What do you say, is he right?

What do you say, is he right?

Attached: 12-35-43.png (763x340, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TVHcdgrqbHE
ubuntu.com/support
redhat.com/en/store/red-hat-enterprise-linux-desktop-or-red-hat-enterprise-linux-workstation
suse.com/products/desktop/
ubuntu.com/support/plans-and-pricing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't speak pajeet. What is he trying to say?

No. letting corporations into Linux was a huge fucking mistake and we're going to extremely regret it, very soon.

youtube.com/watch?v=TVHcdgrqbHE

We can always fork it, never forget that kiddo. Just because you are fed shit doesn't mean that you can't refuse being fed shit.

Not if GPL is extinguished.

of course its Pajeet mundu.
they would like microsoft to be the official indian government.
more power to microsoft!
microsoft is life, M$ is love.
M$ gave their people work, and money to not spend on toilet paper.

He's not wrong

Attached: X68000-3.jpg (800x600, 62K)

That is literally impossible, you'd have to ask every person on the planet who has submitted code to a specific module if they would be ok with license adjustments.

There's literally no way of a single company reverting something like that, not with the GPL.
If you honestly believe this utter nonsense than you have not understood a thing about GPL or open source.

>That is literally impossible
Have you asked VMWare?

>an leader
Yes, this man is intelligent.

> a single company
Yeah, so ten or so companies who all stand to benefit from making linux entirely proprietary software shared only among each other will collude to make it happen instead.

Wrong.
watch the video.

>i-it it isn't p-possible.. guys.. g-guys? hello? iit i-isn't p-possible r-right?
they've done it before, dumbass

Aside from Pajeet's nonsense, we could probably benefit from an organised effort in the OSS community. Right now we have thousands of devs competing to develop the same basic thing, but they could probably cooperate and make a top notch product à la macOS

I came into this thread to post exactly this.
This is exactly what he was fucking warning us about
>Le just fork it
Try stripping out all the shit that's already made it into the kernel.

I unironically think that Microsoft should buy Linux.

Partially, if Ubuntu was sold and had paid support, with no doubts it would be more popular than it is now.

>if Ubuntu ... had paid support
ubuntu.com/support

Of course I'm taking about Windows like support, not something for enterprises. No one would pay to use Ubuntu on enterprises in a world that Redhat exists anyway.

>Windows like support, not something for enterprises
?

I mean lets get real for a moment. You install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember. Biggest base linuxes are about 1 gigabytes or 2 while windows 10 can be more than 5 gigabytes of data. And what happens when you open them. On linux there are about 2 functional buttons, 3 are nonfunctional and in those two buttons there are some pictures to play with. Maybe slide down or up. On windows though, you feel like a god. Its professional its fast, its all functional. You have a godlike user interface. The thing that linux does not have. You have those two buttons in linux, but you still search google for codes to write in terminal. Linux is free because its not worth a penny. Nobody would sell a paper without taking the money. Just not sure why people still buy android while windows phone does 10 times more. Trust me. When you work with windows you know some genius ground breaker dedicated himself to give you an operational os

>Windows like support,
What kind of support exactly?

ofcourse its the linux sucks forever talk.

Every user that bought a Windows machine can call Microsoft and ask for help or just post on their official support. It never helps, but makes normalfags feel safer.

red hat was already bought by oracle

>open source.
The GPL is actuall a free software licence, not an open source one.

i've never once considered calling microsoft for help, even when i was younger and didn't know shit
i didn't know you didn't need some kind of support plan for it, though

epic gamer game is epic!

Not to mention that Microsoft has tons of step by step articles on how to solve common issues on their website, which helps people who aren't "advanced users" to fix their shit. In the other hand, Ubuntu feels like it's just some hobby project or just something that professionals would use, with little to no user support. In my opinion this is one of the main reasons that Ubuntu is not mainstream yet, because otherwise it would be a nice distro for cheap facebook laptops.

non-existent except for one paragraph per error code that does nothing to explain how to actually solve the problem.

I think he's saying that we need a commercial and paid for Linux distro that will get polished and supported by the software giants into an easy to use, popular and widely adopted product.

Which I honestly agree with.

>in a world that Redhat exists anyway.

Why won't they make a comercial home use OS?

>we need a commercial and paid for Linux
Who is this "we"?

redhat.com/en/store/red-hat-enterprise-linux-desktop-or-red-hat-enterprise-linux-workstation
suse.com/products/desktop/
ubuntu.com/support/plans-and-pricing

Attached: RHEL_Workstation_ProductBox-sm_0.png (220x330, 52K)

>we
The people, indeed.

The linux in it's scurrent state as a DESKTOP os lacks integrity in it's development.
There's X, there's wayland, there's gnome, there's other shit, everything is broken in a different way, nothing just works.

You currently cant have correctly working per monitor scaling, unless you consider raster upscaling in wayland.
But even if you did gnome on wayland is fucked, at least on ubuntu. KDE still doesn't like wayland either.

I think only a centralized large and well funded organization could provide a comportable user enviroment (see Windows, Mac OS, android, and Chrome OS) which is necessary to attract the normies to use it because it just works.
And the normies are necessary to get software support.
Without any significant market share companies have no reason to spend money supporting the OS. Hell we even lost the Siemens NX support. It was a native Linux application that got ported to windows and then dumped linux.

>we
Are you the ambassador for all of humanity?
What an honor to have you here on this humble board, Sir.

>an easy to use, popular and widely adopted product.
Why do "we" want that, let alone "need" that?

what kind of companies put their employees on a multi monitor setup?

Also what do you need multiple monitors with different DPI for?

Attached: jeff dean single monitor.jpg (1200x801, 203K)

>Why do "we" want that, let alone "need" that?

If there was a sizable demand (the normies) for sortware support on Linux there would be a supply. Because the companies aren't evil, just greedy.

You would get engineering, and graphical software support, adobe products, if you wanted any, games, and even better drivers, VMs and display servers if there were actual money to be made in it.

>When I was a kid I called microsoft and spent over an hour on the phone trying to get them to help me when windows died after an update

one large 4k monitor for the main viewport, another smaller panele for reference images.

I'm an artist.

Why not get two monitors with identical PPI?

Security lol, and anything to do with graphics, art, or 3d.

>>If there was a sizable demand (the normies) for sortware support on Linux there would be a supply.
What software that I want doesn't already support linux? So far you've listed none, including your ambiguous "driver support" (my hardware is already supported.)

The way I see it, mainstream appeal is a devils bargain; with it you get mainstream bullshit. If you want a "mainstream" distribution of the linux kernel then use ChromeOS or Android, both of which are designed for mainstream appeal and both of which are hostile to the interests of technical users. I don't want to use a system like that, I like what I have right now. And you are failing utterly to convince me otherwise.

I'll take things that never happened for 10

>Microshit
>polished software

Attached: 1537917430690.png (496x560, 484K)

That's not how greentext works, retard.

It would be bad for Ubuntu but good for pimux imo. Perhaps it would encourage Microsoft to develop more of their products for Linux which are industry standards, like office suite and especially excel.

I want a distro that is adopted by a sizable amount of people to exist and drive the wider support from the companies. Unreal engine supports devkit supports mac but doesn't support Linux.
Don't like it - don't use it. You'll benefit indirectly from the fact that it exists.
There's no divil's bargain since your Arch isn't going anywhere either.

Mac?

I wish Mac os wasn't tied to bad hardware.

Fuchisa is coming, except it's not Linux and is developed by the literal Evil corporation, but at least it's licensed under MIT and Apache and is going to have Linux compatibility layer.

>>I want a distro that is adopted by a sizable amount of people to exist and drive the wider support from the companies.
Yeah that's fine, YOU want that. I don't and many other people don't. I think you're naive for wanting that.

Hopefully in the future you will refrain from saying things like:
>we need a commercial and paid for Linux distro

Because "we" neither need nor want anything of the sort. "You" is not "we".

But why does he mention microsoft? Windows is free (as in free of charge)

>hostile to the interests of technical users
Can you point me in the direction of a piece of software for Linux that can prove perform short circuit and arc flash analysis for power distribution systems? How about lighting design software? Can I program Siemens and Allen-Bradley PLCs with Linux?

Does this mean that Linux is hostile to me as a technical user?

No, I think it means you have your head up your ass and don't understand what it means for an OS to have mainstream adoption and the benefits of that. I'd love to use Linux as my main OS for every computer I use, but I need to run AutoCAD, SKM, RSLogix, and AGi32, just to name a few, and I'm not aware of any good alternatives for Linux.

>(see Windows, Mac OS, android, and Chrome OS)
Can you please just use one of those then, instead of trying to change mine?

It's shit though.
but the user enviroment is unironically ahead of anything Linux have, mostly due to the fact both X and Wayland are shit.

OK :)

One for the game
another for obs
another for twitch chat/notifications

>Windows is free (as in free of charge)
Pardon?

Did you even read the question?

Why are you blaming Linux for this? You're barking up the wrong tree
>mostly due to the fact both X and Wayland are shit
Mind explaining why?

10 rupees have been deposited in your account, Rajesh.
Make sure you don't spend them all!

Two 32" 4K panels would be expensive and occupy too much space, finding an arm that would fit two of these would be an issue.

So get a second, smaller monitor with identical PPI.

>Why are you blaming Linux for this?
If you read and understood my post, you'd know that I'm not blaming Linux, but I am saying that the situation would be improved by widespread adoption of Linux and support from industry leaders. Just the context of this reply chain, you know, no big deal.

The same PPI =/= the same size

You seem to think that Linux gaining wider adoption will magically port all of those programs you need for you, well guess what? The only ones who can make it happen is the companies behind these programs.

No but if "we" turn GNU/Linux into Windows, maybe they will!

>Mind explaining why?
Sure
>screen tearing
>inb4 use AMD
I do, it may appear randomply after i closed an app that used Vsynch.
I have all kinds of screen terain, sometimes i don't have it, sometimes on a secondary monitor, sometimes on both,
>no per monitor scaling
Wayland can literally use raster upscaling for my main panel, but honestly it's the same as running a 4k panel with 1080p resolution
>treating the entire output space as a sungle picture
For X there aren't two monitor, it thinks there's one big monitor, to make a dring tablet only work with the main monitor I had to fuck around in terminal and set X input device number dev654SHIT564FUCK65 to work from a pixel XY up to the pixel X1Y1 and to additionally fuck with it even more to scale the output since the tablets are traditionally 16:10 and the monitor is 16:9 and you can't have uneven output.

I didn't find a smal enough,m good enough and cheap enough monitor with 140ppi.

And honestly back then I used Windows so it didn't concern me. It is only a linux problem.

The companies will port their soft to any platform that has a userbase.

The only reason they don't do it right now is because it's a finansial loss, but if there were people to pay for it there will be a merchant to sell it.

Adobe, Solidworks, Autodesk and other don't have an evil agenda to proliferate Windows. They just make money from the people who pay.

>Autodesk
does offer software for Linux, though.

>The only ones who can make it happen is the companies behind these programs
Right, and they're going to do a cost benefit analysis of developing support for any platform. If, say, they see that very few people even use a particular operating system, they won't spend the money to develop for that OS, since they won't recoup the costs. If, on the other hand, the OS is fairly popular, they may very well decide to support it. It's not magic, it's pretty basic economics and I'm seriously surprised you have such an uneducated opinion on the topic.

Autodesk is an evil octopus that buys any worthwhile startup and integrates it into their ecosystem like the Borg of the IT world.

AFAIK their most important products are mac and windows only.

RHEL, SLE

Examples?

>Right, and they're going to do a cost benefit analysis of developing support for any platform.
Anyone who knows anything about programming would know that a project that consists of standards compliant code should be easily portable across OSes that has support for the language it's written in, frankly if your company even have to do a cost analysis to provide releases for multiple OS you need to fire your code monkeys, tightly coupling your commercial project to one OS' API is probably the most retarded thing to do.

Maya and AutoCAD are in Linux

And those companies have no insentive to spend the money porting it to an operating system with such a small market share to their targeted consumers. So like everyone has already fucking said and is implied, getting a high functioning Normie distro brings in market share which brings insentive to companies porting software. At the same time, it also encourages alternatives being generated when companies don't port, but that insentive still needs to exist. For example, video editing is dog shit on Linux, horrible support all around, the only viable editor being KDELive which isn't valid for production editing, and DaVinci Resolve, which has its own issues and horrible support for Linux. That keeps any professional video editors from making the switch to Linux. You could argue that it doesn't matter because Linux isn't targeted towards video editors, but isn't that like, a really retarded argument? Why are we gate keeping? We are all for getting people switching to Linux for gaming, but when they have a genuine excuse related to work, we exclude them?

>enterprise
Narrow use case OS specialized just for IT.
They aren't intended for the domestic normie use like Mac OS or wangblows, and don't attract a sizeable userbase to the platform.

Pajeet is talking about a normie OS for the 99.9% of people.
And honestly, Android fucking exists and is popular, so there's that.
I wish some company took ubuntu and polished it for PC use, i'd pay for it.

>microsoft
>optimized
No, he is not.
Anyone has that screen cap with how it works in Microsoft and their policy to never touch what works.

Surprised to see Maya, Autocad doesn't currntly support Linux though.

If it ever did, it's probably some ancient version.

True those companies are retarded and brain dead, what's new? Doesn't change the issue. To be fair though, cross platform is only now becoming a mainstream thing really. Some of these programs are just really old code bases from back when that shit was normal. I don't understand companies like Adobe though, which already have both windows and apple version, they donate a shit ton to the Linux foundation, and create mobile versions of their software and a bunch of shit like that, but aren't capable of porting to Linux? What are they scared of? Piracy? That's a joke.

What's with Jow Forums and victim blaming? Linux is the victim here, these companies only have themselves to blame for shitting out projects that are tightly coupled to Windows' API which means they have to waste time and money bringing their products to other OSes, Linux has good support for every language under the sun, so why is there so many Windows exclusive programs? Because Windows is a walled garden.

I wouldn't start with Ubuntu or Pajeet$oft. Start with Gentoo... and developers that are going to be able to give paying customers a secure and anonymous OS experience. I'd gladly hand over $50-$100 for that desktop experience.

Attached: loo.jpg (597x799, 103K)

>windows in 45 minutes
If you have the drivers

Chrome OS is based off Gentoo

Booh fucking who. You cry about work that needs to be done to fix something? You don't want a solution, you want a problem so you can cry about it over and over again.

Fuck off with your childish faggotry.

They can not revoke GPL without all parties that were and are involved in the project. Even if you changed just added a validation that's 2 lines to fix a bug, you have contributed code that is under your own copyright with the GPL license.

They have done it when and where?

Read the license, this topic has been discussed multiple times ever since big corps got into it. v2 leaves it open for contributors to change licensing to copyleft alternatives, whereas v3 does not. And even if the LF would demand to change license to introduce a less open version of the kernel, it would still require all past and present participants approval.

>Why are you blaming Linux for this? You're barking up the wrong tree

Currently existing OS on linux Kernel make zero effort to extend the normie adoption. Somebody needs to make a MacOS-like user enviroment-ecosystem where everything is easy, pleasant, pretty and just works, and the terminal exists but the normies don't even know that.

Then you get the normies, and with the normies you get the software.

>MacOS-like user enviroment-ecosystem where everything is easy
Computing isn't easy dipshit, that's why Mactoddlers fall for the same scam over and over again. You are being told things are a certain way without knowing even half of what a specific technology implies.

Your comment is outrageously stupid

I've never used it but isn't that basically what elementary is trying to do

t.literal autist

Computing is so hard I bought a computer to do it for me.
And if using a household appliance isn't easy then said appliance sucks.

Go punch a punchcard faggot,
Keyboards make it too easy, what are you a pleb?

your?
Linus what are you doing there?

It'll be in my autobiography as my most shameful moment, thus it's a quote

> I mean lets get real for a moment. You install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same
>and for most linuxes its about the same
>about the same
>45 minutes to install Linux
lmao

>what is red hat
WE
THE PEOPLE

Attached: jqc0jq19l8hpr3lzay05.jpg (350x456, 34K)

i installed linux in like 7 minutes last time i did it
also i miss os/2 warp 4

>using red poojeet
>ever