I am... forgotten

Attached: 1200px-Crystal_language_logo.svg.png (1200x487, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/crystal-lang/crystal/commits/master
github.com/search?q=language:D&type=Repositories
github.com/search?q=language:Rust&type=Repositories
ponylang.io/
luckyframework.org/why-lucky/.
tiobe.com/tiobe-index/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

github.com/crystal-lang/crystal/commits/master

It's still being updated. It doesn't matter if no one is talking about it, it's still not really ready for mainstream use.

I will definitely be using it when v1.0.0 comes out, whether it be 2019, 2020 or later I don't really care. Good things take time.

is this C with ruby syntax?

And 0 parallelism. A language in 2018 was designed without parallelism in mind. Think about that.

Thats why it's dead. Nim seems better anyway. Shame the compiler is full to the brime with bugs.

The bandwagon of "new" meme compiled languages left with just Go and Rust, maybe Julia if we are lucky. Haxe will hang there too on its weird niche.

Crystal, Nim, Red, Jai and all the others are destined to be forgotten.

I like crystal, I use it for a few projects

Rust isn't even as popular as D. It's effectively dead too. Go seems to be doing well.

Better than all the meme languages out there. It'd be top tier if people weren't playing with Rust and other trash instead.

Maybe, but at least Rust has proper threading. I think Rust is just one big meme but Crystal doesn't even have that.

Nah. I use it.

Rust isn't dead, it was made by mozilla to fix memory leaks in firefox.
It's better for them if it gets popular since they'll be able to find cheaper programmers more easily but if it doesn't they'll keep using it anyway.

It's meant primarily for writing network APIs and web backends. Having solid, deeply integrated concurrency is more important than parallelism for that, and Crystal is great at concurrency.

>Rust isn't even as popular as D
By what metric?
github.com/search?q=language:D&type=Repositories
github.com/search?q=language:Rust&type=Repositories

>It's meant primarily for writing network APIs and web backends.

Dead in the water. Golang already fills that niche.

>It's meant primarily for writing network APIs and web backends

Why, there are so many, Node, Go etc, why another one

Crystal's emerging niche seems to be type-driven web development for people who don't want to use Haskell or Scala. With its anemic type system Go can't help you with that. Swift could do it, but running Swift on Linux sucks badly enough that only companies already invested in Swift due to iOS development use it.

Crystal is just statically typed and compiled Ruby, its really nothing compared to Pony
ponylang.io/

"Just" is not a word I'd use for a statically typed Ruby. It is very impressive that they managed to create a statically typed language feels like a scripting language. They had to introduce features not seen in mainstream OOP languages to get there. It's an achievement. The result is that it makes possible things like luckyframework.org/why-lucky/.

features that have existed for +20 years in other languages

Such as?

>Go seems to be doing well
I'd say an increase of 1.5x in "useness" is more than well.

>last year: only you and your wife
>this year: you, your wife and her son

>last year
>miliions
>this year
2.5 millions

More like it.

ML languages

> links abandoned open sores projects primarily consisting of hello world

tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

Thing went sour when asteris gave up trying to improve the compiler (and it was such a piece of shit, too)

Windows support ( with portable binary) never.

>links to fucking tiobe

this
dlang is dead
Walter not-so-Bright failed so many times nobody trusts him anymore, and even if he didn't, why would one like to use a language with half-yearly version releases (some of those fuckos did even want quarter-year versions)?

Rust sure has issues, but at least they understand the concept of stable language standards.

The absolute state of D-niles

D is a fine language and Walter is a good developer and not a shithead like some FOSS project leads. What's wrong with the release schedule?

Half a year is pretty retarded for a language standard. What kind of big ass-project has time to fix all that stuff each half a year? What compiler team has time to accumulate all the changes half a year?
Related: Is its stdlib gc-free yet?
I don't doubt Bright is a good developer, I doubt he is a good language designer. I mean, dlang1 shouldn't even have been a thing if he was somewhat competent.

It's not, I still use it :>