What will it take for Linux to become a useable desktop OS?

What will it take for Linux to become a useable desktop OS?

Attached: 66E09244-E37A-4B41-9971-D5087E2A809D.jpg (1024x768, 202K)

it is usable for me
I don't want it to become usable for idiots

For everyday tasks it’s totally fine, but after using it for a while you start to fully realize the burden of retarded-levels of decentralization.

and why don’t people immediately just package shit after they make it? Like make a rpm and deb package already: your software has been out for years, some people don’t want to waste time building from source

and smart phone gaming is the most popular
and marvel movies are the most profitable
plebs gonna pleb

>linux

Attached: acb8427.jpg (1440x964, 111K)

/thread

A marketing campaign

Linux would work fine for the vast majority of users but since it doesn't have the mindshare no one gives a shit.

Having it come preinstalled on new PCs would increment the market share by 50%

Because Gnome/Kde is real shit.

Get rid of gnome

Linux will never become a useable desktop OS by the simple fact that it's only a kernel.

But Chromebooks are already useable

The Chicago Cubs won the world series in 2016

GNOME blows everything elso out of the water. Brainlets just don't understand it's brilliance.

Attached: GPEPE.png (1048x1024, 261K)

This is correct. Linux is praised due to its customization capabilities, and how it can be tuned for whatever the fuck you do with enough scripting and CLI skills, but for most users (and even for power users in a hurry) what matters is "how can this help me do X and how long it will take?".

For most users, it's simpler to use Windows because that's what comes preinstalled with their prebuilt or notebook.
For gamers, it's easier to use Windows than to mess with any of the Wine wrappers and DXVK, or worse, getting adequate hardware and configuring a VM with PCIe passthrough.
For any professional that values his/her time, then it's Windows or MacOS as things are expected to work out of the box, or else you can get support from the vendor of the software (in Linux you can buy software support, but it's often restricted to Ubuntu or maybe Fedora, anything else you're on your own).
Anyone else uses Linux, and it works *okay* for development and media consumption. Yes, sometimes things break, and after a while you get used to it and learn where things are in the specific distro you're using currently (Xorg config files can be in a multitude of places, as a single file, or several files, depending on the distro, for example).

>and why don’t people immediately just package shit after they make it?
I make software for me, and sometimes my close friends. With Python this means writing a setup.py file and then it can be installed in a virtualenv by cloning the repo and running "pipsi install .".
Even if I wanted to package the things, there are many different packaging formats that I would have to learn, and then I would have to maintain the packages so they don't get outdated... for absolutely no benefit to me or my friends.
Maybe other developers see things differently.

"Linux" is only "customization" because its just a kernel, which dozens of different operating systems use. You can install ubuntu in maybe 30 minutes and all the apps 90% of people use (browsers) will just work.

If you are so lazy you can't spend 30minutes to install a linux OS, and invest even the tiniest amount of effort learning basic things about it, that you put up with windows bugs, ads, and spyware bullshit, then you are a retard.

>For everyday tasks it’s totally fine, but after using it for a while you start to fully realize the burden of retarded-levels of decentralization.

This.

Apple and Microsoft have huge teams of developers that work in synergy with each other.

Desktop linux is just a bunch of redundant and conflcting projects, half of them will turn into unmantainted shovelware in a few years.

That's why Linux at its best is in the enterprise and server areas.

Kill all archfags, unify big distros under a single one with "custom packs" downloadable through a repository.

It is already usable and the desktop is dead. Linux dominates server and mobile markets. Focusing on desktop Linux is a waste of time. This is like asking "how can we get the horse&buggy to be as usable as the electric car?"

Microsoft office and gayms

>Microsoft (has) huge teams of developers that work in synergy with each other
*pffff* Let's not get ahead of ourselves user.

Attached: kek.jpg (600x582, 61K)

If OpenGL/Vulkan overtake DirectX

drivers, software, in that order

no point in using an OS if your hardware doesn't just work
no point in using an OS if you don't have anything to run on it