He browses Jow Forums

>he browses Jow Forums
>yet he doesn't use gentoo

It's not even hard. Why don't you use it? Don't tell me you use Ubuntu or even Arch. Gentoo is the only way to go.

Attached: Screenshot_20181106_133023[1].png (1006x566, 388K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/rliang/kwin-dynamic-virtual-desktops
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I use ubuntu. It's comfy and I never have any problems. Why would I move to gentoo?

Update your display, fag.
In fact, upgrade your whole system, fag. Jesus.

I use Ubuntu and i3, so it's basically the same experience but I don't have to cry to get basic things done

Because gentoo just works and is optimized for my hardware.

I’ve never had to cry to do anything, what do you mean?

How do I install it? I tried to install it on that Linux Deploy app on my phone but it wouldn’t work. Is there a YouTube video?

>use gentoo
>tries to make it look like KDE neon
Know how I can tell you're a poor fag?

KDE neon doesn’t cost money afaik.

I'm a corelet and Arch allows me to be still comfy.
>inb4 buy a new machine/dedicated binhost
nah

>he uses gentoo
>yet he still uses systemd

at least do it right before bitching on Jow Forums

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 15.25.52.png (1366x768, 243K)

But the machine can't run it
Be quite before I smack you little dick

>ivy bridge can't run KDE Neon

you retarded user?

I'm an adult and do not have time to use Gentoo as my main OS.

wagie get in cagie

This.

>he can't even set up his own computer because he slaves his time away to a wage

kek

How do you fix this shit?
WARNING: One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:

sys-libs/ncurses:0

(sys-libs/ncurses-6.1-r2:0/6::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with
>=sys-libs/ncurses-5.2:0/6=[abi_x86_32(-),abi_x86_64(-)] required by (app-emulation/wine-staging-3.20:3.20/3.20::gentoo, installed)

>=sys-libs/ncurses-5.2:0=[abi_x86_32(-),abi_x86_64(-)] required by (app-emulation/wine-staging-3.20:3.20/3.20::gentoo, installed)

>=sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r3:0=[abi_x86_32(-),abi_x86_64(-)] required by (sys-devel/llvm-6.0.1:6/6::gentoo, installed)

>=sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r3:0/6=[abi_x86_32(-),abi_x86_64(-)] required by (sys-devel/llvm-6.0.1:6/6::gentoo, installed)

Debian or bust

>implying I'm not

Attached: Screenshot_20181119_215639.png (1450x763, 1.06M)

dude I fell for the gentoo meme yet I don't have any Idea if I configured my kernel correctly. I really would love to make my Celeron 420 machine give it some juice before it dies. yet FUCKING javascript based websites fuck it in the ass constantly.

Attached: 1440984589882.png (431x551, 95K)

Sent from my Windows 10 machine.

Install Arch

The Macbook Pro with Retina display does not have this problem.

>he sits around waiting for his OS to compile from source because he's been indoctrinated by memes

Attached: screenshotarch.png (1366x768, 589K)

--backtrack=n
Start at n=50, then keep on increasing it until no more dependency conflicts remain.

why the hell did you install systemd? I don't really have a problem with people using it but using it on gentoo is pretty strange

Attached: 2018-11-19-171749_1440x900_scrot.png (1440x900, 1.17M)

>he hides his name

fag

>Gentoo
>W530
so you are a poorfag hikkiNEET bound forever inside your childhood bedroom?

Why would I put my name on an anonymous imageboard, why don't you post your own?

Wow, archtards are really something
I would because I use gnome, but maybe I would just ditch gnome if I could get a way to keybind it the same way. I like to move my windows up or down on virtual desktops like on i3. That's the only thing keeping me on gnome, thus keeping me to systemd. I'd like to use Gentoo I will try to install it on a virtual machine later

Attached: IMG-20181119-WA0009.jpg (1280x720, 123K)

>Chrome
>Discord
>Screenshot for ants
I don't care about systemd, still open source even with all the retardedness of the project. But this is really cringe

Attached: IMG-20181119-WA0008.jpg (1280x720, 317K)

I did, in the OP. Can you not read?

>that font

My man

Thanks for the new reaction image, user

this is finally something other than pure salt I was able to get from this thread, while still managing to be pure salt.

Attached: ants.jpg (1000x150, 13K)

>Why don't you use it?
Old as shit packages.
Lua is so ancient, I can't run Vis properly.

Also, can't use Runit fully.

>not using devuan

not him but everything he said is valid

I was just testing kde, I don't like the virtual desktops more than on gnome though
thanks senpai

>he owns an anus.
>yet he doesn't use dragon dildos

It's not even hard. Why don't you use them? Don't tell me you don't even shove things out your ass?
Dragon dildos is the way to go.

I personally use a curved prostate vibrator, no need for dragon dildos. I like my anus to be comfortable an efficient in making the cummies and not be abused.

yeah, right. WHY did you go out your way to install gentoo AND specify you need systemd on your installation process? why aren't you using arch instead? I thought the main reason was to escape poettering faggotry

gentoo to hard to install, i would use it if wasnt a fucking pain to get it up running.

it's pretty straight forward after the install and doing it again is easy after the first time

>package manager in python
Dropped

fellas, I'm installing gentoo on a virtualbox before going baremetal from my debian machine. Should I go KDE? I really like gnome keybinds but it needs systemd apparently, although systemd boots faster so I don't care about using it or not. Is there a way to use KDE with dynamic workspaces? As far a I've seen there is only a number of workspaces you can have and you have to use your mouse to move a windows to another workspace, so I guess I rather stick to gnome and i3, help

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-11-19 17-18-17.png (1600x900, 222K)

kde is much easier to deal with on gentoo since you don't need systemd or use a layer. you can use khotkeys. kde is a more traditional desktop so having dynamic workspaces doesn't fit well in my opinion but it's still possible though I never tried it.
github.com/rliang/kwin-dynamic-virtual-desktops
if you really want gnome then go for it, it's your system though everytime I installed gnome without systemd I literally couldn't figure out how to get rid ot it

I'd like to hear how you clean up redundant/unused USE flags.

literally get rid of them in package.use or make.conf if you want it gone system wide

Attached: scrotnew.png (1024x768, 1.03M)

do you have alzheimerz?

Do I have what

What about the global profile? And I mean do it efficiently.

KDE and gnome are shit, just use i3. You don't want to waste all that time installing it in a VM, just do it right a way and keep live usb for if something goes wrong and you need to boot into a GUI.

shut the fuck up NPC

I meant go into your make.conf if you don't want any packages using a certain flag for example, -systemd. also I have no idea what you mean by efficiently. editing a text file is easy enough. are you trying to say using a text editor is too hard and you rather use a gui?

ubuntu works, gentoo is a meme, OP is a fag

Ubuntu isn't a rolling distro, so it sucks for normal users by default

Do you understand the concept of a program that automates comparing the global profile, make.conf, and package.use all at the same time and then seeing if there are orphan flags?

I understand how to use a text editor but Gentoo honestly makes shit overly complicated.

>rolling distro
rolls eyes

npc detected

>But the machine can't run it

Attached: 1541362416495.jpg (320x240, 22K)

The system knows which flags were forced by other packages, and will rebuild packages
The only thing it will not do it remove ones you manually set in make.conf or package.use
Keep on reinstalling every 6 months, if your config isn't the default one only a handful things will break each time

>He compiles all his software every time he needs to update.
No, thank you. I use debian. It's so comfy and has everything I'd ever need, literally.

>WHY
Because I knew it would trigger Jow Forumsentoo fags :^)

>DE bad
>window manager good

Attached: 1542563314168.jpg (295x418, 66K)

>discord
>linoox

>His software only has the features the distro makers thought it should have
>His software contains useless dependency bloat

>It's not even hard. Why don't you use it?
I tried it and realized I don't want to waste my cpu cycles on compiling software even if emerge does it for you. I use Arch btw, where I don't have to download devtools for every little thing I want to compile.

>want to compile
want to install*

Gentoo generally lacks Gnome maintainers. Dantrell, however, maintains a very good overlay that allows you to easily install Gnome without systemd

this guy knows how to Jow Forums

also, OP is a fag

>he builds from source
>yet he doesn't use slackware

It's not even hard. Why don't you use it? Don't tell me you use Gentoo or even Crux. Slackware is the only way to go.

Here is something just for you bloat guys.

Attached: 2018-11-18-221423_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 31K)

>crux
fuck. what happened to crux user. I miss him. he never even posted his desktop!

>I use Arch btw, where I don't have to download devtools for every little thing I want to compile.
aka the package maintainers are so lazy they don't split the useless bloat from the package

What are most of those packages anyway?

I use Gentoo/Arch on my x86 machines as well as Gentoo/GuixSD/NixOS on ARM SBCs.

The ultimate dream is to run GNU/Hurd GuixSD on everything.

this, fucking arch retard. Even ubuntu is less bloat lmao

I love Fixed 10x20, it's such a shame there is no bold variant, otherwise it's the perfect terminal font.

>implying it's not a feature

Imagine buying a house.
The Arch house would always come with extra material that would be enough to build at least 5 other houses, and you would have to pay for it as well.

>muh bloat
Who the fuck cares? It's like a few extra mb at most. HDD space is cheap.

>bloat doesn't matter
>package count does

Everything that I have ever used I pulled in its alternative solutions, All the documentation, all the recommended packages. I got 1TB of main ssd storage, a snappy system that doesn't feel cumbersome whatever I put on the disk, so why not. For most situations I face day to day I type man -k 'keywords pertaining to my problem' | grep '(1)' and often times I'd have an idea pop just by seeing the tools I have at my disposal.
15000+ packages pisses minimal fags off so that is a bonus point :^)

Where did I say package count matters?

>so why not.
Because detain enables lots of installed services by default

*debian

then why the fuck do you use arch if bloat doesn't matter? just use debian unstable or ubuntu or fedora, anything. fucking retard

Because pacman is better than aptitude and it's way more convenient not having to install dev packages all the time.

I am meticulous about that particular point. Nothing runs that I didn't explicitly allowed. Good point user.

Imagine buying a house known for providing you with extra material and then complaining about said extra material. If you don't like it then that house clearly isn't for you.

I like gentoo, but I don't care enough about the individual use flags on most software that I run to justify compiling it all. I'll just compile the ones I really care about manually.

Attached: 1542549307867.jpg (436x653, 44K)

Need Windows for game development.

I have 12gb for my root drive which I haven't been able to fill up over a year, a single dev-tool package you install to compile your shit out-weights the bloat on binary "bloat"
>inb4 you have emerge set to remove dependency tools after each time you're done compiling so you can pretend to be minimal like a fucking retard

That's a feature. Now you don't need to install additional development tools to compile since you already have most. Except you are a normalfag who just uses his laptop as a Facebook box

compiletards are really retarded, huh?

How is this an argument? There's a small handful of things I compile and I like having the development headers automatically included in the package. It's more convenient just to do a pacman -S ffmpeg and be done with it. The only "loss" is an inconsequential amount of HDD space.

I'm convinced this is a campaign to get Jow Forums off the internet by breaking their wifi

>use apt
>enjoy fast repo updates that save bandwidth
>have a choice between stable, testing, and bleeding-edge
>choose each package version by simple pinning system
>customize your system according to exact needs
>developing with bleeding-edge dev packages on rock solid system
>comfy af system config scripts installed with nearly every package save precious time

>use pacman
>wait 5 minutes for each repo update
>repo updates twice daily
>have no choice in package versions
>developing with bleeding-edge packages on an unstable system
>impoverished config scripts require awkward system configuration after every package installed

i always hear about how great pacman is but it has been the second worst package manager i've ever used. it's one small step above yum/dnf, which is king of shit mountain when it comes to package managers.

>wait 5 minutes for each repo update
No not even close.

>repo updates twice daily
Depends on the package

>have no choice in package versions
You can downgrade via cache or some other tools if you need to.

>developing with bleeding-edge packages on an unstable system
This is just a meme. Arch ships latest stable upstream software. There's nothing unstable about it. Using the latest, bleeding-edge stuff is way better for development than using a dinosaur distro like Debian stable.

>impoverished config scripts require awkward system configuration after every package installed
I have no idea what you mean by this. Some packages come with scripts to do certain things, but that's not different than any other distro.