What do you think of Haskell?

What do you think of Haskell?

Attached: file.png (643x454, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Microsoft/visualfsharp/pull/5482
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's based and redpilled

a meme

maybe I just haven't used it enough but I really don't like the syntax. I get it's supposed to be like traditional math syntax but I don't really like that either.

also, implementing currying as multi-parameter functions as a chain of functions rather than steadily building a tuple of inputs feels wrong.

Pretty comfy to write if you're not concerned about performance. One of the tersest and most expressive languages out there.

If you are though, laziness will come and bite you in the ass.

Its cool, and I haven't fully learned it yet, but I've already done a lot of scientific computing in C as well as C++ so I know how to design and write performant code in this space - I don't see myself using Haskell regularly any time soon. I see it as a tool to ease mathematicians into programming, but not necessarily all that useful if you already know your way around code.

A good example for how you can fail when neglecting the details and implementation.

Most beautiful code I've ever seen and written.
It's elegant as fuck, but trying to do stateful things (e.g. almost anything useful) is very difficult (yet possible).

why is haskell so shilled on Jow Forums ? I quite like erlang but there are hardly any threads about erlang ever, it hardly ever even gets mentioned in general programming/g threads?

Attached: thumb_Erlang_GA.jpg (340x205, 29K)

bump

Haskell has a nicer logo

The way it handles exceptions is clunky, yet every fucking major library makes exceptions a core part of its API

Bloated, slow, spits out huge binaries, why do people use this?

lisp is better

Used to use SML back in the day, functional languages are so comfy

What functional language has best performance these days?

Can I use hash tables yet?

I like Erlang, but it isn't main stream or popular enough to be shilled constantly here.

Interesting language but far slower than it's proponents like to admit and the record and module systems are objectively atrocious. Laziness by default was a huge mistake and even SPJ admits this now. The fact that everyone uses their own set of language extensions that often interact in weird ways is also terrible. It has absolutely no chance of ever being popular but it will heavily influence other languages.

>What functional language has best performance these days?
Ocaml if you don't care about multitcore performance. It's stupid fast. It has one of the best garbage collectors ever made. They're working on multicore support but isn't done yet.

Typeclasses are the shit, but forced purity is trash. The gc should collect itself since it's so bad. OCaml is more practical and the libraries for haskell are usually pretty shoddy if they're maintained at all. Default laziness is no good because it makes reasoning about program performance basically impossible, and makes ridiculously hard to debug bugs easy to produce.
It's much less verbose than OCaml on account of being better designed as a language though.
Overall, a mediocre language with great potential that nobody plans to ever unlock.

Erlang is verbose and has shit syntax. It's pretty slow and it can't do shared-memory parallelism. Its gc is pretty awful, too. Overall, it serves niches meaningless to Jow Forums, and then it barely does.

It's userland is totally dead so it's a pain to make software intended to be used.

>They're working on multicore support but isn't done yet.
They've said that since 1996.

There's actually a working branch with multicore support right now but yes, take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah but it's actual almost done. They got their asses in gear after f# started stealing their use base.

Great when dealing with huge amounts of data that can easily be parsed like a list, makes it so easy.

Otherwise I prefer normal coding for simplicity sake for most other functions.

>F# started stealing their userbase
And they aren't coming back lmao
How can they compete with enterprise support and interop with .NET libraries?

Ocaml is still faster than .Net for single core performance. If it's the same guys working on multicore support it's probably incredible. Plus f# has shit Linux and OSX support.

>F# has shit Linux and OSX support
Apparently it's on the way
github.com/Microsoft/visualfsharp/pull/5482

Yeah well we'll see who finshes first Microsoft or Ocaml.

either way you have a massive userland gap to cross.
I've never used OCaml and I don't know how easy it is to develop real applications for, but if my experience with Haskell is any indication for FP languages then it isn't looking good.

Haskell is like the special needs kid of the functional languages family. It's not representative of anything.