pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>Use the buyer's template
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Group Buys
Deskthority, Geekhack, Massdrop
>Keyboard wiki
deskthority.net/wiki/Main_Page

Last Thread

Attached: IBM M15-2.jpg (1024x623, 161K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vNUEUth7qjc
youtube.com/watch?v=fyk3swyIG_c
shop.keyboard.io/
gboards.ca
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My current keyboards are Z-88 75% (Outemu blues but also reds thanks to hotswap) and CoolerMaster Quickfire TK (Cherry MX Browns). Both have meme layouts. Anyone know of good keycap replacements that fit these? I'm assuming it's going to cost a lot so instead I'm thinking of buying Reddragon K552 and then modding it. So the questions then become:

1. Does the K552 have all standard layout? Are all keycaps replaceable in 1 standard kit?
2. What is the best feeling and sounding replacement keycap set for it without going too expensive?
3. How much a keycap can help with the sound anyway? (sound signature, noise level?)
4. Can PBT keycaps be backlit? If not, can ABS be not shit if it's thicc?
5. Is cherry profile worth seeking or is OEM good enough?
6. Is DSA a meme, ergonomically speaking? Its lack of different rows could be a solution to meme layouts of my keyboards.

Attached: out.jpg (1365x1343, 369K)

Gayming keyboards have the fugliest legends, good lord. Do people actually find these fonts appealing or do they just not particularly care?

Attached: 1485859006910.png (374x345, 202K)

>Do people actually find these fonts appealing or do they just not particularly care?
These people are the same people that like christmas trees on their fucking desks so they probably like those fonts.

I absolutely don't like them but looks like all cheap mech keyboards have them, which is one reason I'm looking for new keycaps.

Convince me that I don't need back-lighting. I've always had it on the keyboards I've bought but I want to go custom and get some nice PBT caps.

You don't need backlighting because you shouldn't be looking at the keyboard in the first place.
If you can't touch type, learn that first and then you can start burning money on keyboards.
Unless you are one of those fags that thinks that backlighting looks "cool", in that case I should remind you that you must be over 18 to post on this site.

Tai-hao keycaps

I've always liked white backlighting, so if that makes me 9+ years younger then so be it. I think it looks pretty nice but I also do like the aesthetic of regular keycaps too, particularly white ones. My main sticking point with lighting is I've just always found it to be useful for helping me find more obscure keys if I'm in dark lighting, but I generally keep the lights on when using my PC nowadays to avoid eye strain.

topre.

Attached: 1450968264910.png (256x256, 119K)

I mean is it prevalent that we have an autist on the loose again?

cherry mx whites are GREAT switches

>tfw when your keys start taking on that meaty 'thwock' after lubing

Attached: 1501042252.gif (474x374, 2.46M)

Well I was mostly referring to those gaymer fags that like full RGB christmas trees, white backlighting is alright but personally I find any form of light not coming from the monitor distracting.

>not liking pointless gimmicks made for toddlers that can't type makes me an autist
sure thing gaymer babby, how much did your mom pay for your razer keyboard?

Dumb anime poster

Nah not really. They're just lubed mx greens essentially, & they're pretty inconsistent as a result.

this

>don't like what i dislike
>not a common behaviour with autists
Also I don't own any rgb or backlited boards but posts like yours makes me feel I'm speaking with a literal child

>don't like what i dislike
I'm just saying that rgb backlighting is pointless because if you look at your keyboard while you type you are way slower and it's also distracting as fuck (especially those chink boards with moving patterns).
It's literally form over function.
>not a common behaviour with autists
preferring form over function is also a common behaviour with literal children.

As an alternative to back lighting, I'm thinking of using a few LEDs to create dim red (or maybe amber) ambient lighting, a "submarine light" of sorts so I can see in the dark without eye rape.

Attached: main-qimg-9efa0533cd48d52a923d59494580e9be.gif (304x289, 61K)

Dear lord, RGB was a mistake. I sanded it down for DIY blanks, but this was the unintended side effect

Attached: 2A61F89C-4D41-4348-B9A1-B51C4E168275.jpg (2576x1932, 1.99M)

>he suddenly becomes more humble when he's been called out

how hard do you game, user?

Sure thing faggot, at least I explained my reasoning for not liking rgb bullshit.
What's your reason for liking pointless shit made for children?

>muh reading comprehension
But I'll quote, just for you
>Also I don't own any rgb or backlited boards
Nothing to do with the led-build or type of switches but calling out random strangers on the internet for their choices of boards because you don't like it, is in fact, autistic.

>Arguing about what you like or don't like about keyboards in a mech kb general is autistic
(you)

Tell me you don't want one of these things after watching this ad

youtube.com/watch?v=vNUEUth7qjc

Attached: us__en_us__ibm100__selectric__selectric_1__900x773.jpg (900x773, 87K)

I don’t, Linux only for the last two years. That keyboard got ripped apart for caps and switches about a week ago for the Gergo dev units.

Which leads me to ask, is RGB support something y’all want on v2

Attached: 1017A3D1-34CC-48FA-8D08-A8D9E28C5AB4.jpg (2576x1932, 1.23M)

Attached: desk accoutrements.jpg (2400x1600, 1.01M)

Yes it is and it is a very common behavior from children with autism.
Also you weren't arguing, you were throwing a tantrum.

Anyone here try out arctos switches? Just looking at the stem the bump looks sharper than the mx clear clones out there.

Attached: memeio on the left.jpg (600x399, 11K)

>you weren't arguing, you were throwing a tantrum.
I explained why I don't like rgb backlighting while you have just been spamming "muh autism" for the third time in a row so you aren't arguing either
Also if you really think that not liking something is autistic you should go back to your favorite echo chamber, you can downvote as much as you want over there.

Attached: 1525335078989.jpg (717x880, 200K)

I want one of these just to listen to its noise. So fucking good.

youtube.com/watch?v=fyk3swyIG_c

That's a pretty cool idea, user. Though why not just dim red backlighting? 2gaymur4u?

I already use my Z-88 like that. I was thinking in case of upgrading to no-shine-through PBT keycaps. Also my Quickfire TK has white back lighting that can't be dimmed enough, it's too bright.

Your original posts wasn't explaining anything, just you shitting up this thread, like a child would and therefore my reason for calling you out but you suddenly get defensive over your autism, which now you get still pissy over your immature behavior.

>buying sandpaper mx ever

Attached: 2017-Brand-New-4pcs-Cherry-MX-Silent-Red-Switches-For-Mechanical-Gaming-keyboard.jpg_640x640.jpg (640x640, 24K)

Gentlemen, please, this is a mechanical keyboard thread where people fuss endlessly over things that most people would never even think about. We're all autists here.
OK, yeah the keycaps is a pretty good reason. That's the decision I'm trying to make at the moment. Stick with good quality double shot ABS and use red lighting or go PBT.

What's the issue with no-shine keycaps. It's not like they make the LEDs stop working

Attached: DSC01872.jpg (700x465, 140K)

Does it illuminate the letters? That's pretty much the whole point of back lighting in the first place you know.

I thought the point of a backlight was just for looks since most people already know where the keys on their keyboards are.

I ended up getting a GMMK and have been waiting for what would drive me to swap switches. Then I stumbled across pic related. Has anybody tried these fuckers out yet? They got me chubbin' a little bit

Attached: IC_Hako_Royal_Clears.png (1093x773, 64K)

I have a set of Tai-Hao Jukebox and the legends are translucent enough to shine red with the backlight on.

Not going to lie, red lights are aesthetic as fuck. Holy crap I want to be stuck in a tube with a bunch of dudes for weeks at a time.

Who /cream/ here?

Got a few to try out but will probably stick with my box yellows

Feels good having hotswap so I can just plug in and try out switches on the fly B]

Attached: 1F024E11-3EA1-4FF5-9942-87956A115EDE.jpg (3004x3004, 2.19M)

Can you turn off all the lights on a realforce rgb? Its the only realforce I can seem to get locally?

Browns are life

what is this

name?

Seriously, what's the deal with the banana board you fuck

FC660C

>topre

I'm currently using a full sized realforce from 2010, but I want to move on.

What's a good split keyboard so I can place my ambidex trackball in the middle?

user, can you, please, recommend me a decent sub $100 full-sized mechanical keyboard with a decent key rollover?
Bonus points for having a volume wheel.
The backlight isn't vital but is a welcomed option.
It will be used for both gaming and typing, including typing code.

Sometimes you don't have a choice

I agree, I find them ugly with those fonts and colors... But some people like them, like people eating bananas with ketchup

Attached: f7c0c517a2a5ebfc.jpg (1080x1223, 431K)

>Budget
$200 give or take
>Location
Australia
>Preferred switch type
Don't have any particular type in mind, so looking for recommendations. Preferably something light that requires less travel distance before registering a key press. Some tactile feedback is nice. No preference on noise level. Not sure what hard or soft means.
>Layout
ANSI
>Form factor
100%
>Backlight
Yes
>Previous/current keyboards
Whatever I could get for $5 from gumtree (Australian craigslist)
>Other features
I did have a keyboard that had a detachable hand rest which was a feature I liked. Extra buttons are nice too.

Attached: 4f523ba.jpg (425x565, 53K)

What is it about the Realforce that you've gotten over? Have you got a 55g?

Theres a model with cherry switches. Beware if you want to change the keycaps though. Non standard spacing on spaceboard and other keys.

55, 45 and 30 depending on the finger group
it still works great, but I seriously need to lube and maybe add o rings (because the up strokes are quite loud)
I might do that when I have time, but I kinda want to try one of those concave split keyboards

Cheers for the reply. I'm looking at a variable weight 87u at the moment but I work in a bullshit open office and I fear that unless I get it silenced, it's still going to be too loud.

Also are you talking about a kinesis advantage or something similar? I'm interested in what cherry switches you'd go for coming from variable topre.

>I kinda want to try one of those concave split keyboards
Get a dactyl manuform then. I happen to have one I could sell :^)

Attached: IMG_20180926_161727.jpg (3100x1606, 838K)

they are maybe a bit louder than rubber dome, but nothing near as loud as loud as your typical mechanical switch.
o rings are supposed to make it quite nice to work with though

no, not like those uni body ones, but I've seen a couple of self built ones.
I don't have a 3d printer though, so idk what my options really are.
also, no clue about the switches yet, probably some klickedy klack blue switches

yeah like that

Jesus fucking christ I don't even have the numpad on here yet.

Look at this fucking thing.

Look at it.

Attached: ggb.png (950x307, 15K)

Anyone planning to get one of the new Truly Ergonomic Keyboard 2018 models when released? xahlee.info/kbd/truly_ergo_keyboard_cleave.html

Also, recommend me other orthlinear, split keyboards that aren't a dactyl or Ergodox etc.

Just take a look at the ergo & DIY sections on that site, plenty of split columnar stagger boards.

That looks like the Atreus, just wonkier. I'd say go for the gayBoard. As of right now it's a 140 key split ortho board with a detached numpad.

shop.keyboard.io/ yay or nay?

That's not gboards.ca

But they're pretty good guys, the keeb.io guys are pretty cool too.

I wouldn't if only because of the non-standard keycaps.

What is this monster. 145 keys, two TRRS connections and I managed to saturate a entire MCP23018

Attached: ggb.png (749x468, 27K)

>tfw there's a company manufacturing non-gaming mechanical keyboards based on the Model F but they're so expensive you might as well buy an actual Model F

Why not two pro micros instead of that expander?

They also have metal cases, unlike the model Fs you can buy for a reasonable price.

Because then I'd have to use two pro micros. I'm using a TQFP Atmega32u4 at the moment to get around the shitheap that is mounting a breakout package as part of a finished design.

Don't ask me why that rubs me the wrong way, but seeing well layed out boards ruined by a big honker of a micro on 0.1pitch standoffs kills me. You have SMD LEDs and Diodes but chunking a wide DIP package on there seems reasonable? TF

Makes sense then if you want to keep everything SMD.

Honestly, I need to take a look and try and find a cheaper i2c shifter (or something similar). Hell, the only reason I'm going with the Atmega32u4 is to keep QMK compatibility (Let's be real, that's half the appeal of mechs). Right now that MCU is a good chunk of my BOM.

isn't QMK moving towards ARM anyway? the upcoming Proton-C controller they've put out uses an ARM chip

Given the choice, I think I'd still rather get the 122 key terminal board

Yeah it's less limited then the AVR platform. Haven't really looked into it though, I doubt it's a hardware limitation. A quick look shows you can do USBC with AVR pretty easily though, so it's probably more of a issue getting devs on it.

AFAIK the main problem with the AVR stuff is

1. availability will go down at some point as everything else moves on
2. the inbuilt memory of an ATM32u4 is small enough that you can run into filesize problems with firmware, especially with lots of advanced features which is where keyboard development seems headed

How would you rate QMK?

That being said the 32u4 is a pretty old chip at this point, there are better ones now with higher capacity (I believe). Either way, it's more of a question of will a dev pick up the torch and get support added in.

Just taking a browse at STM prices, you're adding 5-10$ for a micro, that turns into 20-25$ after costing. Probably run into the same issue with higher end AVR anyway.

10/10 project.

Good. My newly assembled DZ60 is coming in few days. I've already checked QMK Configurator and it looks easy enough to me.

Huh. I didn't know there was a online tool for that. I've just been editing my keymap.

Hopefully the online configurator is as easy as it seems. I tried a couple of tests and I liked it. The configurator allows to export or import .json files and compiles the code and generates .hex file.

Ah that would make sense why so many projects go with a teensy, drag and drop with a gui. Just download a hex and smack her over.

The equivalent is running make and using avrdude to flash the fw.

>Budget
$50-100
>Location (continent at least)
Eastern EU/ Poland-Czech (I travel)
>Preferred switch type
Not sure. I'd like something with a definite tactile 'click' at the end of the stroke, medium-long travel distance, soft, and optimally quiet.
>Layout
ISO
>Form factor
100% with additional function keys if possible.
>Backlight
Something with either low or customizable brightness; color doesn't matter, but reds are preferable, as I work in the dark of the night most days.

Any suggestions?

I've only had the chance to try the NATEC-GENESIS Thor 300 TKL in the store today, and while I liked how the keys felt and responded, it also had what felt like 'cheap' build quality, and small form factor, which is a no-go, as my main occupation is in long-form writing.

Haven't had a mechanical keyboard before.

you don't need to use avrdude anymore, the QMK toolbox lets you flash things as easily as a Teensy once you've got the .hex

Wow, that looks like a neat tool! I've been on Linux for fucking ever so that's why I've probably never heard of her. I'll need to look into the layout config for the Gergo so y'all can flash it.

>JIS tenkeyless realforce
I like it so much I may buy a second one for my work desk.

Whatever this is, this is not JIS. JIS goes like !"#$%&'()~=~|

>Budget
$70
>Location (continent at least)
Argentina
>Preferred switch type
anything but blues
>Layout
ISO/ANSI, both work for me
>Form factor
60%
>Backlight
don't mind if it has it

Whats a good fullsize or tkl rubber dome keyboard?

Dz60 pcb
Sentrac aluminum case and plate in silver
Gateron yellow for the letters
Cherry mx black for the space bar keys
Cherry mx locking black for the caps lock
Kailh box jade for everything else
Dsa pbt blanks white for letters, light gray for the others
And this star, not sure where ill put it

Attached: -37385937-1372495151.jpg (750x750, 162K)

Still working on the layout, but fuuuuuck this is huge.

Attached: Untitled.png (1127x324, 35K)

they could have easily fit page up and page down, dumb cunts

Ducky One