/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Previously, on /dpt/: What are you working on, Jow Forums?

Attached: _85788829_isis2[1].jpg (624x351, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitlab.com/9898287/nixwriter
mattmahoney.net/dc/dce.html
twitter.com/isisanchalee
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isis_Anchalee
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for C.

A week and a half until my RISC-V board gets shipped

Attached: 1518799450077.jpg (1024x768, 190K)

Thank you for not using an anime image.

How many of you have gotten the google programming challenges message? I got it yesterday but I closed it by accident.

gitlab.com/9898287/nixwriter

Now I need to fix gtk threading, handle some exceptions, add a logo, write readme and publish this garbage

Attached: 1536410196291.png (264x274, 30K)

find an exploit in my code. pic related

Attached: Screenshot 2018-11-16 at 17.47.21.png (1316x962, 217K)

null was a mistake

it's nothing but trash

WHERE'S YOUR REEEEEADMEEEEE

wtf i love isis now

I'll write it once it's fully published. I don't want people to actually end up using it at this point.

It's just a dd's gtk frontend

"[Computer science] is not really about computers - and it's not about computers in the same sense that physics is not really about particle accelerators, and biology is not about microscopes and Petri dishes…and geometry isn't really about using surveying instruments. Now the reason that we think computer science is about computers is pretty much the same reason that the Egyptians thought geometry was about surveying instruments: when some field is just getting started and you don't really understand it very well, it's very easy to confuse the essence of what you're doing with the tools that you use." (Hal Abelson)

It's not science either. Fuck science.

Attached: computer science.gif (320x240, 2.42M)

If my program should be purely client and involves handling local data, would HTML/JS suffices or should I make traditional GUI? Platform is PC, preferably without any needs of software requirement

Vulnerable to timing attacks
Nice try but next time maybe learn how security works

>Rust
lol

ORANGE CRAB BAD

Attached: npc1.jpg (640x382, 17K)

what does your program do?

the only thing that *may* be vulnerable is the scalar multiplication for "e_x_pub". But im using a standardised library for the curve so it should already be protected from timing attacks right?

The multiplications have already removed all optimisations etc.

This language is such a fucking mess

it's always pathetic when a leftie appropriates a right wing meme

>The rules of unsafe are not strictly defined.
>Every executable, by default, contains a copy of jemalloc

how is that a right wing meme?

unit testing is stupid
I understand it from the perspective of stopping idiots from ruining large codebases
but just write code that works and be familiar with what is and isnt undefined behavior

The left isn't right.

Nothing much at the moment. Read some .csv, calculate stuff then graph it
It’s pretty much a retardproof conversion of a xlsm

The NPC and Orange Man Bad originate from the right.

just offload it to the QA tester.

Are you the type that says ok signs are right wing racist emoji?

I've only been working in the industry for two years and I'm already jaded

Attached: 1534283338088.jpg (1024x803, 33K)

why?

don't you work in interesting projects?
you need hobbies man

I like Go!

Attached: 352325325.png (2000x2000, 127K)

Orange man bad does but npc started out apolitical.

Attached: 7867439854.png (591x571, 57K)

Because everything is controlled by the enterprise
No one seems to be working to give power to the consumer anymore
The consumer is treated like shit and then sold off to the highest bidder, and no one seems to have any problem with it

what has that got to do with anything

why not work at your own game/mobile app/website?

go the freelance route

The whole point of the meme was to claim that only certain people know the truth about the world, and everyone else is uncritically swallowing and regurgitating the media's transparent lies without a single moment of conscious thought. There is literally no other way to interpret this except as a claim that the moon landings were faked and the world is flat. Just wake up already and stop believing the disinfo from the CNN-Fox industrial complex.

orange crab bad is apolitical too though

You sound schizophrenic or something.

If you have to ask, you have no idea what you're doing.

go back to fizzbuzz.

NPC 1: > muh cultural appropriation
NPC 2: > muh meme appropriation

Attached: 1539617097722.jpg (960x596, 53K)

That's the plan, but the stability of a bi-monthy paycheck is hard to give up
I feel trapped by my bills since I don't own any real estate

Fuck off to Jow Forums all of you

the goodness or lack thereof of crustaceans of any color is inherently political

Any good lecture series on compression?

the string "AAAAA" becomes "A5" because there are 5 A's and thus reducing space

Why would you look for a lecture when what you need is an academic paper?

This. There are other algorithms you could look up.

i like blue gophers

Well it's not a lecture series, but it's all I have
mattmahoney.net/dc/dce.html

they’re fun to kill

Attached: 1541538239237.png (450x489, 74K)

Unity or Godot?

I'm a fan

Attached: gophermegaphones[1].jpg (900x384, 33K)

neither rendering is fun

not sure what your even getting at here. your saying the library im using doesnt have standardised timings for each calculation because of the way unsafe works?

I will check it out, thanks.

I'm in on this joke.

Attached: go-programming-language-turns-two_gophers.jpg (500x414, 39K)

Unity for 2d
Unreal for 3d
Source if you hate yourself

unity3d cross platform support is horrible.

Working on my game. Haven't programmed anything else for the past 7 months really. It's coming along well. Made an overhaul where I switched from GLFW and glad to SDL2 and GLEW. Other than mechanical polish, I gotta decide on some design work.

Attached: 1542263821382.jpg (453x470, 16K)

do you post on /agdg/ ?

Didn't know it existed

warning: cancer ahead

>sending an enginedev to agdg

nice
any particular reason why you switched to glew?
I just switched to glbinding from glew because it’s not as macro heavy and more type safe though it’s incompatibility with the default opengl headers did cause some issues with dependencies that include them by default

why would he
As I understand it agdg is for people too dumb to program, and they think they’re better for it

>pissing in a ocean of piss

>why would he
there are people there with games released on steam
you can get loads of ideas for your games too

I wouldn't exactly say engine dev. I plan on finishing my project

desu I only switched to GLEW because I forgot I was using glad. And I forgot I was using glad because I stupidly switched rendering from OpenGL > SDL2 > OpenGL. But GLEW works fine so far. Did have a dependency issue too though.
I use ImGui and some headers were kind of broken because they had #ifdefs for different things (GL3W, GLEW, glad), but deleting that and replacing it with #include fixed it.

Assume I am instantiating a multidimensional array that will not change, but is too large to write by hand as a const.
I write a function that generates the data.

Now the question is, do I leave this in as a 1 time construction at runtime, or do I take the results and place them in the source as a const for compile time benefits.

Should I leave the source code behind, commented near it?

What do you do in this situation where you want to embedd arbitrary binary data, sized between "tiny" (a few bytes) and "large" (more than a kilobyte)?

It's been suggested to me that I treat data+code generation tools as seperate entities entirley but bundle them with the source.
i.e.
/src/utils/whatever_array_gen.c
and keep that trend
/src/utils/whatever_parser.c
/src/main.c

Any advice or criticisms? Does this fall under meta-programming?

What ethnicity is that? That's a vibrant diversity I could get behind.

You could write a set of macros. The macros expand to a bunch of regular arithmetic expressions that fold exactly as you expect. I hear this is pretty common in embedded spheres.
Of course, you don't have to do hacks like this if you just switch to C++ and use constexpr.

>What ethnicity is that?
It's an engineer. Literally an Üntermensch.

>if you just switch to C++ and use constexpr
When reading about it prior, I was surprised to find more languages don't have a similar mechanism.
As you showed though, you can more or less implement it in some preprocessors, but with arguably worse syntax.

I need to do some research on modern languages. JAI seems promising for doing all kind of complex shit at build and compile time, using the same language for all.
For now though, it seems like C macros, some kind of `make` script building and/or calling something else, or C++ are the way to go.

>Does this fall under meta-programming?

I don't think it counts as meta-programming since you're still manually modifying your source code to make use of it, but it's the same general idea.

The real answer is to use C++ and construct the array with constexpr.

this is isis. burgers can't name anything properly

twitter.com/isisanchalee
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isis_Anchalee

Attached: 61atcz4e0KL._SX425_.jpg (425x422, 23K)

Yeah I ended up checking that, I changed my mind, no vibrant diversity for me.

>adds comments to your code all day
>sucks boss

rust is the most ugly god damn lang(uage) i've ever seen imagine looking at this alphabet soup your whole fucking day every day of every week of the year until you finally kill yourself or worse cut your dick off and transition
WHAT WERE THEY THINKING

just wait for the latest c++
they will catch it at this rate (in ugliness)

after a couple years of C++ you start to appreciate rust's syntax

>she literally dressed up as period blood for halloween

What the fuck.

Attached: top_lel.png (587x491, 196K)

>powerful blood

rust is all the worst parts of C++ syntax though

>b-but c++
jesus christ you can't just build a whole language community around an inferiority complex. you just can't!

What are some supurflous features you would entertain in a system level language?
Garbagr collection niggers need not apply

Attached: b2b9d913736c0406f414e73c8c69852ddee9c06b_hq.jpg (1024x576, 39K)

Garbage programmer collection

"helped"

Attached: take_your_time.gif (382x450, 704K)

I've never once seen anyone talk ill of menstruation itself. What is this thousand year bullshit.

She adds helpful comment lines

based and truly red-pilled

if only that were a solvable problem

it's called vg/advdg

People generally don't like the sight/proximity of blood as it's a source of many pathogens. Is she protesting hygiene?

Imagine not having to sign up for the Selective Service and being safe from getting drafted. Imagine having the justice system rigged in favor of you. Imagine having affirmative action turn down female applicants in favor of you. But you still want the victim points.

So you protest people's revulsion towards sperm.

At least that would be useful. I know plenty of people who hate adding comments of any kind. Really skeets my meats.

Imagine going through this many mental gymnastics to justify your misoginy

I've got 2 weeks worth of tags I've pounded off to in json format, what kind of needful can I ask of a dataframe to tell me about it? Going to dive in deeper but would like some basic stats about the tags I've partook in.

I've seen a few high quality programmers roll through agdg
The issue is they are typically not long lived

what would moot think of the current state of /dpt/?

Attached: 1542668471663.jpg (2488x1600, 485K)