/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: iec.png (794x586, 542K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/beyerdynamic-1990-Studio-Reference-Headphones/dp/B079TRN89T?th=1
hifishark.com/
archimago.blogspot.com/2013/03/measurements-hunt-for-load-induced.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital#DSD_vs._PCM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for beyer

Second for atom-chan!

I hate those earbuttplugs. Will never let them close to my ears. Fuck them.

Upboat this comment if you think the previous thread is better.

Fifth for first posting is autism

Sixth for fuck off

planning on buying sennheiser hd 579 headphones this weekend. anyone have any idea if it would be better to buy now at $75 off for $125(amazon), or wait till black friday or perhaps even the cyber monday thing?

Looking for chi-fi IEM $50-$70 that has a neutral response other than increased low bass.

amazon.ca/beyerdynamic-1990-Studio-Reference-Headphones/dp/B079TRN89T?th=1
I feel that I don't need this expensive of an amp to go with these headphones, but buying amps in Canada is fucking annoying for some reason, almost no selection. Whats good enough to power these bad boys?

are sennheiser cx 1, 2, 3 any good for the price? im from europe, going to put them in smartphone mostly and dont want to spend more than 20 - 30$

Attached: _original_drawn_by_yomu_sgt_epper_a169d006a4e999ce52df31a058d503d8_2.png (806x1134, 790K)

hifishark.com/
Search through here and you should find a few Canadian listings if you at least know what you have in mind.

Attached: 1536983477399.jpg (500x514, 27K)

god damn why is 2d so much better than 3d?
Just go through all the good amps and see if you can get them in canada. Basically if its ran off a wall wart and not usb power it will almost certainly have enough to run the dt1990 but still double check.

this OP sucks where anime feet?

well to be honest I really don't, I've been using an old Hitachi I got from my father all these years and I'm not sure what the good amps *are*. I'm thinking about an o2 but the shipping costs might make it just as expensive as the 500$ beyer amp anyways.

Also I know DT1990s are a studio headphone but there are no downsides for casual listening right? I do some mixing but it'll be mostly for listening and I wanted a more neutral sound so 1990 seemed like a good choice.

>triple flange and shure's yellow foam is the only tips that stay in my ear

Attached: IMG_3964.jpg (1280x720, 115K)

Further confirming your idiocy there. Your tears are delicious.

Schiit has customer service that has told their customers to fuck off and stop buying their products. Blind testing has found you won't tell the difference between 10 opamps and zero
Promptly gas yourself

Why do you post here fuccboi? You are unwelcome. I hope you hang yourself on live stream so we can all laugh at you

Whats the big deal why can't some guys like stax and some others like sennheisers without trying to kill each other

If I like SHP9500 comfort and sound signature is there anything worth upgrading to for $200 or should I wait and save up more?

If you really don't know what to get then just grab a new atom from the JDS site since it's the o2's successor as far as reasonably priced multipurpose amps go. It may take a little while for it to get back in stock but it'll only be 140 usd and it'll have ample power for the 1990s. You can pair it with a cheap dac if needed.

Not him but it's a low effort OP. You didn't even get the id right

No way dude you could get a hd650, hd600, dt880, and all kinds of other shit for that money. The shp9500 was a good purchase at it's msrp because it was a nice open back headphone without any glaring flaws, once you go up to $200 it becomes not worth it because there are other headphones that are better.

My hitachi came with a dac so I've always had one, what would I necessarily be losing out on if I didn't get one? If it's not too bad I might get the atom and buy a dac later.

>hd600
$325+$50 shipping on Amazon or $350 locally
>dt880
Now that one I can find for $200 but it's semi-open. What exactly does that mean, can I clearly hear the sounds around me when there's no music playing?

pick those tips in your ugly OP and stick them up your ass then post anime feets you idiot

It's effectively open, just like the shp. Yeah you can hear your surroundings. If you want a hd600 get it on ebay second hand for $180, if you want the hd6xx its on massdrop for $200.

You'd need a DAC to convert digital audio signals (USB, optical) to analog (3.5mm, RCA) to make sure you're not double amping which can cause sound issues. You'd still need to get a DAC if you bought the Beyer amp because it's not a combo unit. A cheap one could do just fine since DACs are generally meant to just do that one job without introducing any extra interference.
I actually don't know how well cheap dacs measure but something poverty level like a fiio D03K would probably be just fine if you don't want to go for something like the topping D10 for now. My setup is going to be a d10 into an atom when it arrives so if you got those we would be twins.

Attached: 1541352167854.gif (100x100, 17K)

Attached: vKDXo.jpg (331x331, 49K)

Amazing...

JDS seems to have a 99$ DAC that seems to go well with the atom, might get that. But I'm not sure if I should get the 139$ optical version or the regular one with just usb. I'm not familiar with any of this shit since my hitachi amp+dac connect to eachother with a massive band that I'm 100% sure isn't used today.

Take pictures of your old setup and the connections, I'm curious now

>buy a couple chink items for the first time in a year
>start get spammed called every morning again
FUCK YOU CHINKS

Attached: 1542591674876m.jpg (724x1024, 83K)

Also, optical is only really necessary if you really want to minimize all electrical interference and don't want to mess with USB drivers at all. USB should work just fine for most use cases.

this user is lying to you by willfully withholding information. no one has ever passed a double blind test to confirm that you can hear the difference between dacs. you don't need to buy a dac, people will try to rope you into buying things you don't need because the same thing happened to them.

I never understood this. Isn't it the same digital signal either way? Why is optical better?

optical has its own power rails vs usb so it's less likely to have grounding issues or noise picked up by your computer. usb is technically superior but it's just not worth it with all the issues you have to deal with when spdif is plug and play (drivers are rock solid too)

USB may add power/ground noise even in discretely powered systems.

>I never understood this. Isn't it the same digital signal either way? Why is optical better?
USB noise. Every DAC I've used with my PC leaks noise from USB, apart from my most recent one (SMSL SU-8) even with a USB ground loop breaker. Usually it sounds like buzzing, humming, or static when it should be silence.

Not being able to tell the difference between dacs (which I agree with you on, by the way) is a separate issue from not needing one at all you fucking dingus.

>is a separate issue from not needing one at all you fucking dingus.
user already has one in his computer and hitachi
>My hitachi came with a dac so I've always had one

I have done so. Believe the model is HPT-10 or something along those lines.

Attached: 20181120_124536.jpg (776x1040, 106K)

The SMSL SU-8 is awesome as fuck. I want it and a THX 789.
So optical is strictly better then?
Is it the best connection for audio in general(vs say something like a pci lane)?

And a picture of the back, which again I don't think is compatible with anything modern.

Attached: 20181120_124603.jpg (776x1040, 171K)

That's why I asked for pictures of the setup, I don't know if it's capable of line out if it's an older combo unit.

>That's why I asked for pictures of the setup
literally just line out from the computer mobo
see above

Do mobos have proper line out nowadays? I was under the impression that the 3.5mm out is run through a rudimentary dac/amp unit and that using that as a source would be double amping with lots of potential for electrical interference.

there is nothing wrong with double amping. using a dac like topping is "double amping" as well

That's my exact setup, it's pretty good. One thing that I've noticed though is the THX sucks current when off so if you split the XLR between two amps the THX has to always be on. Optical is the best connection when your source is a desktop, laptops usually have clean USB so it's not much of an issue.

what is amazing the pic or the headphones?

Attached: 1458921218956.jpg (880x1249, 146K)

Well after a bit of research you weren't right about mobos having proper line out, so forgive me if I'm not willing to believe that double amping is perfectly fine when it's coming from your mouth. Using a dac is absolutely not "double amping" because you're not fucking amplifying the signal. Jesus christ.

Attached: 1540477518871.png (456x465, 417K)

Post a pic?
The THX is balanced right? Do you use them as balanced?
I love the massdrop plain black box thing they do with all their amps so I think the THX looks really nice. Too bad the SU8 doesnt come in black, the topping d50 is black but its not balanced and since they're the same price it would be stupid to get the d50 over the su8.

>you're not fucking amplifying the signal
yes you are.

Alright, I worded it badly. You aren't amplifying the signal to the same extent that you would be with another amplifier. Hence the need for a proper line out, and the term "double amping" being used to describe when the signal is being run through two amplifier units and not a dac + amp.

What is "proper" line out? I thought dac line out just has low power, high impedance (because it's cheap) and thus requires amplification to drive most headphones.

>The THX is balanced right? Do you use them as balanced?
it's balanced on both rca and xlr due to phase splitting
>You aren't amplifying the signal to the same extent that you would be with another amplifier.
not a meaningful distinction
>two amplifier units
semantics

proper line out just means 2v line out. lower your volume on your motherboard until it averages 2v and you've got proper line out

Assuming the balanced line is fed into the amplifier correctly, nothing.
Optical can be useful to force galvanic isolation if you don't want to check the jack wiring.

>So optical is strictly better then?
Not a good option with multichannel. If you want high-frequency signaling, that's no good either.

It is absolutely a meaningful distinction when the first amplifier unit adds distortion. You say double amping is completely fine but I guarantee you aren't running a 3.5mm cable from your computer's mobo straight into an amplifier on your main setup.

If the source is over 2V an average amp should start clipping, right?
Does impedance or power matter at all for amps input?

>It is absolutely a meaningful distinction when the first amplifier unit adds distortion.
not really. motherboards are very low distortion with voltage output similar to a dac. it's their impedance which is usually an issue but that doesn't matter if you connect them to an external amp
>I guarantee you aren't running a 3.5mm cable from your computer's mobo straight into an amplifier on your main setup
I have continued to do this for years with thousand dollar headphones
>should start clipping
depends on the amp. what will happen is your amp will start distorting sooner (i.e. volume knob at 70% vs 100%) but the power output won't change.

Do you have pictures of your full setup? It's interesting hearing from your perspective and I'd be willing to admit I'm wrong and try testing this myself. You really have not had any problems outputting straight from your motherboard?

are the sennheiser hd599 any good for the price? I want to keep it under 200€ but still get decent sound

>Do you have pictures of your full setup?
yes but I don't post my setup anymore because I try to lurk more
>You really have not had any problems outputting straight from your motherboard?
my main issue is actually linux driver problems with usb and onboard so sometimes I switch to spdif
>I'd be willing to admit I'm wrong and try testing this myself.
there's nothing wrong about buying an external dac it can be quite convenient as well as giving peace of mind, but it's false to say you absolutely need them if you don't have noise issues with your mobo.

you are double amping, if that is noticiable or not its another story, but why you have thousend dollar headphones and not a cheap ass usb/optical dac? probably the mobo dac is fine, but mobos amps are not that good, high impedance is very common

So how do you find the correct volume for output? I don't have any experience with electrical engineering etc.

most usb dac work out of the box in linux user, no driver needed

Would the sivga sv-007 be a good friend for gaming and bass, alongside my hd600's? Who lack both.

yes, I know, uac 1 and 2. I have been using linux for over 10 years. my usb audio still breaks occasionally from kernel to kernel. there is more to audio than just UAC. alsa-plugins and the linux-firmware package is currently breaking some of my usb audio devices.
volt meter. mobos with realtek have a setting you can choose for line out or a dedicated line out plug usually
>you are double amping
every dac has an amp it's just called a buffer instead of an amp. how do you think dacs output 2v or 4v? magic? summoning the dac god for an increase in voltage?
>why you have thousend dollar headphones and not a cheap ass usb/optical dac
because there's no benefit to buying one
>high impedance is very common
non-issue with an external amp

Get 58x instead man.

>probably the mobo dac is fine, but mobos amps are not that good
by the way, here's what your typical mobo looks like (hint: better than a schiit modi 2)

archimago.blogspot.com/2013/03/measurements-hunt-for-load-induced.html

Attached: Idle_computer_24-48.png (521x294, 8K)

isnt 2v enough to drive most headphones what if i just plug my shit right into my d30

>if i just plug my shit right into my d30
impedance issues which are not ideal but correctable by EQ

so literally no downside on something with a flat impedance like planardynamics or something with huge impedance like dt880 600ohm?
rip amp market get fukt

you're not going to drive a planar with 2v due to how inefficient they are. not clue about the dt880 don't care. amps are great and necessary for filters/EQ and you should buy one with a lot of power for that purpose

Keep raging moron, I'll never stop making threads when I get the chance.

probably some mobo are fine, i tried right now my ifi idsd micro bl with optical in vs line in directly from the mobo and while its not horribly noisy with line in, its clearly dead silent with optical in. and i dont think my mobo is that shit, its a msi z77 mpower, maybe it is idk

>probably some mobo are fine
most motherboards are fine. like I said as long as you don't have issues with interference like you are having then you don't need an external dac. even then, a cheap $20 spdif dac like the fiio d03k will fix that there's no reason to go buy some audiophile dac

What about DSD playback support? I would assume someone who's invested in a dt1990 would want to use that functionality

>people don't like me making threads
>I know what to do! I'll keep making them!
>that'll teach them not to dislike what I post.
yawn

Reposting my request from last thread.
Looking for my first pair of good, portable headphones. I'll be using them with my laptop, phone, and Switch. I live in the US. I was thinking about the ATH-M40X and someone recommended the Takstar Pro 82. Any other recommendations in this price range?

>What about DSD playback support?
why would you ever want DSD it's a regressive technology like R2R is.

Whether it's a regressive technology or not is really irrelevant to the conversation. (I will fully admit I don't know anything about DSD and don't use it)
The fact of the matter is that DSD playback support is a feature of certain DACs, and there are DSD files that people may want to listen to.

I think it is relevant to the conversation because it is a scam precisely meant to keep you buying products.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital#DSD_vs._PCM
>Because it has been extremely difficult to carry out DSP operations (for example performing EQ, balance, panning and other changes in the digital domain) in a one-bit environment, and because of the prevalence of solely PCM studio equipment such as Pro Tools, the vast majority of SACDs—especially rock and contemporary music, which rely on multitrack techniques—are in fact mixed in PCM (or mixed analog and recorded on PCM recorders) and then converted to DSD for SACD mastering.
you can't even use filters on DSD it's incredibly worthless as an audio format

That's a shame to hear about, oh well. I suppose if you are really after certain DSD recordings you would have a use case for one of those DACs but otherwise useless for most people

>I suppose if you are really after certain DSD recordings
you can just convert them to PCM with no audible difference between the two

>trying to find a DAC with as many outs as possible

Attached: 1539870108493.png (731x516, 193K)

I've recently seen some marketing bullshit about digital headphones, claiming they are somehow "more digital" than "traditional usb headphones with dac built-in".
If most of the dacs actually have single bit high frequency output, doesn't that make all headphones equally "digital"?

use a splitter or if you don't want to lose any gain then use a bunch of d03ks and a spdif splitter

I need headphones with noice cancellation so i can actually focus in places where people are talking loud. Any recommendations keeping it low? i dont have 380 bucks for an mx3

Ummm ... that might work actually, thanks.

buy an headphone that isolate well, noise cancelling is an overpriced meme and also dont work well with humans talking

You can buy a powered USB hub to power them and even use male to male rca plugs directly into your devices

I used to think it was a meme, but Sony was giving the WH1000XM3 upon purchase of an xperia phone so I took the bait.

I never had NC headphones before, but I've had good quality shit (Beyer DT1350, Shure SE530's, you get the gist), so I have a fairly solid basis of comparison.

Something a lot of people don't tell you is the fact that there's a lot of low-frequency humming in public spaces, which these headphones excel at cancelling. Add in the closed construction and the so-so cancellation of human voices, and you can get away with very detailed music, particularly bass, at low volumes if that's your thing.

It's somewhat of a meme, but it definitely allows me to focus at the office with low volumes, except for when people laugh or scream or shit like that.

>people
How are you a person? Don't try to pretend most people ITT care you blithering idiot.

Going to need to replace these soon because the part circled has almost snapped all the way through and is being held together with tape. Any recommendations for similarly neutral cans around the same price range?

Attached: firefox_2018-11-20_21-50-34.png (400x400, 150K)

i'm not him so atleast 2 person care. kill youself tasteless incel

>ignore multiple anons calling your threads shit
b-b-but no one dislikes my posts I swear

Repair the crack with some j-b weld, I did that with some 555's and they're still holding up 4 years later

I've tried something like that but I think the part is too thin to stick properly