Computer Science PhD Thread

Computer Science PhD Thread

How's your research going user?

Attached: wojak.jpg (1600x900, 44K)

>PhD
Sorry about your thread

only 1st year CS students and lots and lots of 14yo retards on Jow Forums

PhD on CS is retarded

sorry bro, I'm working on my EE degree still. Gotta do circuit design to make FPGA remakes of my old consoles.

there are still threads of people starting their classes in the middle of the semester on Jow Forums asking retarded questions like will smoking weed make me a better programmer. Don't expect much from Jow Forums.

does phd not make you a more knowledgeable person?

you'll be stuck in academia forever

Hope to enroll in a joint math/cs phd program next year. My bs in math is, well, bs. Shit for jobs. Have no formal training in cs (no college credit, even), hopefully that wont set me back too far.

Attached: boomer.jpg (380x349, 35K)

not really. Jobs in industry exist for PhDs.

Just ran this thread through it, and I can confirm...I've successfully determined a constant time algorithm to determine if OP is a faggot (the answer is yes).

lol. good luck with that

There are SO MANY job opportunities for PhD people. I'm saying this from experience it opens so many doors simply because of the fact that brainlets will now think that your IQ has 4 digits.

what kind of opportunities
i've heard of principal engineer jobs going to phds but it's also not something that strictly requires a phd right?
is that the highest engineering or research related position you could obtain in industry since a VP or CTO position is more managerial rather than technical

Same fagging this hard

lol pick up the ANSI C textbook right now and a good data structures book right after

professor, assistant professor, and full professor?

>undergraduate
>living with parents
>parents can barely take care of themselves let alone pay debt
>complain about helping me every step of the way
i should just kill myself now

Attached: baby.png (393x498, 178K)

not samefag i'm trying to question the user that what kind of special doors does a phd open in industry. maybe he's just talking about highly competitive senior type positions

What are you doing research in, OP? I'm still contemplating whether to do PhD or not after I finish masters

Going to finish my masters soon, is going for a phd worth it at all?

there are places in the industry, personally know a CS PhD which directly moved in the industry after finishing, working as a data scientist

the better question would be, is it worth it, compared to just masters? for jobs like that, i dont think so

>master's thesis deadline in 2 months
>haven't even started yet
I'm about to fucking kill myself
how the hell do people do PhDs after this?

by not being an idiot and managing their time

motivation's the problem, not time management
worst of all is that it's so fucking easy, I can literally just copy other's projects and it'll pass

it's going good, im in data science reaching 3rd year. kinda stuck on a problem for 6 months so it's slow for now but my prof is chill because i got a few papers early.

also im gonna get into teaching and working with my state government on a few projects already, so would like to continue keep doing it.
feels pretty good to see your work being implemented in practical everyday life.

Targeted CS PhDs at good programs are worth it, you can clear $500k/year starting at places like Microsoft or Google with an ML-focused PhD under your belt.
For areas that aren't powered by memes and reckless optimism, CS PhDs don't provide a significant marginal improvement in compensation or career advancement over comparable time spent working in industry. The only reason you'd go to grad school is if your undergrad was too shitty for you to find a good job.

whats it on?

AI meme, neuroevolution

CS twinks FEAR the BBC.....

Waiting for my advisor to fire me because incompetence.
Also tryna fugg the qt3.14s in other research groups and students.

struggling to get new ideas, might be kicked out soon
I’m too lazy to apply jobs so I’ll be enjoying sweet neetbux

?

Attached: bbc.png (1280x967, 58K)

end me, I can't handle this thesis
>pass all classes with no problems
>procastrinate on thesis for 6th month now

Im considering going back for a masters but idk. Anyone here care to elaborate on what they did for their masters?

seeing that we're talking about cs - is it ok to get an applied math major and study cs on my own time?

CS is for academia, its a math major

Can't relate to you on a PhD Leven friend. What are you researching though? I'm considering a PhD in some field related to embedded. Not sure what to pick yet though.

A PhD opens a lot of doors and closes others. People with a PhD get paid more but if you consider that you invested 4+ years in school while you could be getting promoted you make less money overall. You get a PhD if you have something you want to do research. I wouldn't recommend going for a PhD unless you're pretty adamant about what kind of research you want to do for your PhD and already have some schools in mind.

>How's your research going user?
My stipend ran out and I'm currently working full time, but I managed to allocate some time the previous weeks to write a journal article that I'm hoping will be accepted. Fingers crossed.

Have a new publication in the pipe, hopefully I can submit that to some conference in January and defend not long after that.

All in all, a bit disappointed with my employer, they promised me time to finish up my PhD and it was a condition for my employment, but I'm given other tasks all the time. But they pay my salary, so meh.

Kek

Not CS but I'm probably getting into a PhD program for EE because I can't find a goddamn job.

I know that feel fren
the reason I even accepted the offer was because entry level jobs were out of reach
and my family thinks I’m smart lmao

I applied for one, still waiting for the answer, will take around one month. It's really more of a e-health research. But the good thing is that I not live in burgerland so i will have about the same salary as I currently have

How the fuck you cant find a job as EE? Did you make internships?

I'm from a country which is pretty much in recession and has little to no EE related industries.
Third world shit holes don't care about engineers.

This, although I would say an accelerated 5 year masters is probably the sweet spot

>accelerated 5 year masters
How is a 5 year masters accelerated?