So did you manage to get one before they stopped production?

So did you manage to get one before they stopped production?

Attached: images(3).jpg (300x168, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

images.techhive.com/images/article/2015/10/20151009_134307-100621756-orig.jpg
store.steampowered.com/app/353380/Steam_Link/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How come they stopping making them? Weren't they actually selling good vs the other stuff or do we just have better solutions now?

Attached: 1542678063378.gif (300x203, 643K)

they went on sale for almost nothing because nobody gave two fucks about it when it released. Now that they are not making those anymore, you have people selling some for more than 100usd and threads here and there talking about how great they are and that nobody understands why Valve is ditching them.
I find it funny that they went for free with some games or for just 5usd

I own 3 most useless product ever. Ever.

Ah, how's stuff like SheildTV for streaming from pc to a tv? Just curious it isn't really necessary for me where I am right now because my TV is only a few feet away behind me from my desk chair better just to use the monitor.

yeah it works pretty good, don't get the hate for it.

both work pretty damn good but if you use a wired connection. If you can't you need a really nice router or AP. Anything less than AC will make you notice stutter or just drop the connection.
If you can get one of the links for the original price, go for it is worth it. If the only option is the 100usd one, then just go for the shield you have more options and also the joystick is nice.
I owned the link and now the shield, the shield was way more expensive but it's damn nice.

Yup.
I don't even use it for in-home streaming, as I don't have a single computer running Steam. I run RetroArch and Kodi on it.

I do not own a television.

I mean hell if I really want to though just use HDMI to the video card (I have my monitor using DVI which doesn't really make a dif anyway) Though prob would need something to link cables together since it's still a few feet. But yeah this isn't totally a priority for me right now anyway I was just curious for maybe the future. Maybe by then there will be better priced stuff anyway. Oh and as far as internet goes I run a long ass coax from my cable outlet to the modem/router sitting on the desk then a short cable to my computer and then another long ass ethernet going back to the tv set It's silly but it works.

bought one at a 90% discount 2 years ago, shipping cost more than the device

it's great but i don't use it as much as i though i would, hope they keep supporting it

>It's silly but it works.
if it works, and it isn't a mess, perfect. But as I said most peple complained about the link or similar stuff because they use old ass wireless G routers or worse gayming shit tier like Asus routers.

Isn't it possible just to use a Raspberry Pi with Moonlight and replicate the experience? I honestly don't understand the point of this device. My Nvidia Shield has the option to stream from the PC to the TV but I've used it maybe twice, I just don't really care for gaming beyond a session of EU4 or Ck2 here and there. My brain has been burned out.

I actually use it a lot. Great for playing Smash 4 on cemu on a TV via two ethernet cables. No lag as far as I can notice.

In-home streaming is underrated technology, and I wish it would take off more. Streaming PC games on a good PC looks objectively better than anything a console is capable of via HDMI (maybe not since this 4k shit, but 4k isn't even mainstream yet).

it doesnt even do 4k at 60fps, whats the fucking point?

i can use my fucking laptop and get better results

Wat is dat?

How much input lag do they introduce?

I use mine with ethernet. It's barely noticeable. I only picked it up playing CSGO just to see how bad it was.

Amazing thin client though. Pretty much the best money can buy.

>Amazing thin client though. Pretty much the best money can buy.
how powerful is it? if I'd known you can use it as a thin client I would have bought it, I figured it had some shitty locked in software on it and couldn' be modded but I remember when they sold them for $2 during that sale lol

Dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dabdab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab

Attached: sefgrggbvc.png (625x98, 18K)

>tfw you're so broke you can't afford a steam linke at £2.00

what happened.

Valve has a Steam Link app that can basically run on anything. Any cheapo Android box, like a Fire Stick, will be able to perform the same duty, this is basically what doomed the Link.

Powerful enough, I use it to remote into my desktop PC since you just need steam open and you can force it to stream the desktop.

It's not a full thin client. (weird sentence) But it does what I need it to well enough. You might be able to connect it to a VPN and use it over the internet. But I've never tried.

Got one for five bucks, Don't regret it at all

3 of them for $2 a piece. What a pile of shit.

yes, when they started selling it for £2.

still have never used it.

>$2.50 + (((((((($7.99)))))))) shipping

Default Dance

Attached: a1400e3970eb8d2b3312cbf02ac735a87d866e7d.jpg (250x250, 7K)

If the stream stats are reliable, for me completely over ethernet usually 1 frame/16ms, +-3 from encoding, most likely from GPU encoding (despite having threads for days on Ryzen).
Ping is obviously solid sub 1ms.

Here's a random screenshot of someone else's to know what the breakdown consists of:
images.techhive.com/images/article/2015/10/20151009_134307-100621756-orig.jpg
Given their estimated bandwidth isn't a solid 100mbps they're probably using wifi, so grain of salt.

shame, its sold out over here.

yeah but where can i get a cheap steam controller?

store.steampowered.com/app/353380/Steam_Link/

Any way to get the "app" working on a raspberry via kodi or steamOS ?

if you're on steamos why not just use steam in home streaming? it's the same shit

Just get a big usb and hdmi cables.

I have one. Installed Kodi on it. For some reason Kodi couldn't play videos. Can't remember why. Went back in the cupboard.

I meant DIY your own steam link. Apparently its possible, but only for nvidia cards.

I had the chance to buy it real cheap multiple times but I really don't have a use for it.

>DIY your own steam link. Apparently its possible

You guys are all fucking stupid. If you have a laptop that can playback 1080p video, or any spare PC laying around capable of that, then you already have a "DIY Steam Link" machine.

Install Steam on your laptop, log into your Steam account while on the same network as your main gaming PC, then you'll be automatically connected to your main gaming PC and can stream them to your laptop. I do this with my Chromebook w/ Linux on it.

a $10 Steam Link isn't a bad deal at all, but I'm sure you all have a spare computer laying around that can handle 1080p streaming video. You don't NEED a Steam Link.

This happened when the Wii U stopped production. No one gave half a shit about em. I picked up one up on a Black Friday for like half price with 4 games for another $20 back in like 2014. Then Nintendo pulls the plug and they're suddenly going for $400 - 500 for a used model for a while.

>>DIY your own steam link. Apparently its possible
>You guys are all fucking stupid. If you have a laptop that can playback 1080p video, or any spare PC laying around capable of that, then you already have a "DIY Steam Link" machine.
>Install Steam on your laptop, log into your Steam account while on the same network as your main gaming PC, then you'll be automatically connected to your main gaming PC and can stream them to your laptop. I do this with my Chromebook w/ Linux on it.
>a $10 Steam Link isn't a bad deal at all, but I'm sure you all have a spare computer laying around that can handle 1080p streaming video. You don't NEED a Steam Link.

Agreed, for $10 it does the job well. But any halfway decent second hand machine collecting dust is as good or better.

Threadly reminder
>steam OS
failed
>steambox
failed
>steam link
failed
>Steam controller
pffffffahhahah
>no hl3, no portal 3, no Team Fortress 3, no L4D 3, no new big projects
OHNONOONONONONONO
>valve VR is shit, PSVR and its games completely destroy steam shovelware trash games
PFFFFFFFHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
>many publishers are jumping ship - first EA then activision with COD IIII, now bethesda
OHNONONONONONONO
>artifact
PFFFFFFFFFFFAHAHHAHAHAHAH
*INHALES*
OHNONOONOONONONONO
*WHEEZES*
BRUH

Attached: [S1.Ep1] Super Drags - Lipsync Time.mp4_snapshot_14.18.375.jpg (1920x1080, 150K)

Some games are buggy to stream.

call me an idiot, but I honestly think the whole steamOS and Steam Accessories was just a shot across Microsoft's bow saying "Hey, if you don't want to play nice with windows 8, we can go after your gaming market, back off"

I have a Steam Link but I'm honestly considering getting some kind of dual NIC HTPC and using it as a router, NAS, emulator box (I've tried using Steam Link with emulators and they all fuck up), etc and throwing the Link in my closet or something.

wdf i asked if u can run linux on it and people said no fuck u all.

No fuck you!

This was definitely a factor... Microsoft being dickish and throwing their weight around was probably also a factor in Vulkan.

>spending money to fund proton is just a way for valve to tell Microsoft to stop being a competitor.

Steam is super nervous about being wholly reliant upon Microsoft and has been for a while.
Certainly doesn't help that Microsoft keeps trying to directly compete with Steam via their own store, one that can be embedded directly into the start menu at that.

If Gaben had his way everyone would switch to Linux tomorrow (hence efforts like Proton), but that brings its own issues.

its already running linux, you can even enable ssh

Yes, it's great

I got between 40-60ms over Ethernet. It's playable but has some compression artifacts.

Just bought one more. It is a valuable machine

I said it was a factor, not the sole cause.

>If Gaben had his way everyone would switch to Linux tomorrow
he does very little to motivate people to do so
>no effort of turning SteamOS into proper desktop Linux users have been waiting for decades
>no effort to make Linux exclusive AAA games (or games at all)

I didn't say he was any good at it. It's just what he wants.

I got mine a few years back and I love it when I remember I have it. Ps3 controller syncs up easy peasy and I usually have an Ethernet cable around where my htpc is. Playing boarderlands 2 was seamless.

Just secured my copy tonight. Let's hope it works well!

Attached: person-woman-coffee-cup.jpg (1920x1281, 249K)

I have never been able to buy one since South America. The controller looks comfortable.

Like someone mentioned in this thread, It would be cool if Valve released an ARM Steam Link Linux client, so you can build your own Link with an Raspberry Pi or similar. I heard there's a client that comes pre-installed on Samsung TVs.

Botnet

>It would be cool if Valve released an ARM Steam Link Linux client
there's an android client for steam link, you can pretty much run that shit on any machine running a moderately updated version of android

wtf more do you want?

>do we just have better solutions now?
Yes, there's an Android app soon enough to be on SmartTVs since Samsung has it's on SteamLink App.

The only thing I would like to know is, does AV1 encodes faster (with crisp quality) than H264? Because that's something nice to solve, iirc nvidia said they could cut down almost 300ms of overhead to "just" ~180, but I don't know how things are now.

Holy shit they did? I bought 2 when they were dirt cheap, use one and the others in the box. I like it actually, use it to stream movies and stuff mostly from my room to the living room

wow that is utterly fucking useless

they stopped because modern tvs have the steam app, so itss done that way instead

Its on sale right now for 2 bucks
??

where

But Valve VR just barely got leaked like a week ago? Has there been more info already?

Also the fact that retards like Betheshit and EA are making their own launchers is worse for us because those platforms are complete shit.

>origin
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>UPLAY

I seriously wonder why these companies think that people will be happy installing like 20 different company's game launchers, all their their own patching and update system, spyware, bugs, etc.

THEY'RE JUST APPS BRO

I thought the OP thumbnail was a PS/Vita TV

Attached: pstv.jpg (1280x720, 62K)

>I use mine with ethernet. It's barely noticeable.

What? So did I, gigabit connection from PC and that shit was unusable. You could feel the delay in the mouse real bad.

Wasn't too bad if it was a controller game but nothing else.

I got 2 at Gamestop when they were $5
Employees were kicking themselves that they didn't know they went down. They were still labeled like $30 or whatever

Attached: 1541972271257.jpg (960x539, 56K)

Could get close with one but it outputs 960 by 544 upscaled to 720p or 1080i (yes) and using Vita moonlight

I wish I had more Vita games. My Vita TV is literally collecting dust

Can it do other stuff than just steam link? a cheap ass DLNA device?

Technically yes but it's really weak

It's just running Linux and you can root it

Yes. I plugged it in, started it. updated it, then shut it down.
It was literally $1. I'm pretty disappointed in it though as it doesn't work with my Xbox Elite controller which is about the only thing I wanted to work with it.

Don't forget that there are android based smart TVs too.

Are their any hacks with these? Use them for something else?

Yes. $5 + $10 shipping. It came with an HDMI and a CAT6 cable, so it definitely was worth the price.

Worked on my machine

You need a dongle for the Xbox One Elite controller and any Xbone controller before the S. They only started shipping Bluetooth with the controllers since the white Xbox One S. It's not the Steam Link at fault here, it's Microsoft's shitty proprietary connection.

absolutely useless for me

>40-60ms over Ethernet
>It's playable

Attached: 1531884905135.gif (300x236, 2.85M)

So has Valve officially stopped trying to compete in the TV console market? No more Steam Machines, SteamOS or Steam Link?

I think abandoning the Steam Link is a damn shame. Video game streaming from a local PC is underrated, and if further optimized, completely removed the incentive to spend $400 on a separate console.

Has anyone tried the Nvidia Shield? Gaming on Chromecast via mirroring? What are the viable alternatives?

1-2ms input lag is something for tryhard PCfats to concern themselves with, particularly if they're competitive gamers.

TV Consoles have always had way more input lag. Most people use wireless controllers.

They are shifting in house streaming to your phone, using an app. They also still sell the Steam Controller.

>They are shifting in house streaming to your phone
Literal yawn-tier. Moonlight has been doing this for years, and Rainway gets released this January.

Nvidia still has the right idea: a set-top dedicated to streaming the output from your gaming PC to your television. It's almost console-tier expensive though, whereas Steam Link does the same thing for $2.50.

works on any android tv device. i haven't tested it, but i'm assuming it's functionally identical to the link. for the most part, it's a better solution than having a dedicated box.

>works on any android tv device
Just like Moonlight then?

Attached: yawning.jpg (782x520, 120K)

yup. hardware agnostic though.

Yes

What the hell is Rainway?

I've got an HTPC. Why the hell would I need that shit? Doesn't even work with an Xbox controller.

Cool. I assume it is free as in freedom. No proprietary drivers. Right? I mean why would Jow Forums advertise it otherwise?