Hence why I wrote, you know, "surprisingly amused".

>I'm just wired wrong
We know

Attached: 1536236152434.png (500x400, 14K)

It should be, so long as you translate the syscalls to the .NET kernel or whatever they got going on inside their blobs.
That being said I don't think anyone wants windows cancer in Linux. Windows and desktops are dying platforms, let them die. MS is still alive because of their azure systems that host Linux.

Why is tumbleweed so good?

>supercomputers
Hilariously, the place where open source gets traction for actually being open source (rather than being free as in beer) - when you have paid teams of dedicated programmers to work on it.

>Windows and desktops are dying platforms
>if I say for the 20 trillionth time, it might come true!

>shilling a multi billion dollar company
>this desperately
>for free
What a loser

>five pack

Attached: Aww, tanks d00d.png (348x190, 7K)

Sorry, arguing with an unemployed beta orbiting microsh**t NPC is not a good use of my time.

Attached: Facts don't care about your feelings.png (960x1200, 302K)

>unexpectedly Freudian ad-hom
Top graph: those desktops are being killed by laptops - an even larger proportion of them are running Windows than desktops.
Bottom graph: conflating phones, iPods, and other toys with real personal computers. You gotta stop doing that.

>five pack
>with a freebe

Attached: freebe.jpg (398x308, 38K)

One each isn't much, but I'll take (You). Ta anons.

Reminds me of the long shot I did on /b/ recently where I changed everything to (You) and posters to 1.

Keep going, Seething doesn't impress me

Attached: Facts don't care about your feelings.png (955x2061, 729K)

You know, you could have gotten away with just posting the bottom half, as you posted the top half only a few minutes ago?

you're welcome (You)

I have no idea what you're talking about, are you implying that I've fraudulated my posts!?!?? HOW DARE (YOU)!?!?!

Attached: implying.jpg (654x323, 52K)

I ACCUSE (YOU) OF FRAUDULENTULATING THESE POSTS! (YOU) SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF (YOU)RSELF!

(Me)
>tfw when you're aiming for /b/ grade, but slip into the abyss of /s4s/

that is an utterly disgusting assumption
GOOD DAY SIR!
I will see my ass out
You should be ashamed posting such rubbish without proofs

Attached: fraud.jpg (711x103, 20K)

>oops!
tee-hee

(You) (Me)
I like this format - makes it clear that you're samefagging or correcting yourself - but fuck does it look odd on this end. And after I hit Post, it'll be (You) (You) (Me).

Your reward for such fraudulent fraud is fraudy thousand keks.

The actual issue is NUMA awareness, not core counts.

ITT: come for the troll, stay for the derail

Of course, Microsoft could make a Windows/Linux if they wanted, they just need to implement their proprietary shit under the hood. Hell, even freetards could make a decently working "Windows" if they open sourced shit like DirectX.

whatis: Jow Forums

I AM SADDENED TO FIND THIS ONCE FINE THREAD BEING PULLED BACK ON COURSE.
As it turns out, anons can actually emotionally manipulate me - by doing the right thing.

I thought Jow Forums and such were supposed to be more resistant to this sort of thing, though.

>I thought Jow Forums and such were supposed to be more resistant to this sort of thing, though.
if only this were true, but alas it is not
perhaps if I stopped posting, it would happen less ;-P

That issue was already fixed. And mainframes don't use Windows for the obvious reason: it's closed sourced. They always get a BSD or Linux and make a distro based on their needs, it's not like they grab just Ubuntu and put on super computers.

>I thought Jow Forums and such were supposed to be more resistant to this sort of thing, though.
sup newfriend

Jow Forums is leddit general, what was you expecting

Yeah, running supercomputers, mainframes and servers are irrelevant.

It doesn't run Fortnite, so who cares.
#pcmasterrace

Nope, Windows API is closed source and reverse engineering has been proven to create zombie distros that end up failing and no one gives a shit because they bring the worst of both worlds

>be me
>omnipotent beyond-lifeform from another continuum
>stunning resemblance to that fine actor, John de Lancie
>sitting in a really cool chair in 1987
>except it isn't 1987, it's sometime 40-80 years into the future
>(of now, not 1987. AWW FUCK DON'T CONFUSE ME)
>my chair actually flies
>(well, it doesn't actually-actually fly, it's on this arm driven around by a forklift or some shit - but it sure as hell looks like it's flying to those starving mutants down below me)
>EXCEPT THOSE AREN'T STARVING MUTANTS - THEY'RE ACTORS ON A FAMOUS SYDICATED SCI-FI SERIES
>my not really flying chair lifts up, away from the not really starving mutants
>and as I disappear into the darkness behind me
>(SHIT I FORGOT TO MENTION THE DARKNESS BEHIND ME, where I can appear and disappear from enigmatically)
>it's also very handy for hiding stage equipment and personnel
>I say
>(except I don't say, I merely move my mouth because we'll have to be overdubbed to remove the sound of the aforementioned forklift)
>SEE YOU... OUT THERE... ON >and tanks for da (You) fren :D

Thank-(You) anons.

Yep, pretty much this. And thank-(You).

Read the OP again

NT is a neglected implementation of fundamentally saner design, and Linux is a highly evolved and expanded version of a shit design.

Asynchronous processing was baked into NT at the earliest stages of its design (aka steal every good idea from VMS), while AIO in Linux in a complete fucking joke that barely works with block-mode devices and not at all with the network stack, forcing poll-style muxing of event streams with any one of the several different APIs for that.

Attached: Dave Cutler quote - UNIX is a junk os designed by a committee of PhDs.jpg (850x400, 51K)

tldr; (except that I did)
have a (Me) for prosperity
It's all (You)rs

Kill yourself.

Attached: dead inside.png (549x413, 90K)

can i get a quick rundown on clearlinux?

Try outside now

Attached: dead outside.jpg (549x413, 45K)

i miss playing kerbal

Windows NT is essentially a fork from 90s era BSD with monkey patches cobbled on to run on modern hardware, and a cluster fuck of ad hoc extensions to support various gimmick fotm features that have accumulated over the years. The problem is the closed source windows kernel and windows applications have only been designed to run with each other, tons of corner cutting shortcuts were developed as hacks to get features bolted on quickly. Even if there was some translation layers the OS would just fall apart from the jury rigged hacks holding it together. Most propriety shit like windows ans mac os ends looking like train wreck under the covers, only working due to limited sets of configurations its designed to operate within.