/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

think pad edition

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1279x815, 142K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117
notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T480s-i7-8550U-MX150-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.290784.0.html
forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/G50-80-hinge-problem/td-p/3267658
ifixit.com/Answers/View/442460/Laptop body damaged, right screen hinge loose, might fall apart
youtube.com/watch?v=f4FrkXEVxLk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How much will I regret buying NEW and going with a current year T, or X series?

Attached: nom.jpg (555x456, 39K)

>Lenovo Legion Y530

yay or nay?

Attached: 545.jpg (800x419, 69K)

>thin
>gaming
pick one

The dual heatpipe is really better for t420? Or its just a meme?

it can't be THAT thick

T-series, you won't. X-series, you will a lot.

T480 for 700$, should I go for it?

Intel Core i5-7300U
14"FHD
256GB Opal 2 PCIe SSD
8GB LPDDR4

>fix stuff in my ThinkPad
>break things in the process

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 4K)

x280 is trash
x270 is still overpriced might be able to find a good deal on black friday

Who here /penryn/

Attached: c2d.png (387x18, 7K)

where can i find a basic overview of the different thinkpad series and what are their objectives, strengths, best new/old models, and things like that?

Just go slow mang. When in doubt, take your time.

thinkwiki

It usually happens during the reassembly when I'm excited to find out if it still works. I need to steady my pace

what do you niggers think about the HP Zbook studio x360 G5? Looks like the ultimate laptop to me
> sleek
> convertible
> has a real CPU, as opposed to the gay undervolted shit 99% of modern """laptops""" have
> WWAN
> thunderbolt
> wacom pencil
> shit's not all soldered up like the modern **80(s) series
> built like a tank

common guys, I'd really appreciate some input

I used to have a T60.

Which current tp comes closest to the T60s former glory?

Probably the P series.

the laptops are no more socketed, so get yourself a better CPU. Otherwise it should be OK

t480s or x280?

see

you mean I could put in a 8th gen CPU instead of the 7300U?
Nice.

Could i also put in a 2GB GPU?

>HP Zbook studio x360 G5
looks gay af

T70

I am buying an x220 on ebay. Would it be cheaper to buy it on Black Friday? (i.e reduced shipping prices) Or does the price stay the same? I'm new to ebay so IDK, help much appreciated!

>forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117
Did anyone here buy that X210 upgraded mobo and/or upgraded WUXGA screen?
If so what were your experiences?

>Did anyone here buy that X210 upgraded mobo
Yes.
> and/or upgraded WUXGA screen?
No. Putting a 3k screen in mine.
>If so what were your experiences?
What do you want to know?
My X62 and T70 builds honestly gave me less trouble than a new Lenovo made machine usually does.

Where did you manage to get hold of these parts? Especially the 3k screen, that sounds sexy as fuck.
Did you have to navigate the chink site throughout moonrunes or is there and english speaking place to buy them?
Have you tried running an eGPU through the m.2 slot?
Where does the motherboard chipset come from?
How is battery life after upgrade? Does it triple as the TDP of 8250u/8550u vs original x201 parts suggest?
Did you also upgrade the speakers? Is their quality okay in todays standards?

Thank you in advance for answering those.

>Where did you manage to get hold of these parts? Especially the 3k screen, that sounds sexy as fuck.
Bought the X210 board direct from 51nb, got the 3k screen on TaoBao.
>Did you have to navigate the chink site throughout moonrunes or is there and english speaking place to buy them?
Chrome has translation built in. I use that.
>Where does the motherboard chipset come from?
...what do you mean? I assume it uses a standard Union Point chipset.
>How is battery life after upgrade? Does it triple as the TDP of 8250u/8550u vs original x201 parts suggest?
Haven't tried a rundown yet, but it's probably not as good as a typical Kaby Lake laptop; the 51nb mobos usually run a little harder. It's _noticeably_ cooler than Penryn or Nehalem tho.
>Did you also upgrade the speakers? Is their quality okay in todays standards?
No, but I'm considering it. X201 speakers are only 'OK'.

Is a x220 with a 6cell for 130€ worth it? New to thinkpads so idk how they are priced

Well, I bought the T450s after all, to replace the T420s on the left
Installing linux as we speak.

Something I only noticed when I got home is the keyboard has rubbed on the display somewhat. Thankfully the marks aren't visible when the screen is on, which is probably why I didn't notice them when I was looking it over.

Attached: IMG_20181118_223201.jpg (3264x1836, 460K)

Macfag here

Need a laptop to run Adobe CC with ease and decent web dev environment. My iMac has been very good to me but I'm not a Steve Jobs anus rimmer so idgaf about buying a Macbook if I can get a decent laptop for half the price.

What Thinkpad would you recommend for my needs?

inb4 die macfag loser faggot etc

He literally said the exact opposite of that...

Attached: sam is of the confuse.gif (202x360, 1.84M)

i'm not familiar with the terms... I though if it's socketed then it can be exchanged and if it's soldered then it can't.

That is correct, he said that the laptops are no longer socketed.

Would a maxed-out T480s be a solid laptop for college (CS major)? Or should I go with an XPS 15 or something else?

It would be more than sufficient.

i'll read more slowly next time

we are legion

Legion fucks.

Attached: ncr_flag_by_party9999999-d31te57.png (900x600, 140K)

What's a decent new-ish age Thinkpad? I still want the same blocky sturdy design but some better processing power/video would be great. Anything in the $250-$450 range? Currently, own a T61 and an X220.

Perhaps look at the W-series

How are E and L series? I've heard that E are just generic consumer laptops.

Whats the cheapest Thinkpad I can get that's thinner/lighter than an x220?

Any newer X series.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1195x1599, 316K)

Thank you.
I can only think of one last question:
Do docking stations for X201 still work?

guys what thinkpad does that look like to you? i can't figure out for the life of me

t420 because of the keyboard

cheers

>Do docking stations for X201 still work?
No. No docking connector.

keep in mind I don't know anything about thinkpads or any laptop component

Look into the W530 and W541, or the P-series if you want newer. T440p might also be of interest.

Hard to say for sure, but it's definitely something between the T400 and the T420.

Can someone help me to choose the CPU of my future T480s?

I will use it to travel and be entertained after work in hotels, reading, youtube videos, programming, some VM etc.

Attached: cpu_t480s.png (939x228, 38K)

Always get the fastest CPU available for laptops with soldered CPUs.

Do you think that the 215€ (aprox) more of the i7-8650U it's worth it?

No, but it's not like you're going to be able to swap it out later unless you have a hot air station and know what the fuck you're doing.

just take the 8250u, it's actually as fast as the other CPUs since the cooling system is too weak for them.

Is the design really that shit?

yes.

notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T480s-i7-8550U-MX150-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.290784.0.html

Nay. I've heard that Lenovo's already-spotty QC drops off precipitously outside of the Thinkpad line.

Well, that's a shame.

>No, but it's not like you're going to be able to swap it out later unless you have a hot air station and know what the fuck you're doing.
You need more than that. :-P

That's the dumbest argument i've read, we all already know that you can't swap the soldered CPU.

0.2Ghz on base clock between the 8250U and the 8550U and 0.4Ghz in turbo clock
Sufficient to have a noticeable difference in performance / temperature?

Attached: 3vs.png (872x1028, 97K)

Indeed, I don't know what the fuck I'm doing.

I wasn't aware we were having a fucking argument, it's common sense.

IRL it's not as dramatic as it sounds. Got the T480s with the i7 8550u and the Nvidia and it's still a very nice notebook, best I ever had (coming from a 2013 13" Macbook pro).

have amd workstations been announced yet

The 8250U should run a little cooler and not throttle when pushed hard. The 8550U will run a little hotter and will also be throttled due to the higher temperatures.
So performance wise the CPU are the same in reality, but the 8250U should give you a cooler system and also probably a slighly better battery life.

I'm still using an X220, but I've got an X240 in the mail, and I've been considering a more serious upgrade in the near future.

Different user here. Did you get an old T61 and X61, buy the mobo off 51nb and a 3k screen with correct dimensions etc of taobao, and install it then upgraded cpu, storage etc? Cos that sounds like a dream build for me, with a bonus of keeping those dank looks

Could be either T410 or T420, though I'm leaning towards T410 because it kind of looks like the screen latch holes are more centered. Could also be the s variant, but I really can't tell.

Unless you upgrade to the dGPU heatsink.

>Different user here. Did you get an old T61 and X61, buy the mobo off 51nb and a 3k screen with correct dimensions etc of taobao,
Yes. Well, the 3k screen was 'the biggest that could physically fit in the lid', I had to mill out the bezel. The X201 had a huge bezel, and with a 3:2 screen it's more like the X61 now.
> and install it then upgraded cpu, storage etc?
The 51nb boards are soldered CPUs, you have to buy them with the CPU you want.

How much did it all end up costing you in the end? The new X210 mobos are going by themselves for around 3500 chinese yen

>implying you can put a price on perfection

The largest/highest res screen you can put in an X61 is the 12.1" 4:3 HV121P01-100 (1400x1050 IPS). The real limit here is LVDS.
The largest/highest res in the T70 is the 15.0" 4:3 IAQX10 (2k IPS). Again, the limit is LVDS.
The X210 (with a milled out bezel) can take the 13.0" 3:2 LP130QP1 that's 3k IPS. There's a 4k screen that can supposedly fit, but it's physically smaller and has lower brightness and contrast. The 3k screen is also perfect because you get good UI element sizes with a 1:2 scaling.

Attached: LQ.jpg (1600x1030, 716K)

>How much did it all end up costing you in the end? The new X210 mobos are going by themselves for around 3500 chinese yen
I dunno. I'm working on a 3k kit for the X210 and I've honestly lost track. I did get a second-batch that was cheaper. The LCD is not actually expensive, only ~ $65 on TaoBao right now.

You can fully upgrade a T420 for less than that.

Holy fuck, the Ideapad line is soooooo bad.
I've run across MULTIPLE g50-80s where the socket for the screws that attach the hinge to the bottom chassis just rip straight off the computer. Then when the screen is adjusted, the hinge starts PRYING the bottom and top chassis apart.

The fucking build quality is so bad and this apparently isn't an isolated engineering flaw:

forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/G50-80-hinge-problem/td-p/3267658

ifixit.com/Answers/View/442460/Laptop body damaged, right screen hinge loose, might fall apart

youtube.com/watch?v=f4FrkXEVxLk

etc etc

Attached: 1JhyQ50.jpg (4608x2592, 624K)

well good thing nobody who frequents the Think Pad General thread would be stupid enough to buy one

my dad was, though.

sorry about 50% of your genetic makeup

t480s is way superior

this test is a bit bullshit because it does not account for thermal paste and undervolting, i've heard that pretty much all 8th gen thinkpads have horrible stock thermal paste, replacing that along with undervolting cpu makes i7 superior and not equal at all

Cheers for memeing me into Corebooting my T420, cunts.
Everything works better in seemingly almost everyway. Is the GRUB bootloader worth messing around with as a Payload? I'm just using the default SeaBIOS.

Attached: we autistic now.jpg (960x619, 56K)

Serious Q: What benefit does corebooting the T420 provide?

It boots noticeably quicker.
You can nerf and disable the ME Botnet in the Chipset.
You can install Ivy Bridge CPUs (I'm considering that upgrade heavily).
Faster RAM can be installed.
Plus it helps my paranoia if an exploit was ever found in the T420's aging stock BIOS.

Downside is you have to completely tear the fucker down to even access the SOIC8 chip to flash.

Anyone have any experience with the X131e? Been eyeballing one to mess with linux while I'm bored.
>E2-1800 1.7Ghz
>4GB memory
>320GB HDD

Attached: 9b08a94f37c7acd7a458772760abcabc.jpg (624x351, 65K)

I get my T420 this week and am honestly considering it now.

I have the 1007u that I was given.
That particular processor is kind of slow with 6-7 tabs of Google chrome open when there is at least 2 of them with video players.

I bought an x230 just because I wanted an upgrade to the real Thinkpad Experience TM. I like it though, neat to have, speakers are alright little weight on them. Careful with the hinges, broke easily on mine, both, so now I have to hold the bottom chassis and slowly adjust the top.

@68557545
Yiff in hell, furfag.

It's worth it, user.
Just look up the Lenovo Maintenance Manual, disassemble it as it says and then follow the X220 corebooting guides.
Best of luck if you do.
Found the newfag

Probably since you guys use ThinkPads you also think...
I'm a Christian MAN, I read up a bit of story of Unix and found that BSD is actually really minimalistic and functional.

I don't like the mascot like, not even a bit, I know, but, since autism..
I'm starting to think that it's just me that sees it, and you have other mascot.

Who came with that mascot, and really whyyyyy it seems a nice system but my ideals are stopping me from using it. And while yes, Linux seem a good kernel it's clib is made by """that guy""", I have nothing against him, seems a good man, but... i always tough """big bones""" are a synonym of lazy/bad...

And since BSD even works on fridges I thought it might be fun to implement to everything in my house.

TL;DR
What's the mascot of BSD?

>fucked up and deleted a partition I didn't mean to
How do I stop being a retard?

Attached: 1537508888046.jpg (807x659, 42K)

Attached: delayclose.jpg (1140x741, 102K)

A flag. Do Christians not like flags? Are they globalists?

Attached: 357px-NetBSD.svg.png (357x279, 19K)

Weak hinges kinda suck. Just noticed though that the X201T is only .5" wider. Might look into that too.

Install templeOS and stfu

Can I replace my T420s screen with a 1080p one?

Attached: 1518644014659.jpg (400x212, 26K)

there are t420s upgrade kits for 1080