Shell Scripting

I'm simultaneously amazed and disgusted with how much of a hack whole bash and shell scripting is. Holly shit, this is so robust, minimalistic and extremely laconic, for lack of better work. This is so fundamentally flawed, but manages to do anything if you try hard enough.

Attached: fea58e6e0e.png (679x243, 25K)

Just like life itself.

At certain point, it just becomes easier to switch to some scripting language like Python.

i have difficulties with it. dont know maybe am just to stupid . or if someone can recommend me a excellent book about it that is easy to grasp , feel free to share the title with me.

this but unironically

Google "bash tutorial", newfriend

>implying python isn't a hacky shit

>this is so robust

I don't know python. I could switch to node but npm dependencies for scripts are shit.
Well, this is the most tricky part of my script. I wrapped all of this into a function and the rest of the code looks sane, like
requestJSON "/json/api/auth/login/apitoken" "-X POST" "{ \"token\": \"$key\" }"
localUser=$requestResult

Yeah, I'm thinking about that for a while now.
What are some good scripting languages besides Python to switch to?

zsh
its time to leave the dark ages folks

stop using the pretend-operating system "designed" by commie-jew and use tools made by people who are not copycats

perl, but unironically

Go try python. It's more brainlet friendly and does more stuff.

you're an expert in bash, you stupid ass monkey, wow, thank you for your review, you 10th grade student!

use lua python or something else

Many years ago, a friend of mine and I wrote an entire chat system in C shell. I would run on any Unix box that had C shell installed. It was like IRC with multiple rooms, user logins, etc. And it was all done in a bunch of C shell scripts that called each other, saved state in text files, etc.

Just use python ffs, you clearly don't have a job that requires the use of bash.

This is actually pretty normal, even for people who are good at programming. Shell scripting for bash or sh is incredibly unintuitive, mostly due to the god awful syntax. The only redeeming feature of bash or sh scripting is the ease of getting input and output.

Nooo! Don't say that! I hereby deduct your nerd points!
btw I use Arch

No, but it's a real modern-ish language. Bash is impressive because of all it can do despite being bash.

if only it didn't take 200 entire milliseconds just to open the python interpreter

javascript with unirony