/spg/ - Smartphone General

Choose Your Weapon Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: DsMEuU7UcAAmxwt.jpg (1536x2048, 698K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-s10-design-leak-hole-punch,news-28544.html
gsmarena.com/samsung_may_have_narrowed_down_the_galaxy_s10s_design-news-34251.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because poojeets suck at concept designs

Just got a notification to upgrade from Nougat to Oreo 8.1. Should I do it or is it shit?

My issue
>have icon pack (let's call it Alpha)
>App (let's say amazon) updates
>App icon reverts to stock icon instead of Alpha
>Go to change app icon
>icon pack is so big it's hard to find icon i want

is there a launcher that lets you search the icon pack for the corresponding app, if that icon pack has an icon for it?

I can't decide between the Xiaomi MI A2 and the Redmi note 6, any tips? I really want android one but no headphone jack is a huge pain, is the Mi UI usable or I'll be forced to install a custom ROM?>

The camera cutout ("infinity-O") is pretty much confirmed at this point:
tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-s10-design-leak-hole-punch,news-28544.html
gsmarena.com/samsung_may_have_narrowed_down_the_galaxy_s10s_design-news-34251.php

What's the main selling point of the A2 light compared to the note 5? Android One and the dual card slot?

Get the Note 6 Pro. You'll get a headphone jack, expandable storage and a bigger battery. MIUI is perfectly usable and you always have custom ROMs available as an alternative.

head phone jack, IR blaster, mSD support

>head phone jack, IR blaster, mSD support
both phones have those

note 9

Just ordered the Redmi note 5 6gb 128gb for $220. Did I fuck up?

Not much changes from N to O but I'd suggest updating just for the novelty

Upgrading my OG Pixel I've had for 2 years to an S9 plus. Costs only $630 new. Tired of this little cuck screen but not sure how I will like the curved glass. did I fuck up not waiting for the s10?

>Get the Note 6 Pro
> no type-c

what a meme

yes, I put a curse on your phone without you knowing

Moto x4, Nokia 6(2018) or a2 lite? The Nokia being the most expensive one at 177€ currently. All as 3/32 versions.
The a2 lite has (short lasting) deals popping up every so often which bumps the 4/64 version even under the x4's price of about 150€ though. Without importing from chinks Moto is currently the cheapest contender.

Anybody have experience with the mid-range Galaxy A8? How is it? I really need to replace my aging S5 but don't care for high-end phones.

Give me a reason not to buy the iPhone XS Max.

Return and spend the extra money to get the poco.

Went into an xfinity store this afternoon and checked out the XR, it's pretty decent phone and if I needed an upgrade I'd get it (they're $750 on ebay right now). I'll keep my 8 Plus for another year and see what shakes out on prices but you usually can't find better than used/like new a few months within release. And there's Swappa too but I've never used it.

It's a waste because the OLED isn't enough to justify the price. It's not that more vibrant because Apple's LCD's are callibrated really well. You will notice black levels differences at 30%+ brightness but it doesn't affect anything else. Get the XR for battery life since it has the same camera tech minus optical zoom. You're gonna feel regret regardless because of the blackout bars when viewing 16:9 content you might as well pay less for it.

What do you think, lads?
I'm on the iPhone 6s Plus and it's about to die. Thinking about getting the Note 9 or waiting for the S10. Will only really consider getting the S10 if they keep the headphone jack.

Get the s9 this coming black friday/cyber monday and wait for the second gen of s10. If the s10 sucks, no harm. If it's good, the next one should be better. If the next one is not better, then hopefully the s10 will be good. Let other people fall into the hole first.

Those are big bezels

Attached: F.jpg (2560x1440, 250K)

Got a S7 that's paid off next month with that lease deal. And now that it's at the 2 year mark, 15% battery lasts 10minutes. Is this fucking intentional? I was excited my bill would be decreasing by 27 a month, but fuck, it's near useless.

Attached: 1475211129579.jpg (324x451, 14K)

So I'm thinking about switching from my iPhone to an android phone. Between the note 8 and the s9+, if I don't really care for the s-pen is there any other reason to get the note 8 over the s9+?

so what

Attached: 1542542548106.jpg (1000x667, 59K)

Attached: 1542542639647.jpg (1000x667, 72K)

Not really, no.

Planned obsolescence. :(

not an iOS user but something about those bezel borders look cool. makes the screen pop out or something?

Damn that pull-down menu ugli

Is the moto z2 force good for $250?

yes, yes it is
by the way, where is it $250?

Who here still /note 4/

It has a plastic screen but still good

Lads... Sailfish was a mistake. It was too obscure... why do i keep falling for these memes, i was on the windows phone bandwagon for a short period of time.

I've been using it on a OnePlus X I got for 100 canadabux, it's unofficial so not fully up to date and doesn't include stuff like Android app compatibility or a very good predictive keyboard.

Got a Xperia X for C$200 and it took ages to arrive, and my dumb ass stepped on it within a couple weeks. Digitizer is fucked.

So after using the OnePlus X for a bit, I decided to get a xiaomi mi a2 lite, waiting for shipping and delivery now. Back to Android I guess.

You can bet the Infinity-O on the S10 will NOT be on the left side. Too many apps with back buttons/names/tabs/etc to block. At least in the center middle it won't block much as long as it's not too low.
I still firmly believe a slide up FFC is the best way to go, with 0 bezel and still the potential for high quality sensors. Mi Mix 3 has the best idea.

Poorfag here. Just signed up for an Honor Play contract. I don't really care about rooting my phone so that's not an issue and the Pocophone F1 isn't available on contract in my country.

That said, how badly did I fuck up?

Attached: 6757567.jpg (728x454, 53K)

Would OnePlus still be considered a good option for value in a world where most flagships are reaching $800+?

please suggest some phones I can compare for this

u.s.
t-mobile
want phone to be able to root
sd card
no fucking notch pls
Less than $800 usd please

Motorola eBay has the at&t version.
That version has a locked boot loader, so you can't flash custom ROMs.

Anybody here taking advantage of that one year free Sprint service deal? If so, what's a cheap phone to swap to that and any advice on how to get it if you already have Sprint service? Can I just transfer a Google Voice number?

Attached: 3d363bcc-85f0-4fa7-8485-d8c21bee1d8e.jpg (1024x602, 69K)

Samsung's planned obsolescence has become even worse than Apple's. Install a custom ROM and your battery life will be much better, the battery throttling is done through software

Note 9

It has a full desktop docking experience (Samsun Dex) and Linux on Dex just entered private beta. In the beta, its fucking sweet. Computer in my pocket. The camera can also see better in the dark than you can, without a flash.

I'll never forgive Samsung for not making this phone have a removable battery and using a stupid fucking curved screen. Battery life is great, but they all die eventually. Curved screen hits everything when the phone is dropped.

Attached: peepee.jpg (720x515, 47K)

Got hit by a car and now the screen on my zuk z2 pro is fucked up.
Looking to get something newer but similar for under 400 CAD.
Need a good GPS and battery life.
Carrier is not a big deal I can switch.

Are there any decent black Friday deals for some phones? I have a note 4 and love it because it's rooted and we'll It's lasted me this long. Any recommendations bros?

My Pixel just shit the bed, why is every option shit? I'm tired of paying $800+ for phones that last like two years. I don't like IOS, but I'm pretty tired of dealing with Android's bullshit and every time something breaks I hate slogging through a thousand broken english tutorials from smelly indians.

The iphone SE is gone, all the new iphones have stupid notches and shit and cost too much money. The Pixel 3 is supposedly going on sale for $650 on Thanksgiving, so I guess I could grudgingly buy one buy I don't want to. I used to have a Sony Z2 which was a great phone, but the XZ3 is like 900 fucking dollars and there's no compact version of it yet. The XZ2 compact is already outdated, I guess, and it's a slightly more palatable $500 but it looks like a thick cheap plastic piece of shit. Samsung is trash, don't even get me started.

Are there any alternatives I'm missing? I just want a small or small-ish unlocked phone that isn't garbage and doesn't feel like a complete ripoff for the price.

64gb Galaxy S9 or OnePlus 6T 8GB/128GB? Both are the same price

Galaxy has
-Slightly Better Camera
-Better Build Quality/Warranty
-Better Quality Screen
-Expandable Memory
-3.5mm Jack

OnePlus has
-Stock Android (smoother/cleaner/simpler, less likely to turn into a laggy piece of shit in a year)
-Twice the RAM
-Noticeably better battery

Anything I'm missing?

Use stock icons, stop ricing.

>AMOLED
enjoy your burn in
get a pocoshit

XZ2 compact, it's not outdated kys

I'm kind of leaning in that direction. I also just found the Nokia 6.1 which is $200 and looks a bit nicer and Android One sounds like a good thing, so I don't know what the catch is. It's 5.5" instead of 5", though. It looks like no matter which way I go I have to downgrade from OLED to LCD, but I guess that's fine.

Are you Chinese? Or did the vendor slap global MIUI on it?

S9, Pixel 3/XL on sale

OLED is a meme, especially with phones that have lots of static things on display like the time and battery life and all that.

Could've had a Pixel 3 for $649

Attached: pixel compare.png (835x722, 385K)

Fair enough. So is there any reason I shouldn't get the Nokia? The Sony is like 50% thicker and plastic and costs more than twice as much, really the only pros I'm seeing are that it's waterproof and a bit smaller in width and length.

kinda, though their prices have creeped up to over $500 in last years which is definitely flagship pricing. It's still good value, but something like the Poco F1 is the new OnePlus One, great value for same specs, then the Poco F2,3,4,5 will get more expensive until there will be the next company offering the flagship SoC for $300

No reason at all, it looks solid. Half price makes the deal

To add, the Sony is slightly more powerful but not enough to justify the price unless you're a fanboy, and I guess the camera is better there than on the Nokia.

This makes the first iPhone look like a Vivo Nex

I mean the ability to drop my phone in the toilet or in the sink or in the pool or use it in the shower and not come out with a 1000 dollar brick is much better than paying 100-300 to replace the battery. Said battery being 4000MHZ and the likelihood of having to replace something that big is very slim. Making the back non removable is a bad Investement when you're dealing with tiny battery phones, yes, but if your battery is a bigboi then it's better that the back is sealed for waterproofing

When's the Pixel 3 Lite coming out already?

why shouldn't i buy the breez x5

Attached: DrjCeItVsAAWO3D.jpg (715x1024, 225K)

I'm a normie so should I install some custom rom on my poco like lineage? Any performance improvements or is it just fancy ricing

I really want an Asus Zenfone 4 Pro, but it has zero community support. Such a shame.

There's no purpose in doing this besides to fit in with Jow Forums or if you have a device that official updates don't come out for anymore (with android this means a device older than 2 years old)

Can you recommend me phone which has a big enough screen for reading manga? i have a Kobo Aura HD but either it's resolution ducks or my manga source

yikes

Attached: Dp_9cbHVsAAu048.jpg (1200x900, 216K)

Yeah you should install lineage to get out of the chink botnet

I hate my s6 edge and this phone looks good(no jack is shit but whatever) but its not too big and has a nice design.

Worth 200?

Attached: p20-lite-blk-1.jpg (1000x1000, 65K)

>6-8GB RAM
>Stock Android or close to stock, with frequent software updates, pie if possible
>Whole day or longer battery life
>Good point-and-shoot camera, featureset not important as long as it takes good pictures without having to configure much
Price and carrier don't matter. Anything fits these requirements?

What's the best free/libre music player?

is this the creeps' fav phone?

mi max 3

no huawei phone is ever worth it, get another chink phone instead.

Attached: Screenshot_1.png (800x435, 237K)

what's a nice suckless music player?

Go with the 6T... I got mine 12 days ago and I don't regret buying it. That's very rare for me. I tested the S9 for a couple of days and I was disappointed. The software is absolute shit, and what the hell is bixby? Doesn't even work in my country.

OnePlus 6T with gcam should be fine for you user.

Odyssey is cool

Is it worth upgrading my old Galaxy Note 4 with Note 5?
I think it'll be dead soon, but I can't afford neither Note FE or 8. Stylus is also must have for me, so I can't go for S7.

Suckless?

>Get the Note 6 Pro
>no type-c
>what a meme
So? Is a port you'll rarely even see going to make that much of a difference to you as well as another cable? Charging times are already great - around 2 hours for a 4000 mAh battery.
It's locked down like the majority of their midrange devices. Shame, because some could've been perfect successors to the S5.
>Got a S7 that's paid off next month with that lease deal.
And people still wonder why they're discouraged for wanting to lease their new phones.
>There's no purpose in doing this besides to fit in with Jow Forums or if you have a device that official updates don't come out for anymore (with android this means a device older than 2 years old)
And those official updates have telemetry software pre-installed, along with ads for some region. Official updates also stop after two years and not installing a custom ROM on a developer friendly Xiaomi device then seems odd.

Is gcam that revolutionary for the end results of the photographs or is it just the app itself and the functions and etc?

Like is there a massive difference between a Pixel 3 camera and say a One Plus 6T with gcam? I know the sensors are different but everyone always talks about how the Pixel phones are great because of the software not the sensor so without more context it makes it sound like gcam ports are "basically pixel level"

LG V30, Motorola Z2 Force/Z2 Play, Moto X4

Gcam ports are a software solution to improve the quality of photos in non pixel phones

Why the fuck do people do this?

Anyone that looked at the pixel very first look should go "hey, compared to the competition, this phone is a retarded piece of shit LOL", but not in did you buy it, then say it was shit, then mention buying a pixel 3

This is exactly the same as goggling the apple cock and buying a phone with defects every year

Mi A2 Lite or Redmi Note 5 / Note 6 Pro

Q1 2019

Install Nova launcher you'll be fine

tnx

Get the OnePlus 6t 8gb Ram and 128gb of storage for $580. If you don't like that go to Apple.

>contract
See:
>huawei in particular
Locker bootloaders, meaning you're financing another phone most likely a year after your phone stops getting updates. And to add insult to injury - Hisilicon Kirin instead of Qualcomm Snapdragon.

>same image on all three
how lazy can you get

Poco owners, how are the cameras on it?

Serviceable. Nothing special. Slight improvement with gcam.
But not flat out awful either. About as good as my HTC 10's camera but a little worse at night time shots.
I'd say good enough.

Compact androids under 5 inches that aren't shit?

XZ1 Compact

thats an oof if i've ever seen one

I'm disappointed to learn Sharp is chinese now. No wonder.

Attached: 1541313615916.jpg (775x500, 120K)

XZ1c

or the much cheaper X Compact from late 2016. Still pretty capable.

IPhone SE too. No other options really.

Why not XZ2c and don't use meme reasons