Be me

>be me
>be 23 and 10 months
>NEET
>want to teach myself programming

Convince me why it will work/result in utter failure. I can't stand rotting away in front of a screen anymore. What language should I start with? In how many months can I expect to be able to create a shitty match 3 mobile game and milking all the whales in the process with $99 micro-transactions?

Attached: doomer.png (500x500, 83K)

youre too late m8

Why the fuck everyone thinks they can get into programming easily at late age?

It has nothing to do with age.

i'm 2 years 2 months older than you AMA

Started when I was 26why do people think programming requires early developed talent? Hell, companies only want readable code that's easy.

The only way you'll make money with mobile apps is if you provide a service people legitimately need or your game has cute girls.

Nobody wants to be a generic Wojak.

do webdev

make a virtual dating experience app. the players will date bots

>everyone is a weeb
I bet you never leave your house

If we need to convince you that means you shouldnt even start, because its not that easy

Look up what is searched for the most in your Area. But by just guessing into the blue, I would recomend Java or frontend stuff (HTML, CSS, JavaScript). Those are most sought after most of the time.

24 isn't that old.

Just do C. It's ubiquitous and with a lot of history behind it. You are seriously never too old to learn something. I've seen 30+ people going to my university to earn their degrees. At least do something interesting to make being a NEET more enjoyable - you've got a golden ticket to freedom.

I started at 25 after years of being a NEET, now I'm 32 and have had a job for six years. All it took to start was a free online course of a local university with certification and advertising myself online.

Come on user let's not delude ourselves here, 20+ is old as fuck. It's just that most adults nowadays still want to (and do) behave like children.

>and advertising myself online.
where?

never gonna make it

There's a local site where local companies look for temporary workers, it's great to make a little money and get shit into your portfolio.
After a year of doing those and getting some more certificates from free uni courses, I got my current job and haven't even bothered looking for anything else.

I already earn more than average for my country, most of my old classmates are doing way worse jobs earing half of that. I'm happy, it's a job that pays for everything I need.

That's the biggest trap of being 24. So many doors are closed to you already but somehow you still think that you have all the time in the world to play with as if nothing had changed since you were in your teens.

One of the worst periods in life for sure.

Technically it could work. But at some point you have to realise that the problem with achieving your dreams is that the person having them is you.

How is age at all relevant here?

Because your teens (13-18) is the age where you give enough fucks to put in some effort into learning and mastering something. 18-21 you're probably gonna spend doing dumb shit and 21-25 you'll spend fixing your life and getting good at something. 25-30 is the last call for "growing up". If you're 30 and you haven't developed any kind of profitable skill then you might as well join mcdonalds and hunker down on living on the bare minimum at your parents house until you die. All ages assuming neetdom, those who avoid it tend to climb the ladder to adult hood more rapidly.

All this means jack if you have kids before 30 you fucking retard.

Attached: very_fast_dog_biting_very_fast_mexican.png (640x370, 254K)

>he's 24
>programmers get put out to pasture at 30
>he's not even a junior programmer yet
>and he doesn't have a degree
>there are people 5 years younger than you who are more capable
you have literally nothing to offer anyone

Attached: lmaoo.png (883x913, 798K)

Go /out.

I don't give a single fuck about what some 19 year old dipshit thinks one should have done in their life by some arbitrary age, I'm asking how age is relevant to working with computers - in any capacity. If you can do the fucking job, why would this be a setback

Because after 30 your ability (will specifically) diminishes greatly and it's very hard to develop professional skills at that point. Most 30+ year olds also have kids making this conundrum even worse.

Maybe there's nothing objectively wrong, but it's all perception.
Past a certain age, everyone assumes your skills are obsolete, or you're some dumb tradie who jumped fields and learned computers decades ago, coasting on people's ignorance which won't fly anymore, this is why most older IBM employees didn't even have degrees when they entered the company in the 70's and 80s.

This is especially bad in web dev, where your entire development stack becomes obsolete within a few years through no fault of your own.
Don't think you can just jump into systems or embedded either, there's ageism there too, only it's old people keeping the kids out.

This discussion aside, you now realize that of all the real and made up *isms ageism is the lawful good one because sooner or later makes literally everyone taste their own medicine.

jokes on you, I'm dumb as fuck already, I'm used to work with a handicap

You're right, it's better to give up. Too much competition, also who wants a better life after all, lets watch anime all day and masturbate.
OH WAIT BUT YOU ALREADY DO THAT.

Your average zoomer has an attention span of a bug due to growing up on smartphones and social media.

This gifted youth meme needs to die.

31 y.o. phd here. don't listen to the kids and brainlets. go for it. i suggest you enroll in a community college class and get certs like the other guy in the thread.

>I can't stand rotting away in front of a screen anymore
>wants to become a programmer
lmao

he doesn't realize that he's looking at the good screen right now

Should I get my DSc.?
I'm finishing a master's in Data Science.

Fate Grand Order made like 2 billion USD last year.

and not everyone is a fan of anime
hell even normies who call themselves as anime fans only ever watched narutard
keep jerking off to your moeshit, fucking idiot

Just start using OpenBSD and you'll become good at programming because you won't have a choice.

>why do people think programming requires early developed talent?
because of the hollywood teenage hacker trope. It's not hard to learn programming in your 20's if you have experience with logic and technical configuration. Basically if you aren't a total tech illiterate NPC it'll come easily to you. I wrote hello_world.c at 22 and was making iOS apps at 23.

americans blow more on lottery tickets annually than every other form of entertainment combined
the mechanism of addiction like in gacha garbage is almost the same, except you're promised girly anime boys instead of money

Attached: astolfo 991.png (1169x826, 1.06M)

I'm 22 and halfway through school. Good luck user.

whatever fag
hi zoomer, have you flossed today

Where can I buy girly anime boys

Just learn webdev and create botnets for companies websites or get some certification to be helpdesk for some glow in the dark loonix distro. Everything else will probably be some meme job requiring CS degree at XYZ "big tech" company from some progressive city that has to filter 10,000 applications and has a COC a few thousand pages long saying they own you and if you fart in the office you get sued and ranjeet from mumbai takes your job.

Here is an honest opinion:
-Learn you a trade, where you meet people.
-Commerce is where the real dough at, people skills are a thing and they are the most helpful tool-set if you decide to get rich.
-If you learn programming try not to get a job, but rather create a business, don't work for people, employ them instead.
-Get out of your parents' house, the sooner the better. 23 yo is an alarming age to be living at your parents', you should be conscious of that more than anything.

>-If you learn programming try not to get a job, but rather create a business, don't work for people, employ them instead.

For everyone already entering their mid 20s or older - THIS is the way to go.

>23 yo is an alarming age to be living at your parents
Considering how common it seems to be, it can't be that bad. Agreed the that the sooner one gets their shit together the better though.

There's nothing wrong with living with your parents so long as you're not a financial burden on them, meaning you pay for your own expenses.
Making young people spend most of their income on rent is how they stay poor.

learn js.
You can achieve production-ready level of software in a month

It is the need that pushes people forward. Going out of your comfort zone is a requirement for growing up. I am basing my advice on my own experience, at 18 I was out of my familial residence, at 21 I was no one's responsibility. But that was because of the need and the struggles I had to experience. All in all I am a better man thanks to my parents not sheltering me just because I was temporarily going through hard times.

yes, in switzerland if you can, europe if not. funded only

>Convince me why it will work/result in utter failure
Because you've given up before even trying it

If you’re only programming to make a profit you’ll quit in a week or so. Like math, you need to practice your skills a lot, not just go through some tutorial and make a calculator. Good luck.

Making a calculator is a damn good exercise when first learning making programming languages, don't underestimate calculators.

36 manchild here

Learning to code is the last cope I left. If it fails, the rest of my life will be unemployment or menial slave work.

I have no degree or experience, my attention span is appalling, my IQ high-average at best and I'm an emotionally reactive faggot who gets frustrated if I can't figure something out within 10 minutes.

But it's all I've got. I tell myself that in 12 months I could be a Junior Web Dev. Ain't gonna happen...but let me dream

I'm 24 with a well-paying job and I live with my parents to save money!

I didn’t mean that going through tutorials is a bad thing, anyone first learning should since they can be helpful. I meant that in addition to tutorials, OP needs to be practicing as well.

Your depression and heavy psyche damage from years of psycohological neglect are the ONLY thing keeping you from shining, not your age
Kids ITT can fuck the fuck off, they do not know what suffering is

Should've mentioned I also live with my mother.

ITS OVER

So what?

>I'm an emotionally reactive faggot who gets frustrated if I can't figure something out within 10 minutes.

don't know if it helps, but yesterday I sat on a problem for 4 hours without stressing in the slightest, I knew I would stumble upon the solution sooner or later like I always do

And that is why you will go far, my friend.

same. I find that not working on the problem and letting it mull in my mind brings me to the solution (or a better one) more often than not.

doomers changed a lot

Attached: Columbine_School_shooting_massacre_Colorado_Eric_harris_dylan_klebold.jpg (722x511, 26K)

jesus christ I didn't need to hear this today

Your choice of example was kinda displaced is all. And I agree with you 100%, math and programming are both skills nurtured by non stop practice, there is no other way around it.

I had junior developer work but I quit my job when my dad was dying so I could be with him toward the end, and now it's been 8 months without work. I don't even care about keeping his house after probate at this point, what's the best way I can get back to making money as a programmer again?

It's incredible how this image describes almost exactly me.
I came here to be a hackerman not feel.
Fuck...

Attached: d4e7a78c5926877fc75b8fd61713ed23.jpg (1073x1046, 173K)

read these posts if you desire further feels
sunday of sadness

Why... Why life is so painful?

Attached: 1529112859530.jpg (164x173, 15K)

if it's any consolation, you're not alone.

Thanks, user.
Be strong.

all the strength in the world would be insufficient to hold these feels, m8

>tfw started programming at 24
>tfw I'll never be a young millionaire like the guys in silicon valley

Attached: 1530126385432.jpg (793x786, 54K)

So realistically, how long would it take someone with no programming experience to get competent in the average popular language? A year? Longer?

I just wanted to be strong enough to commit sudoku.
Why is it so hard... and scary?

Attached: 1506491202002.png (805x828, 400K)

How the fuck do you even get started? Watch tutorials on youtube?

This. Getting a job is really easy if you make connections, even if you under qualified (not saying you are, just in general).