Should I go through with it? What should I expect?

Should I go through with it? What should I expect?

Attached: sw.jpg (232x227, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.slackware.com/howtos:slackware_admin:grub_on_first_install
cinnamonslackbuilds.github.io/
medium.com/linode-cube/picking-a-linux-distro-part-4-slackware-and-ubuntu-f982c0dd157f
docs.slackware.com/slackware:faq#distro_x_and_y_does_package_management_with_dependency_handling_and
docs.slackware.com/slackware:package_and_dependency_management_shouldn_t_put_you_off_slackware
paypal.me/volkerdi
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For example what is the process of installing packages like?

bump

Slackware is really comfy when you "get it."

Typically it's easier to do a full base install with the DVD as you don't need to mess with dependencies that way. You can think of this as the core OS as it includes a lot of packages but obviously is still missing quite a bit you'd expect from a major Linux distro.

That's where Slackbuilds.org comes in. It's similar to Arch's AUR. By default you need to manually install the dependencies first, but there are community tools you can use to automate it quite easily (sbotools, sbopkg, etc.)

Multilib can be a pain if you've never done it before and/or don't understand how slackpkg works. But the Slackware documents are quite thorough and a savy person can figure it out.

Overall Slackware is, imo, the best Linux distro for greybeards that want a more "pure" Linux as it is very traditional and doesn't try to reinvent the wheel.

t. Slackware contributor

>t. Slackware contributor
willy?
alien?

Expect a wild ride at first with at least one, but realistically multiple, failed or broken installs. Then, expect confusion because you have to manually add yourself as a user, then learn about third party packages, upgrading your kernel manually or using multilib if you want Steam or Skype.

And if you have multiple internal hard drives, you have to get to grips with persistent naming, which is not easy.

When you have finally sorted out all the above you will be pretty much there, but like the earlier poster said, once you "get it" you will be in a very comfy place. The Slackware learning curve is steep, but present considerable benefits if you scale it, such as an extremely stable system, complete control over your OS and a learning experience of Linux that never stops.

This. It took me a while to fully get the hang of Slackware, but it is probably the most comfy distro I have ever used.

>Should I go through with it?
Yes
>What should I expect?
Some kind of outdated packages with security patches, 1200 packages in the base install, and a very fluid BSD like experience.
>Overall Slackware is, imo, the best Linux distro for greybeards that want a more "pure" Linux as it is very traditional and doesn't try to reinvent the wheel.
It's the best Linux in general. I'm 22 and I've been using it for like 5 years. Never looked back to other distros.

Attached: .png (450x600, 5K)

>It's the best Linux in general
What exactly is the best in it? It's poorly supported and when it comes to OS management it seem to always require an additional step.

Attached: 1536606820884.jpg (627x502, 246K)

>poorly supported

The last updates for the -current branch, stable branch, 32 and 64 bit, as well as for Slackbuilds, were yesterday.

>it seem to always require an additional step.

It does indeed, that's the point.

>Should I go through with it?
Yes.

>What should I expect?
An incredibly stable system, as long as your hardware isn't cutting edge and requiring cutting edge kernels/xorg/mesa/etc. And if you do, expect to jump through a million hoops only to end up with a fairly stable system that you had to put in effort for.

>Slackware is really comfy when you "get it."
This. I've used Slackware exclusively for over six years and I've had trouble going back to anything else because Slack just clicks with me and makes everything else pale by comparison. Even when I installed it on a RX 560, which needed a whole bunch of shit to work, once it worked it worked and stayed working without needing to be touched.
Also thank you for your service.

Attached: comfy baka.png (600x407, 10K)

>it worked it worked and stayed working without needing to be touched.

Slackware is the only Linux distro where I've been able to get done all I want to get done.

I also feel like if I didn't bother to update for a while it wouldn't be a bad thing. I feel like I could not update anything for weeks [or even months] and it would be fine.

Very much this. It's a cozy experience, akin to using Windows XP, where you can use the same operating system for years, only bumming security patches.

Attached: ayu-tsukimiya-kanon-56.9.jpg (210x240, 19K)

>I'm 22 and I've been using it for like 5 years.
based kid started using gnu+linux with 8

I started in 08 with Ubuntu. I got a new computer with Vista, and it ran like shit, so I googled "free operating system." Never went back to Windows.

Similar to me. Ubuntu > Debian > Slackware.

I first heard about Slackware in 2003, my brother told me about it. He's a Unix expert and I was fascinated by it ever since he mentioned it.

>Similar to me. Ubuntu > Debian > Slackware.
That was my exact same order. I used Ubuntu from 08-whenever unity came out, the debian from then till around late 2012/early 2013. I run Slackware on everything except my local home server which runs NetBSD.

Have fun setting up a working bootloader.

Nigger, what? LILO automatically generates a working config, and you can opt to not install it and isntall grub with a few keystrokes at the end of the install. Stop spreading misinformation.
Source:
docs.slackware.com/howtos:slackware_admin:grub_on_first_install

Attached: directorschair.png (996x1770, 2.09M)

I love LILO. Esp when it comes to kernel upgrades. So straightforward and logical.

>I love LILO. Esp when it comes to kernel upgrades. So straightforward and logical.
Very much this.

I've installed Slackware three times, and I've never had to configure lilo, the installer has a default preset highlighted for you, all you need to do is click enter.

I'm quite sure people with new hardware should expect broken installs, but please clarify it as such, on older laptops I haven't had a single issue and I'm borderline retarded.

>I'm quite sure people with new hardware should expect broken installs, but please clarify it as such, on older laptops I haven't had a single issue and I'm borderline retarded.

Apologies. My comment was with regard to people who weren't that experienced in *nix, and who could likely expect things to go wrong during the involved learning process. The issue is not to do with Slackware or hardware support. I should have been more specific.

The only time I've ever had to properly configure LILO was whenever I was doing a Windows 7 dualboot. Oddly enough, usually I install windows first then install whatever linux distro I planned to use, but for some reason it would never start LILO whenever I install Windows first so I had to install Slackware first, then Windows, and go back to the installation to reconfigure LILO to detect both.

Anyone here have any experience with sbopkg? I’m going to be doing a fresh slackware install pretty soon so I was thinking of giving sbopkg a go for all my slackbuilds stuff. Does it work well? Would you recommend?

Attached: image.jpg (320x240, 169K)

Yes but get to know the manual way first.

I know the manual way but it’s just a pain imo.

Yeah its great. I use sbopkg for browsing and sbotools for installing.

I've been playing around with a VM install of 14.2 for a few weeks, Planning on doing a real install and using that as my main OS once version 15 hits.
It won't be long now, r-right bros?

14.0 came out in 2012, user. Just get to using the thing as your primary OS.

Attached: apu-1479735188001.png (128x103, 11K)

Just do it. I hesitated before taking the plunge. After I just did it, it was fine.

Does every package install in slackware require manual installation? Or is there a way to automatically install packages and all dependencies (like with pacman, emerge, apt-get and so on)?

Just run -current and don't worry about releases. Current is rolling release and is updated very often. Packages are about as new or newer than Debian testing on most stuff.

An easy was is to think of Slackware as having two distinct types of packages: official and unofficial (or core and extra, etc, etc.)

Official packages are provided by the official Slackware repositories. This is what you install when you run the install DVD and these are what are updated when you run upgrade via the official package manager (slackpkg). These are the critical packages for booting and providing a usable linux workstation.

Unofficial packages are not provided by Slackware repositories. Typically people install these from Slackbuilds.org and many people use community tools (sbopkg, sbotools) automatically install, update, and manage dependencies. Obviously you CAN install manually if you want, but after you're familiar with the process there's typically nothing much to gain from doing that.

Attached: Patrick Volkerding.jpg (262x346, 31K)

it's probably because wangblows modified the mbr or someshit so lilo can't be installed

>Just run -current
Maybe, not really a fan of rolling release though. I'm an ex-archfag though I would imagine current is far more stable at least.
Do the sbo packages work on current?

its not ideal to use sbo stuff on current

>current is far more stable
I've never had an issue.

>Do the sbo packages work on current?
For the vast majority, yes, 14.2 scripts work on -current. Sometimes after updating you may have to rebuild an sbo package or two due to updated libraries, but that's rare from my experience.

I rather use -14.2 and recompile some packages from -current to make it work on -14.2 since sbo packages were designed to work with -14.2 and not -current
I mean this is slackware, why do you care about rolling release, just slack off

i could not get alien bobs live slack to boot on my macbook air.... must of been some uefi fuckery :/

t. subgenius

>macbook
stopped reading right there

hmm, based on this I think I'll just wait until 15 then. I pretty much want a system that I can just set up and have just werk for a long time with minimal maintenance.

Mate, 14.2 is fine as it is. 15 likely wont be out for a few years.

fuck you man its a 2011 and i just put a 512 ssd and new battery in it. was thinking of going slack but because of your attitude looks like it will be just devuan and cinnamon like i have been running the past few years.

Its literally perfection, and i rock a ubuntu mate PPC G4 just for the memes as well

Attached: IMG_6082.jpg (3264x2448, 1.62M)

if I ask for forgiveness would you reconsider using slackware?

i have always wanted to try but never had the time and need just werks.

as i said i wanted to take it for test toast with alien bob live iso but it just would not boot for me ( installing a distro to try it is so 2000s it hurts)

slackware concerns i wanted to test out
- if it just werks on my hardware [no]
- how nice it plays with cinnamon
- how much fuckery to get apple AFC2 and my iphone 6 photos and documents in the file explorer [just werks in nemo]
- other sadomasochistic big boy fuckery

the average slackware user is percieved as cool while even i cringe at gentoo and arch autists. i find this pretty remarkable

t. card carrying reverent

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-11-19 12-12-07.png (1128x610, 1.06M)

ok say I install this. Where can I install a metapackage for pentesting tools? I don't care if they are compiled, I'm just wondering if I can set this for leetness withoug individually getting everything. That's why I like centos and debian they have meta packages for this kind of stuff

>metapackage
no such thing, just find all the l33t packages you need in slackbuilds.org
chances are some fags already packaged it for you

1)
>Metapackages
>Distribution with manual dependency management
2) Are you sure things that you want/need aren't installed already for you when doing a full install?

>How nice it plays with cinnamon
I was going to tell you "it doesn't" since Slackware is notoriously bad with GNOME and GNOME derivatives, but this was the first hit while searching for it, so maybe.
cinnamonslackbuilds.github.io/

>How much fuckery to get apple products working in the file explorer
There is no "the file explorer", and it depends on what you install. Whatever the library is that enables idevice shit is squirreled away in the base install somewhere, so maybe, depending on what you install, how new the library needs to be to work with your fruit phone, et. al.

>Other sadomasochistic big boy fuckery
It's the sort of thing where you have to live with it for a while in order for everything to click. For reference, the first couple years I used slackware, I didn't use a package manager at all, just downloading tarballs and relevant files from the repository and SBo. Once I got comfortable with that, I moved up to using sbotools. Then I started using slackpkg. If everything broke tomorrow, I'd have a pretty good idea of how to use the basic tools to administrate my system, but only because I've worked with 14.1 and 14.2 for a long time. You'll get out of it what you put into it.

Attached: 1532814371938.jpg (850x668, 302K)

install CRUX tbhfam

Crux is a really good option but I think Slackware is easier to get into for new users.

Slackware WOULD BE a top notch distro if it were updated more frequently. 14.2 base system is now too old for a lot of new packages. And I won't use current, I'd lose the main point of Slackware: STABILITY.

crux is too debian

just wait a little longer

>multilib can be pain
But Slacware docs have easy instruction.

Hypothesis: Slackware is a shitshow
Evidence: this thread
>install the whole 20Gb DVD lmao
>"multilib can be a pain if you've never done it before"
>slackpkg, sbopkg, sbotools, pkg...easy package management
>14.0 was released in 2012
>15.0 is going be released in a couple of years
>GNOME doesn't work properly
I used to use Slackware back in 2004 until 2008 and it was a great way to learn about Linux. But using Slackware in 2018 is an unnecessary pain. You know Slackware is missing features of a modern Linux OS only because it is understaffed and underfunded, right? They try to pass the lack of important parts as a feature (BSD-like!) which is a bit sad. =/ As soon as Patrick sorts out the donation mechanism I'm gonna donate because I used Slackware for years and it pains me to hear he is struggling financially. I would not use Slackware today because Gentoo and Void exist.

>>"multilib can be a pain if you've never done it before"
Slackware docs have instructions for this.
.0 was released in 2012
>what is the -current and 14.2
>>GNOME doesn't work properly
You have KDE and XFCE, and IceWM, and much more, also you can download pre-built tarballs with GNOME.
>>slackpkg, sbopkg, sbotools, pkg...easy package management
>what is tarballs and built from scratch

>>GNOME doesn't work properly
>You have KDE and XFCE, and IceWM, and much more, also you can download pre-built tarballs with GNOME.
I don't use GNOME, but someone might and to say "oh you don't need x, you have y!" is patronising.
An unnecessary pain.

>It's the best Linux in general. I'm 22 and I've been using it for like 5 years. Never looked back to other distros.
Try Gentoo/GuixSD you retard.

>I don't use GNOME, but someone might and to say "oh you don't need x, you have y!" is patronising.
But you have tarballs
>An unnecessary pain.
I can say it about if all Linux

>I can say it about if all Linux
No, you really can't...
Void: xbps-install package
Debian(+derivatives): apt install package
Red Hat(+derivatives): yum install package
Arch(+derivatives): pacman -S package

Slackware(+derivatives): #stop being a faggot and just use windowmaker

windowmaker isn't a package manager, user.

They were whining about GNOME not being packaged. Most complaints about missing packages when there are viable alternatives are beyond pedantic.

You do realise that 15 will have teething issues. 14.2 is seasoned now, it's the best time to jump in. And it just werks, you don't have to do anything after you've configured your system the way you want.

>15 likely wont be out for a few years

I'm not so sure. I'd be very surprised if we didn't see it within the next six months.

It doesn’t come with a sandbox program like firejail so slackware is insecure out of the box.

I don't know if you're new here or what, but following threads on Jow Forums is a bit different than reddit. And a bit more difficult because the view isn't threaded and there are no username. Here is the conversation:
(me)
>slackpkg, sbopkg, sbotools, pkg...easy package management
(user)
(me)
An unnecessary pain.
(user)
>An unnecessary pain.
I can say it about if all Linux
(me)
>I can say it about if all Linux
No, you really can't...
Void: xbps-install package
Debian(+derivatives): apt install package
Red Hat(+derivatives): yum install package
Arch(+derivatives): pacman -S package
(you)
Slackware(+derivatives): #stop being a faggot and just use windowmaker

I hope that makes it easier for you to understand where you erred.

just enable javascript on a site-by-site basis and setup iptables to restrict traffic. opening your computer's legs to the internet and hoping a sandbox will save you is like sleeping with 1000 strangers in 1000 separate rooms and thinking you're safe.

You’re telling me all browser vulnerabilities stop working with javascript disabled?

You left out
>I don't use GNOME, but someone might and to say "oh you don't need x, you have y!" is patronising.
It's not patronizing to tell somebody to stop being pedantic. Xfce works perfectly well, WindowMaker works even better. I don't prefer either, I'm just not a baby who cries about trivial differences in nearly identical software.

i never said all. i'm telling you being discreet will do more to protect you than sandboxing a browser that literally accepts any and every connection that shoves its way into your network.

No, actually it was you who left it out. Perhaps you entered the conversation at the wrong point. Should have quoted the part to which you were replying.

But as I said in that post, I don't use GNOME, I just don't think that operating system maintainers should have the attitude "I won't include it because you don't need it". If you're developing an OS for people to use, then you should support whatever people want to use. For example, people want their package manager to have automatic dependency resolution; Slackware doesn't have this, therefore its user base is small. Small userbase = small community = less donations = less time spent developing = inferior product.

Some Linux distros pride themselves on the small an exclusive-feeling userbases (for example, you have to go through the hazing ritual of installing and configuring Slackware to join) and on generally being harder to use and therefore somehow 'elite'. But the real strength of a Linux OS is the community, because the community will provide funding, write wikis and help documents, help newbies, maintain packages, contribute fixes and report bugs.

Slackware failed by not making itself more popular and appealing to a wider audience. If you want an example of old-fashioned thinking, look at Slackware's propaganda material. Those images are made for 90s web ring websites and Slackware seems to be happy with still being in the 90s.

>Slackware failed by not making itself more popular and appealing to a wider audience.

"Slackware doesn’t aim to satisfy everyone. The Slackware team knows they’re not creating something for the masses, and that is their distinct choice."

medium.com/linode-cube/picking-a-linux-distro-part-4-slackware-and-ubuntu-f982c0dd157f

>But the real strength of a Linux OS is the community,

I agree entirely. I have used Ubuntu, Mint and Debian, and one of the reasons I left was because the communities were splintered, inexperienced and imparted bad advice.

I have, in contrast, found the Slackware community to make up in expertise what they lack in numbers. They are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

>Yes, many distributions have package managers that do dependency handling and do them well. Indeed, there are many choices in that regard. The Linux community still needs a stable, tried and tested distribution that doesn't.
>docs.slackware.com/slackware:faq#distro_x_and_y_does_package_management_with_dependency_handling_and
You can install packages from source for any Linux distro. Having a package manager with automatic dependency resolution doesn't prevent you from installing whatever you want from source.

They call it choice, I call it necessity. Patrick doesn't have the time or the will to develop a package manager. Now it's a bit too late to backtrack on 'philosophy' and they're stuck.

And Slackware users obviously do want modern package management because slackbuilds and sbotools exist. Also, Slackware prides itself on having a package manager, they're just against dependency resolution for some weird reason.

>And Slackware users obviously do want modern package management because slackbuilds and sbotools exist

Indeed, you must remember that not all Slack users use sbotools. I, for one, don't use it. I tend to install everything manually though I do, on occasion, use sbopkg.

>they're just against dependency resolution for some weird reason

ruario wrote a nice article on this point:

docs.slackware.com/slackware:package_and_dependency_management_shouldn_t_put_you_off_slackware

Dude with windowmaker not me.(guy with too much typos)

About package managers, i use only default pkgtools and tarballs, this handle all stuff i need

Have you tired installing patches? 14.2 has newer packages than Debian for the most part.
>>install the whole 20Gb DVD lmao
It's 10, but you don't have to install it all if oyu don't want to. To be fair though, unusued packages on your disk aren't going to rape your mother, and if you're that autistic you shouldn't be using Slackware.
>>"multilib can be a pain if you've never done it before"
Copypasting 4 lines on a page is not hard.
Yes it's very easy. The easiest of any distro. Don't tell me you'd rather use some piece of shit like aprt that can break your whole system for no reason.
.0 was released in 2012
14.2 was released in 2016
.0 is going be released in a couple of years
The original projection was Q4 2018, but Pat had financial troubles. There's no reason to believe it will take multiple years for the next release if you looked at the changelog.
>GNOME doesn't work properly
It does if you install SystemD, but you would have to be just as retarded to want to use that shit as you would have to be to want to use GNOME.
>You know Slackware is missing features of a modern Linux OS
Such as? I can do everything I want on it. Linux is a kernel.
>They try to pass the lack of important parts as a feature (BSD-like!) which is a bit sad.
Slackware is the only Linux I've had an experience as pleasant as a BSD.
>As soon as Patrick sorts out the donation mechanism I'm gonna donate because I used Slackware for years and it pains me to hear he is struggling financially.
He put this up recently paypal.me/volkerdi
>I would not use Slackware today because Gentoo and Void exist.
At least you're not an Archfag
Jokes on you, I'm already using Window Maker.

Attached: 2018-11-19-093501_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 3.33M)

So once installed is a pain in the ass to resolve dependencies for new packages on Slackware. So you just install the 10GB iso and if something isn't there you just search and compile right? Sounds comfy. But then how do you update?

>So once installed is a pain in the ass to resolve dependencies for new packages on Slackware.
Not really.
>So you just install the 10GB iso and if something isn't there you just search and compile right?
Basically. There are also lots of slackbuilds and binary packages out there.
>But then how do you update?
slackpkg handles patches and upgrades of packages that ship with the system, and can also be configured to install things from other package maintainers like AlienBob.

Attached: c425762d0faf46bfd3dd485e2a7654b9797a4275c95dfb51d64f1f70f8b3fda6.png (640x480, 246K)

You're responsible for updating non-system software, including all the dependencies and libraries. Good luck matching versions!

slackpkg takes care of system software, with the only caveat being multilib, and sbotools handles non-system software without issue. Why would you need to match versions of anything? The people making these slackbuilds are the people using the same versions of libraries that you are. You have to deliberately compile newer libraries than are available on your system to end up in such a situation.

Attached: 1508331621444.png (465x406, 18K)

On my new dell laptop14.2 had keyboard issues. I built a new boot DVD from -current which worked fine. I think pat needs to increase the release cycle, and do more to make $ from each release.

>install the whole 20Gb DVD lmao

As an earlier poster said, it's 10GB, as well as that it's hardly an issue to worry over 10GB with the size of modern hard drives.

Actually my main SSD is only 80GB, but I still manage fine.

Attached: wallhaven-231469.png (1920x1080, 101K)

How does sbotools handle it? And why have two applications that seem to do the same thing? So much for simplicity.

>with the only caveat being multilib
You can use slackpkg for multilib with slackpkg+ extensions.
They're not the same thing. slackpkg works as a direct binary package updater for patches while sbotools work like a ports system, using scripts automate other scripts to build tarballs. Every BSD works like this, with a distinction between the two.

Attached: Hahaha_math (1).jpg (619x464, 35K)

It's not like you can't trim it down if you have the minimal autism. That's what I do on my systems, although "minimal" is relative when it comes to slackware. I end up installing all of /l/ and /d/ since I don't want to deal with horseshit when trying to install shit from SBo, but there's plenty to trim down in the system in /ap/, /xap/, /n/, /x/, and even /a/ if you're feeling adventurous.

sbotools is a bunch of really big perl scripts that manage shit like downloading, compilation, etc. I don't know where, but it keeps an internal database of all the shit you've downloaded via SBo. You can slackpkg upgrade , but there's also a way to upgrade everything. I just don't bother, the less I have to play with my installed shit, the better.
>Why have two applications that seem to do the same thing?
the *pkg (installpkg, removepkg, upgradepkg) tools just install things from tarballs onto the system. Slackpkg is a wrapper around those that interfaces with the slackware base package repository (see: packages.slackware.com). sbotools is a perl wrapper around the former that interfaces with slackbuilds.org, but since it doesn't download pre-compiled packages, also deals with grabbing the files necessary for compilation and doing that. sbotools also handles dependency management, but only things in SBo that rely on other things in SBo.

If this is all too much for you, use Salix, it has a bunch of shit that would be in SBo in its official repo instead, and uses slapt-get, which handles dependency management for you. Salix is not an ideal solution, but if you need it, it's there.

You can, but I don't.

Attached: 1403791377368.jpg (338x314, 27K)

>that smug bobby with potato chips all over his chest
This is what it's like to use Slackware. Thank you user.
>You can slackpkg upgrade , but there's also a way to upgrade everything. I just don't bother, the less I have to play with my installed shit, the better.
I run slackpkg upgrade-all every few months. Usually it's just a few patches, but it's usually security stuff.
>If this is all too much for you, use Salix, it has a bunch of shit that would be in SBo in its official repo instead, and uses slapt-get, which handles dependency management for you.
You can do this on Slackware proper as well.

Sorry, I mean sboupgrade . There's a way to do that across all packages. I know slackpkg has upgrade-all, but I don't remember off-hand what the sbo equivalent is.
>You can do this on Slackware proper as well.
Of course, you and I can, but the uninitiated might not be able to keep it all straight. It's a lot more complicated on paper than it is in reality. Salix just has really robust repos with everything pre-compiled for you.

>I run slackpkg upgrade-all every few months

I run it most days. Only because I like watching it do its thing.