Ps2 revolutionized the gaming market, and is a fucking masterpiece(for consoles). Change my mind

Ps2 revolutionized the gaming market, and is a fucking masterpiece(for consoles). Change my mind.

Attached: D5D327A7-7953-4719-ABC4-707756C237D4.jpg (320x427, 29K)

i literally can't

wasnt really a masterpiece or amazing by any stretch

it was just good, very little faults

as a friend once said, the worst enemy of perfect is "good enough"

I'd rather have a $299 good enough than $599 perfect.

When it came out it certainly was

my ps2 fucking broke after 1 year and it was the only console i even wanted to play on
my xbox and gamecube still work to this day

Ps2 was a computer made by IBM in the early to mid 1990s.

close, its a hole to plug mice and keyboards

The only good thing about the PS2 is its library of exclusives and backwards compatibility.

The GameCube had better hardware and much faster load times, but one of the worst libraries ever.

Best thing out there for it’s time, it had FEW high quality games that were insanely impressive for back then and maybe today. It could be used as a cheap DVD player and the ps2 also had a kit out there at the time by Sony that can convert it to a pc. Pretty much a fucking masterpiece to me.

I updated FreeMCBoot and all my homebrew. I love how much functionality's been added to the console. You can use DS3 controllers over USB or Bluetooth, add shit to the system menu (I just added shutdown and reboot options along with an HDD SMART utility today), use the HDD for virtual memory cards for any game, save states, exit games back to the system firmware, play any game off the HDD/flash drive/SMB share, etc. and it'll never cease to blow my mind

I mean, games selection aside, the graphics weren't much better than the dreamcast

And during its generation it was beaten by the gamecube (a smaller console that wasnt even trying to compete because >muh exclusives) and was absolutely destroyed by the original xbox (which was able to play half-life2, doom3, and morrowind - games that would have never run on the PS2 even if gimped)

So what's your point?

But has a point.

Not to mention that this is all accomplished thanks to a memory card that softmods virtually any PS2 it's plugged into (sans the new slims with the redesign but iirc there's a FreeMCB exploit for those now too)

i have a ps2 fat without a working dvd drive
how would a retard with no knowledge of modding go about making this thing usable Jow Forums

>better hardware
>no dvd player meaning games looked shit from the low res textures game devs had to use to cram a game onto the retarded tiny discs

Send your memory card into a FreeMCBoot volunteer, he'll throw the mod on your card and send it back for the cost of shipping. Then you can play games off a flash drive with USB 1.1 load speeds. If you can follow a simple guide you can set up an SMB share

>>no dvd player
Those retarded tiny discs were DVDs

You're thinking of PS/2

... Or as I've recently taken to calling it; PS + 2

Ps-2

My ex's whole family insisted you needed to choose between using your PS2 for games and as a DVD player or the console would commit sudoku. I got yelled at when I popped a DVD in the PS2 instead of running to the 2nd floor to grab the DVD player

I thought that thing was hard to develop games on and was just the most popular platform at the time.

Average hardware specs, shitty build quality. Most games were arbitrary filler shovelware. They also lied about the specs (as they did with the PS3/PS4) to get more pre-orders.

>FEW high quality games that were insanely impressive
which are?

ethernet

it doesnt have ethernet
i think i will do the memory card/hdd thing

The network adapter that gives you Ethernet is also how you'd get HDD support

I burned mine.

You're thinking of Dreamcast.
The only "revolution" PS2 introduced was "well it would be cool to be in a (((lobby group))) pushing for next disc storage format and then make a console as cheapest player"

not N64 not caring.
discs were a mistake

do you mean you need the adapter or the port the adapter plugs into is the IDE/pata or whatever?

Third party games were trash on N64. That system is where shovelware went to die.

The adapter itself

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1170x655, 92K)

damn guess im stuck with usb 1.1

PS2 had an abysmal failure rate, practically nonexistent progressive scan support, no built in network functionality for years, used the least efficient texture compression method of any console of that generation, and had such an arcane hardware design that most ports of games, even old ones that it should have been able to run correctly, had issues.

It definitely had good games, but anything good you can say about the console is in spite of its horrendous hardware. The Dreamcast came out two years prior and had almost complete library support for progressive scan, a built in modem in most territories, and it had significantly better looking textures and AA than the PS2.

Mine still works just fine and I've never even dusted it out.
Fat ps2 > slim gay shit

How much does one of these cost? Might buy a PS2 eventually, had one but I sold it years ago.

ps3 was not perfect though.

PC.

I got mine for ~$10 on Amazon a few years ago. If you're just planning on using SMB you could get a slim, no HDD support but built in NIC. I stick with a fat so I can keep my most played games on my HDD and can take my PS2 places and still have games

Why would I change your mind when you're speaking the truth, brother.
This. I visited my parents few months ago and played through Killer 7 without any problems on my day ps2 even tho it's been sitting for years.

You can get a network adapter for like 10 bucks or less if you look hard. I just bought a fat with network adapter + s-video cable for use with free mcboot and a CRT

San andreas
.hack
Ffx

Thats it

it just had a ton of exclusives but was pretty meh.

>no not pursuit 2
garbage list

>San andreas
you mean gta?

> .hack
give youtube link

xbox had better specs

The ps2 was far, far more powerful than the DC, and Sega had a burned userbase after the whole 32x/Saturn thing, and the PlayStation, while still pretty new, proved to be extremely competitive, people were looking forward to a new PlayStation than they were a new Sega console
Being able to play DVDs was just an icing on the cake, though I won't deny that it convinced some parents to shell out for it, since they will get some use from the system as well

No shit, its also over 2 years newer, during a time of rapid growth in power for GPUs, the Xbox wasn't possible in 1999

Didn't revolutionize anything, but it was the last generation of consoles before internet multiplayer took priority over interesting gameplay.

The PS2 just did a good job. the thing was xbox and game cube were also good.

But PSX was fucking amazing. Mostly because of the games. the only reason why PS2 had the edge was because of the fact it played PSX and DVDs.

I liked the PS2, but I loved the original playstation.

If it wasn't for the ps2 VHS tapes would have survived 3 more years so blessed tech

Is there any way to softmod the slim models?
I live in the middle of nowhere, and I can't get FreeMcBoot cards.

PSX is and was shit, and the games have aged terribly.

Yes, just do it the old-fashioned way with a copy 007 Agent Under Fire, DVD burner, and a way to trick the PS2 into thinking the disc tray is closed.

>2018
>people still calling the PS1 the PSX despite an actual fucking version of the PS2 coming out called the PSX
What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Its bait

We're still 6 generations away from PSX. That is if Sony is able to count consistently in the coming decades.

Attached: D2UskSE.png (457x715, 279K)

I can't change your mind, and it didn't revolutionize much in gaming.

What made it so successful was that it was also a DVD player, back when they were still crazy expensive.

That got it in many homes, then the devs followed. DVD is the only reason it beat the Dreamcast

It literally didn't. It was an iterative console and the most revolutionary feature it had was the ability to play dvds.

That's what's killing gaming nowadays anyways, 90% of the shovelware sony shits out is all movies with dvd remote interactions masquerading as video games.

>copy 007 Agent Under Fire
What if I told I can't get my hand on this as well?
>a way to trick the PS2 into thinking the disc tray is closed
How do I do that?
All the "swap" techniques work for fat models.

Still looked better than ps2 games. This is not an argument, it's a fact.

>backwards compatibility
What backwards compatibility?
Mine couldn't play PS1 games.

The saddest thing is
>They also lied about the specs (as they did with the PS3/PS4) to get more pre-orders.
That's worked every time and people still willingly give them money.

This is undoubtedly correct. N64 was the biggest paradigm shift in video game history. the jump to 32bit and snes level consoles pales in comparison to the jump from 2D to 3D capable consoles. Yes, the original Star Fox was 3D on SNES hardware and that's revolutionary too, but as a console, the N64 essentially created most of the modern genres of video games we know today.

depends...
iirc, the Dreamcast did many things before the PS2 did it, and what I heard, the online-functions of the og XBox were way more advanced than the ones of the PS2

best system ever made, faggot.

The n64 was shit, enjoy your;
- expensive carts, due to costing more to make
- stripped down games, due to larger carts costing more, devs were encouraged to make smaller games
- nonsensical focus on image quality over performance. Who cares about trilinear filtering and hardware AA when the games chug along at 20fps?
- shitty sound chip, no doubt a result of them falling out with Sony, who was intended to provide the sound chip
- combination of 4k texture cache, trilinear filtering, and small cart space meant textures were made to be very low resolution

Minidisks were capable of holding more information than a DVD. Memory availability was not an issue with the Gamecube.

Minidisks were fucking stupid, though. If the GameCube could play DVDs like the PS2 more people may have bought it just for that reason alone. But Nintendo cares more about being unique than being popular or useful or good.

Sony would later make the same fucking mistake with UMDs for their first PSP. People don't want to buy locked formats that only work on one device.
Mine had backwards compatibility. I know I played FF9 on my PS2.

PS2 was also a cheap DVD-player