I have choosen to finally learn for real programming so naturally i want to "start"(not a complete newbie) with a...

I have choosen to finally learn for real programming so naturally i want to "start"(not a complete newbie) with a language that will open up paths to other ones. So naturally i thought about C because its supposedly hard as fuck, low-level and every other language bases on it, but i also heard new programming languages have a syntax and are closer to C++ instead, so basically which should i choose for my foundation?

Attached: 32235235253.jpg (513x273, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/BDk8yAE8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Go

C++ is harder to learn than C and almost everything about C++ is idiosyncratic i.e. it's the only language which does shit that way.

If you're not actually interested in systems programming then there's no point learning either of these languages anyway. Learn something brainlet friendly like Python, Java or Go.

GO fuck yourself

>fucks self asynchronously

>status: abandoned

>If you're not actually interested in systems programming then there's no point learning either of these languages anyway
I disagree, if you for example want to learn C# but you only know Python it will be much harder than if you wanted to learn C# (or any other programming language really) and you knew C

>C because its supposedly hard as fuck
C is quite simple. Most people who struggle are the ones with no prior knowledge

I disagree. Python's semantics are closer to C#'s semantics than C's are. Getting caught up in syntax is a mistake.

Its not about syntax, C doesn't hold your hand, you have to actually think to use it, thats why its a great teaching language

C#

Don't make life hard for yourself.

This. The only real use cases for C are low level (read, resource constrained) systems or high performance computing.

No, it distracts you from core of what programming is by involving you in a model of computing and memory for an old cpu no one uses anymore.

seriously people who say stuff like this either don't know C or has some mental problems

Rust, you'll learn simultaneously low level concepts and how to not fuck them up if you'll ever need to use C or C++, and basic high level concepts if you ever move to a higher level language.

Its not about

>Why use C when there are better things DAE

Its about being prepared for any other language when the times come for a change

Its like military training, a hard as fuck one (C) may be a bit too much but it will get you ready for the worst situation better than an easy one (C#) even if most of the time outsides of this training you will not have to use things you learned on the harder (C) one.

By learning C you will learn any other programming language cause each one of them are based on it and so brainlet-friendly that you will not have any problem with them

Saying that C is "hard as fuck" is an obvious sign that you don't know what the fuck you are talking about, especially when C++ is also being discussed.

>learn C
>learn some c++, check its differences and similarities to C
>learn lua, embed it, see how it interacts with C (or c++)
>learn python, java, go, haskell
>learn more c++
>find a c# job

C
Everybody who claims him self to be know his field in computer science has to know C.

back it my days it was fortran

Yeah, as others have mentioned to learn C is not "hard as fuck". It's a rather simple language, as there are not overly many constructs.
It won't be so easy to build larger, fault-free systems in it, but learning it is rather easy.

>be me
>want to learn programming
>do minimal research
>now fluent in c# and nothing else

I love using function pointers and pointer arrays in C
The two features are very useful once you start dealing with embedded devices (I don't mean 8 bit ones since they're usually low on memory so pointers are wasteful, I mean the larger 32 bit ones like arm)

>It's a rather simple language,
This is why its hard

it's always that obsolete language that is everywhere

Function pointers may be comfy but std::function is even comfier.

>std::function
That's C++ isn't it? I know C++ but not as well as I'd like to. Like most other low level devs, I unfortunately only look at C++ as C with classes.
I don't use C++ very often either

i like c# but in some cases C excell it. if you want total controll over hardware this is what you need. if your resources are scarce C is the best option. embeded systems? C is the answer.

fuck man, I cant really decide on a language to learn. Really want to go all in on C#, but I want to stay on linux.

Fuck off, with your non portable vendor lock in slow garbage, microkike. Nobody asked for your sales pitch. This is a thread about C and C++ if you want to shill c shart, come back when your runtime is written in it.

>i thought about C because its supposedly hard as fuck, low-level and every other language bases on it
These aren't good reasons to learn a language. C isn't that difficult and not every language is based on it, the hardest part about the language is pointers which takes an average coder about 6 months to get their head around.

>new programming languages are closer to c++
There are new programming languages that are nothing like C or C++. In fact, there are older languages which are nothing like C or C++.

>which should i choose
Something which caters to what you want to do with programming.

If you want to write stuff for a Raspberry PI, kernel or FGPA code, then C is a good option.

If you want to do stuff with games engines, then C++ is a good option.

If you want to do anything with Windows, then C#. Anything with big data, then JVM. Anything with ML or AI, then Python. Anything web based, then JS, and it goes on.

Programming is a means to an end. Learning C when you are just looking for a simple web scraper is a complete waste of time and effort.

>FPGA code
>C

C's my first ever language, I learned a ton others since then, but C has been the one thing that I encountered time and again in everything that I did. Make it your goal to learn C alongside some scripting language (Python/lua/ruby...). In time do learn some language that isn't part of the algol family, ML (anyone of them), Lisp (again anyone of them) or maybe Idriss.
Whatever you end up choosing, do make projects using it, especially ones that serve your current needs, irc bot downloader, rss reader or any other stuff that might interest you.

>the hardest part about the language is pointers which takes an average coder about 6 months to get their head around.

Oh wow, is that the quality of modern programmers? Modern languages have really spoiled the new generations...

>the hardest part about the language is pointers which takes an average coder about 6 months to get their head around.
At that point not even nepotism can help you. hahahaha

>ML or AI, Python
user please.
Python in AI holds the same kind of position as it does in game engines. It's for scripting and glue code.

Considering that most CS undergrads take at least a full academic year to be able to do anything impressive with C from a cold start, this is a fairly reasonable assumption.

Feel free to post your github accounts containing extremely deep and insightful C code that could go to the main branch of just about any open source project without review. You won't though, because you are moron /dpg/ trolls who struggle with fizzbuzzes but sneer at anyone else.

C++ or C is used for performance once the blueprinting is done in Python.

It's safe to assume that no one here will be working in AI research for a big player, so for most people the extent of how far they'll go is just calling Python libraries written by other people.

> me at highschool
> picked up a book about programming
> understood pointers in depth in less than a week

Are nowadays kids that much retarded?

post yfw you didnt fall for the c/c++ meme

Attached: RonPearlman.jpg (451x604, 65K)

> understood pointers in depth in less than a week
You understood pointers in the context of your textbook. Congratulations, that's what a textbook is meant to teach you.

Pointers don't end at structs, function pointers or pointer arithmetic. There is a lot more to their implementation and usage.

>kids these days
Most old people don't actually like to be reminded about how old they are. Only stupid kids who think that somehow it was better 'back in the day' pull this shit.

Well, I'm not THAT old...

Demanding github repo on Jow Forums is pretty stupid 2bh, I wouldn't associate myself with 4chin online if that was the last thing I do. Get real.
If you can't understand pointers/reference/cons cells whatever your favorite proglang calls them then you are shit at algorithms, and you won't ever amount to much. Prepare yourself for a gray code monkey life style.

You could post a gist or something on pastebin, but you wouldn't do that either. We both know why, but that's ok.

>shit at algorithms
>won't amount to much
To write this with any authority, you need to be someone of value to begin with. As you are too much of a pussy to post your github or even a code sample, I think you should go back to lurking.

>grey code monkey life
Believe it or not, there are even people doing hack coding jobs at Google which are given to people who aren't the best. The facts are that there will always be someone better than you and if you don't like that, then programming probably isn't for you.

pastebin.com/BDk8yAE8
I don't have anything in C that isn't a dozen header files and double the amount C files. However I have a tool-let I scribbled in CL in a procedural style that I later translated to C for performance reasons. The thing relies on a rudimentary binary search tree which requires a fundamental understanding of what a pointer is to implement.
I'd like to see something you wrote too.

i would probably agree with this. c is just so fundamental.
you should definitely learn c at some point however i might have found it took a lot of effort to learn if it was my first language. i learned vb.net first, i feel like thats a pretty well rounded starting point. maybe check out c#

>i'd like to see something i wrote
The burden of proof isn't on me, I'm not calling people stupid for not understanding pointers in 6 months.

>your snippet
It looks like you know what you are talking about, so you are entitled to an opinion. I don't agree with it, but we can agree to disagree.

I have no idea what we are arguing about anymore, but you went to the effort of posting this so have a (you).

>So naturally i thought about C because its supposedly hard as fuck,
Where did you read that? C is one of the simplest languages I learned, which is one of the reasons I still use it.

What will you use the language for?

C is far from "hard as fuck", quite contrary, it's very simple. C++ is much, much more complex.