What language to use?

Help Jow Forums, can't decide on what language to use for a REST API.
Torn between:
- Elixir (phoenix)
- Python (django)
- Node (express)
- Go
- Sorry .NET bros I'm on linux so that's not an option.
It's just for a personal project to stack my portfolio but I can't decide.

Attached: images.png (299x168, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

luminusweb.net/docs
medium.com/@yoelblum_45935/demand-for-ruby-on-rails-is-still-huge-ea4434926c57
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Go is overall the best, Node is great if you want all JS, also .NET is now open source (.NET core).

Attached: 367373467.jpg (477x477, 41K)

Om (Clojure backend / Clojurescript frontend)

.NEET Core also runs on Linux now.

Haskell

Attached: 1497531673400 (1).png (659x525, 205K)

Ruby and Rails is dying and there's like 20 people on the planet that use Elixir. Elixir is also slow as shit for anything that isn't heavily IO bound. Pick one of the options that people actually use especially if it's for a portfolio.

Flask has SQL Alchemy which might be good for you. I used Node for my own project and needed to learn SQL for it. If you already know SQL, or are planning on using Mongo, then you should use Node. If you're using Postgres or Mysql and don't know SQL, then you should use Flask

There is only one

Attached: 1542664656214.png (450x489, 74K)

>Om (Clojure backend / Clojurescript frontend)

Pick this if you like bloat and the JVM spending 25% or more of its time doing garbage collection.

>using flask instead of Django

Speed
Go > Elixir >> Node >> Python
Ecosystem
Go > Node.js > Python(Web) >> Elixir
Stable/Concurrency
Elixir > Go > Node.js >> Python

Oh
Latency
Elixir/Go > Node.js > Python

I struggle to find any major GO minus desu, its like C#, a very good overall language.

In C# you can actually develop sane statically typed abstractions. In Go you can't. That's a pretty big fucking difference.

.NET Core runs fine on Linux though

I meant in terms of "language quality"

If you want to stack your portfolio, implement it in all of them, then write a pretentious medium article about why x is the best..

Yeah I'm using mongo already know relations from front to back, is it that bad the mongo integration into other languages besides node?
Just wrote a crawler using scrapy and inserted all of the data scraped into a mongodb.
I'm already familiar with flask, used it at my job mainly to create API's for microservices was mainly looking into creating "products" to up my versatility, that's why I referenced django.
Thanks for the advice tho.

I could but I'd like to learn them all and believe all have good use cases.
I really dislike the x is trash go with y mentality.

.Net Core works on Linux, fren.
Learn C# and have a blast.

My school is Microshill to the maximum and partnered with microsoft so i will learn C# in it. I decided to pick another language(will add more later on) for back end so i just have what to add to my portfolio. Decided for GO. Is it a good decision?

of course node
>python .net
is dying shit
>go
meh
>elixir
it's breddy good but who the fuck is using it

Is there a defacto IDE for .NET, I'm aware that .NET core is open source and works on linux, but it still seems (out of my ass supposition) that development is still sub par. Also most of my peers that work on the .NET ecosystem stick to windows. You're making a good case tho .NET bros.

Saw a couple of job posts that's why was considering, also it's functional. Haven't used functional languages since lisp back in college but I really enjoyed the experience.

>My school is Microshill to the maximum and partnered with microsoft
just stick with c# then

Yeah not sure about the USA but if you live in europe they'll literally throw money at you if you're well versed in the microsoft ecosystem.

But wouldnt it be better in my free time to learn something else when i will know c# anyway?

This. Clojure is comfy to the point of bliss. REPL Driven Development is how God developed the universe. The Luminus Framework documentation is how I got into the language.
luminusweb.net/docs

Attached: eth.jpg (1920x1080, 230K)

>to use for a REST AP
I think Elixir/Phoenix is best if you want composable middleware. Phoenix uses plugs which are basically high order functions that are very composable. Elixir has special syntax for stringing together a long string of functions. Even though Elixir is a functional language it doesnt feel like one as long as you stay away from recursion. I think you might be surprised how easy Phoenix is to use as a framework compared to something like Rails. And Phoenix gives you a lot more freedom than Rails as Rails is more opinionated.

Python is brainlet friendly, just use python.

(OP)
>to use for a REST AP
I think Elixir/Phoenix is best if you want composable middleware. Phoenix uses plugs which are basically high order functions that are very composable. Elixir has special syntax for stringing together a long string of functions that are very nice to use compared to how awful promises or nested callbacks are in Node. Even though Elixir is a functional language it doesnt feel like one as long as you stay away from recursion. I think you might be surprised how easy Phoenix is to use as a framework compared to something like Rails. And Phoenix gives you a lot more freedom than Rails as Rails is more opinionated.

Node.js for the front end, RPC for computational tasks completed using a faster language such as c++/rust.

Just flip a coin already.

Flask is nice if your project only needs 2 or 3 views. Otherwise go with Django.

if you want jobs, then django or express should be a safe choice.

Choose elixir/phoenix if you want to experience something truly enjoyable.

I see this all the time, but it's not really true. It doesn't get hype because it's mature now. There is still a lot of demand for rails developers. medium.com/@yoelblum_45935/demand-for-ruby-on-rails-is-still-huge-ea4434926c57

> delusional Rails tard thinks Ruby isn't dying

Truly shocking. There's also nothing "mature" about Rails. Unicorn and Puma both come with gems just to kill worker processes because both Ruby and Rails leak memory like a sieve.

>if you want jobs, then django or express should be a safe choice

Who the hell searches for python jobs related to django or back end in general, if he wants jobs i'd say go for Go or Node(with yes, express)

Java, unironically

This. I don't kniw who keeps shilling. NET Core here, it's probably one guy. The .NET Core eco system sucks and database access is still slow as fuck. Nothing beats Java/Vert.x. If you dont like Java you can pick any JVM language of your choice. Language wise no language is more comfy than Kotlin and if you've got some brains you can even use Scala

Django is far more popular than Go for web development. Go isn't even close to that popular yet and probably never will be since so many early adopters now have massive regrets.

Go is the fastest growing language on git

And that's supposed to be a good thing? Nodejs was the fastest-growing framework and now even the creator admitted that nodejs has been a mistake

>This shit again

He just admits it has flaws, like the Django creator also said about Django

He's just smart, anyone will have regrets in hindsight after seeing what it could have been, but there's always refactoring and updating to be done.

NodeJS can be revamped just like any other language can be created..

His major gripe was not making the standard library into "promises", because promises has made JS usable; no more callback hell.

there's zero reason as to why nodejs can't be fixed/made better.

The defacto IDE is still Visual Studio, but for simple web api you can use Visual Studio Code which has a debugger and quite solid intellisense.
There's also JetBrains' Rider which is really good, it's like Visual Studio with Resharper only it's not slow as hell, although you may have to pay for it unless you're a student.
Both are cross-platform.

People saying Go will die are delusional. Not only its starting to be used in big companies but also ita just a very decent language all around in a segment which is infestated by abominations like php

>ita just a very decent language

It's a terrible language designed for retards. Pike has publicly stated this.

>His major gripe was not making the standard library into "promises", because promises has made JS usable; no more callback hell.
promises are just syntactic sugar to try and cover over callback hell
>there's zero reason as to why nodejs can't be fixed/made better.
name me one way Node can be made better than it already is, it cant because using callbacks is just a cheap hack to fake concurrency. this kind of 'concurrency' breaks down quickly when functions take too long and clog up the queue of the event loop

Its a great language and yes its beginner friendly(but so is slow as shit Python and thats why so many use it) the only problem is the weird syntax

>the only problem is the weird syntax

No the main problem is the incredibly shitty type system.