Why are monitors such shitty technology? You're always making a compromise no matter what

Why are monitors such shitty technology? You're always making a compromise no matter what.

TN - Cheap, best response times, highest refresh rates, good blacks but shitty colors, piss filters, and cheap gaymer gimmicks.

VA - Good colors, best blacks, good refresh rates and typically pretty affordable but awful response times, scenes where the screen goes dark results in smudging and generally companies use the same shitty gaymer aesthetic.

IPS - Best viewing angles and colors (Besides black) but typically are a lot of money for higher refresh rates, input lag and IPS glow.

Why is it so hard to find a good monitor? Even brands differentiate. LG always has weird resolutions with monitor sizes, like 21:9 1080p, who the fuck wants that? Dell is expensive as hell. BenQ and MSI only make gaymer shit. Acer and ASUS only good monitors are overpriced gaymer shit. Then you have sketchy cheap brands like Pixio and others which get hit or miss reviews.

What the hell man?

Attached: DSC_0151-800x450.jpg (800x450, 40K)

CRT

>different technologies are tradeoffs
Woah, stop the presses

CRT - Blurry shit.

I have this one, people say TN is bad, I disagree. They must be jealous poorfags

Attached: hero.jpg (1920x1300, 379K)

i use a nice 2560x1080 IPS panel for browsing and gayming
i use an older 1280x1024 Dell TN panel for "real work" which is mostly terminal stuff

>1280x1024

Attached: IKIFEEL.jpg (800x450, 24K)

Yeah do stop them
>mice sensors have an objective ranking and you can get practically perfect tracking nowadays
>internal components like ram, motherboards, cpus etc. all have objective rankings and you basically just have to choose your budget and you'll be able to select the single perfect choice, or multiple equivalent choices
>even the "tradeoff" between SSDs and HDDs is nothing more than price, if you are willing to pay more you could run a fucking 20TB NAS on SSDs and be happy
And yet when it comes to monitors you can have a budget of $10,000 and you'll still have to make some compromise on something. There literally does not exist a commercial display technology that doesn't fuck up in some area.

I don't get the association between IPS and input lag. Input lag comes from whatever scalers or other electronics the monitor has in the signal path from the input to the panel itself. It's not due to the panel technology. Do you perhaps mean response time?

Well, if you want to make an "infinite money" argument you can buy OLED which will look amazing and has low response time too. If/when it suffers from burn-in, just replace it, as money is no object.

>mice
There are tradeoffs to be had between different pointing devices (mouse, trackball, trackpoint, etc)
>internal components like ram, motherboards, cpus etc. all have objective rankings
Except when you throw stuff like ECC, registered/fb into the mix. e.g. UDIMMs are the most cost effective, but when you start getting to 3+ DIMMs per channel they go to shit, etc.
Also CPUs aren't objective, because they have so many different characteristics (single vs multi core performance, ECC support, I/O, MP, memory capacity, etc).
>>even the "tradeoff" between SSDs and HDDs is nothing more than price, if you are willing to pay more you could run a fucking 20TB NAS on SSDs and be happy
Price IS the tradeoff. You'd be far better off spending that money on mostly hard drives plus a few SSDs for caching.

Your comparisons mostly only hold water if you ignore price and only look at consumer-grade gear.

AOC monitors are good after some adjustments. They're also cheap.

>>internal components like ram, motherboards, cpus etc. all have objective rankings
>Except when you throw stuff like ECC, registered/fb into the mix. e.g. UDIMMs are the most cost effective, but when you start getting to 3+ DIMMs per channel they go to shit, etc.
>Also CPUs aren't objective, because they have so many different characteristics (single vs multi core performance, ECC support, I/O, MP, memory capacity, etc).
Everything you listed was fact, thus objective. Do you even know what objective means?
>Price IS the tradeoff. You'd be far better off spending that money on mostly hard drives plus a few SSDs for caching.
This is subjective.

>Do you even know what objective means?
Yes, unlike you, it seems.
You can rank individual specs objectively, and you may have certain hard requirements, but ranking the whole becomes subjective when you have that many factors. Unless, for example, you're shooting to optimize for one very specific use case, which is unlikely.

>falling for the input lag meme

Guaranteed you won't notice in 99% of use, and the extra 1% is just ultra competitive gaming which I hope you aren't actually doing. Just get a big bright IPS display and don't look at the ms

>you're shooting to optimize for one very specific use case, which is unlikely.
It is not unlikely at all you retard. You don't subjectively rank CPUs for anything. How retarded are you?

>It is not unlikely at all you retard
It's more unlikely than you'd think.
Desktops certainly aren't "single use case", and servers mostly aren't either (because you just run whatever VMs on them - e.g. a cloud provider has no idea what you're going to do with your VM instance).
Say one CPU scores higher on a benchmark for one game, while another scores higher on a benchmark for a different game. Both are objective measures, but you can't call one CPU objectively better than the other.

>You're always making a compromise no matter what.
Welcome to life, I guess?

>Buy Dell U2515h in 2016
Tfw it's one of best purchases I've made.
Got one with no backlight bleed or other problems

Attached: U2515H.jpg (4000x4000, 547K)

you have to be 18 to be on Jow Forums, you fucking retarded child.

Money is no object but constantly having to replace your monitor is cumbersome. Also, do high refresh rate (144Hz+), high resolution (at least 1440p, ideally 4k), large (27''+) OLED screens actually exist?

>Except when you throw stuff like ECC, registered/fb into the mix
Are any of these actually tradeoffs? I have never in my life needed to take a look at ECC memory but my impression was that it's essentially an extra feature that just costs more. Point being, if you wanted the "perfect" ram, you could still get it.
Same for CPUs, to a degree - I agree that some will be more optimised for single core, others for multicore, etc. But the differences are usually minor. With a monitor you might have the choice of washed out colours vs nasty backlight bleed; with CPUs you'll have to choose between double the cores or +5% single core performance, and the choice is obvious unless you have a very specific use case (and then the choice will still be obvious).

>price IS the tradeoff.
In practice, yes, but in theory if you wanted the "perfect" drive there's an objective answer to what you would get. Better technology costs more, wow! It's a completely different matter to "technology which costs more is better in some ways but also has notable drawbacks so it's really subjective whether it's better at all, and no technology exists that combines all the benefits".

For a desktop you just need to look at what you can afford and possibly what other hardware you already own. That gives you an objective way of making a choice. For a server you look at what you can afford and choose the one that will work best for what you are going to do on it. You do not know what is going to happen on a hired VPS or something, but you make your choice depending on what you want it to be capable of, not by guessing what your customers will do. You still haven't told us how it's a subjective choice nigger.

>>mice sensors have an objective ranking and you can get practically perfect tracking nowadays
Only a small selection of mice have perfect tracking so you are limited in choice, that's a compromise.
>>internal components like ram, motherboards, cpus etc. all have objective rankings and you basically just have to choose your budget and you'll be able to select the single perfect choice, or multiple equivalent choices
Compatibility and feature sets narrow your selection pool, that's a compromise.
>>even the "tradeoff" between SSDs and HDDs is nothing more than price
That's a compromise.

I'm not sure you understand what compromises are.

i want a u2715h but they're like $400

Attached: 1541536196921.png (500x500, 351K)

I'm not sure you understand what OP is even complaining about.

If you want to buy a good mouse, you can. You will get a mouse that has good tracking AND no acceleration AND no single snapping etc. etc. If you want to get a good storage device you can, and you will get a fast AND reliable AND large capacity storage device (unless you want like 12TB specifically in a single disk, that's the only thing you can't get with SSDs).

But if you want a good monitor (for a very stringent definition of good)? You CANNOT. You will get backlight bleed OR shitty colours OR washed out blacks OR poor response times OR shitty resolution and size and there is NOTHING you can do to avoid all of those at once.

So pick the best compromise for your needs and preferences and learn to live with it. This is what the real world is like, compromises are everywhere.

2560x1440 doesn't look good on 27"

n-nani? it's the sweet spot so i heard desu

Looks just right at 25". 27" should be fine too

iiyama. They make monitors since the CRT era and they have a conservative design

Been a while I haven't heard of that brand. Based. Wonder what they're up to

i like it on 25". on 27" or 32" i like 4k

>u2715h
shit is cash, excellent allrounder

>2560x1440 doesn't look good on 27"
?
this is pretty much the sweet spot right now
very sharp, big enough to run without scaling, reasonable GPU needed to run

>You will get a mouse that has good tracking AND no acceleration AND no single snapping etc. etc.
With 7 mouse buttons, wireless and fits my hand nicely?
>If you want to get a good storage device you can, and you will get a fast AND reliable AND large capacity storage device
But at a much greater cost than a slower drive. A literal compromise.

>But if you want a good monitor (for a very stringent definition of good)?
Get an Eizo monitor. What are you, poor?

I have a P2715Q and I love it

This is wrong.

That's a great monitor but it's too gaymery for me. I like my Dell S2716DG.

Attached: S2716DG.jpg (1280x720, 99K)

>Why is there a conspicuous gap in the market that is the key to what everyone wants

hm idk. figure it out and become a millionaire

>post gayman atrocity
>They must be jealous poorfags
yeah that must be it

life is about compromise unless you're a billionaire

I have that monitor, everything about it is perfect except the color banding literally looks like pic related.

Attached: rt71RiF[1].jpg (4192x2489, 710K)

>blurry
Never figured out the settings? If your CRT is blurry it's either broken or you suck at using the menu.

>you will get a fast AND reliable AND large capacity storage device (unless you want like 12TB specifically in a single disk, that's the only thing you can't get with SSDs).

I disagree, you compromise on the price.

And "CPU is objective" is wrong. There is a reason why some people won't move to knight landing's arch.

i'm in a weird spot desu.

i bought this 24" ips last year and it's really good. the colors on it are way better than my old benq but i did originally want the u2715h. i can't really justify spending the extra $170 for 3" though. i'm sure it's nice and monitors should last a couple builds but i just don't see the point in spending almost $500 on a monitor especially if it's only 60hz

Attached: 1542229162296.jpg (4032x3024, 1.78M)

>looking at (animu) pictures of cherry blossoms while the trees have lost their leaves outside
Don't worry, user, spring will come again.

>Point being, if you wanted the "perfect" ram, you could still get it
The trade off is that most desktop CPUs don't support it - meaning you're forced into a server CPU, which likely doesn't OC unless it's an older Xeon or something.
Registered DIMMs have worse latency than unbuffered.

i actually like the fall the most but spring is comfy

>that feel when there's no sony monitor

CRT is a much better technology than LCD.

1) Perfect black levels
2) Flawless off-axis viewing
3) Much faster refresh rate than LCD
4) Warmer, more natural image (thanks to scan lines and small granules)
5) Far longer life-span
6) Not subject to manufacture problems such as dead-pixels
7) Good range of compatibility with lower or non-standard resolutions without blurring

Given ultimate space and money the world's best CRT could easily crush the world's best LCD. So tell me Jow Forums, why do you like your inferior screens that companies such as Samsung have brainwashed you to think is better than what already existed? The only cost-savings are on their end.

And the funny thing is you guys keep buying this crappy LCD technology and giving away your free CRTs on Craigslist. A fool and his dollar are soon parted I guess.

And before you start yapping about IPS panels:
Enjoy your slow G2G response to switch pixels already, not to mention that hidden input and scalar lag. Luckily, CRT has no such bullshit.

The only semi-legitimate point I've heard against CRTs regards weight, but you don't bitch about the weight of a prospective couch while furniture shopping, do you? Didn't think so.

Attached: crt_comp.jpg (1024x768, 74K)

Disgusting.

Get a professional monitor from Eizo/NEC or something like that. Problem solved.

>And the funny thing is you guys keep buying this crappy LCD technology
Why did you word this as if people have a choice in 2018? Point me to the company still manufacturing new CRTs.

>AOC U3277PWQU
>32" 4K AMVA with 92% Adobe RGB 3000:1 contrast, +-1% backlight uniformity
>Bought for 500$ two years ago
>it's even cheaper now

Bwst purchase of my life.

Enjoy 6bit colors

micro LED is the ultimate destination

The new plasma.
A technology nobody can afford is virtually worthless

4K CRTs dont even exist so fuck off, your shit is dead

I have that one. Really great for the price. Colors suck but I wouldn't have been able to notice had I not I try to calibrate. Ended up factory resetting and have been happy ever since. Ignorance is bliss.

Attached: cyphersteak1.jpg (1905x792, 310K)

I'd buy a 4k CRT for $400. bedpilled and raced af

its fucking stupid that they dont make new CRTs anymore. they are litterally superior to LCDs.

I've been pretty satisfied with Samsung's QLED gayman monitor so far. It's VA I think. Best colors I've seen so far, beating the cheapo IPS Acer I have as a secondary monitor, 1440p, 144Hz, 1ms repsonse time. No problems with dark screens being smudgy. It also has HDR but that's a pretty useless feature on PC.

Sometimes the displayport doesn't recognize the signal upon startup when it's just a blank screen with some command prompt text in it, leading to some trouble while trying to get to BIOS settings or such. Switching to the other monitor helps for that though.

Attached: c32hg70.jpg (892x684, 64K)

>typically are a lot of money for higher refresh rates, input lag and IPS glow.
poorfag alert

if they just had this with a not gayman stand I would have bought it.

Attached: banana.jpg (272x272, 13K)

>(Besides black)
That's a meme, modern IPS have great blacks too.
Only reason to use VA over IPS is response time for muh games.

TN is literally useless. For except yeah, really low cost solutions.
OLED is still great for most things, except it's shit burn in problems that are getting better and better though.

TN is just worse than any other technology we have
So sure, it's not bad, it's just not worse than having nothing

How much 27 inch CRT display weights, and how much space it consumes on a desk?

fpbp
/thread

I've been using a hp zr30w for years now. It's still the best looking monitor I've ever owned but I do professional photography so its not really a gaymen monitor.

>That's a meme, modern IPS have great blacks too.
Really? I haven't seen one with more than 1:1300 static contrast, which is rather weak.
Which model and make?

>tfw still using an old flat viewsonic with perfect angle and no ips glow but lack that "gaymer" high refresh rate feature

Monitor technology did really moved backwards

How much space does it take? You're not putting things behind it.

>I have never in my life needed to take a look at ECC memory but my impression was that it's essentially an extra feature that just costs more.
ECC generally means lower frequency or looser timings. So you still have to choose between having the "best" RAM or having the best RAM with ECC.

Any one of them with selective backlight.

the fuck is selective backlight

I don't even use the RGB light on it, just DP connected to it and Power cable.
It's a pretty solid stand.

This is pasta, but why the fuck would you compare CRTs to obsolete LCDs? LCDs like the one in pic are very low end (I had that one actually... and yes it looked worse than my previous LG Flatron CRT)
But any decent monitor (now LEDs are most common anyway, not LCD) looks 20 times better than the shitty LCD in your pic, not perfect dark levels like a well calibrated Trinitron (only an OLED can match that), but certainly the difference today is not what that image from probably 2004 you are showing us.
Now excuse me I'm gonna kms for failing for this bait.

Attached: itsallsotireseome.jpg (396x358, 31K)

Deminishing returns and crazy margins for (gaming) shit.
My main screens are so bad I have to use my amoled phone mostly just because shit tn/ips/avma panels drive me nuts and I can always spot dead pixels backlight bleed and such
The day a decent affordable oled monitor comes out in 21:9 I'm fucking buying one

how are the black levels?

ya just put things on top of it instead.

wait for oleds in 2020

Can the VA meme stop please? New VA monitors have good response times.

U2715H on sale for $320

last VA I bought had terrible ghosting.
had to return it.

VA are all different.
I have two VA monitors, one is wide gamut, 8+2 bit, good response and overall great, the other was bought as a secondary and is utter shit.

With VA you should read all the specs, reviews and benchmarks to know what are you buying.

I tried to find a replacement for my broken Samsung 2333 1080p VA monitor, for ~€120.
i want great blacks and good colours, rest doesn't matter.

AMVA panels are the ones with good color.
The goodnes of the color is measured by the color space
>78% AdobeRGB = 100%sRGB = SHIT, office, gaming, 100$ chinese smartphone kind of display
>+92% Adobe RGB - breddy gud, juicy solors
>+98% - prfessional tier 500$ and more.

Filter your monitors by the color space/

What sort of adjustments?

Just calibration and turning off all the gimmicks.

I have the IPS version of that and it has that problem as well. Colors run together. Kind of sad about that.

>Tfw it's one of best purchases I've made
Same, but now that i want a second monitor its a huge pain in the ass
Nobody makes 25in 1440p screens, and these things have doubled in price now.

Fpbp
CRT

Pic related. Left is IPS, middle is CRT, right is TN. I stopped looking for the perfect monitor after I got the crt, because it truly is the perfect monitor.

Attached: 20181114_170519.jpg (5312x2988, 2.39M)