/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This thread is for people who want to be big braned on GNU +Linux.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %builtin/keyword%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1539613088611.png (1000x922, 1.01M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/raw/hECqj8Dj
pastebin.com/DvC1NDsr
choosealicense.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Freedom.

>op image

Don't care virgin

All GNU/Linux users are virgins, this is like an autistic guy calling another autistic guy autistic as an insult.

>minimal manjaro install - 870 packages
Everything you said is false. You can go as minimal as you want from the architect iso. You really think that there is just a single option available. Lmfao. There are 13 spins.

>updates can actually break the whole system
More likely to happen on Arch. The entire reason Manjaro exists is to hold back packages that are causing issues in Arch until it is resolved.

Attached: file.png (332x400, 240K)

I created a new lvm logical volume,used mkfs on it and then mounted,but 'blkid' does not list the volume.However the other logical volumes i have on the same volume do show up in blkid.
How do i find the new uuid of the new mount point?

lvdisplay

That command produces different uuid's(They are different and are 2 characters longer ) then blkid and then those that are in my fstab for the other already created and mounted logical volumes

i prefer the term untainted

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid

Even if the format is different, did you you try it in fstab?

>tfw no GNU/questions to ask
This was more fun when I had problems

Attached: 1542153816686.png (796x1060, 407K)

Is MX Linux the ultimate systemd free distro?

Attached: desktop.png (1366x766, 1.36M)

It seems probable that this feeling is why people jump down the rabbit hole of more difficult distributions and wms.

What do you like about your preferred distribution and DE and what sets it apart from all of the others?

Attached: wojak88.nocrop.jpg (807x935, 107K)

You haven't read user horror stories if you think the Manjaro devs actually do their job of holding packages that'll break the system back. Manjaro shouldn't be a thing, if anything it should be a fork of the Arch repository that you can use in place of the normal repository that holds back packages, there is no need for a whole fucking distro.

Thats not how you spell Slackware

Slackware - it follows UNIX philosophy, it is nearly as old as the kernel itself (meaning a lot of community support), and lets me manage my own dependencies

>all that bloat
I think you mean Salix nigger

Attached: punch.jpg (785x757, 119K)

I want to discuss what people think about the current release schedule of debian. I know they have been like that for ong:
testing gets feed from tested packages from unstable, gets freezed and turned into stable, then testing goes back to normal and stable stays that way with bug fixes for like 2 years or more. Packages on stable become really old so 2 years of that is somewhat nuts, I think they really should make more stable releases. Since in the period stable is not being released they are just spinning in circles the testing and unstable branch without actually doing nothing at the end, I mean they will go through several versions of packages, bug fixes may not apply from version to version so they are basically wasting energy by keeping that, from the release of stable to the next release the versions change a lot and bug fixes made by debian maybe don't even persist.
> What do you think of their release schedule?
> Do you use testing?

All bloat is optional is you choose a base system in installer

I use ubuntu and think its ok.

List god tier fonts? I'll start: Terminus

Attached: surge.jpg (638x1000, 92K)

>terminus
Tewi is so much better

>slackware
>bloat

Attached: asdasdsad.jpg (1366x768, 408K)

KDE Neon
>Stable base
>DE is both as up-to-date as possible and stable
>DE has a bunch of things I like and
>Distro cuts out most redundant software options between base and DE, leaving the default installation pretty light

Let's put it this way: the worst thing about Neon is that KDE doesn't have great theming options.

What are you running the background to have 1.8 gb of RAM needed

Attached: static.jpg (180x204, 8K)

Give me one reason not to install ArchLabs right now

Attached: 1540699791178.jpg (750x850, 118K)

Linux*

>pic related without qutebrowser

Attached: shot.jpg (1366x768, 427K)

>Tewi
lemon is much better

>annoyed at how I don't see/know anyway to apply what I know about BASH that I can't easily do on GUI or any need to expand knowledge
>too scared to switch to harder distro because I'm afraid to do irreparable damage/unable to do anything because I lack necessary knowledge
>progress I do make is invisible in that it feels like I haven't learned anything
Is there anyway to remedy this?

It's not one of the big three.

>You haven't read user horror stories if you think the Manjaro devs actually do their job of holding packages
I've been using it for over 4 years and had no issues so it seems that these 'horror stories' must be due to user error. I switched because Arch updates broke something significant once or twice a year, things that were fixable and the forum blew up with posts about immediately but I'd rather not deal with. These are the things that Manjaro holds back.

>Manjaro shouldn't be a thing, if anything it should be a fork of the Arch repository that you can use in place of the normal repository that holds back packages, there is no need for a whole fucking distro.
Bad take. They're doing an awesome job.

Attached: 1580028084657.png (820x440, 95K)

It's pretty cool. Go for it.

At least as far as using a more involved distro, install it in a VM and dick around with it there first to get a hang of what to do.

You could fuck it right up and just delete it afterward with no risk to your current setup.

still on the quest to make the url-handler script work. xdg-open parses the link properly but if i click on the link, the script/parsing fails or whatever. works for anything that isn't a youtube/twitch/vimeo link for now.
#/bin/sh

# streams
echo $1 | grep -q 'youtube.com/\|youtu.be/\|twitch.tv/\|vimeo.com/'
if [ $? -ne 1 ] ; then
streamlink $1 360p --player=mpv
return
fi

# videos/animations
echo $1 | grep -q '.mp4\|.mkv\|.webm\|.gif\|.wmv'
if [ $? -ne 1 ] ; then
mpv --loop-file $1
return
fi

# images
echo $1 | grep -q '.png\|.jpg\|.jpeg\|.tif'
if [ $? -ne 1 ] ; then
feh --auto-zoom --scale-down -g 800x600 $1
return
fi

# documents
echo $1 | grep -q '.pdf\|.epub\|.djvu\|.ps\|.xps\|.xhtml\|.cbz'
if [ $? -ne 1 ] ; then
TMPFILE=$(mktemp)
wget -O $TMPFILE $1
mupdf $TMPFILE
rm $TMPFILE
return
fi

# audio
echo $1 | grep -q '.opus\|.flac\|.mp3\|.wav\|.ogg\|.aac\|.wma'
if [ $? -ne 1 ] ; then
mpv --player-operation-mode=pseudo-gui $1
return
fi

firefox -no-remote '$1'

desktop file

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=x-url-handler
Comment=
TryExec=
Exec=[CANT USE $HOME FOR SOME REASON]/.local/bin/x-url-handler.sh %u
Icon=
Terminal=false
StartupWMClass=
Type=Application
Categories=Network;
MimeType=
X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=1.0

why are manjaro faggots so resilient?
Is the most retarded distribution to use and has been debunked several fucking times, I don't even understand if it's a massive bait or raid.
>buggy untested base
>devs hardly can code
>security is a fucking joke
>package number is low so you have to use a shit untrusted binaries mirror mantained by users with unaudited code
why don't you retards just use ubuntu? it's made off a stable distribution, debian testing, the packages are very modular compared to arch since they come from debian. Or just fucking use debian in the first place? If what you are looking is more up to date packages you have fedora or suse tumbleweed which are also very stable even though they have smaller repositories than debian, same as arch but with stability, security, speed and even more lightweight.
You are just being hipsters using something no sane hobbyst hacker or professional would ever use, even arch is more stable since it has no pajeet middle man adding botnets to its packages

How do you properly seek in mpv on very long local files.Even playing with the seek cache and caching(giving it 10gb) it STILL cannot seek on large long files and locks up and has to be forced closed.

>still uses if/else grep instead of case
did you learn anything from the last thread?

Blow it out your ass

Attached: 1532706919047.png (500x500, 26K)

There is no reason to. It differs in no way from Arch.
What?
No. There is no need for a whole distro. This is something that can be done with a repository fork, there is absolutely no need for a full distro, it's a waste of time for the devs to develop a whole distro.

stupid frogposter

Always quote your variables.

Attached: 1396650350954.jpg (403x403, 113K)

>tfw install manjaro and and switch to arch repos

it's a penguin

Attached: 1533076530844.jpg (750x1000, 48K)

What do you guys think about void linux? I had never installed a distro that didn't come with a DE right after installation, but I wanted to try building it myself so I gave void a try.

I installed xorg, xterm and i3. When using startx some white xterm terminals appear, so then I launch i3. The problem is that closing the xterm terminals results in going back to the black starting terminal. What if I just wanted to have my wallpaper and nothing else? I'm not sure how to set up i3

Based off of pepe. It's a penguin variant of a retarded frog meme.

He still didn't post a frog so no frogposter

Void is a meme.

>pepe
>retarded
you mean apu?

dumb frogposter

Does systemd phone home to google?

How large are we talking about? I've never had that happen and I would assume mpv just seeks using libav which should be the best.

Slow/remote drive?

No.

Really? I also tried arch but I liked the way the void installer guides you trough the process quite seamlessly, and people seem to praise that it doesn't use systemd and stuff.

Now I didn't have any problems with arch itself, I just didn't really know how to do a lot of stuff because I'm used to distros coming with some default programs by default.

No, a frog meme that is retarded, not a meme of a frog that is retarded.
You have to set the default display manager, then reboot the system. The display manager will appear upon reboot and you will be able to load into i3.

>home
wat

u r retarded

Yes, it sends all your d!́́͝͠[̸̧͠&̢̀¤̸̴̛̀́)̨͜#̶̶̸͘͞ it doesn't send anything at all.

no u

Background removed to produce a superior image brother HH.

It's a penguin

Attached: file.png (750x1000, 205K)

No, but if you use systemd-resolved it defaults(falls back) to google DNS.

based

Why is this allowed? What other shady stuff I don't know about?

Attached: smug apu tux.png (699x485, 23K)

That's the last straw, I'm done with systemd.

>What other shady stuff I don't know about?
There's too much for any single person to know, it's best if you just stop asking questions.

currently playing with case/esac, that was just what i had working at the moment, dropped zathura because it did not open epub files for some reason.
variables quoted and case/esac used where i could:

Did they just send a push message to your npc receiver?

Is that something that can be adjusted?

Why do more and more distros continue to adopt systemd?

pastebin.com/raw/hECqj8Dj

How does a 1MB image of that resolution have image quality that poor?

Looks much better.

Catch the youtube etc stuff at the top
*youtube*|*etc*

Only at build time. Pretty much nobody builds systemd themselves so it's up to the distro.

can you make this version of apu?

I should also point out that most systems, even those using systemd, do not use systemd-resolved. It's just more useless bloat.

What's the best retard-friendly distro with KDE?

KDE Neon? Kubuntu? openSUSE? PCLinuxOS?

>systemd falls back to Google nameservers when no nameservers are configured.
Non issue. And would be the fault of the distro. I doubt any relevant distro will allow this to happen and if you were really worried about this you would configure it yourself.

4 things have to happen for this fallback.

1 You do not have DNS set up via DHCP
2 You do not have DNS set up via /etc/resolv.conf
3 You are using systemd-resolved for internal DNS resolution
4 You have not configured systemd-resolved with a different policy for when no discoverable DNS is available and /etc/resolv.conf contains nothing or invalid entries.

gentoo + kde

It looks good to me and is fairly large.

Kubuntu objectively.

I can't use runelite.
I am low IQ and can't figure out how to fix this. I'm using Ubuntu 18.10
It gives me this error:

java -jar RuneLite.jar
2018-11-17 18:55:05 [main] INFO net.runelite.launcher.Launcher - Setting hardware acceleration to OPENGL
2018-11-17 18:55:06 [main] ERROR net.runelite.launcher.Launcher - error fetching bootstrap
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.Alert.createSSLException(Alert.java:128)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.Alert.createSSLException(Alert.java:117)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:308)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.Alert$AlertConsumer.consume(Alert.java:279)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.dispatch(TransportContext.java:181)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLTransport.decode(SSLTransport.java:164)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.decode(SSLSocketImpl.java:1152)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readHandshakeRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:1063)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:402)
at java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsClient.afterConnect(HttpsClient.java:567)
at java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.https.AbstractDelegateHttpsURLConnection.connect(AbstractDelegateHttpsURLConnection.java:185)
at java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream0(HttpURLConnection.java:1581)
at java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1509)
at java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsURLConnectionImpl.getInputStream(HttpsURLConnectionImpl.java:245)
at net.runelite.launcher.Launcher.getBootstrap(Launcher.java:265)
at net.runelite.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:168)

It's worth noting that KDE Neon claims to not be a distro. The main reason being, that KDE Neon comes out of the box with little to no software pre-installed. In other words, no Office Suite, media player, graphics application, etc. The main apps included are KWrite and Firefox, in addition to those included in KDE Applications. So Neon users get to mold their OS a bit more out of the box. Some looking for a full distro experience may find Kubuntu a bit better experience post-installation, whereas more power users may like Neon's minimalist installation to allow them to decide what apps are needed on their system.

One potential drawback to Neon is that it's based on Ubuntu's LTS release (currently Xenial), which is getting a bit long in the tooth at the moment. This can create issues for some things like gaming, for instance, where newer kernels and newer versions of the entire graphics stack are most definitely desirable. Of course this can be remedied with adding appropriate PPA's, but may be a bit of a hassle for some.

Overall, as mentioned above, they have decidedly different target audiences. And both are great additions to the KDE Community. Finally, I will also add that the current crop of Kubuntu Devs do a great job in getting major KDE releases back-ported in a timely fashion. Much better than they have historically. I suspect that this is due to KDE Plasma being a more mature product, so there are likely less worries about major incompatibilities and breakages. I have no problem recommending either, although I suspect most Neon users don't need to me to recommend it for them, as they are savy enough to know what's best for them, and likely know that there is a little more work involved in getting things 'just right' for them.

>How large are we talking about?
Upwards of 10+ gb and over 10 hours long.Some even 1gb and 2 hours long after about 2 minutes of seeking it stops seeking and twiddles its thumbs

>Slow/remote drive?
2 disk RAID-0 Samsung 860 PRO 1TB
Its used as a scratch drive to record videos.

>TLS handshake_failure
It's kind of vague. Maybe you don't have the necessary CA certs or your system clock is off.

c-complete
#/bin/sh

case "${1:?}" in
*youtube.com/*|*youtu.be/*|*twitch.tv/*|*vimeo.com/*) # streams
streamlink "$1" 360p --player=mpv
return
;;
*.mp4|*.mkv|*.webm|*.gif|*.wmv) # videos/animations
mpv --loop-file "$1"
return
;;
*.png|*.jpg|*.jpeg|*.tif|*.tiff) # images
feh --auto-zoom --scale-down -g 800x600 "$1"
return
;;
*.pdf|*.epub|*.djvu|*.ps|*.xps|*.xhtml|*.cbz) # documents
TMPFILE=$(mktemp)
wget -O "$TMPFILE" "$1"
mupdf "$TMPFILE"
rm "$TMPFILE"
return
;;
*.opus|*.flac|*.mp3|*.wav|*.ogg|*.aac|*.wma) # audio
mpv --player-operation-mode=pseudo-gui "$1"
return
;;
esac

firefox -new-instance -private -no-remote -P private -new-window "$1"

Attached: 1542336647312.jpg (360x360, 16K)

Oh, that's much bigger than anything I work with. Anyway there's an eternal mpv thread on Jow Forums.

Otherwise go to the mpv github to report your issue.

>[embed]
what a great way to ruin the script pastebin.com/DvC1NDsr

Very nice.

I updated certs and my system clock is correct

You don't need return in case, ;; breaks.

Here you go. Good idea. Any more requests?

Thanks for sharing your project, but it looks like you haven't specified a license.

When you make a creative work (which includes code), the work is under exclusive copyright by default. Unless you include a license that specifies otherwise, nobody else can use, copy, distribute, or modify your work without being at risk of take-downs, shake-downs, or litigation. Once the work has other contributors (each a copyright holder), “nobody” starts including you.

choosealicense.com

okay thanks
that's it for now

Reposting image to make a touchup. This one's a little cleaner.

Attached: file.png (750x1000, 149K)

case "$(file -b --mime-type -- "$1")" in
video/*)
# ...
;;
image/*)
# ...
;;
esac

Also with globs you can do *.{mp4,mkv,webm,etc..}

license is GPL v3 out of respect for this user .

Attached: 1542337110790.png (529x735, 325K)

werks for me just having openjdk headless installed.
what requirements did you apt install beforehand?

yay for freedom