Is LaTeX dying?

Is LaTeX dying?

Attached: index.png (348x145, 3K)

works on my machine

Why do you ask?

why? it is mostly used in academics

I miss seeing calculus tests and discreet math tests drawn up in LaTeX. The typesetting was beautiful.

That hasn't been true outside of physics and mathematics for a while now.

Maybe in your 3rd world uni

Third worlder here. Even in my shithole LaTeX is still the most predominant way of writing an article.

>outside of physics and mathematics
so outside of all relevant fields it's not used, who cares

How do I use it on windows? I tried to install some compiler once but it just pulled shitloads of plugins and crashed.

Miktex.

Install MikTeX as the packae manager and then Texmaker as the editor. Should work right off the bat.

Latex + vim > Any office gui nasty bs program

Simple as that....

No, but the number of people on this board who use MS office/libre is vomit inducing. Sort yourselves out. It doesn't take long to learn and then you get to feel superior to everyone else for the whole rest of your life.

I really want to use it but im into biology and im surrounded by people using M$ Word.

Attached: 1476053476131.jpg (1698x1140, 185K)

Cause you don't need to use it.
Word does everything and isn't a giant piece of shit with retarded syntax.
I used it in college because I strongly believed that all the smartass asshats discriminated against people who wouldn't typeset their assignments in Latex. I was right, a friend who cheated off of me, typeset his answers in Latex, and got higher scores. Since then, I used Latex for assignments.

I've used Latex and beamer for literally every essay and presentation so far. Even if I'm the only one using it at the moment they'll come crying to me for advice when the 10+ page essays become unmanageable in google docs

Some textbooks (usually math and physics) are very obviously written with a markdown language, I'm guessing latex.
But what about social "sciences" etc books?
A medical book with tons of diagrams and pictures would be annoying as fuck to write in latex imo.
Also the source files for a textbook have to be fucking massive. How to they work with those?

Attached: 1542620404619.jpg (500x445, 35K)

For everything other than presentations, groff + mom + eqn is much superior to latex.

lol, no.

>A medical book with tons of diagrams and pictures would be annoying as fuck to write in latex imo.
I normally use a ton of those in my works and i find latex way better to manage than word which constantly shits itself in multiple ways while managing pictures for some reason.

I use it at work to write automated reports

Sadly outside of academy there is no real demand for it.

>Word isn't a giant piece of shit with retarded syntax
Word is fucking incoherent in its behaviours
With Latex you always know what you're gonna get, once you understand it

should I write my resume in groff or latex?

>Word is fucking incoherent in its behaviours
This.

My advice would be to just start. The more complex things get, the more it will pay off and people will start pestering you with "user, how do you format your references so nicely?", "user, how do I turn my essay into a set of slides quickly?" etc.

Split the chapters, sections up into separate files.

I don't use groff, but my sense is that LaTeX would be better if you need to do complex formatting

Which tex editor do you guys prefer? I'm currently using TexStudio.

Latex needs a rework. You can do some crazy dangerous shit with it. Like running scripts or overwriting files. Academics are typically shit at backing things up too.

or texmaker
or lyx if you want some wysiwyg

sublime is nice

vim. Same editor as everything else.

word is garbage, but it has a latex equation editor now.

>word is too hard for me

GROFF + MOMMY MACROS

I don't know about textbooks, but math journals are using some in-house system for sure.
No way they could always fuck up copyediting if they only had to copy the source into their template.

Word is complex as fuck. If you haven't had weird inexplicable shit happen to you, like figures disappearing into the margin, alignment getting fucked when you add a blank line, etc., you never did anything nontrivial.

I shudder to envision dealing with Word for a long document like a thesis. I think Word users it just got accustomed to the general sense of unease and feeling that everything could crash down at any moment.

I use it all the time

LaTeX has the javascript problem of having about 10 billion in parts fucking trivial packages which are interconnected in an incomprehensible dependency hell.
On top of that, TeX itself is ugly, and in a way (just as LaTeX) suffers from trying to know better than the user. Rarely this is more apparent than with floats, where it tries to coerce people into following their silly typesetting rules. It lacks the humility to accept that most people using it are not typesetters, and that that a typesetter may find beautiful can be a hindrance to clarity for a scientist.

chemistry.

Attached: P6_cover.gif (502x659, 62K)

Has anything come along to replace LaTeX?

Mom is too complex. ms works fine for almost every document

There are various other *TeXs I did not yet bother looking at, which of course would still have to carry TeX's baggage in some way. And they would be dead the second they don't support BibTeX and had no way todeal with LaTeX extensions because you can't expect adoption if you are not in a practical sense equipotent.

Attached: 1532441048571.jpg (1280x960, 320K)

i use latex in electrical engineering. all the grad students i know in ee use latex

the mech e student i know from a different school uses latex

what are you high on? what is supplanting it?

Anons, there's a feature I dearly miss and if I find it I'll probably shill LaTeX relentlessly - an equation editor which makes sense.
I don't want to write directly in latex. I would rather write in Org mode or in Lyx. However, I hate Lyx's equation editor's shortcuts and Emacs hasn't been as comfortable when typing equations.
I want something with shortcuts which make sense like MathType and where I can visually see the equation, not only the latex source.
help?

Overleaf

Literally everyone in NatSci and Engineering uses Latex here. Stop living in shitholes.

Not exactly, but I've found it replaced mostly by XML/XSL-FO in my recent work experience. Seems to be an outlying phenomenon though, at least on Jow Forums I've almost never seen mention of people using things like DocBook, DITA or S1000D.

Attached: dita_s1000d.png (297x170, 8K)

Not sure if you lump Computer Science in with Mathematics or not, but LaTeX is pretty common in academic CS too...

TeXworks. It's not exactly feature filled, but it does the job for me and I can't be fucked to learn any other setup.

Also Overleaf when collaborating with others.

When I was in college, I used Mathematica to write my equations, then did something like highlight it with a mouse and copy -> LaTeX. I wound up writing most of my reports mostly in Mathematica and it was a pain when I had to re-do stuff in Matlab. Or Excel. Fucking backwards US engineering education (I'm exaggerating).

There is no way. No one ever bothered to make one. I have already looked. This is the worst world.

Besides only visually showing a tiny subset of equations supported by TeX, what is wrong with how Org does equations? It is rather similar to Mathematica (okay not at all but you can just click and hit backspace to start making modifications... okay nevermind I hate Org also).

I really like Org, I got no problem with it or with the equation syntax provided, I just wanted something pretty to support mathematical writing
I think I might end up writing some interface to auctex

¬Academia = ¬{Mathematics, Physics}

When the fuck are we getting a package that supports the CSL format? Biblatex is nice but CSL is clearly winning the citation format fight.

How do I into tex?

Nigga just read any guide. It has like 10 functions you need to know and everything else is your own text.

I wish. What replaces it?

No. If you publish in any journal, you'll be submitting in LaTeX. Publishers like IEEE of course demand all submissions be in LaTex, but many other publishers will require this as well.

Why, how the fuck would you typeset in the year 2018?

They use the magical features called \include and \input.

It's only true if you give dangerous command line options to latex as well.

Attached: hover.gif (600x121, 178K)

markdown > latex

>
>groff+eqn mathematics typesetting
OH NO NO NO NO NO

Attached: eqn.png (1236x729, 458K)

Attached: 1542672706895.jpg (474x474, 45K)

This.
Wrote my energy engineering master's thesis in LaTeX last year.

LaTeX is turing complete. It's hard to imagine what kind of brainlet compares LaTeX to a markup language like markdown.

markdown is also turing complete?

Made a citation manager, what do you think?

Attached: gui_demo.jpg (675x450, 119K)

It's great with version control. Very comfy. With many classes and packages for your particular field.

Attached: Dr9Li8AVsAAEqD1.jpg (785x835, 64K)

horrible shit.

It's not. But that's not a bad thing. Markup languages like XML or Markdown are meant to capture only semantics. The actual "typesetting" part is relegated to a separate system (i.e., "stylesheets")

what's wrong with it?

>a fucking package manager for a text editor

As someone who spends a lot of time writing "complicated" mathematics, there is no fucking way i could ever break away from Latex and use groff.

Firstly, the syntax somehow seems even worse than latex maths syntax. Secondly, there doesn't seem to be support for more niche mathematical typesetting, like Bra-Ket notation for example.

>What is MS Word

Who cares ?

everything

I cannot go back to word after getting into latex. It literally made me want to write more shit.

are you fucking blind or what

It is outside a small fraction of academia in my area. User groups are dead and so is their localized stuff.

>and that that a typesetter may find beautiful can be a hindrance to clarity for a scientis
actually it looks like garbage for modern typesetting needs by default

Maybe I am missing the point, but I think it would be better if it just worked instead of having to use a lot of packages.

This, in particular for mundane stuff like embedding images.

LateX is not dying.

In fact Overleaf just bought up the other group collaboration cloud based LateX service. Universities and research organizations pay big licenses for these services.

Why the fuck do you need a turing complete language for markup?

>>who would think that latex is markup
>b-but muh markup

You don't, and most LaTeX users probably aren't directly taking advantage of it being Turing-complete anyway, they are just using using pre-defined macros.

actually other way around, most first world is using Word for everything because it's just easier to teach single software package.

>using identity operators
pls use superior logic

What the actual fuck

Attached: 1378836832571.jpg (900x720, 222K)

if you can't point out anything specific then you're just memeing.
The syntax is nice and functional too, no need to memorize a whole bunch of bullshit like latex

Are you fucking joking? Putting over on a new line for division isn't retarded syntax to you?

that's actually not required

>Is LaTeX dying?
Why would it be?
The use case hasn't gone away and no suitable alternatives exist.

>Word does everything and isn't a giant piece of shit with retarded syntax.
In word you just click the things at the right position and hope nothing fucks up. It's a pretty bad way if you care about consistency.

>a friend who cheated off of me, typeset his answers in Latex, and got higher scores
A) The cheating didn't matter, as nobody noticed it
B) He probably didn't copy you word by word, so his assignment might have actually been better
C) Form and function have to go together, if your assignment looks like a mess the content is diminished, as it is harder to understand, but if your document is clean and consistent then it probably is easier to understand and deserving of a better grade.

>A medical book with tons of diagrams and pictures would be annoying as fuck to write in latex imo.
Maybe, it certainly depends on what exactly you need to do.

>Also the source files for a textbook have to be fucking massive.
Just make each section or subsection one file.
It's pretty comfortable and actually another advantage over things like word.

No, but you are. unless you wake up. This is a subliminal message implanted into your inconscious. You've been in a comma for 9 years. You family misses you. Please, wake up.

Attached: cantwakeup.png (1281x1061, 812K)

It's honestly pretty awful when it comes to most things. It just looks worse in all possible ways and lacks most features.

What can it do?

>include a package
>it downloads silently in the background and just works, but compiling takes 0.5secs longer
Did you not take your meds or how is this too difficult for you?

Name an alternative and I'll consider it