Where the fuck are the uncompetitive new grad developer jobs?

where the fuck are the uncompetitive new grad developer jobs?
it seems you have to have 3+ brand name internships, stellar gpa, and a good reputation in open source to even get an interview at some no-name start up. what is going on with this market?

Attached: 1537314672390.jpg (1200x1200, 172K)

>He fell for the CS meme

>2.7 gpa, graduatating in may
>1 internship at a no name company
>nothing on GitHub besides a few shitty Java projects I coded a couple years ago

Still get calls from recruiters at least once a week. Got an interview on Wednesday but I probably won't take the job. Worse comes to worse the company I intern for will definitely hire me. Code monkey jobs are easy as fuck to find.

are they spam recruiters or legitimate jobs?
I get the occasional "Android Developer in the middle of flyover needed urgently" email too, but I tend to ignore them.

>no job offers this fall
>take single spring class to postpone graduation and intern with fortune 500 bank unpaid
>list that bank on resume
>3 pending offers for when i graduate
>tfw working for free for 3.5 months makes you almost $20k more/yr starting
youre never too good for any job tbqh

what else is on your resume?

>He fell for the CS meme
He fell for the CS meme
>He fell for the CS meme
He fell for the CS meme
>He fell for the CS meme

two current jobs, a 3.0+ gpa, and a second language. that's really it and people are already biting. plan to add a cert in spring and then just coast, which sounds arrogant as shit, but its really all i need at this point.

>two current jobs,
cs related? where are you finding places to apply? i'm in the bay area so maybe here it is just more competitive, but i'm willing to relocate anywhere

I live in a literal flyover and im planning to relocate to a major city. if you dont mind a bumfuck area its less competitive. try cincinnati, nashville, houston, east coast hubs that arent huge but still have companies due to geographic importance. atlanta is very hot right now.

>smokes
>alcoholism
>risk for opioid addiction

>tried reading...tried fashion...tried lifting

Found your problem, You have to do the good stuff AND cut out the bad stuff.

ill check out atlanta, seems like a cool place.
houston too.

that's why I'm getting my PhD. 500k starting

It better be a Ph.D in ML, otherwise getting a Ph.D is usually a net negative financially speaking

>Ph.D is usually a net negative financially speaking
i think this only true outside of TEM. literally any discipline in engineering, a PhD leads to a great career.

It's going to vary by location, but here in the Seattle area, any one of
>internship(s)
>open sauce projects
>a non-zero length resume (short-term contracts etc)
usually at least gets you a phone interview. Nobody cares about your GPA. Most people who get to the interview phase can't code for absolute shit, so if you can do that, you're basically in.

Just having a degree isn't enough. The "guy holding diploma" meme is totally real and every company here knows it. You have to have SOME prior experience on your resume or some other kind of proof that you can actually do a job, which most (60%+) of recent grads can't.

>PhD leads to a great career
Yes, but it doesn't lead to a better career than the +3-6 years of experience you would have otherwise

not only do you need to apply anywhere that needs someone to write code. you need to be in the places where people who write code gather. HH/mixers, cons, meetups, reaching out to people on linkedin.

don’t be fucking stupid OP. you need to put yourself out there and find where the people are, talk to them, make friends, hustle online like a whore, you need to SELL yourself, and don’t suck at writing code or makeup bullshit sounding stories. Be honest go make a connection, get a fucking job.

Attached: image.jpg (458x360, 81K)

>what is going on with this market?
People like me who haven't gone to college, but have a fantastic reputation in open source, is what's going on.

Also, who'd you hire:
>user spend 8 years programming, learning from books, videos, courses
>user who just graduated from 4 years of bullshit and can barely write code

>i'm in the bay area
That's probably the worst place to be. It's like Nashville, TN, where millions of retarded hillbillies gather in the hopes of becoming a famous country singer.

Making 100k straight out of college with a arts degree
>He fell for the stem meme
KEK

what do you do?

How do you choose what to contribute to in the way of open source projects?

>apply for senior dev position
>ace the interview
>don't get the job because I'm not what they're looking for
>pretty fucking sure my salary wish was just too high
>get mail two months later
>they ask if I'm still interested
>they now offer 10% more than I asked
>"no"

Attached: nothanks.jpg (661x949, 127K)

Have family/connections bro.
Qualifications are secondary.
My dad got me a job working the bank he works at making 90,000 starting, with an interview that was a formality.

how do you deal with panic attacks resulting from long term unemployment

Did you already find a better job?

Simply take drugs until you die.

that doesn't help me get back

>Ace the interview
Sounds like you're a massive dickhead already. Wipe all that mangoo off your nose and you might not always be the 2nd best in life.

i suck cock of old rich men, i am gay not sure if that matters

>not having at least 2 years of professional experience by the time you get your BSc
Why are Americans so lazy? In my eastern euro shithole like 80% of students got a paid internship after 2nd year and then kept working part time (usually 24 hours a week, as juniors and then regulars), often jumping through 2 or 3 companies by the time they graduated.
The only ones who didn't were the ones who were lazy or couldn't bear having no social life (or sleep).

Don't fall for the xanax meme, it doesn't work, it may numb you at first for a few days but afterward, you will revert back to your shitty way of dealing with things. I'm in the same slump, final year of CS most of my colleagues work while I don't care about anything and yet I'm angry because I don't , I guess the first step is to try to change your environment and exist this bullshit comfort zone after that, things will get better, or so they say.

Attached: 1532402793881.jpg (272x204, 5K)

>500k
In your dreams

this is me but 32. My life is suffering. I have no purpose or place I fit into and I just wish for meaningful employment but at my age and depression level its hard to sit down and start learning a skill to pull myself out of this self imposed prison.

Help

do you have studies?

pick youself up, go to the gym, eat well and start studying. Take an online course or something, you have no excuse.

develop some discipline dammit.

I had one internship at some no-name startup and no GitHub and still got a job at a high paying tech company. Maybe you're just dumb.

so...why not?

Are we tired of winning yet?

/thread

Good, user, those companies need to learn through pain.
Best when they won't get another because in the middle of nowhere or [criminal, dying town].

I just blame it on HR having massive shit taste

>panic attacks at interviews
This sucks man. I was neet for a year and getting back into things was hard as hell. I got a pro tip for you tho: ask for cup of water at the start of the interview. It will give you something physical to focus on when the fear starts creeping up on you and if you got a panel interview, you can send people out periodically to get you more water which is oddly empowering.

This is unironically good advice. It will give you "power" over the interviewers also giving a signal that you're not that shy.

idk why the fuck this is this way but humans are strange fucks

>give you "power" over the interviewers
>implying they won't point to the water filter outside and tell you to go get it yourself
imagine how would you feel if one of them even asked you to get one for them as well as you got up

>tfw got a job maintaining java corporate software due nepotism (dad is a good friend of the ceo)

I'm going to make it brahs

>you: Hey could I have another cup of water please?
>interviewer: fucking thirsty biiiiitch get it yourself
>stabs you

Its an interview not prison,user.

>I'm going to make it brahs
>maintaining pajeet code for shekelstein

wew

>dad is a good friend of the CEO
sounds like you don't even need to make it

I think it all depends on what place you're trying to fill. The thing about humans is that any time a group gathers in a place for an extended period, a hierarchy WILL form by necessity.

Being a newcomer, you will have to insert or be inserted into that hierarchy in some way. That being said, it's not necessarily the best option to establish dominance "right off the bat" because your goal is to ENTER the organization or company-- not take over before you even start. Playing a more submissive role, or preferably an ambiguous one will give them the most flexibility in accepting or integrating you into the structure.

Basically if the interview panel contains an authority figure they could be either threatened or antagonistic toward a new person ordering people around like he's the boss-- before even getting even hired.

It's a balance like anything. it's true you don't want to appear weak or shy but the opposite has its own risks. Stay neutral and stick to the qualifications for the actual position, be a brain and not a monkey

Everything makes sense, but I didn't try fashion yet.

>Eastern EU idiot
>dropout, got a job so I decided to quit University, also had the highest grades with anything related to programming or IT
>during 1 year of working as a developer, work a ton of overtime, don't get paid for 4 months
>just deciding to change countries, can't live like this
>decide to come to a smaller town in this next country, have a friend there
>2 months later still no job of any sort
>literally 10€ left in my wallet
>no IT companies here, left CVs in bars, stores, restaurants, hotels
>only had 2 interviews so far, left 25+ CVs and applied to 20+ online
>will have to spend more money on printing CVs although they are not allowed to take it because of GDPR, but that's my only chance of surviving

I could still ask my parents to send me some money to buy a ticket back to my country, but I'd rather just have enough to pay rent and food here than go back. Back home everyone asks for free shit, either helping them with their shitty programming tests they can't pass, doing their "can't fail" and "I got connections" startup ideas for free, or just making free websites for them for which they can't pay me at the moment (ever).

Why don't I just kill myself?
My only chance in ever changing my life is if my recruitment agent manages to pull off what he is completely sure will work. He is trying to land me a job as an embedded systems programmer in a company that does IP communications, he is sure I'll get the job, but 2 weeks have passed and no response from the company yet.
Otherwise I'll just hope for a job at Domino's or McDonald's and never even think of changing the job.

Unemployment is as low as it has ever been. You just need to start looking elswhere. Try remote, or 3-12 month project contracts through recruiters and tech consulting firms. If all else fails start getting that 3+ years experience by starting your own consulting llc and find some customers and do some projects.

Yeah, basicly any city with a population over 100,000 will have plenty of cs job oportunities. Then once you get some industry experience you can move to bumble fuck in da woods and work remote of you want.

I'm not rich, upper-middle at best. They're childhood friends.

I'm 24 and still in uni though.

Damn, that sounds like shit.
I thought there is always demand in eastern EU countries for programmers. Maybe your CV is not aligned with the market?

Why call yourself an idiot if you had the highest grades in Uni?

>No
Why not. The "not what we are looking for" is just code for there was someone better. In your case the offer to the other guy probably fell through for whatever reason so they went to their second choice, you. Why turn it down?

Start looking for work and practicing interviews. Don't worry about sucking at it, embrace it and work with it. Interviews are the type of thing where improvement comes from practice.

Is there a local programming group? Most metro areas have some sort of php or javascript programming meetup. Showing up to those and interacting with peopel can help motivate you to learn and also builds cantacts. I did this after teaching myself php for 3 months, got some advice from talking to people, and one guy hired me for his company as a Jr dev and helped mentor me.

Asking for a glass of water once or twice isn't going to threaten anyone

this sadly. it's a world of who you know, not what you know.

lol this

>work one internship
>don't behave like a complete retard and make friends with colleagues/boss
>call them up when you graduate and ask for a reference

I got hired after a phone interview, sight unseen like a mail order bride

If you need to apply to 400 different places you are doing something wrong

>being OK being the second choice

You're overthinking it. Your interviewer won't look back on a positive interview and think "yeah but that water tho".

There are jobs, but the salary isn't great at all. Tax is high, rent and bills are expensive. I worked for 6 months making ~430€ per month and didn't get paid for 4 months, worked 12 hours on average as I was trying to salvage the company (5 workers back then).
Agreed with the ex-boss to just pay me 3 salaries at the start of this year, still didn't get shit. I know he spent ~20k€ in the past year and half.

Basically your choices, at least in my town, are e-commerce, "web dev" (basically installing a CMS and working with front end more than anything else) or mobile app development. There was one company that did .NET, but that's it. I'm not experienced enough to go for some bigger companies that just have offices there. Other towns are similar, the capital does have some nice choices but is much more expensive to live in.

I started programming at an early age, at around 10 or 11, I am 22 at the moment. Getting all points and extras on exams wasn't that hard.
And to be honest, the exams weren't hard at all. Maybe it was a bit challenging to people that never did programming before the University, but I managed to teach them everything they needed in 2-3 weeks. ~20 people got either A or B on their tests after I gave them some lectures, none of them got anything less than that.

Im from Poland, developers easily take 2k+ EUR NET where I work. There is permanent shortage too. People who do shit like consulting with lots of skill and experience can pull in 6k or so.

Your first fuck up was not getting degree. Your second fuck up was working for some local scamming fucks instead of joining foreign company that respects employees rights.
Making living as a dev in eastern yurop is about as easy as it gets, you just dont know how to play the system.

>you just dont know how to play the system

I can't do that one I guess.

All I want right now is any kind of job. Even the interview I had today for a store seems nice at this point (14 hours per week, 9.83€/h, more hours if someone decides to take a day off).
But there's a catch. They will let me know if I got the job, no idea when could that be.

i wanna cry

not that user, but two months later means they're jerking people around, and this may be an indication of how the company will operate

What do you get promoted to in a couple years?

>Im from Poland

why are all the DevOps contractors I've met on £500+ a day Polish? I want to understand