Debian Support Thread

Hello, welcome to the Debian Support Thread. Ask your questions about Debian.

Attached: debian.png (181x209, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.release-lifecycle.html
youtu.be/k2xM-d56BJ8?t=269
debian.org/releases/sid/
debian.org/releases/
MyHourlyPay.com/?userid=61024
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why are all of your packages so ancient and how do you possibly justify that?

backports

...has nothing

Read this and ask again if you still have question

That's not a justification. It's honestly a crime to not give your users the choice to use software from this millennium.

You crying about not getting what you want from something that doesn't offer it or care about you is not what the Debian Support Thread is all about. Kindly move along.

not OP, but I like debian's packaging since I don't have to worry about an update borking my laptop. It's also low maintenance and allows me to install and forget.

no need for a support thread? it JUST WERKS on my machine.

>false premise
the software is not ancient. guess my kernel version, and my Python version, and GCC version, and Firefox version. I'm on stable and fully updated by debian standards.

>honestly a crime
literally (literally) incorrect

>no need for a support thread
I make this thread for someone who has support questions about Debian. For example, apt can be intimidating to new users. Sometimes there are irresponsible guides on the internet that lead users to mess up their system. That system can be fixed. Maybe someone wants to backport a package but doesn't know how.

I have a question myself, it is about backports and multiarch.

Maybe it's a bunk thread, I will see, maybe I will make it again tomorrw

noble goal, but most people on debian (at least on Jow Forums) will just search for themselves.

Why would I use Debian over Ubuntu?

user, i think debian isn't the distro for you

A few raisins:
1.) Debian is predictable.
2.) Debian works better than Ubuntu.
3.) Ubuntu is run by corporation.
4.) Ubuntu is based on Debian.
5.) Debian is OG free software meritocracy linux distribution.

Right, I don't use Debian.
I'm a software developer working in an area that moves extremely quickly. Even being as little as 6 months behind can mean you're missing out on new and important features.

Gotta stay on that bleeding edge, so I use Arch.
I just poke fun at Debian, because whenever someone on it tries to use our software, they basically have to compile all of your dependencies too, since the Debian ones are too old.

My own question is this:
I run multiarch amd64/i386. I backports freetype and fontconfig from testing. I make the packages in virtual machines. When I want to install them on the host dpkg complains about some conficting files in usr/share/docs (the change logs don't match). What is a way to make better packages, better compatible for multiarch? I work around the issue by deleting the conflicting files.

I can get very specific if necessary.

>working in an area that moves extremely quickly
Ah, you must be one of those javascript baristas we've been hearing about. Or do you prefer code ninja? Are you still using nodejs, or have you moved onto another meme framework?

No, I work with Linux graphics, which all happens in C.

Ubuntu is a meme and now you the benefit of being both Red Hat's and Canonical's bitch
youtu.be/k2xM-d56BJ8?t=269

Being stupid is not what this thread is about. You kindly move along as well

oh shit I look like a tool now. Sorry about that lad.

Why is it acceptable that sid packages remain broken and uninstallable for several days? I'd really like to use it, but all the effort is beign put only on stable.

You're right, all the effort is being put in Stable. It is "acceptable" for packages to be broken in unstable because it is a development distribution intended for Debian Developers working on Debian.

Please refer to these documents for more details.
debian.org/releases/sid/
debian.org/releases/

Please read these and ask again if you are still unsure about something.

it was a joke

Hello fellow Debian users. I use Sid myself.
I have no questions to ask at the moment, but I want to implore you folks to not keep falling for the 'Debian is ancient' meme posters. it is painfully obvious it's memeing and they don't actually have anything of value to discuss.

It is rare that packages on Sid will stay inactive for a few weeks, let alone months.

MyHourlyPay.com/?userid=61024

Then fucking release stable faster. You freeze testing for some months every 2 years. Over those 2 years they are literally doing nothing, both testing and unstable are unusable most of the time while stable just gets baby bug fixes and security updates. Devs should keep freezing and maintaining more testing snaps instead of sitting in their asses sucking off sjw trannies