/spg/ - Smartphone General

Phoneposting Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: 1_485884.png (2518x1252, 2.35M)

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2018/11/5/18066138/google-pixel-3-xl-memory-management-app-crashing-bug-fix-update
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What's the best place to shop for anime phone cases?

What is the most feature rich smartphone on the market today?

Get a Poco. Worth the extra money.

so /spg/ flashing a phone for the first time, trying to install TWRP, I hited the "fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img" and the command line has been blinking for the past 10 minutes, how long does it usually take?

Attached: 1539805960994.jpg (960x696, 159K)

5 seconds

THREADLY REDPILL:

enjoy your 'innovashun' and 'curridge'
i.e.
>notches
>phones so thin and bezels so thin that you can't ever grip the phone properly, making drops more likely
>glass sandwich for more fragility
>lack of 3.5mm jack - carry dongles instead!
>lack of micro sd card slot - use da cloud and stream everything
>no SIM card slot - hurr durr le smart sim!!!
>high and higher pixel densities which are pointless because we're already at the point where you can't discern any more - even 1080 is the max anyone needs - 1440 is a meme that simply taxes the chip and thus the battery more
>smaller and smaller batteries (but we made it more 'efficient', goyim! less is more hehehe)
>no more fingerprint sensor - either it's under the screen, or it scans your face instead

>and now...FOLDABLE SCREENS! "i need a foldable screen!" (said no one). Just another solution to a problem no one had in the first place. That'll be three thousand dollars, goyim. You should buy it, don't you want to fund future INNOVASHUN?? You're holding humanity back, you're halting PROGRESS!

Face it, we reached peak smartphone about 3 years ago. Everything since then has been about making phones worse, not better (and more expensive for an ever worse experience)

Attached: npc.jpg (490x586, 16K)

Don't forget to reboot to recovery for it to not be overwritten by the stock recovery.

it's still blinking I can't put new commands

what's the GOOD non-npc phone?

My LG G2 is finally starting to fail me after 5 good years. It recently started shutting down randomly, but it's still an ok phone for my usecases (mainly youtube and music over my 3.5mm IEMs, calls are also important).
Looking for a replacement:
>screen at least 5' and 1080p, preferably with low minimum brightness and without rounded corners
>decent battery life
>back 'button' in software or right hand side of the phone
>preferably decent speaker
>my current phone is rooted, the replacement should also have this option. Currently using some xposed modules to make the default youtube app bearable (background playback + add block)
>less than 700 eurobucks
>located in europe (belgium (Flanders))
Any recommendations?

Attached: LG-G2.jpg (1500x1500, 338K)

Okay but when will smartphones come with x86_64 chipsets and uiefi bioses?

anything that was made 5 years ago, according to that post
Samsung Note 3

What's happening to your phone? Did it boot into recovery?

>anything that was made 5 years ago, according to that post
Damn I need a GS5.

Non-NPC phone: poojeet version.
>Moto g6

Attached: 6221370cv12d.jpg (550x529, 39K)

Pixel 3

no it's still in FASTBOOT

>No NFC
What is this? The dark ages?

Just bought a nokia 7 plus?
How hard did I fuck up?

what's a good phone that will work on AT&T in the US that is 5.5" max (smaller preferred) with a headphone jack and an SD card slot or 64GB storage at a minimum

Thanks, but that's a 900+ euro phone where I live.
Since you recomended a pixel, is the pixel 2 (~600 euro) any good?

Get a Redmi Note 5 or Poco, because Xiaomi's flagships lack the 3.5mm audio jack. Samsung's flagships are way overpriced and not all have custom ROM support.

To anyone here with a Pixel 3: is the phone still fucked with the inability to run more than 4 apps without closing shit? Looking to buy it soon while the black friday deal is still on.

Attached: 1542692335289.jpg (640x480, 38K)

Make sure the adb sees your device. That's why the command might not have worked.

nokia 6.1

Wait for black Friday, it'll be 649€ on the German Google Store. You can use a package forwarding service like mailboxde to get it shipped to Belgium, it only costs ~15€.

Attached: Notch.jpg (399x564, 21K)

theverge.com/2018/11/5/18066138/google-pixel-3-xl-memory-management-app-crashing-bug-fix-update

Fuark, so it's still on the horizon. Thank you!

I'm considering upgrading to a new phone, budget is 200€ and location is Austria, ignore the frequencies because I'll double check anyway.

At most I'm going to play some mobage and listen to music, so a headphone jack would be nice. I've considered getting a xiaomi but I'm seeing a lot of mixed responses and am not sure about the alternatives, any suggestions?

Redmi Note 5

This so much. And the screens getting bigger and bigger to the point that it's not comfortable to keep your phone in your pocket anymore.

Nokias nowadays are fine. Especially if you can get the them on sale.

why the fuck do u need nfc for

if anything you're asking to get robbed with nfc on

How would I go about rooting my S9+? I've never rooted a phone before and I wanna know how I can do it. I'm on Verizon and my model number is SM-G965U

Attached: 1a397a6.jpg (712x585, 25K)

>Can't get the 8GB/256GB model anywhere but in India.
REEEEEEEE

Is there a close equivalent with stock android?

That doesn't have strong graphics for good needs, IMO.
Get an older flagship. They're a good bang for your buck, unless you need certain features (IR Blaster).

No. But flashing ROMs doesn't void your warranty, so you can just slap lineage on it.

SD636 is more than fast enough for the majority of Android games

I am about to get a mi8 and I just learned that there is a mi8 pro now. Is it at all worth going for that instead?

Is this difficult/risky to do? I am a scrub

No

>if anything you're asking to get robbed with nfc on
That's not how it works, you still need to input a pin code or use your fingerprint to pay with the phone, the thief can't just steal it and buy shit with it.

Is there a meaningful difference between buying a phone with 64gb of internal storage rather than buying one with less storage and using an SD card? I really don't want to spend $50 just for 32gb of extra storage.

The US version can't be rooted

How do I do that? I've tried so many things the command does nothing.

I'm looking for a phone in the 200-650 range. I don't care about the camera, I don't want a notch and I need a headphone jack. I'd like something with amazing processing speed, excellent battery life and longevity with a quality build.

Less of a hassle if you have games/apps that take up space. At least I had some annoyances with android 6.0 and having apps installed on SD card.

do you need the storage? we don't how you use your phone, only you do

the command is "ADB devices" when the phone is in the OS or in recovery mode, "fastboot devices" when the phone is in fastboot mode.

>astboot devices
it finds 1

Unless refurbished or second hand, do older flagships with a processor better than SD636 go around 200€? Didn't see much of that.

Need opinions on S9+ for $500 or Note 9 $600.
Was also considering 6t but its the same price as the s9...

>Note 9 $600.
Europoor here, when can I expect the Note 9 to drop in price?
I can find the S9+ for 550 euros but the Note 9 is still around 1K. I really like their screens and cameras, they seemed far better than the P20 and all the Xiaomis I tried.

I'd go for the S9+. it has better battery life and the note 9 pen is pointless

Try "fastboot boot twrp.img"

>cuts off your finger when they steal your phone
thanks technology

it just shows black screen with "press any key to shutdown"

how doesit have better battery when the has 4k mA and the s9+ 3400

so is gsm just being shills for other phones again or is the v40 battery really this bad

Attached: 515801b6-45db-401d-a304-50cf67c9dc2b.png (562x289, 16K)

Why aren't you all using an Xperia XZ1 Compact Jow Forums?
>perfect size (between 4.5 and 5 inches) for one handed use
>didn't fall for the "muh thin" meme and has excellent battery life as a result
>headphone jack
>4GB RAM
>SD-card slot
>non-meme resoution, 1280x720 is more than enough for a 4.6inch screen, has a PPI to rival the iPhone's retina standard
>non-meme aspect ratio, 16:9 content will completely fill the screen
>cameras not far behind the iPhone 8
>side-mounted fingerprint scanner
>didn't fall for the bezel-less meme and is comfortable to hold in portrait or landscape without relying on shitty palm-rejection
>IP 68 water-resistant
>rugged, no glass on the back that shatters as soon as you drop it
Literally the thinkpad of modern phones. Some may say it's outdated despite only being a year old but it's more than capable of handling anything you throw at it. It's also the last good xperia before they fell in line with the "muh thin" meme and axed the 3.5mm

Attached: xz1compact.jpg (600x600, 24K)

cus im using xz premium

huge bezels, low volume output from the headphone jack, no volte or wifi calling support from att, I wish it were just a bit bigger to be 1080p
t. had an xz1c and returned it

oh and that whole jazz about the fingerprint sensor

>low volume output from headphone jack
What impedance are your headphones? The output is fine for mine

Can you not just flash UK firmware to enable it?

V30+ user here. I just realized my phone isn’t new after all - the faggot seller is masterfully taping the seal on the box. Even after analyzing it closely I didn’t see the cut until yesterday. DON’T buy from Breed (they sell on Amazon and on ebay)

is the note 9 pen even remotely useful?

Fucking christ, then what do I do? Will a root ever be released?

16 ohms
just 10 dollar panasonics, but I also used the inbox sony ones
yes but that disables volte calling which is arguably more important. I'm on att so that doesn't matter anyways but it still isn't an ideal situation

What's your phone? And make sure you've installed ADB and USB drivers. USB debugging enabled?
No, and you can thank your wonderful carriers for locking your bootloaders permanently.

Fair enough, must be a pain in the ass finding the right phone in America

Canadian here, considering picking up the Xiaomi A2 Lite. Can't find anything in the same price range with the same value. Are there any other suggestions?

what makes you think the phone isn't new?

Why do you idiots buy contract phones from carriers and then complain about bloatware? It's literally cheaper to just take out a loan, buy a network-free phone straight from the manufacturer on Amazon and then just repay the loan over the same time you would've with a carrier contract

internet

Are the Pixels at BestBuy still locked to Verizon?

if you care about volte then depends on the carrier, but we can use sony, oneplus, google, lg, etc just fine if you forsake volte, at least on gsm carriers. only chink shit is practically unusable

Why do you care so much about Volte anyway? People rarely call eachother anymore and even when they do it's for such a short duration that POTS quality should suffice

What carrier you on?

It’s technically not new if they seller opened the box and messed around with the phone. He flashed it to another model number too

why not XZ3?

It just makes me uncomfortable paying so much for a device that I can't use to its full functionality.

>What's your phone?
Mi 8 SE
>And make sure you've installed ADB and USB drivers. USB debugging enabled?
installed installed and yes

>6" display
>no headphone jack
>rear mounted fingerprint scanner
>hardly any size bezel to hold on to
gee I wonder...

Z3c here, still good. I'll probably upgrade to a XZ1 soon though

Honor 8x or Huawei P20 lite ?

No

Why wouldnt it have a headphone jack? Does the XZ2 have one?

Did you unlock the bootloader?

XZ1 and XZ1 Compact were the last Sony phone to have a headphone jack. It's gone in XZ2 and XZ3.

Why?

Courage

>tfw android pie on s9
feels good man

yes "This device is unlocked"

this nigga got memed on by the xiaomigang

Attached: 6d8.png (680x502, 619K)

Does the unlocked note 9 have root/custom roms?

>oneplus 6t
>no headphone jack
>xperia xz3
>no headphone jack
>google pixel 3
>no headphone jack
>xiaomi mi 8 pro
>no headphone jack
>huawei mate 20 pro
>no headphone jack

I was trying to get away from Galaxy but apparently Samsung is the only company who wants to provide a fucking headphone jack. What the fuck