Linux casual here. What is really so bad about Gnome?

Linux casual here. What is really so bad about Gnome?
I use it for 2 years on Antergos (inb4 "install arch the real way, fag") and am perfectly happy with it. The whole having to use a browser to install extensions thing is kind of a hassle, but otherwise it's been quite reliable.

Should I just try KDE?

Attached: gnome.png (204x247, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/1132
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

install arch the real way, fag

A
FUCKING
FOOT

I ilke Unity the most. Takes up little screen space, and the HUD is great

Attached: bait.png (500x522, 26K)

So I used stock Ubuntu with Gnome for about two months now.
A week ago I swapped to Manjaro with KDE. One crucial function that KDE has over Gnome is that I can drag a file, hover it over e.g. an open application, and then said application gets maximised onto the screen so I can drop it in (e.g. into an upload window in the browser or similar). Hard to describe but I hope you get what I mean.

Coming from Windows not too long ago I really missed that feature in Gnome and it's enough of a reason for me to never go back.

Attached: HeroJojoshII.jpg (101x93, 10K)

Shallow alert . . .

It's not that it's necessarily bad just performs worse than everything else while not having any real advantages

"The whole having to use a browser to install extensions thing"

Explain, please.

You have to install a web browser extension or add-on in Firefox or Chrome to be able to install DE "extensions" from the Gnome Extensions website.

Not in Ubuntu. Those extensions are in software center.

It would make more sense if the tweaks app had built in extension repository function. Tbh i think Tweaks should be baked into Gnome's default settings too.

They regularly remove perfectly good features and foist it onto unsupported addons
they refuse to add community suggestions and wants
The developers are total applel fags who don't even actually use it
They expect everyone to bend to their whim when they make a change and are smug as fuck about it
See: I dont know what an XFCE is or does

/thread

fucking this

Attached: gnomedevs.png (1119x640, 134K)

What do you mean by that?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNOME, is in fact, GNU/GNOME, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus GNOME. GNOME is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Ubuntu", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a GNOME, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. GNOME is the desktop environment: the programs in the system that allow the user to interact with it. The desktop environment is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. GNOME is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with GNOME added, or GNU/GNOME. All the so-called "GNOME" distributions are really distributions of GNU/GNOME.

Attached: 1537987127734.gif (400x386, 1.48M)

I would just go ahead and try KDE user. Neon is one of the more interesting distros out right now imo. Very stable, cohesive and pleasantly custiomizable. Only real drawback is it's based on 18.04 LTS so may not satisfy that itch for a more esoteric distros that *nix users often get.

Is Devuan with KDE good as babby's first linux?

You should try multiple DEs, yes, and then use the one you like the most
Fuck anything else

no. debian/devuan kde is buggy as hell because it's using an ancient version of plasma 5 and plasma was very buggy back then. they should have kept kde4 and jump to a newer version of plasma 5 for debian 10

Well that's useful to know. Tyvm

>gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/1132
gosh these ignorant fuckers

I just do internal helpdesk. Its nice because I don't have deadlines, I don't have end customers, my work is done the second I clock out.
I'm qualified to do WAY more then what I am, and could make a good amount more money, but the stress that comes with it just isn't worth it. A good deal of IT work, they'll burn your candle by both ends of the wick till and cast you out when you're burnt out. My lower stress job lets me fucking enjoy life outside of work and (mostly, unless there is a major outage) take it easy at work as well.

A
FUCKING
FOOT
PRINT

nothing really

I've used all of the DE's, and have come to the conclusion that they are all a matter of compromise. The only real contenders in the usability game are Gnome and KDE, and neither of them are nearly as good (or as bad) as people here will have you think. Overall, they're simply mediocre, and they both approach things from different angles. There's really nothing outstanding about either of them.

I'm a KDE fan, but I'll admit that Budgie is pretty good, also I enjoy tinkering with XFCE as well

Just tested Gnome on my laptop… Good is this shit slow compared to Unity.
They massively degraded the performance by writing this shit it JavaScript.

Meh, I used Budgie on Solus for awhile. It really didn't seem like anything more than a rehash of Gnome, but with smaller icons and a couple of things rearranged. I really didn't find it offered anything new in terms of functionality. Same deal with Cinnamon.

Never had an issue with slowness on laptops using Gnome. I disable animations though.

ehh, different strokes I guess

exactly, why would anyone care about what desktop someone uses?

KDE has a "show desktop" and a "minimise all windows" configurable into the taskbar without and wonky Gnome tweaks extensions

This.