Tfw 130 applications

>tfw 130 applications
>25 interviews
>had to do """"take home assignments"""" for 12 of them which was basically just free unpaid coding work outsourced to me
>still no job

h-how do i make it Jow Forums

Attached: 1520167717307.jpg (900x900, 80K)

Cisco training, just go do it doesn't matter how little you know as long as you have it on your resume it's golden, even though you'll never config a switch.

Welcome to the club faggot

>tfw code interview
>"write a for loop"
>"ok now write a loop with an external variable"
>"i dont have time for more, you seem preety good!"
Common user, you should not take homework

>be a retarded onions drinking faggot
>live in CA or NYC or Chicago
>wtf why are all these companies so shitty
>wtf it's not like they're overpopulated and theres traffic jams every 5 seconds and buying a house is totally not affordable or anything
>maybe I should move somewhere else? Nah, I'll complain on Jow Forums about doing work for free lol
Retard

Get on my level faggot.
>compsci degree, good gpa, projects, etc
>6 years unemployed
>thousands of applications
>2 video interviews in the past year
>both agree that I'm competent but wouldn't hire me
>vast majority of places summarily dismiss my applications
Currently programming a viable automated stock market strategy for myself so I can just ignore all this bullshit from now on. It's showing promise.

The tech industry is a complete dumpster fire. It has been for the last ten years. I'm just mad my 5 year contract is coming to a close. I doubt I'll ever get a contract like that again in the industry. I'm so fucked in a couple months because I know they wont resign with me when they can pawn off the work to 25 interviewees just like you, and soon to be me. Before hiring some fresh kid for basically minimum wage

Attached: Rypj8tX.jpg (1200x900, 113K)

It kinds of justify itself when the minimum wages is 6 figures.

Keep us updated on progress user
God speed.

>he still hasn't figured out insider traders are just gonna suck up all his capital
I've had this idea for a couple years now of building a simulation to figure out how the level of knowledge about the underlying asset value correlates with expected returns under different kind of knowledge distributions. If anyone wants to steal the idea for his research paper I'm fine with it.
I suspect all the alpha gets sucked up by a few insiders and everybody else just loses money by trying to time the market.

Attached: 1539410690889.jpg (1280x936, 102K)

>shit gpa
>no knowledge
>got hired after the first interview

Feels good to be a third-worlder.

Not even in CA its not

This.

Laughing at all you unemployed westerners.

Attached: 1447450593221.png (604x717, 814K)

Lmao, it's gonna fail and you'll end up working at McDonals's.
Screencap this.

Jokes on you. McDonalds has already rejected me. Multiple times.

Any stuff you'd recommend reading up to getting into stock automation?

learn stock trading

Nothing specific, but I would highly recommend finding complete daily historical price data, announcement data, technical indicator data, etc first for whatever exchange you're looking at. Then you can test strategies and ideas on that until you come up with something that works. You'll need a general understanding of statistics and programming of course.

If there was a way to algorithmicaly pump out money from the stock market, everybody would be doing it. You're not special, you would be competing with other tens of thousands of programmers (literally, if not even more, some of them individually dumping hundreds of millions of dollars into their orders) trying to do the exact same thing (except some of them much more effectively, having advanced maths and statistics training and locating their machines meters away from the exchange), driving the price towards the real value of the asset and removing the exploitable inefficiency in the market.

See It's a fools errand, you're competing with teams of math PhDs with access to GPU clusters, corporate and social media analytics and tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars in available capital, meaning they DO move the market away from the inefficiency even before you get the price data through your shitty connection with tens of miliseconds of latency.

Are you pulling my leg?

I've switched to ITSM from a UX design education and they're drowning me with Cisco courses, are they that acknowledged??

>hft removes all inefficiency
>every stock is always forced to perfect market price instantly by all the traders trying to make a buck
Keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile, I've already worked out a viable way of making a profit. Just at the point of analysing expected occurrence distribution and live testing now.

my nibbas, jobs are literally thrown at us.
enjoy globalism ameritards

Have you considered hopping on the fullstack website maintainer train?
Basically going making and maintaining websites for local businesses, cafes, bars, undertakers, tattoostudios? Also a bit od search opimization and marketing?

A friend of mine is a retard with no school degree or anything. He just made websites for local businesses, as stated above, toghether with a maintaining contract where they have to pay him a monthly fee of like $100.

He now has enough income and basically does nothing.

Also your stories kept me from quitting my automotive engineering job and go back to uni for CS, so thanks for that.

Attached: 1280px-Eraserhead.jpg (1280x1687, 488K)

did I mention he has no idea about computers, networking or programming? He just uses Wordpresstier pre built solutions and its fine for everyone.

I've thought about doing something like that.
Just making a couple themes then customizing them a bit for each client.
For 99% of businesses, they just need a static website to advertise their business or show hours/locations.

The only problem is that I hate web design.

How profitable is selling partly working bots and indicators on Metatrader Market or similar?

I know someone like this.
He is so autistic that he leaves a huge spaghetti trail wherever he goes. He's a nice guy but he simply cannot with people. All his interviews were actually just a formality after they discovered his skill but he fucked up all of them.

>bachelor on electric/electronic engineering
>masters on optical networks
>some papers published, not amazing papers but at least something
>still can't find a job
I feel like killing myself.

>being dumb enough to do free work
Yo, Einstein! It's fine to show example work but for fucks sake don't do free work. You are worth more than doing shit for free. Stand up for yourself and tell them if they want their work done they need to hire you. No wonder you can't find work. You don't value your time enough.

Not him, but how do you get clients? I'm not good at the conversation thing.

Where you live?

Brazil, unfortunately.

F

Well that guy I'm talking about is very good at direct conversation.

- He has a polished website about his services (this website is search optimized so it gets top google result when someone in his area searches for a website service)
- He has friends working at bars, gyms, yoga studios etc. A lot comes from that
- He identifies when a local business does not have a website and contacts them either personally or by phone. For some time he even hired someone to call local businesses without websites for him.

Its really not rocket science but it's easier when you're a good looking, conversational and greedy person.

Pro-Mode:
Contract out online shopping solutions, theres good pre-built solutions for that too.

to be honest idk how many websites he's "maintaining" but 100 a month for a website isn't very much :/ He could earn that much per hour as a php freelancer

That's why you choose engineering rather than (((computer science))).

Did they say why they wouldn't hire you, or are you conveniently forgetting to mention that you're a disgusting slob?

Just join the caravan and get into US.

Yes but PHP freelancing requires actual skill and your existence depends on few large projects. Aquirering new projects is also a lot harder.

How do you get engineering job as a junior, though? Most listings are looking for seniors.

Do long internships during studies, apply with experience out of these internships after uni.
At least that worked for me. I wrote one application after uni and got hired in automotive, open-ended contract.
My internship job asked me to abort my studies and start immediately which I declined.

Nice. Have one internship left, will do. Wasted two of them on kinda cool, but really dead project, which for some reason really attracts profs, with not enough experience gains to justify lack of contacts. Although now I try to make some acquaintances with local companies, hope some will respond.

chemE here
>graduated in 2012
>one application, one interview they flew me out for and put me in a hotel for the weekend after the Friday interview "so you can see the city" with $200/day per diem, one offer that I negotiated the salary and vacation up on

>fast forward 3.5 years, wanna move away from the city I was in
>one application, one interview they flew me out for and put me in a hotel for the weekend after the Friday interview "so you can see the city" with $200/day per diem, one offer that I negotiated the salary and vacation up on

feels fucking elite, man
y'all niggas in the wrong field.

Attached: 6snap-140217-120725.jpg (768x1280, 209K)

Christ I'm glad I decided not to go into anything tech related.

Various transparently bullshit reasons, such as distance (I'm willing to relocate and have the money to do so), they weren't really hiring anyway even though they gave me an interview, etc. I'm more fit than most people, I'm not ugly, I have good hygiene, and dress professionally for interviews, so it isn't any of that. According to other phone screens and email exchanges a lot of companies won't touch me because I have no industry experience and I've been unemployed for so long. Which are also stupid reasons, but those are the excuses they tell me.

I'm not joining those filth. Also, I'm getting my euro citizenship, I'll be fine.

And to make that much you need to live in places with retardedly high costs of living plus sky high state income tax rates.

There is a way, it's called high frequency trading. The only problem is that in order for it to be viable you need to be a brokerage / market maker in your own right and be directly linked up to the exchanges you trade on so you don't pay any fees per trade other than those mandated by the exchanges themselves. You need several 10's of millions of dollars to even try to set up a HFT firm.

I think it's the individual, and not the field. I've seen unanimously online that chem e has barely any jobs for fresh grads, yet your the exception.
Then at my school, I didn't know anyone who had a hard time finding a job who majored in cs, yet Jow Forums says it is impossible.
Then I'm ee, got offers with defense contractors right off the bat (but those don't count), then had a handful of interviews, sent out 100+ applications to 20 companies, and didn't get a job till 4 months after graduation.

HFT is not viable for a normal lone trader. Have to stick to day, swing, or position trading.

this. based and redpilled

>I've seen unanimously online
I can tell you from within industry there are TONS of jobs available fresh out of school for chemEs. Sure you may have to live on a rig for 6 months, or you might have to live in the gulf region or in the middle of nowhere in Texas, but they're out there.
One problem I can agree with is that too many chemE programs are out there. Highly respected Div 1 STEM schools (VT, GT, CalTech, etc) graduates will always get a job.

It's also the location. I'm in the tech backwater called Australia and have no interest in moving to the US or Europe. This doesn't help me.

>have no interest in moving
Kind of your own problem then.

okay, then I guess those people complaining are like this guy then

For christs sake don't confuse the terms all over again.
Algo trading ≠ High frequency trading

HFT is something you will never experience because you need a server close to the wall street and access to an special api you will never get in your lifetime. Its literally microsecond trading.

Algorithmic trading is when you write intelligent algorithms that do trading decisions for you. Using normal api's or webscraped interfaces or even just as an indicator and still trade "by hand".

I made a program that checks amazon warehouse for drops in price, compares it to every other site, and sees if it’s a good deal.

HFTs use algos to trade though, no human could react that quickly. It's literally THE ONLY VIABLE FORM OF TRADING USING ALGORITHMS.

Moving halfway around the world or to a surveillance police state are not reasonable things to do in order to get a job.

agreed, HFT can be considered as a special subset of algorithmic trading for the chosen few

>Graduate with a BS in IT
>Graduated in May
>Still interviewing/looking for work
>Not even an autist

>Friend graduates with a BA in journalism
>Hired in marketing making good money before he even graduated

I made a mistake. He's doing more tech work than I am at my SHITTY store job.

Attached: RAGE.jpg (900x900, 75K)

I hope you are baiting. If you dont have the people skills to get a job, you dont have the skills to get others people money which is actually what makes you successful in finance. Sorry user to crush your dreams, better make it in crypto and hope for the best.

>free unpaid coding work
>coding
I wouldn't hire you either.

I won't argue with you, we all weigh things differently in our lives.
I often wonder if Business major with a cs minor is enough to get a cool high paying job.

Hahahaha. Nope. You sound like you're in a little bit of denial there. The reasons why most people don't bother include conventional wisdom, the increased risk compared to regular employment, and the fact that they aren't instant get rich quick schemes.

1 interview, got a job, thanks CS degree

Seems like you picked the wrong major if you wanted to find employment locally then. Either move somewhere where your degree / skills are in demand, find a job somewhere that doesn't require a specific degree, or do some research on what sort of degrees / training are required for the jobs that are available in your area and then go get one of those degrees or certifications.

It literally does not matter. If you act professional, like what you do and network well, you can work in fucking anything. My friend learned HTML, CSS and JS and now he's a web developer on top of marketing. Fucking bullshit. Yes I am salty.

IMAGINE HAVING TO WORK. id kill myself

Attached: BXGV6Ru.jpg (1000x800, 60K)

>working on Associate's in "software engineering"
>will probably just end up as an IT drone at the local hospital

Attached: 1506520407997.png (426x364, 9K)

Are you coming to Portugal?

>130 applications
>25 interviews
Fake and gay.

Do you live in some random suburb? Curious if that's why

yeah man like you're the first one to come up with such brilliant idea lmao

Well, I'm from a Spanish family, so either Spain or Portugal for now. But I'm OK with any place that accepts English speaking workers.

Yes. I put graduation off a semister just because some places cream over even a CCNA.

I know you probably exaggerated your resume to get them (You)s, but
>be me, dude in tech/IT department
>be "observer" in job interviews because HR cant into technology and we dont want to hire a compsci undergrad that cannot do a forloop
>basically just be there and ask the tech related questions
>half the interviews are either very unpleasant scrawny kids or morbidly obese.
>
>"It says here you have your CEH. Can you tell us more about your skills?"

>Telecomms engineering seen as "CS for smart people" in my cuntry
>can work as telecomm
>also hired as anything CS related
Really makes you think

EE is superior CS

I wish that was my case. Instead CS people are getting the jobs just because I have an engineer degree.
Getting into telecom pretty much fucked up all my chances of getting a job in my third world shithole.

There’s no point trying to help obstinate retards.

HFT doesnt try to predict prices moron

>130 applications

People say this like it's a lot, but how long does it take you to "submit" an application if your resume is already complete? 10 minutes? If so that means it would take about 22 hours, or approximately 3 hrs a day for 1 week.

POO IN LOO

>every stock is always forced to perfect market price instantly by all the traders trying to make a buck

that's what I was thinking, if this were true how does anyone make any money at all?

Been employed nearly two years now. Will have ~40k in my 401k in the 18 months I've been eligible for it. Almost have enough in my savings fund. Feels nice.

>bragging about profit on paper
>hasn't actually made a single penny
Sure, anyone can turn a profit in paper, especially if you're using old data when it was easier to find inefficiencies because computational power was much lower. But let me know how that goes when your stop orders fail to work, your market orders get delayed, the bid–ask spread gets wider in just the right moment to erase your profits, etc.
I mean there's nothing wrong with trying except that you're wasting your time, just make sure that those jews don't get too much of your money.

Oh, and I forgot to include overfitting. That's the bane of every algo trader, so I hope you tested your algo on plenty of unseen validation data.

Not just hft. Why are you ignoring that they have GPU clusters (probably some have whole fucking datacenters), teams of all kinds of PhDs and people who were doing this shit for all their lives, and basically unlimited access to capital?

Sure, but that's not what some random unemployed programmer is talking about when he talks about making a livelihood with "algorithmic trading".

Any kind of trading is just about removing inefficiencies. I'm not saying for instance that all of Renaissance's strategies NEED a fast link to the exchange. But if they DO need it, the can have it no problem. It's just one more advantage they have over you.

Maybe, but even if some non HFT strategies ARE viable (say with some deep learning or research level statistics magic), they're gonna be exploited by the big boys faster and better than by some random programmer working alone, thus removing the opportunity for everybody else.

Literally the only way to make money with trading is to predict prices. HFT just uses the fact that they're closer to predict what others will do upon seeing the information that they already have because of their closer link. They're basically front-running other algo traders.

By having hundreds of brains working on it, microwave links to the exchange, social media analytics feeds, basically unlimited capital and a couple datacenters working overtime to crack patterns in the market. And that's not including insider trading.
It's not impossible, it's just that you're gonna be the one getting the short end of the stick no matter what you do (unless you have insider info).

I forgot to mention too that they have lower commissions and a more detailed volume and market depth data.

he doesn't have to beat top quants, he just has to beat everyone else who is not a quant

Australia is a surveillance police state as well mate. I'd rather live in the USA than this bloody shithole.

>Graduate in 2017
>Apply to like 5 places
>2 of them get back to me, get the job at 1 of them
>Job turns out to be shit in the long run
>Apply for a single other job, which is remote
>Get it
I don't seem to have this problem.

Attached: 1432860473790.jpg (643x546, 59K)

based hirable user

same
I tried to get hired at defense corps so that I could contribute to purging America's enemies but didn't get in, so I settled for the $100k cushy job that is probably not great in the long term

everyone who is not a quant is already being beaten by the quants. he'll just have his money stolen with a false promise of profit

Getting 25 interviews out of 25 applications is pretty good. However, failing 25 interviews means you seriously need to reevaluate your approach to technical interviews.

Get better grades

truth

25 out of 130*

Reiterating, you seem to be getting noticed just fine. Reflect on where your interviews went wrong - was it during whiteboarding (in person) or through online challenges/take homes?

The good news is that getting noticed is the hard part, and passing coding challenges is the easier part. Study CTCI and grind out hackerrank/leetcode challenges.