Coding without a mouse

Do you guys do this? Is it really faster? Do you use any code editors?

Attached: 61YmYER3h5L._SX425_PIbundle-123,TopRight,0,0_AA425SH20_.jpg (425x425, 17K)

>Do you guys do this?
On my old laptop yes. Any GUI i throw at it and it will croak.
>Is it really faster?
Depends on the keyboard for me.
Plus if you use visual studio on windows you might have problems compiling some things in C that would otherwise work with any other compiler/editor. So in some cases it can be extra work to use bigger tools.
>Do you use any code editors?
99% of the time what you call a code editor(or IDE) is in fact a text editor with a bundled compiler.
I just use a text editor(on my desktop scite on my laptop nano and vim) and my compiler of choice.

Biggest reason i do this is because the red lines under "errors"(i.e. line i did not finish writing yet) on most IDEs stress me out for no reason.

yeh i do it because it works so effectively with vim. id say it is faster, but not by lots. its a lot more comfy though because you dont need to move your hands. its also very convenient because i just might not have a mouse nearby

>laptop can't run a gui

damn you must be running one of these bad bois

Attached: ibm5155.jpg (600x264, 29K)

No it's a dell latitude d500 with one 1 GB of ram.
My problem is that gtk3 is shit and gtk2 is deprecated.

superior vim master race

Yes, use Vim. It will change your life and save your carpal tunnel.

Vim is not a meme, it really is a superior way to write code. What it effectively does is lessen the workload on your arms, hands, and fingers by offloading it on your brain. This means that if it is too hard, you are too stupid.

Keyboard-only editing is undeniably superior on laptops because trackpads are shit, but what I didn't expect was that it would be excellent on phones too. Moving around with hjkl is much less painful than moving around by tapping tiny letters and missing 50% of the time.

good apps for that?

>Is placing artificially limitations on computer input by excluding secondary devices more efficient.
It really depends on if you're willing to train yourself and rationalize that its "better", you need to manipulate yourself into believing that it makes any significant difference.

i use the mouse with my foot

so yes, it is way faster!

Woah, cool. So you run vim and a compiler side by side? How do you do that, what's your setup like?

I wasn't using a vim app on my phone, I ssh'd into my server and used an instance of vim running there. The ssh app I used was terminus.

Not him but you can execute shell commands in normal mode in vim by typing :! command, so you can execute something like :! gcc ..., or :! make

more on these kinds of tricks?

Do you think they glued the cable that way or is it cgi

An even better setup is to use vim within tmux. You can then have multiple terminals open alongside your editor to run compilers, scripts, etc.

i mean i have a mouse but honestly i try to do stuff with keyboard shortcuts most of the time. when im using emacs i obviously dont use a mouse anyway.

openbox and tint2

mouse+ osk + feet

If you use a mouse at all you won't make it as a programmer.

its good in theory but you'll find yourself looking up documentation and stack overflow copy pasta so doing that with mouse is faster. anyone who tells you otherwise in this thread isn't a real coder.

>Biggest reason i do this is because the red lines under "errors"(i.e. line i did not finish writing yet) on most IDEs stress me out for no reason.
Fuck I know exactly what you mean. It can make me lose my train of thought completely.

FARMANAGER
but mouse helps

Use :make and it will put all the errors in the quickfix window (:cope) and allow you to jump to them with :cn and :cp

Using the trackpad on a laptop is much easier and faster than using a mouse. You can set up the numkeys to activate mouse buttons while you use the trackpad. Like if you have to drag something you can toggle the L-mouse button and then use the trackpad to drag without holding down any button. Programmers spend a lot of time looking stuff up on the internet so you are going to have to use a trackpad to browse.

>being a footfag