Kakoune thread

The modern, modal text editor

>Compile it from source (easy, almost no deps)
github.com/mawww/kakoune

>Find plugins
kakoune.org/plugins.html

>Play and spectate some golf
delapouite.github.io/kakoune-tv/

>Learn about kakoune philosophy
kakoune.org/why-kakoune/why-kakoune.html

Or simply ask questions about kakoune.

Attached: kakoune_logo_full.png (262x262, 38K)

why the absolutely faggotty name ?

>modern
>a good thing
kys

neokakoune in 5..4..3..
>complains about name
>probably uses editor that sounds like slight mental illness, nanodicks, smegma or a skin disease

Attached: index.jpg (202x250, 9K)

>postmodern
>a good think
think twice

Attached: index.jpg (233x217, 10K)

sorry gayman, i won't use an editor with such a fag name.
why not dragondildotext while we're at it ?
go away

based funposter

Face it, it should be Kakyoin.

i hereby apologize for my projective post
t.

>modern
looks like vim

>catering to animuh and mongos on a mongolian frogboard
shame for OP

This, if it at least was rendered on a custom opengl widget canvas to allow special annotations like emacs does.

It's definitely inspired by vim, but it's a fresh take on the same paradigm.
It means "a hard punch" in New Caledonian

what makes it better than Vim?

Shortcuts that are actually efficient, so it's a little less mental illness, apparently.

It's significantly simpler (in terms of LOC but not only). It has a more consistent design. It can naturally do structural regex. It natively supports multiple cursors. It's entirely visual so the learning curve is not as steep.

It's not restricted to terminal rendering, it has an API that allow integration. There are a couple projects that use it (a qml frontend and a python-gtk one) but they're not very advanced.

interesting but i use a raspberri pi is it low on resources?

>no windows version
Dropped

Yes, it's actually rather efficient. It definitely competes with vim when it comes to raw speed, and I'm pretty sure it has the best performing regex implementation out there (in a text editor)
It relies on a unix environment for many things, so a native windows version wouldn't make too much sense. It does work on WSL or cygwin though.

Are you (one of) the coder(s)?

Not really, for the most part it's a one-man show, at least on the core c++ codebase. I maintain a bunch of plugins and I make pull requests here and there.

I unironically like it. Feels more intuitive and fluid than vim + You can have an ASCII cat has an assistant.

It's still lacking metric fucktons of features to compete with vim but it's no wonder given the small dev team and relative newness of it.
Definitely following progress, I'd love to see it replace vim as my editor of choice in the future. I love some of the ideas.