Can you run Linux on the playstation 3?

What's it like?

Attached: 41X+xrjmy6L._SX466_.jpg (466x314, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

glennklockwood.com/benchmarks/index.html
eurogamer.net/videos/half-life-episode-2-portal-360-ps3-performance
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yes, and you can make a cluster of them using the cell cpu.

Yeah but can I use them as a normal desktop?

How much can you do with 256mb of ram

Can you run linux on PS4?

No but you can emulate ps3 games perfectly on it.

Ah shit forgot about that. Can't I replace the RAM blocks or are they firmware-signed?

You can run some outdated versions of Fedora like I did, I'm gonna try to build LFS for a more up to date experience

No, but this Yes, and use emulators on it.

Slow as fucc.

a raspberry pi has higher specs than this piece of shit

That's not how that works

explain

There's more to processors than clock rate. While the Rpi has twice the threads (4c/4t vs 1c/2t) and 4x the RAM, the Cell would crush it.

the tiny arm processor don't stand a chance to the cell, can you play GTA IV in your raspberry pi with only 256mb shared v/ram?

the pi is a really awful overrated piece of shit computer designed to look good on paper while in reality having a pathetic architecture that still gets curbstomped by fucking pentium 4s and athlon xps, and some even older shit in various cases

a properly programmed cell would blow even a new multi-core pi the fuck out with ease

someone was working on getting proper xorg gpu accelerated driver on the ps3
no clue what happened to it

ubuntu 9.10 on ps3 was my first linux experience. Had to use some ps3ubuntu webpage to get anything working. It was hell. Took ages to boot and could barely run a browser. Getting a youtube video to play was a monumental task using some grease monkey script and mplayer. I couldn't even get the controller working with snes9x even though it had native support for it. Needless to say I didn't touch linux for a very long time after that.

The fat PS3 is one of the most underrated consoles of all time because most devs couldn't figure out how to use the Cell properly.

implying anyone knows how to code with the cell

glennklockwood.com/benchmarks/index.html
>Pi3 with optimized code still gets beaten by unoptimized code running on shit that's old enough to vote

Attached: 1542388728211.jpg (366x366, 16K)

I wish cell took off. The thought of other devices boosting performance is pretty cool

Red Ribbon Linux is Debian Jessie

It's slowish on the net and can barely play videos.

But everything that should work works fine.

I have Octoprint, Repetier-host and OpenPLC running on mine. It was pretty much pointless doing this because of it's power consumption, but whatever.

I got it to run Windows XP in qemu as well, takes 13 minutes to load. But it runs 95,98,2000 fine.

I think it's a nice machine given the time it's from. I mean my 2003 Pentium 4 Tower is 2.66ghz 256mb ram. This 2006 PS3 is 3.2ghz 256mb ram - you can see why the OtherOS shit was feasible at the time.

>The thought of other devices boosting performance is pretty cool
You might not be totally disappointed then, shitloads of co-processors and accelerators are practically what make modern computing possible. Though maybe they're a little less open-ended than SPUs.

No and they've just patched the PS3 to stop CFW exploit.

This is technically incorrect. Developers did figure out how to leverage the Cell CPU. It was mostly used to boost the poor performance of the RSX GPU.

The problem with Cell is that it's poorly suited to conventional game engines so they just used it to enhance graphics.

Lol i know, the point was the arbitrary expandability it proposed. Think your google home ,tablet, phone could all speed up your console, or verse vica

>they've just
Lol it was patched nearly a decade ago wasnt it. All ps3s before 3xxx can be hacked anyway

install gentoo

>The problem with Cell is that it's poorly suited to conventional game engines so they just used it to enhance graphics.

It's literally a game console. That was the point. You're probably a nerd and loved getting high and watching folding@home like me but come on that's not why Sony made it

Hes talkinf about the cpu, not the console itself you retard ibm made cell, the plan was for it to work with other shit but the things cell was good at wasnt video games, not to mention the piss weak gpu. X86 was clearly a better choice which is why the ps4 and bone use amd processors instead.

>x86
>not ARM

Don't try to talk down to me. The PS3 was actually going to use two Cell processors. One acting as GPU alongside the traditional CPU. Let us reminiscence about what could have been instead of getting stuck on bullshit

who gives a fuck about power consumption in a gaming console

Your mom.

Sony used the Cell CPU because they were part of the STI alliance. IBM made the CPU. The CPU wasn't specifically designed for consoles. They included it to push the architecture much like they included Blu-ray to push that format. That was the point. Blu-ray was a success however Cell was not. The performance was horrible for games.

Why use Cell then? Why not use a decently powerful PPC instead?

not him, but can you imagine a worse piece of hardware? The ps3 was garbage at the time it came out with a stupid cpu that made everything harder to do and a weak gpu. Imagine 2 stupid and difficult to use cpus, it might have bankrupted sony.

Sure arm (risc v) is a better process however its nowhere near mature enough and the dev community is stronger on b

I know, and that still wouldnt have been good for graphics compared to a discreet gpu. Even once it was moved onto 45nm it was still inefficient. The power draw would have been stupidly high and theres no way you could have an efficient cooling solution while retaining some form factor

Yet it still had great, graphics pushing games, you two are out of touch with the reality of what happened at the time. Yes, developers hated it, but still got a lot out of it.

Literally none of this matters to 99.9% of people who used the PS3. Hell, the PS4 in most of its iteration has worse cooling so is louder and warms up a room more and most people don't care. Consoles are not designed to autistic standards.

eurogamer.net/videos/half-life-episode-2-portal-360-ps3-performance
That'll be a yikes from me.
I know what you're talking about, uncharted and tlou do look very pretty, but they're at a similar "Cinematic 20fps" and the console just could not run games very well.
It was a poorly made console from a company with a history of promising the sky and delivering the floor.

>ported games run poorly
Wow great take

>ARM not in embedded
Why

>Literally none of this matters to 99.9% of people who used the PS3.
Whats your point? By that logic you should tell the op that running linux doesnt matter. Also the. Ps3 fat and ps4 launch model had the exact same tdp, that argument can only be made if your talking about the ps4 pro.

To showcase Cell and push the architecture. Microsoft simply used a multicore PPC chip as you suggested and it worked much better.

Sure it had good games. Doesn't change the fact that they chose a shitty CPU and GPU. It took a lot of work to get stuff running smoothly and some games ran like shit.

I'm struggling to find anything here that is relevant. Not trying to dismiss your post but initially I was responding to the guy complaining about the GPU

I tried it back in 2007, it was always shit due to lack of hardware acceleration and still is.
I could be wrong but I believe the reason for that is sony ran otherOS through a hypervisor on the firmware, leading to dogshit performance.

The CELL CPU was a very interesting architecture for its time but ultimately tried to do too much too soon in a world where most devs still had no idea how to multi-thread properly on x86 let alone an asymmetrically threaded PPC platform.

With CFW, it makes for a good living room console these days though, bar the power consumption.
I have the OG PS2 compatible one, I delidded it to avoid YLOD and upped the fan profile. It plays all my pirated PS1/2/3 game natively and with retroarch it plays almost everything that came before it. I think it holds up well overall.

>With CFW, it makes for a good living room console these days though, bar the power consumption.
Just get a ps4 lmao. I wish we had more custom software for it

Doesn't support retroarch bruh. I live in a shared house with a few m8's and leave it in the living room to use. Has to be normie compatible.
Not to mention lack of native PS2 support.

Jo

>because most devs couldn't figure out how to use the Cell properly
True to a certain extent, BUT that was not a sign that it had hidden untapped potential like everyone thought, but more that it was a piece of shit needlessly over-complicated CPU meant for the medicinal industry and not a games console. Though over time devs DID manage to push everything out of the CPU, but not that it mattered much in the end anyway. Most of the SPU's were used to make up for the power the GPU was lacking.

Slow.
Keep in mind that you only have a single core with "SMT" (doesn't do out of order execution meaning that it can't actually do two threads simultaneously).
And the 256MB of memory doesn't help much.
GPU acceleration is shit/non-existent/broken, there's a guy working on it and is porting over the old kernel 2.6~3.4 patches to work on modern kernels, so hope is not entirely lost on that.

Attached: 1487254473255.jpg (400x425, 84K)

Cell was supposed to fill the gap between CPU and GPU, however those 2 parts simply grew in sophistication and that gap has been filled. Cell really doesn't have a reason to exist.

No it doesn't

>What's it like?
Like any PC with 256MB RAM

What year is this?

Slow, power hungry, high temperatures, loud fans. About what you expect from a machine based on 2005 hardware.

got my otherOS ligitation check from them just the other day.

There's nowhere to attach any more, and it's RAMBUS, so good luck finding chips even if you could.

Did anybody ever get control of the RSX?

Nope
As someone that had. Ps3 and 7900gt (almost identical to the 78gt in the ps3s rsx except that had a 128bit wide memory bus and the regular 78/79gt had 256)

Shame not much has been done on ps3s lately they where pretty interesting at the time but quickly faded into whogivesashit
Why the fuck did they use such shit non unified rambus + slow ass vram?
It's like getting what is the equivalent of a threadripper 3 and using 8gb ddr5 memory at 3200

you can use it as a desktop, which i did once try out, but it will be slower than a decent pentium 4, have 256 mb of ram, optimized software, and no 3d graphics api that works with the ps3 gpu. neptunia is a better use of it.

cell was generally not well designed. it may have been a decent idea, but not well implemented, and once it was released GPGPU took off to do everything it did way better.

yeah and the vita was going to run with no cpu at all, the whole os would run on gpgpu. except that's fucking retarded and so are you for believing the rumor mill.

still beats a P4
Netburst a shit