All jokes and memes aside, is Computer Science a meme degree? I'm starting to realize that I don't have the passion...

All jokes and memes aside, is Computer Science a meme degree? I'm starting to realize that I don't have the passion, motivation, or the smarts to be a top tier programmer. And it seems like this is the type of field where if you're not REALLY good, you're either going to end up being a code monkey or doing web/mobile work. And as tech continues to become more advanced the guys that are at the top will only get more and more work while the bottom 90% will be shit out of luck. Is this pretty much how it works or am I thinking about this all wrong?

Attached: 1538339709843.jpg (720x900, 60K)

OP, I literally don't give a shit what you are saying. I want sauce

so rude

Elastigirl looking good in Incredibles 3.

Programming is for pajeets. Drop out of college and get your CCNA.

Are you have strupid? "so rude" is not saucery? go commit toaster bath for all i care you shitmeister

Holy fuck reverse image search it you lazy faggot. Literally one of the first results for me

Fucking this you newfag turd. Now go beat your virgin dick to this girl and fuck off, this thread is for adults.

just get an applied math degree.
you can use it in any field.

lazy faggot here
i am paralyzed from te neck down and have to use tongue n stick to compute

it has autocomple but it writtan in ass

tow me a bone here

>I'm starting to realize that I don't have the passion, motivation, or the smarts to be a top tier programmer.
What are you seeking? Are you seeking to be a software developer or someone who specializes in the theory of computer science?

Cisco is literally full of Indians.

Jow Forums is literally full of redditors
What's the difference, again?

A developer of course, preferable one that actually builds shit and isn't only maintaining or reworking someone else's project and code

Programming is modern literacy. You have to be able to code. It's not an option to be illiterate. You don't have to be shakespeare.

I unironically did this but can't get an IT job and I don't even know what kind of jobs I should be applying for with this fucking thing. Please can some user point me in the right direction?

>you can use it in any field.
Like what?

>And as tech continues to become more advanced the guys that are at the top will only get more and more work while the bottom 90% will be shit out of luck
as I understand this won't happen for another 10-20 years if A.I. is what you're thinking about.

Alina Zaleschenko
also fuck this thread

>is Computer Science a meme degree?
No. I dunno what to tell you, because you didn't really explain why you would think this might be true.

Get certs

How about reading ALL of the post you imbecile

I did, cunt. What does him being a lazy and dumb and all that other shit have to do with computer science and its possible status as a meme degree?

Go back and re-read it if you're going to ask stupid fucking questions

kys

You first

Computer Science includes other jobs.

IT in general is full of Indians. Fucking hell, all of the major tech CEOs are goddamn Indian. Every poster here is probably Indian too.

As long as your uni doesn't suck doing a degree in CS unironically is really good, I've barely worked on my resume or extra-curricular stuff but I'm getting offers from plenty of companies, mostly banks and aerospace with pretty sick pay for a graduate.
Then again I guess that also depends on what country you're in, I'm studying in England, for what it's worth.

>is Computer Science a meme degree
In my experience, the only people who say this are bitter NEETs or people who are incapable of grasping the concept of programming and thus are bitter because of it. I studied CS at a mid-tier state school and got a job as a developer at a Fortune 500 two months after graduating.
If you aren't a complete autist, it's incredibly easy to get a job with a CS degree.

Whatever your real passion is, I'm sure you can make a living programming computers to do it for you.

Attached: stallman-peppers.png (341x512, 345K)

do you have the passion to be a decent programmer (not top tier)? if so, then go for it. not everyone has to be great at it. we still need the coding equivalent of ditch diggers.

Is there anything aside from university researcher that focuses in the theory of computation? I find it really interesting, but I don't know about any fields of application aside from writing papers

Not a meme degree, but like Engineering and doctoring, it kind of defines exactly what job it qualifies you for so you better hope you like that job. But unlike Engineering and doctoring, at least it was only a 4-year commitment.

If you're not good at your job in any field you're going to be doing shit work. Not specific to CS at all. We're also not anywhere near tech getting sufficiently advanced to put programmers out of jobs. You'll probably be forced out by ageism long before that becomes a problem.

Well the problem with this theory is that it seems like the demand for decent programmers will eventually disappear as tech becomes more advanced, and only the best people will be able to find work

>As long as your uni doesn't suck doing a degree in CS unironically is really good
This so much. It depends on the school you go to.

How do you know if your school is good or not?

Any junior/smaller company sysadmin position should be fine provided you have the experience. If you dont have experience you're unfortunately gonna have to do some sort of help desk position, preferably for an msp. Once you have a year of experience or more go apply to dedicated network admin/analyst positions. Best of luck user

>I don't even know what kind of jobs I should be applying for with this fucking thing
Dude, you apply for literally every job you want to do. You're gonna get a shitload of rejections, and that's fine. Seriously, if you're in that position you use the shotgun approach. Spray that god damn resume out there and eventually you're gonna hit something.

Someone should do a cum tribute and then email it to Stallman just to see what his response is.

Yeah I don't have any kind of IT experience so help desk is probably a good idea.

I don't like rejection, but you're right about that. I'll start sending it out again left and right. Thanks bro

>I don't like rejection, but you're right about that.
np man. Not to hand out life lessons and shit here, but honestly learning to deal with rejection over the course of the years really changed my life for the better.
There are an infinite number of reasons you get rejected for whatever the hell it is you are getting rejected from. Some of it is in your control, but often a lot of it frankly is most definitely not.
Swing for the fucking fences. If you swing enough times, eventually you're gonna get a hit.

How difficult is it to study for/obtain a whole bunch of different certifications?

11/10 in difficulty.

>dat posture
Bitch is gonna get rekt if she keeps that up.

4channel is a worksafe board pls delete this image op i dont think the advertisers will like it :^)

Get your degree. It's useless anyway, but a degree will just land you in front of somebody with the same level of experience, but without a degree. If you don't want to be a programmer, then become a network administrator (while it lasts, until Mesh Networks don't overtake ISPs). Last thing you could do is become a sysadmin, which is probably just as bad as programming. But be advised, getting a sysadmin job is 100x harder than getting a code monkey job.

physics, chemistry, engineering, law, research, etc...
anything and everything uses math. someone with a background it applied math will be able to do whatever they want.

the only meme here is you

tip:
life means nothing other than the pleasure you derive from it, so cheat lie and steal in a way that lets you live your life happily for the rest of your pathetic worthless days

:-]

How is it possible that "adults" can be so childish and stupid?
Jesus, it's fuching cringe.

If you don't want to program, I'd find another industry. A sysadmin/netadmin that can't program is going to have a horrible long-term career. If you just want a job I guess it's fine.

Trust me, I thought I could just get a sysadmin job and be happy, but now, 5-6 years into my career, I am doubling down on programming.

Even if you do program though, you are right that 90% of jobs out there are shitwork and/or reinventing the wheel that other companies have done but won't share to improve everyone else. Think deployment systems.. even at FAANG companies, everyone uses a bespoke system, and have multiple teams of devs working them up from the ground. Seems sort of depressing to work on solutions that have already been solved.

Also FAANG hires amazing programmers to do mundane things as well. A lot of these systems are just generic workflow engines over and over again in java frameworks, mostly just defining your inputs/outputs and writing the glue.

CS is a meme, but it's the only meme that will give you enough opportunity and money to do whatever else you want in life. I can't think of a profession that is a better ROI today if you work hard, especially accounting for the relative small amount of education you need to go through to be taken seriously compared to doctors/lawyers/etc.

The only upside to finishing a CS degree, is that you can do a minor in business, and then focus on starting your own company once you know both sides. If you aren't into programming for programming's sake, and you find it depressing to reinvent the wheel like I do, you should be focusing on becoming an entrepreneur, so you can hire all the memers here that will happily reinstall gentoo over and over again.

Attached: yjcTylr.jpg (550x413, 15K)

Just go to a trade school if you want to learn programming.

Then go make your own shit. Software development is goal based. You learn just enough shit to make the shit you want to work and maybe a bit more if you want more candy.

If you're going to go about it without an actual goal and just thinking that you just want to learn this then you aren't going to get anywhere.

Think something like "I want to create an Anime encoding site that's torrent based and uses crowdsourcing for encoding videos" then start googling and getting into high performance parallel computing , encoding commands and how to run them in clustered networks (via opencl etc.), and peer to peer networking. Stop being a pajeet writing hello world in your NPC factory classrooms.

>actually builds shit and isn't only maintaining or reworking someone else's project

I find that most people at my job are too brainlet to actually dive into other projects and understand it in order to get to the point where they are good at reworking features and maintaining. True brainlets just throw their hands up in the air, and want to rewrite the entire thing.

There is an art to approaching already made projects that you are dismissing.

Is 30 too old to go and get a degree? I've been making random shit with different languages for years.

Attached: 1532591600901[1].jpg (1366x2048, 315K)

> I am doubling down on programming
Elaborate please. What languages, why, what tasks?

>I'm starting to realize that I'm a brainlet
You are a brainlet by the way.
You have a pedestrian thought process.
No one promised that you would be president of the united states by following these three simple steps.
Why do you think that you're promised a career with a paygrade within the top 10% of the entire United States just because you got a piece of paper?
You're a fucking dumbass.
You're either skilled or you plumb toilets. This is how it works in EVERY field.

>I'm starting to realize that I don't have the passion, motivation, or the smarts
such a dumb fuck get off my board

Java and Go because I work at a tech megacorp and Java is the most used language and go is a good choice for simple infra tooling that doesn't need many dependencies. I'm in systems/devops work, but the performance needs are too great for interpreted languages for anything other than minor tooling.

I've seen Go requirements and I can understand Java, but why no Python? Can Go fully replace it? Did you have any experience with Lua, especially with Nginx?

if this is true, why are you on Jow Forums

"natwork adminidator"

Most teams here use other interpreted languages than python. If you are just trying to pick a lang, python is probably better if you are just gonna roll the dice and want the best opportunity to land something.

And I have little to no interaction with lua, probably awesomewm was my peak. Nginx is a good tool for the toolbox, and is used extensively here.

Of course not, don't be foolish.

Here's how to prepare though:
Read the book deep work
Work through K&R's The C Programming Language
Take Khan Academy courses on calc

I'd also recommend dedicating yourself to one 'main' editor that isn't going anywhere. I usually recommend newbs to learn vim by running vimtutor and then reading Practical Vim. After that I would say try spacemacs to get a feel for what a polished emacs setup feels like. Spacemacs comes with 'evil mode' which means your vim know-how will be rewarded. If you decide Spacemacs is too bloated for you or goes in the wrong direction then you can try doommacs or roll your own emacs+evil config.

If you do all of the above a CS degree will be incredible easy, and you'll get far more out of it. If you aren't willing to read 2 textbooks and go through 1 online course, then signing up for a degree program with 5+ compulsory textbooks per semester is dubious. Deep work covers how to approach the kind of knowledge you'll be absorbing. Look at your editor like it's the tools of the trade. A woodworker cares about the state of his chisels and his ability with his chisels, so it follows that a computer programmer should be able to navigate and edit source code at a similarly high level.

You'll probably ignore all this, but if you dedicate yourself to the initial tasks, they can easily be completed in a month or two and you'll be far better off. All books can be found on libgen.io

OK, thank you, I'll keep that in mind.

>hey here's my experience for the job
>no I don't have a degree, I've read this book

Not OP, but thanks for the ideas user. I will follow them through, because like OP, I was questioning if I should go for a degree due to my age(25). Again, thank you.

There are research departments in many big corporations. And they of course pay better than a university.