Anti Discord Thread

I have now been invisible on Discord for two days not responding to anyone and it has been amazing. I have felt more relaxed these past two days not worrying about other people. I finally got tired of the autistic screeching and stupid server drama on that damnable program, that I just went invisible and haven't responded to any messages. I'm getting shit on by other people for being offline. Some of them can't stand me being offline that they make snarky comments to goad me into replying buy I've stood firm in not replying. Slowly but surely I'm weening myself off it. I hope to get to the point of deleting it completely from my systems. I am not there yet because of relationships I've made but I will eventually. Going to try and push no responses and minimal lurking to a week. Have you been able to get away from discord and other messaging apps Jow Forums?

Attached: images(64).jpg (300x168, 9K)

And yet instead of going outside you post here.

One step in the right direction

if you want to blog that bad just make a tumblr

I just don't sign in. Easy.

im addicted to Jow Forums. unironically 10-11 hours a day and 1 hour a day of programming. the rest is spent eating, going to toilet, showering. and thats it.

One battle at a time, user.

Attached: hereforever.png (600x439, 258K)

How old are you?

>get away from discord
Never installed it, never used it. The sound if it reminded me of other things there's good reason to resist (facebook, twitter, etc).

>not worrying about other people
yet you're online (as in connected to it) and monitoring what people write. that's the wrong approach. You need to tell everyone there you are done with it and make it clear that there will be no more Discord communications and then you need to uninstall the program for good. Do that and proceed to the next level as described by this user,
>going outside

I am asocial and have an anxiety disorder. I also have a guilt complex where if I don't reply I feel I've hurt the person I'm talking to along with the addictive nature of the app. I am doing my best to overcome that guilt and get off the program for good. I have also stopped playing multiplayer games because online people are terrible.

The issues with discord are not to do with whether it's a good messaging system or what have you, but rather they are twofold. First, it is proprietary, which means that it can easily (and pretty much assuredly does) phone home. From what I've heard, the desktop app is particularly insidious on this front. Second, it is entirely 100% centralized. When people say they have a discord server, they are technically lying. They don't have anything. The room is being hosted all on Discord's servers, and there is no way to self-host your own discord. Reject Discord in favor of standardized protocols such as the venerable IRC, the comfy IM option XMPP+OMEMO, or the new and feature-filled Matrix, with the main implementation of that being Riot.

You talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded.

feels

Max autism

I am 33. I am aware I'm probably too old for things like vidya and apps, but I have mental health problems and people for whatever reason grow attached to me. I go too far and let them emotionally abuse me doing whatever they want to the detriment of my own mental health. My therapist is helping me work through getting away from it. He's told me to cut them off completely but I would feel awful doing that. This is very hard for someone like me.

No, max redpilled

what is the point of blaming the program? You would use skype or whatsapp or text msg or irc. Its the same sht at the end of the day. Discord is a great way to make $ off mmo players by selling them botted gold on the black market discord servers for example. Blame yourself, not the medium. Clean up your servers and only keep friends you care about. These group chats with no productive end goal are a waste of time, 1 on 1 DMs are more deep.

Attached: 1541351274458.png (644x800, 6K)

Go play vrchat if you want to help that. Don't worry you don't need vr, most people people there don't use it anyway.

lend me some money bro or I'm out on my ass man
parents are kicking me out
boss is breathing down my neck
my girl just left me
my dog just left me with my girl
I'm broke as shit and about to live in the back of a corolla wagon
help me

>blaming the program
that's the particular program OP is addicted to.

>Discord is a great way to make $
If it's a tool to make $$$ then by all means, do it. Profit's profit. That's clearly not what Op is doing.

>Clean up your servers
Servers doesn't mean what you think it means. I have some servers running a LAMP stack with some moderately visited websites (like 10k unique a day). All of Discord's services run on their servers. You don't have discord servers, I don't (I don't use it either), nobody but them do.

See this user's post for further details about yours,

sigh...I don't have any money but I would help you with the living situation if we lived close to each other. idk why people do this to me. you're probably trying to make a point, but I read your post over and over for a few minutes and it nagged at me so much I had to reply and help. It seems I have a long way to go.

I just took my meds and I'm slowly starting to feel better. I eventually need to work on getting off this goddamn site as well. Maybe the new server split will finally allow me to leave for good.

i've asked a similar question, mainly because discord isn't FOSS. Just use irc to speak to people you really need to talk to

I left all the server i was part of besides a personal one, and only ever talk with one person through DMs.
Discord servers are a waste of time, and the people on them tend to be incredible annoying.

yes, yes you do
glad I could help you realize this before you got all cocky n shiiet

>I left all the server i was part
why do discord people call chat rooms "servers"? it's just chatrooms on their mainframe.

at least you're still showering

thanks. I honestly needed that. I need to learn to say no and get better at realizing when someone is using me.

>le epic gaymen chat with ebin maymays
Uninstall that garbage.

I mean, using discord for communicating with anyone besides close friends is a terrible idea. Big servers are the most toxic things, filled with retarded 14 year olds begging for attention. Any kind of community on discord is bound to be a cesspool that puts even twitch chat to shame.

I just started using it and I like the communities honestly

Is there any FLOSS client that can take discord messages? Discord is the only way I keep in touch with my two friends, but I spend most of my time in Linux so I keep firefox open with discord for now. FF however fails to notify through sound and notifications when I receive a message, so it's not that great. Do jails/sandboxing help keep the botnet away?

See, I have a thing called real life family and friends that I communicate with, so these apps are useful in that sense.

For autistic morons like you who only have internet friends, I can see why getting away from them would be nice since you still have much bigger problems in life to deal with, like being a huge loser.

OMFG YOU HUGE FUCKING FAGGOT. WHAT IS DISCORD DRAMA?! THATS ON YOU NOT ON DISCORD YOURE A DRAMATIC FAGGOT I HATE THIS POST

Actually they are technically guilds, but everyone says servers as they are a collection of text and voice channels with a custom permission system, roles and user hierarchy (all optional)

Group chats are separate, and only have one owner.

Meant to reply to

>What is XMPP?
Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) is a communication protocol for message-oriented middleware.
Unlike most instant messaging protocols, XMPP is defined in an open standard and uses an open systems approach of development and application, by which anyone may implement an XMPP service and interoperate with other organizations' implementations. Because XMPP is an open protocol, implementations can be developed using any software license and many server, client, and library implementations are distributed as free and open-source software.

>What client should I use?
Get Conversations if you are on Android, Gajim or Pidgin on desktop PC.

>How do I join this Jow Forums groupchat?
Here is the link: xmpp:[email protected]?join

Attached: xmpp.png (220x226, 14K)

Where do you even find servers? I can't find anything interesting...

Posting this on Jow Forums will give you tripple the message AIDS than on discord. Why u do dis

Genius marketing to ts3/mumble/vent users

>Do jails/sandboxing help keep the botnet away?
Yes, I heard "firejail --net=none" works wonders.