How can we improve console controls?

videogame console controls are falling way behind. im just using the ps4 as an example here.
>they are basically using the same design as the ps1 controller that was launched in 1994.
Thats the first generation 3D gaming.

I just got a ps4 and i notice that there is way too much going on when it comes to game mechanics compared to what the controller can handle.
There are so many combinations of buttons needed to be used that every move feels like im entering a gta cheat code.

And on the other end, you have the games where the controller is basically useless. Shooting games etc.
Those games are completely broken when you play on console compared to mouse and keyboard.
The only things the controller is good for is controlling vehicles and very basic games like spyro etc.

I think its time to come up with a new controller that keeps up with the games we have today.
The VR stuff has so many limitations and is basically the nintendo power glove of our time. Its fun and weird, but its not practical. Unless you play VR games in a machine made for that specific game, its completely useless.

I would love to hear your ideas of an upgraded console control.

>It needs to have the presition of a fingertip (instead of a thumb)
>The moving range of a mouse
(I think the left stick movement might actually be fine, and i know there are controls with that stick and a mouse, but that only fixes shooting game issues)
>It needs a more natural, intuitive control. Thats what they try to do with VR, but VR doesnt work.

I also think some resistance would be good for many games. When i play For Honor, and move my guard from one side to the next, it takes much longer for the game to switch side than it takes for me to press the stick in the direction. If the stick had resistance and went from zero to the other side in the same speed as the game (and not allowing me to press it any further than the speed he moves it in the game) then that would be great.

Idk. Lets hear your ideas.

Attached: 1200px-PSX-Console-wController.jpg (1200x551, 65K)

New consoles have usb ports just stick in a keyboard and a mouse you mouthbreather.

Sony perfected the controller with their first try.

Steam Controller

>videogame console
Jow Forums - video games

Attached: stopped reading there.jpg (250x272, 62K)

/thread

the steam controller is desperately missing a second analog stick, which is definitely needed for some games.
webm related, the first ~20 seconds is me using the steam controller touchpad using the button mappings the developers of the game provided, the rest is me using the analog stick on an xbox controller. i wouldn't call this an improvement at all, it's simply not working properly.

the steam controller lacks games that were designed specifically for it. games that were designed for kb+m are still better with kb+m, games that were designed for regular controllers are still better with a regular controller and games that were designed for touchscreens are still better on a touchscreen. the only thing the steam controller has going for it is customizability, but that's not a feature exclusive to the steam controller.

Attached: magicka steam controller.webm (698x538, 1.54M)

> calls psx ps1
> doesn't know about psOne

You weren't even born yet

We improve console controls by getting rid of consoles and putting everything on PC because mouse and keyboard is better.

buttons on the handles
rethink analog vs digital necessities
revisit Gamecube controller
consider Hitbox

my first computer was a ps one and the psx name never made sense to me

>calls the PlayStation psx
>doesn't know about the failure that was the psx

I never understood why people ever tried to call it the psx in the first place

Attached: 300px-Console_psx.jpg (300x200, 17K)

The PS2 controller was the pinnacle of controller design IMO. Everything after that is simply refinement and gimmicks.

The code name during development was ‘ps-x’.

>no analogue trigger
Fuck outta here with your nostalgic bullshit.
The PS4 pad is unironically the best controller, matched only by the Xbox360 pad

You too. During the 90s when I had a playstation, it was very common to shorten the name to PSX. This was long before the launch of the PS2 and the DVR.

Nobody said PSOne as the smaller console had not been released yet, and nobody had even heard about a PS2 yet.

*third try

First had no analog or vibrate
Second (dual analog) had no vibrate
Third (dual shock) has both

No one calls consoles by their code name. Man gotta grab me some morw dolphin games

Every single button except for L3/R3, start, and select were pressure sensitive on the PS2. Lots of games made use of this, like MGS3 that used it to decide if you should shoot or not. Press the fire button lightly, and Snake would just lift the weapon, but not fire, press it hard, and he would fire. Racing games also made good use of the feature.

Yeah, i remember playing Gran Turismo 4 for the first time and not understanding why the fuck my car was so slow.
The pressure sensitive buttons are cool and all, but nothing beats an actual trigger with a spring for feedback, especially when it comes to racing games.

But the gc controller exists tho

We have everything you're asking for in the Steam controller but no one wants to change. There are codes or guys who are great with the Steam controller just mercing people in FPS' with headshot after headshot. It is the logical evolutionary step in controllers but it takes games also being programmed around the controller.

My opinion is that the Dualshock 4 is the best controller of all time but i could see how people might prefer the latest xbox one controller. The DS4 just feels better in my hands.

Might as well got a step further with a wheel and pedals then.

There's never been a game that used analog triggers that wouldn't have been serbed better by another control type alltogether.
For all other games they are a detriment.

>ps2 controller
>pinnacle
the natural thumb position is where the d-pad and a b x y equivalents are. thumb sticks were just an afterthought.
granted, this makes it good for old games and, but as soon as games started to rely more on the sticks the design was outdated.
However, lets not forget about the average japanese hand size. for the rest of the world the controller can only ever be a kids toy.

while the original xbox controller was oversized as hell, xbox 360 fits in pretty much all hands + left side switched d-pad and thumb stick, making it nicer for modern games.
surprisingly the xbox one controller improved on that design by moving the battery pack and the only "gimmick" added was bluetooth for the 2016 model

>No one calls consoles by their code name.
Except the playstation. PSX is very common, probably because "PS" is too ambiguous
It was even showed in magazines, its a short and convenient codename
Most other codenames are longer than more obvious shortenings, like why say ultra64 when there's n64 (some things do use "u64", in fact), or why dolphin over gcn? (Official shorthand on final product codes)

The GameCube controller is the most comfortable imo

Attached: Gamecube-controller.jpg (2900x2500, 3.5M)

Trying that controller was like wearing boxer shorts for the first time.

You'd think it'd be too small, or the face buttons too weirdly shaped, but it delivers so well

>falling behind
No, trying to fuck with working controllers has been a plague on consoles for the last decade. Stop adding motion controls, stop adding touchscreens a mile from the handgrip.

There are exactly two correct controller choices, a Dualshock or a Duke.

Attached: 416783_291162514272340_394562419_n.jpg (471x356, 28K)

As far as shooters go, the only console shooter ever worth your time has always only been the Halo games. Nothing else comes close to getting the design so perfectly to complement the controller as a peripheral for shooters.

As for the rest of your post, trying to make the controller more m/kb-esque is a waste. The overwhelming majority of console players don't care about AAA PC gaming and never will. They like the ease and simplicity of a controller.

Ps1

My favourite console shooter is time splitters 3 on the ps2

If it can't be played on a nes controller might as well grab mkb. What a waste of resources.

Increase input so certain game genres can finally step out of the stone age in terms of game mechanics. Console devs create games with the default controller in mind, because nobody expects consolekiddies to buy peripherals, which results in comatose games where only graphics advances.

Attached: Game controller schematic.jpg (1261x970, 235K)

>My favourite console shooter is time splitters 3 on the ps2
My favorite console shooter is Perfect Dark. But I know it's not objectively better than Halo.
My favorite RPG is pokemon Red.
Nostalgia is a hell of a drug, but I can still understand the difference between bias and actual quality.

That being said, Time Splitters 2 is good

I enjoyed halo 1, and halo 2 multiplayer, but I still find ts3 (and to a lesser extent, 2), more fun, the campaign is more silly and fun, and the local multiplayer is more fast-paced and arcade-like

They have 2 usb max
Nothing even supports kb/m anyway, itd be unfair

Fuck you.

That’s not the XBone controller.

To date the best controller I like is the ps2 one, I still hate triggers and the design of the 360, the only thing it acomplished is making people hold controllers wrong,but to improve the ps2 controller I would add the gyro of the wii u and hd rumble

Attached: 1541952742052.png (1000x1054, 1.43M)

Back in your box, Zoomer. The Playstation was widely referred to as PSX back in the 90s.

Attached: PSX.jpg (435x599, 173K)

improved controls are having a mouse and keyboard but you need to sit at a desk to do that
couch gaming is casual gaming
even sitting up straight in a chair makes you pay more attention

I don't know what the xbone controller looks like

>Halo
Come to think of it, soon we will have people saying Fortnite is he best shooter of the generation and you fags will thing your case was different

This

Halo is really the only shooter to understand the controller and even then that's only really true for the first 3 games. Halo Reach and onwards lost the magic

Fortnite is not strictly a console shooter.
In fact, I think it has more mobile users at this point

not him but that depends on the country I never heard anyone saying psx when I was a kid,.also who the fuck bought videogames magazines?

that's why I said it will be considered a good shotter only on popularity basis

no need to try to reinvent the wheel

Just read user brain activity and link certain thoughts with controls. It will be difficult to use at first but will surpass any controller when mastered.

>also who the fuck bought videogames magazines?
Everyone who was passionate about the hobby and had the monies you poorfaggot.

>not him but that depends on the country I never heard anyone saying psx when I was a kid,.also who the fuck bought videogames magazines?
I didnt have internet access in the 90s

The d-pad is uncomfortably small on the GC controller.

2way Body mind interfaces
Keyboard and mouse and hand held vr type shit is good but it's just not detailed enough for small movements

>tfw gamers are such corporate whores they will gladly grant Sony and Microsoft access to their brainwaves to pew pew faster

>Xbox Fanbot appears

Your opinion is quite simply wrong.

The Dualshock and the Xbone pro/elite whatever controller are great. The Xbone has the trigger buttons on the back. At least in the elite, and the Dualshock has a speaker in the controller. I think maybe adding a gyroscope or motion sensor would be cool. Combine all those features in the same form factor and bam. Perfect controller. Not much else to do desu.

>who the fuck bought videogames magazines
get murdered by a stray dindu you absolute ass

Xbox One stock controller is GOAT. That thing is so comfy to play racing games on. PS4 is good too, but its' rubber somehow gets worn off extremely quickly.

the definite improvement is in the trigger and bumper area.

more buttons there or dif designed buttons touch shit etc.

Pic related + touch pad + six axis + replace right stick with trackball + +built in mic + motion controller functions but there are different ways to go about it
I really want many of these features so the controller can also fulfill the function of other input methods like light guns and driving wheels and so in one device you can have a deep experience and access to almost many different arcade games out of the box.

Attached: 1506344314758.png (747x527, 216K)

Go back to /v/

Thank god most games barely used it

Except no one ever called it that.

>basedtendo d-pad
>basedtendo command and face buttons
Absolutely disgusting.

You may not like it, but this is what peak gaming controls look like.

Attached: best-controller-ever.jpg (3520x2480, 2.55M)

Yeah i'll give you that one.
But the first was still the best conventional one one on the market and so was the second.

Not OP. I use a ps4 as my monitor stand and could easily plug in my keyboard and mouse, which i occasionally do for messages, but I don't know any games which support it. I got it mostly for weebshit anyway though.

it doesn't matter because console controls are still the lowest common denominator. you can't make a videogame with a special controller in mind unless it's pc exclusive and/or you are based enough to make steel battalion.

halo just has such retarded auto aim and bullet manetism that you get a 'headshot' if you actually hit your target. nothing amazing about that. it's not even that hard to aim with an analog stick, it's just worse than mice, but on console everyone has the same pad anyway. the whole thing is literally just pandering to retards because game devs are afraid to demand any mechanical skill of their players. the awful lag of hdtvs in the mid-late 2000s, and still today to a lesser extent, also encourages this aim assist. you can simply have NONE, like resistance on ps4, and no one even complains. too bad that game sucked though.

you can totally use kbm on a couch. all you need is a wooden plank or coffee table or something to put the mouse on. the keyboard can go in your lap. i actually like full size boards better than space savers for that, it's easier to put it on both legs. i used to do it all the time.

The dual analogue stick controller didn't exist until roughly half a year after the N64 came out

A stick, which you lubricate and put inside your asshole. It has pressure sensors and detects your asshole muscle contraptions.
This, plus a stick for your mouth, which detects sucktion, teeth bitting and tongue movements.

These two technologies combined would make perfect console controller. And devices can replace each other. Meaning if you need only rectum controller for particular game, you can give your oral controller to a friend so you can both play this game.

Attached: thinkpepe.jpg (1000x800, 85K)

bring back DualShock2
the one and only real gamers controller, sony really fucked up removing pressure sensitivity

finally someone gets it, the 6 (face) button controller was the apex

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Here's how I know you didn't exist in the 90s. Eat dick.

>t. born in 2000