SHARP - THE GODS OF COMPUTERS

Why? Just fucking WHY did SHARP, the LITERAL GODS of computers in 80s and early 90s, has SUDDENLY stopped making new computing products after 1993? What the fuck happened?! What went wrong!? WHY!?

Look at X1 and X68000, these are DE FACTO most AESTHETICALLY SEXIEST and VERY powerful PCs (most games for CPS and CPS-2 were developed WITH X68000 and were tested ON X68000 before being transitioned onto CPS boards) of the 80s~90s, they were literally OOZING with CLASS, and TOP TIER QUALITY!

SO WHY IN THE FLYING FUCK SHARP SUDDENLY STOPPED MAKING SUCH AWESOME BEAUTIES!?

I admit, I've had an X68000 back in my youth, it was one of the very first PCs (alongside father's MSX2) I've had a user experience with AND it was FUCKING GLORIOUS, purely AWESOME, so I'm personally SUPER-FUCKING-MAD, downright BUTTHURT that SHARP suddenly out of nowhere stopped making these.

So I'm asking anons on Jow Forums: does anyone ACTUALLY know the EXACT reason/reasons WHY THE FUCK Sharp stopped making computers and so abruptly exited the business forevermore!? WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED!? WHAT WENT WRONG!? WHY SHARP NEVER ATTEMPTED TO GET BACK INTO PC-MAKING BUSINESS, FOR ALL THESE YEARS!?

P.S.
The GODLIKE X1 & X68000 love and appreciation thread.

Attached: GODLIKE SHARP COMPUTERS.jpg (2055x960, 1.04M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-T2PCEjM-z8
youtu.be/M28pl-HV7U0
youtu.be/gxdPUTE6430
youtu.be/SFKi02h4q4A
youtu.be/tq4ckZBNvQA
youtube.com/watch?v=EDlkcsz28PI
strawpoll.me/16880497
youtube.com/watch?v=4_XNm7GdB24
youtube.com/watch?v=Cy0POEP6Ndk&list=LLz8jIM8fiuIol_N1AhNf0vQ&t=1m30s
warosu.org/g/thread/S67108368
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

these look cool as fuck. they just probably wanted to focus on their television equipment rather than wasting money on something that was barely making a dent in the industry. yes, they look beautiful, but with that beauty comes price, my friend

Reminder Sharp is chink now

lol too bad for you

>wasting money on something that was barely making a dent in the industry
Sharp's PCs were SO-FUCKING-GOOD that they were massively popular not only in Japan, but also OUTSIDE of it, and that's while TECHNICALLY Sharp never intended to sell their computers outside of the country. X1, for one (pun not intentional), was selling like HOT CAKES in Europe (mainly Germany) in the 80s, AND you coull buy even an X68000 openly in stores there, albeit it straight import and thus all-Japanese. Yes. Really. I know this because MY FAMILY was living in Germany during mid-80s and all the way until late 1992, and it was Germany where I've got a chance to use my father's IMPORTED-STRAIGHT-FROM-JAPAN X68000 for the first time ever. My father was a mere dentist, a doctor, YET even OUR family was able to afford an MSX2 AND AN X68000 (exactly the version shown in OP pic, though there were also speakers and some more peripherals), so me and my older brother were playing a lot of games on these computers as well as was generally seeing how father was working on them on an everyday basis (I was only 4~5 back then, so I obviously didn't understand jack shit intricacies of usage-wise, it was father who was loading games for us, but hey, this WAS me and my brother's very first experiences with computers nonetheless). And we're not even Germans by nationality or genes, we're pure Russians. The place we were living in, was called Wittstock/Dose, which is roughly 40km at the north/north-west of Berlin. And that place had SHITTON of hardware/radioshacks on almost every corner, selling Japanese computers, cheap and expensive-alike (I clearly remember also seeing FM Towns in those stores' windows, at the very least).

US Govt / Microsoft intervention?

Because their computers just weren't very good. They may have looked nice, but that is about it. Don't judge everything based on games.

When i say Sharp, i mean business.

youtube.com/watch?v=-T2PCEjM-z8

Huh? How?
Sharp's PCs were always intended for internal Japanese (not even other Asian regions, JUST Japan, though I've heard some parties leaked to Taiwan in the later years, where were copied/knocked-off into """Taiwanese brands""", lasting all the way until late 1997) market only, so YOU-ASS-EYE's government obviously couldn't give two shits, and Micro$hit was doing MSX itself so they obviously didn't care all that much either due to massive popularity of MSX2/2+. If anything, MSX was competing with NEC PC-98 out of all things, not with Sharp.

It's true that Sharp (X68000 at the very least, since X1 was a much earlier model and essentially got fazed out/forgotten relatively fast due to being both cannibalized by Sharp's own released earlier MZ series AND because NEC's PC-88, which had essentially almost-same set of hardware, proven to be more successful in a long run, mainly because of backwards/forwards compatibility with PC-98) was very popular and highly sought-for outside of Japan, but it was never imported to 'murica via direct non-gray import, while Europe (aforementioned Germany for one) had a license to import (albeit strictly only with their own powers/resources, Sharp didn't help jack shit) and sell them openly if the computing stores had such an itch all of a sudden. And boy-oh-boy, it wasn't just an itch they had, it was a downright RASH. In Europe during the mid/late 90s and early 90s, Sharp's computers were actually MORE popular than FM Towns and PC-88/98 COMBINED ALTOGETHER (though they were still obviously losing to Apple, BBCs, AMD/Intel/IBMs, Tandies, and MSXes).

You are full of shit. Sharp's computers were GODLIKE for what they offered and how reliable they were. The modularity AND freedom of expansion/upgrade + features was INSANE even by today's standards. And YES, THOSE FUCKING SMMMEXY LOOKS. 98.82% of ALL modern custom ITX builds don't look as SLEEK and PRISTINE as X1 and X68000 looked RIGHT AWAY in the FIRST DAY.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

80'S YUPPIE SYNTHWAAAAAAAAAAVE OOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNN

Attached: 1534671670719.gif (245x187, 1.93M)

Definitely agree with this, from a gaming and A/V perspective the X68000 is fucking awesome, but you'll notice it kinda falls flat when it comes to productivity. The hardware just wasn't designed for it. Look how shitty SX-Window ran at a time when GUIs were an important selling point if you wanted to use your computer for something not gaming related.

>The hardware just wasn't designed for it
The fuck are smoking, nigger? You could expand X68000's memory to 12MB, an UNHEARD-OF OVERKILL at the time, absolutely majority of software on computing systems at the times didn't use more than 4MB usually, only and ONLY Sharp had several top tier software pieces written for it so that the said 12MB could be utilized fully. In those cases, when said programs were used and compared to their counterparts on other systems, X68000 was LITERALLY running LIGHT YEAR circles around the """""competition""""". And I'm NOT talking about games, but SERIOUS software for ACTUAL WORK. Sharp Means BUSINESS is NOT just a fancy slogan.

The X68000 was the only PC capable of both remote controlling microwaves and time travel

Attached: image.png (853x480, 235K)

I'm more saying the hardware is very gaming oriented with its sprite/tilemap hardware. It was designed similarly to a console or arcade machine of the time. Not exactly a good fit when a GUI is happier with a framebuffer to write to. The hardware was definitely good at doing "more with less", considering that in SIX YEARS of being on the market they only increased the CPU speed from 10 to 16mhz. Didn't even upgrade the CPU. It took until 1993 to get the X68030 and that was way too late considering that even low-end Macs had 68020s or 68030s years earlier.

And I say all this as a very proud and happy X68000 XVI owner. I love that thing, but I can see why it didn't take off. If you want to do more than play games, compare it to the contemporary PC98s or even Macs since they seem to have had a decent foothold there. They both did games "good enough" but their design was a much better fit for productivity software.

youtu.be/M28pl-HV7U0

youtu.be/gxdPUTE6430

youtu.be/SFKi02h4q4A

This is now SHARP FEELS thread.

Attached: X1 Turbo.jpg (1000x700, 280K)

those keyboards look cool as fuck
what switches do they use?

>XVI
Compact sucks ass.

Then why does it fail so hard next to a 68k Amiga of the same time? It even falls down when compared to the Macintosh, for God's sake. It's because the hardware isn't suited for anything except games. Like all Japanese home computers it is only noteworthy for its games.

>70s~90s hardware
>what switches do they use
Nigger, stop.

no

Agreed, the 3.5" drives and SMD caps cause too many problems. Good thing I actually have the full-size XVI ;)

>full sized
If it's not HD, you're still a cuck.Though not as much of a total cuck as with Compact.

Well, fuck. It's not officially badged as an HD but I did add a drive myself. I really need more than the stock 2MB to get the most out of it though.

It called markets, the have profits everyone enter there is less profits, companies exit or stop till they can compete again

That's not what I was asking about.
What I'm highly interested in, is WHEN was a decision made to cancel the Sharp's Power X and WHY Sharp decided to IMMEDIATELY and COMPLETELY drop out of PC-making business right after that, and I'm especially baffled by the mystery of WHY THEY'VE NEVER TRIED TO EVER COME BACK INTO THE MARKET EVEN ONCE EVER SINCE, for all these years!

If this information could've been easily searched up, I wouldn't have been asking here, but it's NOT, there is literally ZERO info on any of this. Does NO ONE on Jow Forums knows anything about WHAT actually happened? What the fuck, man?
In absolute majority of cases you can relatively easily find information on such things in the internet, especially nowadays (even if you have to fuck with the wayback machine/archive.org and web 1.0), but in case with Sharp in particular it nigh impossible to find anything substantial on any of this. This baffles me the fuck out.

>SHARP FEELS
Hold my Chinese Da Hong Pao tea, boiz:
youtu.be/tq4ckZBNvQA

Attached: 68K.jpg (516x524, 141K)

Low sales, expensive to produce, no selling point besides games. Should be clear why they dropped it?

That's what you're saying, but there are the proofs of what you're essentially ONLY IMPLYING?

>where are the proofs
self fix

Holy fuck, from what anime this is?

I'm not implying anything. I'm just inferring this from the information available. It's a plausible explanation for why a corporation may drop a product.

>thinking in 70 and 80 anyone used anything other than heavy duty mechanics

>from the information available.
WHERE!? I couldn't find jack shit on any of this in regards to Sharp, and I was searching for months!

Steins;gate

Figures. Patricians, indeed. THEY KNEW and THEY STILL KNOW.

I always heard it only sold 200,000 units.

youtube.com/watch?v=EDlkcsz28PI

>Lights in your keyboard synced to music
>Before LEDs
>In the 1980s
>We had this 30 years before gay LGBRT LEDs
>We lost it ALL after 1993, for DECADES, and it was MUCH BETTER than what it is NOW

SHARP X68000 IS THE FUCKING BEST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO THE ENTIRE FUCKING INDUSTRY, HANDS DOWN.
Sharp's computers were LITERAL Nicola Tesla of the fucking industry, while others are fucking Edison and other shithead which barred and downright gimped the progress! SHARP WAS THE FUTURE WE WERE REFUSED! FUCK INTURD, FUCK AMD, FUCK IBM, FUCK VIA, FUCK LOONGSON, FUCK MCST, FUCK APPLE, FUCK ARM, FUCK THEM ALL TO GODDAMN HELL!!!11 FUCKING REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: PERFECTION.jpg (1024x768, 74K)

But they weren't that good, especially if you didn't care about games. That picture right there has a joystick in it. It was just bad for regular use.

man shit looks great compared to Western PCs at the time like Amiga/Commodore and what have you

I wish the X1 was an MSX 2 or MSX 2+.
It would be perfect.

Fuck off you dumb fucking boomer retard
Half the thread is your inane wall of text spergrants

It was. X1 had an update called Turbo, which itself had versions I, II, and III. X1 Turbo III almost matched MSX2...almost.

>You are full of shit. Sharp's computers were GODLIKE for what they offered and how reliable they were. The modularity AND freedom of expansion/upgrade + features was INSANE even by today's standards. And YES, THOSE FUCKING SMMMEXY LOOKS. 98.82% of ALL modern custom ITX builds don't look as SLEEK and PRISTINE as X1 and X68000 looked RIGHT AWAY in the FIRST DAY.
You want to compare the competition at the time and it was some awful, ugly, and primitive shitbox like this.

Attached: hyundaisuper16te2.jpg (410x436, 41K)

Literal "BEIGE = THE MEME".

It had the V9938?

Their PCs and keyboards look good but the monitors are ugly, same with their TVs.

It was good enough to run Lotus 123 so that satisfied 80% of customers.

Nip PCs looked great from that era

Attached: Sony_HB-F1XV.jpg (3927x2230, 821K)

this was like 1970s technology when Sharp did stuff PCs don't even do today. why did it have to be this way?

X1 used separate monitor which also doubled as a TV screen (or vice-versa), so I can't really say what video was in that due to lack of in-depth tech spec info, yet what I say is that both MSX2 and X1 use Zilog 80 and Yamaha sound (2149 in MSX2, 2151 in X1 of latter revisions and same 2149 at the start) and that max res of MSX2 is 512x212 while X1 could do 640x200 even in the very first version. HOWEVER, what I could find is that X1's video memory is 48KB (in Turbo Z III) tops while MSX2 has 16KB minimum and can be expanded to 128KB, so take that reference for what it's worth, I guess.

>the monitors are ugly
Slit your wrists. Now.

>Why? Just fucking WHY did SHARP, the LITERAL GODS of computers in 80s and early 90s, has SUDDENLY stopped making new computing products after 1993? What the fuck happened?! What went wrong!? WHY!?
They were extremely expensive and got beat like a drum by cheaper platforms like PC-88/98 and MSX that had better software support.

Then along came widely-adopted western OSes like Windows 95 and that was quickly curtains for Japan's domestic computing scene writ large.

Mmkay, I was wrong. I could find some more accurate info on X1's video and, apparently, the original very first X1 starts at 4KB and 8 colors, while latest X1 Turbo Z III had 48KB at minimum and could be upgraded/expanded to 96KB with colors of 4096.

1982 X1
1982 X1d with Floppy
1983 X1c Compact Version
1984 X1ck Compact Version
1984 X1cs Compact Version
1984 X1 Turbo ( X1 with enhanced graphics )
1985 X1f
1985 X1 Turbo II
1986 X1g
1986 X1 Turbo III
1986 X1 Turbo Z
1987 X1 Turbo Z II
1988 X1 Turbo Z III

Turbo Z was special more beefed up version of Turbo which was sold strictly only in Japan (while standard non-Z Turbo could be bought as import overseas). As you can see in that list, X1's revisions and updates kept on coming out even after X68000 was already released. Now THAT is what I call a DEDICATION and GREAT CONSUMER SERVICE.

Sharp back then was the equivalent of what AMD is today - the ONLY truly good and absolutely sincere guy around.

Amiga was half the price of the competition and got beaten by Crapple. Figure that one out.

>why did it have to be this way?
Looks like shitshows that are Winblows 3.1 and Pentium (notice how MYSTERIOUSLY ENOUGH 1-st Pentium was released THE SAME YEAR Sharp released last version of their X68000? It looks like Pentium ACTUALLY is one of the culprits for the MURDER of Sharp's PC business...FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU) truly ruined everything for us forevermore. I just hope that someday we'll be able to build a portal through dimensions and find the one where Sharp actually won and became the dominant platform of choice in the market, while dirty kikes from Inturd died off at NetBUUUUURRRRRRRRst.

Or where we'd all still be using Amiga Master Race and Crapple went extinct 25 years ago.

I had an Amiga 2000...it was magnificent, but short-lived.

But only Yuros and furries care about Amiga.

And weebs. For the longest time, Amigas were the easiest way that you could get a genlock up and running for fansubbing VHS and LD rips.

Oh BTW FYI, Jow Forumsuyse, do you know that those two black blocks at the OP pic of X68000 HD is actually a detachable casing sitting on a stand and that THE FUCKING THING HAS A CARRYING, SOLID-METAL, ROUNDED HANDLE!? IN THE FUCKING 80s, no less!!!11 FUCK PENTIUM AND WINSHIT 3.1 FOR MURDERING SHARP, FUCK IT ALL TO HELL!!!11 BECAUSE OF THIS KIKE SHITTERY WE LITERALLY LOST 30-FUCKING-WHOLE YEARS OF NATURAL PROGRESS IN THE INDUSTRY! WE COULD'VE HAD 64K 280Hz MONITORS AND ZEN 4-TIER 128 core 5GHz CPUs IN PALM-SIZED CASES, AND 512GBs OF 8000MHz DDR6 RAM, AND 256TB PCI-e 5.0 SSDs FOR CHEAPER THAN 400$ BY NOW IF WE'D WEREN'T KEKED BACK 30 YEARS BY MICROSHIT AND JEWTURD!!!11 FUCKFUCKFUKCFUCKFUCKFUCKFUUUUUUUUUUCKKKK!!!!!!!!!111

Attached: 1530114792089.gif (200x200, 27K)

>LD rips
Disgusting. Downright plebeian.

Newsflash: The most technically advanced computer doesn't win, the one that's cheapest/simplest and has the best software wins.

>Disgusting. Downright plebeian.
Are you implying there were better options in the mid-to-late 90s?

Not to mention, there's a sizeable body of OVAs and other weeb materials that has yet to be re-released on a non-analog format.

Sharp had THE best software and it WAS easy/simple to use (it's not Commodore 64, that's for sure...in a good sense).

based, obviously

...as in?

strawpoll.me/16880497

Come on, Jow Forums. Show me, show you.

It wasn't the most advanced, it just shared a lot of hardware with coin-op games from Japan. Trying to do anything besides games on it was an exercise in futility.
>it's not Commodore 64, that's for sure...in a good sense
That is such a nonsense comparison to make.

youtube.com/watch?v=4_XNm7GdB24

Attached: PRISTINE PRESTIGE.jpg (600x450, 113K)

From Sharp minds come Sharp products...

so maybe they lost their edge?

Attached: troll-dad.png (100x97, 10K)

The edge broke against the granite stone that was Inturd Shitium. They weren't just ones, though. Shitium also pwned Tandy and many other smaller players out of existence when it came down to home PC production. Before Shitium was crapped out by Inturd there were roughly 80 documented different home PC-producing companies existing across the globe. After Shitium was shat out at the market in the 1993, by mid-1995 only ~8 players were left. And look where we are right now. Hitler didn't do enough cleansing.

>Figure that one out.
It's well known that Commodore International's corporate dysfunction was on par with Italian family dinners. Didn't matter how good the hardware or software is when you have assholes intentionally slamming the company into the ground. By the time the worst actors were paid off or got kick out in court, Microsoft cleaned up the market.

Attached: 1429395326604.jpg (500x615, 91K)

>assholes intentionally slamming the company into the ground
"Rory Read's AYYMD".avi

NEVER FORGIVE
E
V
E
R

F
O
R
G
E
T

I don't really get why these systems are so highly rated here. The X1 has a pretty average spec sheet for a 1982 home computer and maybe made a decent gaming system with whatever proprietary chipsets it used but it's hardly anything you'd call "powerful" even for the time in the context of actual computing. The X68000 is definitely a monumental leap forward from the Z80-based X1 in this regard, but even then it just brought it into low-end workstation territory at best with the first models still using base 68000s while most other workstation platforms had moved on to the 68020 and the very last of them still only used cost-reduced 68EC030s while even cheapie Macs were using fully-fledged 68030s or even 68LC040s at that time. At least they offered internal hard disk support and a myriad of interfaces, but the features are still pretty standard in that class at best or far behind at worst.

Aesthetics are always subjective but I also always felt they looked more like hotted-up gaming consoles than powerful, professional workstations which kind of limited my interest in them as a collector.

Nonetheless, they still stand out and look and feel like someone actually gave a shit about them, so I wouldn't even slightly hesitate to rescue one from scrap and enjoy it for what it is. I just can't really get this excited about it. I'd rather have an example from a higher-end, more historically significant or more over-engineered workstation platform if I had to choose.

>You could expand X68000's memory to 12MB, an UNHEARD-OF OVERKILL
In home computing terms sure, but that's pretty run-of-the-mill for a workstation. Most Sun-3s could max out at 16, HP 9000/300s could hit 48, the Mac IIx that came out only a year after the X68K could top out at a whopping 128 MB if you had more money than sense. All of these systems also used the 68020 processor with a 68881 *standard* (the X86K offered it only as an option.)
>only and ONLY Sharp had several top tier software pieces written for it so that the said 12MB could be utilized fully
That's just utter bullshit. Besides, most people buying workstations at that time (and even today) rolled their own code for a lot of the real work.

look dude if they were that good we'd still be using them lol

the market decided they didnt want them, for whatever reason. the company stopped making them because they werent making money.

is there a more tiresome cliche than /vr/ console fanboys that cherrypick images of crappy/pedestrian looking PCs because they have no actual reasons for believing what they do beyond an overly emotional victim complex

Attached: 1987_06_BYTE_12-06_CAD_Mice_12-MHz_ATs_IBM_PS2_Family_0132.jpg (1152x1624, 137K)

You're like the modern "form over function" faggots, caring about brand loyalty more than end performance.

What do you think most Amiga fanboys are?
They unironically think the keyboard AIO form factor was good.

Fuck off. Sharp is in the good hands now (Foxconn).

Oh look, it's the computer line that lost IBM their market leadership and millions of dollars.

>Nonetheless, they still stand out and look and feel like someone actually gave a shit about them
Presentation is everything. That was why Steve Jobs insisted on the Apple II having an expensive molded plastic case instead of a metal or wood box like every other computer in the early days.

>It's well known that Commodore International's corporate dysfunction was on par with Italian family dinners
That is true. It's a shame the computers were so much fun and countless people's childhoods wouldn't have been the same without them.

It went the way of Alpha I guess.

JPCs always seemed quite useless to me. Nothing but weeb dating sims and hentai games. Arcade ports? You have MAME for that.

Absolute sex
youtube.com/watch?v=Cy0POEP6Ndk&list=LLz8jIM8fiuIol_N1AhNf0vQ&t=1m30s

Attached: 1509850166097.gif (540x300, 1.99M)

All I ever see people talk about in regard to this computer is games, which is something I don't care about at all. What was it notable for besides games, or was that it?

>All I ever see people talk about in regard to this computer is games, which is something I don't care about at all

Attached: 578676.jpg (588x350, 31K)

This is you, gamer.

Attached: gamer.jpg (194x260, 9K)

Lemme guess, you're that one guy who made 20 anti-LGR threads and said retro computer fags should use old spreadsheets to LARP as an 80s office worker.

No, I don't even know what that is. I'm just saying that games are stupid. Why would you judge the quality of a computer by what kinds of toys you can play on it?

mmuh childhood. mmuh shitty platformers for toddlers.

>No, I don't even know what that is

warosu.org/g/thread/S67108368

Yeah, I still don't what the fuck LGR means.

I figured that admission made it pretty clear that's one of the reasons I still appreciate them, even if I find them a little overrated and some of that polish a little limiting (the 5.25'' floppy disk bezels)

today I learned that technical excellence is a function of sales and market share, thanks for dropping by with those hot wikipedia snippets /vr/eddit
(really?)
the PS/2 was expensive and difficult to clone, so it's no wonder it did not win the market back for IBM (who was already losing it from the beginning) but that doesn't mean the systems themselves weren't quite decent from a technical perspective, and you could probably say the added expense from that (plus IBM tax of course) was why they "failed" to begin with (even though IBM probably sold more entry-level models by the fleet than Sharp sold X1s and X68000s combined)

Attached: xE06ce6.png (1399x714, 98K)

I've never seen someone sperg out this hard about a fucking business suitcase, so I'm inclined to believe this is all some kind of elaborate larp.

Funny shit, though, gonna be savin' this thread.

I read this every time someone regurgitates it at me and every time I never really understand why I'm supposed to care about any of it

the PS/2 was never a gaming machine, it was a computer meant to compute things, things like "CAD" (this person obviously doesn't really know much about non-gaming use of PCs), spreadsheeting, and other more "productive" work was what these machines were always built for, nobody was blowing the upper end of four to five figures on a glorified gaming console

proprietary hardware is a legitimate consideration if you're looking just for a reliable and practical system to play old games on in 2018, it's not really anything to care for as a corporate or otherwise deep-pocketed buyer in 1987, nor is it inherently bad or even a mark against the PS/2, introducing new technologies like MCA to challenge existing standards was one of the main goals of the project

the whole diskette complaint shit is just the poster being retarded and obviously not having any previous experience with MCA systems or really big-name OEM hardware in general, previous IBM PCs and plenty of competitors like Compaq and HP used setup diskettes as well and refdisks are easy as fuck to create, likewise ADF files can be scavenged from the internet or even just faked if you don't care for the card. I did this for the 5250 emulation card on my Model 70 since I didn't have a twinax dongle or S/36 to hang it off of

tl;dr none of these points really mean much against the PS/2 as a system especially in the context of it as a new and current product, it's just some retro gamer who probably picked one up from a recycler, didn't know how to use it and instead of figuring it out and accepting it for what it was just got mad and ranted about it on vogons

>it's just some retro gamer who probably picked one up from a recycler, didn't know how to use it and instead of figuring it out and accepting it for what it was just got mad and ranted about it on vogons
The guy outright said he was a repair tech back then and the things weren't even that good for general purpose computing
> it's not really anything to care for as a corporate or otherwise deep-pocketed buyer in 1987, nor is it inherently bad or even a mark against the PS/2, introducing new technologies like MCA to challenge existing standards was one of the main goals of the project
Apparently even the corporate world didn't care for it because why would you use IBM's overpriced, proprietary gear when standard PC parts were so cheap, abundant, and worked with everything?