What OS would you choose for a vintage system? I was thinking windows 98 but wanna hear you guys' opinion

what OS would you choose for a vintage system? I was thinking windows 98 but wanna hear you guys' opinion

Attached: 998.jpg (1280x1024, 113K)

gentoo

Mac OS 9

why would I go with mac?

"vintage" could mean anything pre-64bit
what you plan to do with the thing decides for you what to run on it

Windows ME

Superior versions of DOS games, superior OS to Windows which stopped being tolerable with Win98. At least use 95.

depends how vintage you mean
if it were me I would probably just go with an os most suited to the system's spec/manufacture date

Lubuntu usually gets the job done for me personally. Though if you're up for it, I'd reccomend installing arch on it for maximum customization so you can get as much out of your dinosaur of a computer as possible.

Attached: image.jpg (2001x2865, 3.78M)

I don't think windows 7 32-bit can be considered vintage can it? it's not that old right?

I kinda wanted to base the pc around the OS

in that case I'd say go with ME

It really depends on what vintage you want and what platform you want. Most of us retro-luddites run multiple operating systems, I'm running Mac OS 8.5, 9, OS X 10.2-10.4, Windows NT4-XP and various unices on my "vintage" stuff. There's no one size fits all.

But really though, 9x is shit. The only reason to ever use it is poorly written video games that can't be run on a competent operating system that doesn't let programs shit all over whatever area of memory they want.

GNU/Linux on actually old hardware is pretty much just a meme when most of the software actually worth using on it is still targeted to modern multi-core systems with gigabytes of RAM. Unless you're paranoid about security or planning mostly on headless/server use there's not really a good reason to choose it over the software it was actually designed to run.

>crashes if you breathe wrong
FagOS 9 made even WinMe seem stable.

98SE is an excellent choice, OP. The DOS under it is also very backward compatible - handy if you're going full retro.

Windows XP

9x is far better at multitasking, but both operating systems are steaming piles of shit that fall over like a house of cards when provided with shitty drivers and software.

ubuntu 8 lts

>when provided with shitty drivers and software
Self-solving problem: it's been 20 years - anything hardware still working from that era is probably pretty good quality. This applies to a lesser extent to the software, too.

win2000 and nothing else

Windows NT 4.0

>Tfw Windows 7 is 11 years old

I rock Windows 95c on my Vintage HP Pavilion.

Attached: 95desktop.jpg (1024x768, 165K)

Hardware has nothing to do with it, it's buggy software that crusty, insecure 9x will happily let destroy whatever region of memory it pleases.
>This applies to a lesser extent to the software, too.
Uh, no, it absolutely does not.

I think you missed my point, user: quality hardware that lasts 20 years, probably came from a quality company, that probably pumped out quality drivers (that is, software) for it.

>that spartan systray
How fucking far we have fallen.

Attached: os9.png (1366x768, 163K)

>what OS would you choose for a vintage system?
It depends purely on the hardware. If 98SE has good support for it, then you should go with it, but if it's too new it'll be a problem.

Attached: glider.png (512x342, 6K)

Hardware and software are two very, very different things, and competence in one does not equate to competence in the other. Neither does it make you immune from bugs and edge cases.

Attached: Screenshot_20170427_063309.png (824x750, 711K)

Attached: Screenshot_20170427_063323.png (882x720, 739K)