I'm tryna upgrade from pic related to a legit NAS during Black Friday/Cyber Monday

I'm tryna upgrade from pic related to a legit NAS during Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Where should I keep an eye out for disks? All the usual places?
I'm trying to add at least 8TB.

Also, any tips on building a NAS?

Attached: hddDock.jpg (300x225, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

louwrentius.com/the-hidden-cost-of-using-zfs-for-your-home-nas.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Get a motherboard with like at least 6 sata ports, a mid tier i5 or zen chip ( or go used whatever). Buy up many drives that are all same size and run em in ZFS RAID-Z2 under FreeNAS.

It's almost all media and it's cataloged in Sonarr/Radarr, so if a drive fails I can rebuild it with the click of a button, so I don't need raid.
I've heard ZFS is dope tho

>FreeNAS
That's what I'm looking for, I'll look into it.

what's the logic of "upgrading" a toaster to a NAS? They are two different things user

Are you autistic?

I'm upgrading from a peripheral that holds anime to a larger dedicated box of anime.
The serve identical functions.

>Mid i5 or zen chip
That is a waste

Pre builds are just ez, cheap, and just work. Does $130 on a 2 bay QNAP. It's worth it.

Sorry about $200* usd

I was going to use a phenom II x4 965, 8gb ram and a gtx 770 pc I got for $20 canuck bucks as a nas, but the toaster was just easier. particuilarily because the computer is atx, in a massive case.

too bad am3+ micro atx mobos and cases would cost actual money Im just not willing to spend.

Id rather just buy a 4bay usb type-c external enclosure at this point

you kept anime as qr-code burned toasts? :O

Those multibay enclosures arent always cheap, especially ones with more than 2 drive bays. I've also had some shitty experience with multibay USB solutions. It can go well, but if it goes bad its a real clusterfuck.

Xpenology might be something to look into.

>freeNAS

louwrentius.com/the-hidden-cost-of-using-zfs-for-your-home-nas.html

read this first then realize open media vault and Snapraid is more up your alley

Yea, currently Im using a $30 2 bay usb 3.1 gen 1 toaster.

The media sonic 4 bay gen 2 is 180 canuck bux

>200 USD for a fucking shitty Pentium and 1gb or ram

All prebuilt NAS solutions are garbage. if you ABSOLUTELY want a consumer NAS type case just get a U-NAS or something and put your own hardware in there

>Also, any tips on building a NAS?
Yea, make a comparatively low power machine.

At 1-2 drives you can use some ARM thing like the Odroids [RPi sucks, don't use that], with 4+ drives you likely just get some ASrock onboard Atom thing, and at 10+ drives it's likely some Ryzen or Xeon or whatever.

In either case, I running Linux is the obvious thing to do.

> 4+ drives you likely just get some ASrock onboard Atom thing

i3 would be a better choice

>Add disks
>Make a new zpool
Wow it's fucking impossible.

>add new disks
>forced to buy multiple disks to expand Zpool because you can't expand Vdevs

it's fucking gay and you know it.

meanwhile with snapraid

>can add disks of any size or model to your array
>don't need to mess with Zpool nonsense
>it just werks tm

It's fine. Don't be an autist. If zfs has features you want then working within its limitations is not an issue. If you don't need the features it provides then yeah, why would you make things harder than they need to be, just use mdadm or whatever.
And by the way, raidz expansion is comingsoon(tm) anyway

>coming soon

aka never

It's apparently slated for FreeBSD 12, which is releasing next month.

If money is such a concern a pentium j4105 is still a better option than wasting money on an i5 or zen

surrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre