How much of a meme are these colorimeter? got the pro version of pic related for 99€ from amazon flash sale...

how much of a meme are these colorimeter? got the pro version of pic related for 99€ from amazon flash sale. I've read the only difference of the 3 versions comes from the software and plan to use DisplayCal with it

Attached: spyer5.jpg (1600x1200, 395K)

Other urls found in this thread:

old.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/9xmjxo/does_calibration_persist_during_games/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Are you colorblind? Just use your eyes.

Attached: vacuum.jpg (803x803, 64K)

Spyders aren't as good as their colormunki counterparts but IIRC the 5 was a big improvement over 4. They occasionally go on sale for fairly cheap so they're not a bad option imo. For calibrating a sRGB profile it's probably fine.

>Are you colorblind?
nope. but I wanted to know how much of a difference this thing can make

Actually I forgot to mention, in my experience spyder is finicky with displaycal. Personally the pro software isn't bad, it's limited in options but enough for a hobby photographer or artist for example.

For you? Not much. These are for professionals in the visual arts & sciences.

Why do you need a tool to see how colorful something is?

>Actually I forgot to mention, in my experience spyder is finicky with displaycal
care to explain further? I've watched 2 yt vids so far of people going step by step through the setup process with a spyder 5 in displaycal without any problems. do you mean the process goes through but the colors aren't accurate?

Everyone should get one. It fixes a lot of issues with budget monitors and old monitors whose colors have drifted. Plus you can pick your white point. I prefer 5800k

to get the best possible colors from my displays. I know quality control is basically none-existing for monitors and wanted to know what experience you guys made with one

Maybe the spyder 5 works better but the spyder 4 would not be discovered by displaycal even with the correct drivers

ah ok. gotcha

You know what I did instead of wasting money on memes? I got some paint sample cards and used those and my eyes, I spent no money and it took me half an hour to get both my screens to look the same.

well if I don't like it I can still return it within 14 days to amazon and get my money back. before buying it I checked ebay though and they are going for over 99€ there. so I could sell it there and make a profit

Why a meme?
It gives your monitor the most accurate colors possible.

>Calibrating your monitor using your eyes
Now that's a meme

>Why a meme?
that is what I want to know. have you used any before? if so what difference did it make?

Seriously though.
Most monitors are pretty well calibrated in the factory nowadays and don't deviate too much from "accurate colors".
Unless you're a professional and absolutely need perfect color accuracy, it's not worth it.

I still use my spyder3 express I bought a decade ago. I just looked for free serials from the web and turned it to elite back then.

>Most monitors are pretty well calibrated in the factory nowadays
not true. maybe for high end eizos and dells. but asus, acer, lg and samsung try to literally shit out as many monitors for as low of a cost as possible. they have no quality control. they might have control, but actual quality is no part of that
>and don't deviate too much from "accurate colors"
while that might be true, they won't be as accurate as when calibrated with a colorimeter

>perfect color accuracy meme
>in reality printers don't print standard
>in reality you have to compensate for normies with the shittiest monitors

Attached: certcount-copy.jpg (640x427, 49K)

>Most monitors are pretty well calibrated
they will drift over time. It's not as bad as when we used to have cold cathode backlighting, those you had to calibrate once a month, but LED still degrades over time. And it depends on the monitor. Personally I wouldn't trust anything mainstream other than Dell ultrasharps and perhaps some of the nicer gaming monitors. But calibration gives you a lot of options like targeting specific white points, brightness, and adjusting down wide gamut monitors to sRGB, and so forth.

I bought and returned 2 different spyder4, because they both turned my monitors into a greenish yellow mess.
I'm not the only one with that problem either, so there's something fucky with that entire product line.
They were the standard version though. Apparently with the pro model you have more control over the calibration, but what's the point of buying one if you have to eyeball and adjust the colors in the end anyways?

So I just changed the colors on my other monitors according to my Cintiq which is properly calibrated and I haven't touched calibration tools since.

>they will drift over time
>Implying you'll notice a difference between ΔE=2.3 and ΔE=2.6

well lets see the spyder5 version does not have any of these problems. I can will also try displayCal if the spyder software won't work properly

I got the iDisplayPro, calibrated, then returned as not working back to Amazon, it makes color more accurate but at the expense of contrast/gradients. might be worth it if you calibrate against overclocked monitor

they sorta work sometimes. i've had mixed results with led backlit LCDs.

displaycal seems to generate junk profiles with my i1-display3, but gnome colord's profile using the same colorimeter seems good. not sure how well spyders are.

>not having a laptop with a built-in colorimeter

is this the stone ages?

Attached: aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGFwdG9wbWFnLmNvbS9pbWFnZXMvdXBsb2Fkcy81MjQ0L2cvbGVub3ZvLXRoaW5rcGFkLXA1MS0wMDcuanBn (775x500, 51K)

I got a colormunki display about a year ago, it's been a bit of a mixed bag. The biggest issue is that for some applications (see: gaming with an nvidia card) you'll 99% of the time have to inject your colour LUT using reshade because games are allowed to overwrite the video card's own LUT where the colour correction is stored afaik.

are you using w7 or w10? i've read about this. but someone wrote a comment that since w10 update 1803 windows is more strict and forces the icc profile even if a game is run in exclusive fullscreen

I for one am actually colorblind.

old.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/9xmjxo/does_calibration_persist_during_games/
here is the thread. I know I know. leddit and all. but who is actually correct from these comments?

Fuck off. You're not OP.

No but I am colorblind you dingus.

>Source engine games are famous for it
That's probably why I never noticed. I'll go back in with a test calibration (colours are fucked on purpose so you know it's enabled) at some point soon and test some games I guess.

>open the curtains
>the colors are wrong
Amazing purchase! Response time > refresh rate > contrast > viewing angles > color accuracy.

This isn't for video games buddy

Yes, this is for your eyes not bleeding from scrolling.

try
-nogammaramp

as a custom launch parameter for source games

ty fampai

these budget colourimeters use plastic filters that yellow as they age; your airquotes "calibration" gets more and more blue-shifted.
two years on the shelf and they're visibly out of spec, in five years everything you create comes off the print line looking like the deus ex reboot.

and if I leave it in the package it comes with, not exposed to sunlight with a room humidity of 40% and a temp of 19°c ?

I have one, it sort of sucks. Works almost fine with IPS, but it's absolutely terrible for every other panel. You'd calibrate a TN or a CRT better with your own eyes.

whats the name of the one you have?

still happens. you'll rationalise it away with "my monitor is drifting" or "i shouldn't have updated the software"

>>open the curtains
>>the colors are wrong
it sits against the screen for a reason

I bought one to calibrate my TV with and then sent it back to the store for a full refund.

Unless you have a really good monitor and do pro work it's not worth it. Also to calibrate a HDTV properly you need a tone generator which is expensive as fuck. They are a meme for most users. Find your model on Google and use someone elses calibrated settings to get a semblance of what the display should look like. It won't be far off. Not enough to notice with the naked eye at least.

pretty sure whatever calibration the OEM use is objectively better than any color meter that you can buy off amazon

Blatantly false.

Pretty sure OEMs don't calibrate.

Every monitor I bought so far came with a calibration info sheet

Spyder 5 express.
Good color after 1-2 calibrations on IPS
Good color but too dark on CRT
Terrible, off color on a TN.

>Terrible, off color on a TN.
yikes

Just purchased a Colormunki for 99. That + DisplayCal should be fine for most things.

here's a meme for firefox:

gfx.color_management.mode 1
gfx.color_management.enablev4 true

Attached: 1524268915321.png (799x619, 15K)

>Xeon
>Thinkpad
>Built in Colorimeter

I think I just came user

pretty helpful for shitty monitors but you might as well use the extra cash to just outright buy a better monitor.

>buy a better monitor
no such thing. I'll just buy the cheapest 144hz tn with freesync and wait it out until oleds kick into full production in 2021+
like already said in there is no quality in monitors unless you get a 1k+ eizo/dell or an apple retina

Smells like bullshit to me. I've had a spyder4pro for like 7 years and my monitors calibrated for 5800k are still nowhere near as blue as the monitors at work or a 6500k out of box preset. If the white point is drifting it's not by much.

Can you not just use an Android phone?

Colorimeters aren't worth it unless you have a high end monitor that supports a LUT. If you perform color correction in the OS/driver settings on an 8-bit display you are going to get banding artifacts in gradients. Most people don't have a monitor that supports a LUT.

DisplayCal can create an ICC profile + a LUT you can import to apps that supports them

i mean dont you only have to calibrate it once and then you can sell it or return it? i was considering getting one but i really question just how different it will make my monitor.

is it possible to manually change these calibrations ettings? i can only find those crummy in monitor rgb values

not true. 10bit sources that are transfered to an 8bit panel will be dithered by your gpu's drivers

for accurate color preservation it is adviced to use the colorimeter once every 30 days.
>is it possible to manually change these calibrations ettings
nope. the software takes care of that. how much your color shifts over time can only be evaluated by using the tool again

monitor colour can shift? i question the real world affect of this, this seems like marketing stuff to me

I've always wanted one, but couldn't justify the cost. I hate calibrating using the monitor buttons and it's hard to find the right settings when you set it up perfectly for one test and then the next looks like complete shit. So you fix it again, but now you're failing the first test again. Fuck monitor calibration man.

nice dubs

LEDs lose brightness over time. but I agree that calibrating every month seems overkill

Eh, color calibration itself isn't a meme.
Once I properly calibrated my monitor for 100cd/m^2 the blue harshness was gone and I didn't need to use nightlight things at all.

Um, those calibrators also detect ambient light temperature. Most also have a mode where if you leave it plugged in it'll automatically adjust based on how the light in the room changes but really what you should do is just calibrate while you have good, natural light and then use artificial light of around the same color temperature.

>>is it possible to manually change these calibrations ettings
Yeah, it is, but you'll be doing it blind, so to say.

That's really a suggestion for "professionals".

HAHA I see what you did there

>Once I properly calibrated my monitor for 100cd/m^2 the blue harshness was gone
Ask me how I know you
1) don't have a colorimeter
2) have never ever in your life calibrated a display
3) probably have a DSLR, take shit pictures and "fix it all in post"

For the blind

Considering all three of those are incorrect, I'll take a stab at "wild guess" for $1,000.

Wrong.
>calibrated my monitor for 100cd/m^2
You supposedly calibrated your monitor for a specific brightness level. And a very dim one, too. 100cd/m2 is borderline unusable on even a dimly lit room.
>the blue harshness was gone
Color temperature doesn't change with brightness unless you're using a CRT, and CRTs don't have "blue harshness", so that's clearly not the case.
>what you should do is just calibrate while you have good, natural light
Colorimeters have a seal around them so their readings aren't affected by ambient light.

t. I calibrate every single display I get with a LaCie Blue Eye Pro.

Not on my GPU/OS.

>You supposedly calibrated your monitor for a specific brightness level. And a very dim one, too. 100cd/m2 is borderline unusable on even a dimly lit room.
Wrong.
>Color temperature doesn't change with brightness unless you're using a CRT, and CRTs don't have "blue harshness", so that's clearly not the case.
Brightness is an important factor, though. It's not just that there is blue light, it's that it is bright. A lot of displays have the blue cranked up quite high in their defaults, which you come to realize once you calibrate the monitor and then compare your calibrated profile with beforehand.
So it's a combination of calibrating for a reasonable brightness level, and the color calibration itself.
>Colorimeters have a seal around them so their readings aren't affected by ambient light.
You have the option with some colorimeters(which you should take) of testing the ambient light when calibrating your display, which involves placing the colorimeter on your desk so it can measure light levels.

>I calibrate every single display I get with a LaCie Blue Eye Pro.
>When used in conjunction with the supplied Ambient Light Diffuser, the LaCie blue eye pro colorimeter can also help you analyze the lighting characteristics of your working environment and compare them to ISO-recommended conditions for color work.
Do you even know the features of your colorimeter?

>Wrong
Do you posess the eyes of a cat, perhaps?
>So it's a combination of calibrating for a reasonable brightness level, and the color calibration itself.
Exactly, and that's why your "100cd/m2 calibration" didn't make the blue harshness go away. Because you've never performed such a thing.
>You have the option with some colorimeters(which you should take) of testing the ambient light when calibrating your display, which involves placing the colorimeter on your desk so it can measure light levels.
That's great and all, but that's for you to fix your damn lighting yourself, it has fuckall to do with the monitor calibration.
>Do you even know the features of your colorimeter?
I do, and I have measured the lighting conditions of my room and they're absolute garbage. But my monitors are spot-on 6500K.

>Do you posess the eyes of a cat, perhaps?
No, it's just a suitable brightness for how much natural light my room gets and how bright my artificial lighting is. Calibrating to that brightness sets 43 on the brightness setting of my monitor, so it's kinda middle of the road.
>Exactly, and that's why your "100cd/m2 calibration" didn't make the blue harshness go away. Because you've never performed such a thing.
Baseless assumption because talking from your ass.
>That's great and all, but that's for you to fix your damn lighting yourself, it has fuckall to do with the monitor calibration.
It has a lot to do with calibration because ambient lighting affects the color you see from the monitor, which is part of the picture in calibration.
>I do, and I have measured the lighting conditions of my room and they're absolute garbage. But my monitors are spot-on 6500K.
That's nice, you managed a color temperature at least.

Your eyes are awful at judging light accurately. It’s like your camera on auto settings. One bright spot and your iris closes and makes everything else look darker.

Attached: 7429ED79-D7E5-42D6-AAAD-7F111C0431A4.png (220x293, 149K)