Was there ever a reason to use Windows? Photoshop is way less of a sluggish waitfest in Linux than Windows ever was

Was there ever a reason to use Windows? Photoshop is way less of a sluggish waitfest in Linux than Windows ever was.

Attached: 2018-08-30-231429_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 213K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros/blob/master/kernel_build.sh
twitter.com/AnonBabble

My reason for using windows is that I don't like all the hassle that comes with Linux and I don't want to learn to code just to get it working properly.

But can you run Photoshop on the web?

10 year old photoshop with half the performance. Wine is not a solution.

People used Windows from the early 90s to around the year 2000 because it provided a somewhat usable shell over DOS, and most of the alternatives were obscure or too expensive. Some people used OS/2 which was cool at the time but had few native programs, so people ran Windows software on it anyways. Macs were expensive even then but some people had them. Then there were Unix workstations which kicked ass but cost more than a car, so there's that.

Around 2005-2010 the Linux community made huge changes to it and it got better hardware support and better desktop environments. Today it's perfectly usable as a desktop OS if you aren't a pretentious /v/tard.

Windows is good for vidya.
Linux is good for the rest of it.

I use Linux on my laptops
I use Windows on my desktop

>don't want to learn to code just to get it working properly.
Typical win shit user showing their total lack of intellect
I’m not a programmer at all and I use slackware as my daily driver. You don’t have to be a programmer to use any Linux distro.

Attached: image.jpg (896x672, 466K)

I use Windows becuase I don’t like screen tearing and stuttering audio.

>not wanting to deal with daily obscure problems makes you unintelligent

Have you even used a Linux distribution? Most of them require minimal setup post-install (unless you pick something autistic like Gentoo or Arch). When I install Slackware on my Thinkpad, the only thing that needs to be configured is the track point scrolling. Other than that it “just werks™”
Meanwhile windows is a driver shit show

>Have you even used a Linux distribution? Most of them require minimal setup post-install (unless you pick something autistic like Gentoo or Arch). When I install Slackware on my Thinkpad, the only thing that needs to be configured is the track point scrolling. Other than that it “just werks™”
I've actually tried to switch a few times. It lasts for several months until I get tired of fighting problems with screen tearing, the worst multi display support known to man, fuzzy stuttering audio, and high latency low bandwidth wifi.

>Meanwhile windows is a driver shit show
I have to load like 3 drivers whenever I install Windows and I never have to touch it again. Boofuckinghoo.

>he fell for the thinkpad meme

It starts. Now try to use it. And don't lie when it inevitably crashes.

What the fuck are you even doing on this board

I don't think I want to be around if Linux ever gets actual desktop market share and that basement dwelling incel code starts getting picked apart by targeted malware attacks

only true answer
Also there are some shit tier legacy programs in some companies made to work on windows and sometimes you have to put up with it at work. Other than that linux is perfectly fine, still there are way too many people buying macbooks just because for no other reason than marketing and liking to get fucked right up in the ass to feel they belong

literally says CC 2018 in the screenshot

>Other than that linux is perfectly fine
No it isn't. Stop trying to make a desktop OS out of a headless server OS.

Name 1 (ONE) desktop environment that has the ability to COMPLETELY kill cursor acceleration.
Protip: you can't because GNU/Linux developers are either neets on stinkpads like (you), or homosexual macfags.
I know you can configure some files to have no acceleration, but good luck conifguring mouse sensitivity as well. FUCK Linux (yes the kernel) for having acceleration hard coded into the damn thing.

Attached: 1542601039561.gif (477x512, 3.3M)

Abu Dhabi Potatoshit

>Linux is good for the rest of it.
Unless you want to collaborate with the rest of the world that happens to run MS Office. Not that Jow Forums would know what having a job is like.

*crashes*

>Was there ever a reason to use Windows?
Yes especially in the late 90's, and early 2000's.

Good, keep using your meme OS when adults do the actual job. Linux is shit for desktop and will always be.

>monitoring Windows
Simple WMI query pulls the names of all services you wish to monitor
>monitoring Linux
12 different scripts to pull in service names depending on what actually starts and stops the service, with even more fuckery to get around SELinux and sudo, and that doesn't even get it all because some hipster numale had to put something special in the command field of the ps output when their shitty hipster numale software runs

Being the most popular Desktop OS means it has a lot of support.

I use google sheets.
I use it on my windows desktop too.

Docs*
Sorry, my bad.

Attached: fucking lmao.png (1236x480, 103K)

>the rest of the world that happens to run MS office
Underage b&. Nobody outside of your high school uses MS office.
And Libre office and google web apps deal with those shitty file formats anyway,

>CloverOS
DOESN'T works on my machine. shitty memeflags kernel

gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros/blob/master/kernel_build.sh

the kernel is the only thing that's built with default settings

compton
remove pulseaudio

woosh

> Was there ever a reason to use Windows?

This fucker kept me on the Gates fenced community for WAAAAAAAY longer than i ever dreamed of and it was just for backing up and restoring. Thanks Steve.

Attached: ITunes_12.2_logo.png (1024x1024, 825K)

i use a $20 netbook for that

i use a win 10 VM on my debian mac air.... suprised how fast it is, thanks itunes for getting my slack ass into virtualisation

>Nobody outside of your high school uses MS office
Haha ok

>not wanting to memorise dumb shit to keep your computer working makes you unintelligent
>WHY HAVE WE BEEN STUCK AT 1% USAGE FOR 30 YEARS?! HOW CAN THIS POSSIBLY BE?!!!!11

Protip: it's this sort of utter disconnect from the real world.

>Photoshop
Nobody care
How usable are my favorites softwares (Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere Pro and Audition) on Linux?

Attached: IMG_20181114_125344.jpg (854x1280, 113K)

You can do that in Ubuntu as well. As I said, good luck configuring mouse sensitivity now. KDE has GUI for it but it doesn't really kill acceleration.

I control DPI, no need for controlling how many pixels it skips or doesn't read

>Running Photoshop on GNU\Linux
How's you do it, OP? That's the only thing that's stopping me from going full GNU

>how to run program that's had platnium compatibility (winedb) for years

>Protip: it's this sort of utter disconnect from the real world.
Grade school and tech illiterate businesses != real world. And even when you have to deal with it libreoffice, google docs, and even ms office online all work fine on linux anyway.
try typing that in your search engine of choice. It's called wine.

try using a wacom on linux, also you guys should look at it this way: If someone uses windows what does one gain switching? a windows user most likely has more to lose than to gain.

If you wanted to make money writing desktop software between 1995 to around 2005 you needed windows.

That’s what MacOS is for.

Windows doesn't have this problem.

Attached: Screenshot_1.png (120x46, 526)

>FUCK Linux (yes the kernel) for having acceleration hard coded into the damn thing
No it isn't. It has to do with your display server. In the past could control it with xinput although that's pretty much legacy and now people use some wrapper shit around libinput. If you are on wayland, it depends on what your compositor is but I'm pretty sure most of them can do it by now.

I use Windows because I play vidya and do actual work. Plus, ricing was fun, but it's mostly a waste of time that ends up looking pretty ugly

it's shopped

it's called vsync

nobody uses window decorations anyway

A usable CLI and usable window manager. No longer a second class citizen when it comes to command line software, software development tools, etc.

My company has been using google sheets dor years now.
it doesn't cost anything, and sharing documents is so easy it amazes me why some companies still pay for MS office.
There is no point on using it, really.

Usually it's simply bad management.
Remember that if something is just bad, as opposed to completely not functioning, then it will never be dropped if it's already commonplace.
This is why when you buy a fork chances are it's capable of stabbing your food, because for a fork to be bad it needs to be completely unable to stab the food, and as such a fork of this sort will never sell. But on the other hand, microsoft will live forever, because everything they make is garbage, but their products kinda work.

My father cheaped out on the computers for his company so his employees are constantly fighting windows and microshaft office. The computers have 2GBs of RAM and windows 10 already takes up all of that, so when they open office things start swapping, and it takes ages to do anything.

I showed him that if he installed a capitalist operating system with a capitalist office alternative such as libreoffice on his stalinized machines everything would be able to function flawlessly, but he said it was unviable because "it would involve losing a productive day doing the swap".

>the absolute state of loonix
I will stick to having Windows 10 and using Xubuntu in a VM. That way I can enjoy full GNU/Linux capabilities while Windows still controlls the mouse.

sorry to hear your crappy ass mouse doesn't have dpi adjustment

Your dad is peak boomer

why the fuck you have hd2000 equipped with i5-2520?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

this, working on a project where the leader insists on word docs because they "look good" is hell

Windows is capitalism

Proprietary is feudalism-communism.
Free software is basically a NAP for everyone.
Proprietary is this system where you don't own what you buy, because it still belongs to the local Lord, and because proprietary is inherently botnet, it's literally wealth redistribution.
Free software is this system where anything goes as long as you're not fucking other people over.

Attached: tmp_18335-c35d619162e7e4c2edd0ac3bbc4066cb3ee9bd98d4ce0d77b9256feb0aed4edf893176643.jpg.jpg (540x393, 20K)

> Nobody outside of your high school uses MS office.
Yeah, real companies use Lotus.

I agree with you for the most part, but does pen pressure work on that photoshop?

last thing I knew it only worked for CS2 and bellow.

>Linux shill calling anyone else pretentious

Oh ho ho

What distro did you try?

>My software
Noody cares about your pajeet software

>Yeah, real companies use Lotus.
Not since IBM bought them.

>fuck kernel for userspace problems

Have you ever run any Linux distro without any problems on a laptop with optimus? Not possible.

>optimus
Not him but I'll give it to you. NVIDIA Optimus support on GNU/Linux is a fucking nightmare, but this is only because NVIDIA won't provide proper support for it in their drivers.

I managed to get it working fine on my Lenovo Y50P a while back running Gentoo, but it is annoying having to run applications requiring the discrete GPU in a specific way every time.

xDDDD

>what is Inkscape/Gravit
>what is Scribus
>what is Lightworks/OpenShot/Blender VSE
>what are Audacity and Ardour
Now try shoving Illustrator into WINE or PlayOnLinux's ass and see what happens.

>what is Inkscape/Gravit
>what is Scribus
>what is Lightworks/OpenShot/Blender VSE
>what are Audacity and Ardour
Shitty memewares that can't get the job done

Are you using Wangblows or Loonix?
Also:
>Lightworks
>shit
Pick one.

Windows just werks
I don't see any reason to become a communist tranny

Wait a minute, you have a mouse with no DPI adjustment? You are clearly a sensitivity autist (as am I) so that's pretty incredible.

kek

>Shitty memewares that can't get the job done
Confirms that you never even tried to get anything done in them. Go back to /v/.

If you value your time then windows is the way to go
Linux is a fucking slog, of fixing shit and trying to make it work, but it NEVER will because the underlying drivers simply don't exist, or they have issues.

Simple things just don't work, it's atrocious. It's not a desktop OS.

Keep telling yourself that

>Thinks he values his time
>Posts on Jow Forums

Attached: 1541890591094.jpg (1000x1500, 197K)

I tried Inkscape and Scribus and they're both terrible and like two decades behind Adobe counterparts

unironically gyhnohme, KDE, XFCE, and MATE if you use evdev and basicly anything since forever if you know what is xinput. You do have to create a file that disables acceleration though, but its a more robust method that lets you disable acceleration for one pointing device. And no acceleration is not build into the kernel but preconfigured in the module responsible for handling input (evdev or libinput)

>lose productive day
or
>lose productive life

Attached: (PNG Image, 225 × 225 pixels).png (225x225, 5K)

CloverOS is the Gentoo experience without all of the compile time, not that compiling is a problem to begin with.

Attached: 2018-11-21-095051_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 573K)

>I use Linux on my laptops
>I use Windows on my desktop
based and redpilled

>the rest of the world that happens to run MS Office
Do you live in India? Everyone I know uses google docs.

I know for a fact KDE does, gahnoum does too afaik. Don't know about other DEs but I'm fairly certain you can disable mouse accel in GUI as well.

>reason to use Windows
Shit multi-monitor support in every Gnu/Linux DE.

Are you high? Multi monitor setups, especially with differing resolutions are a dream in Linux compared to Windows. If you're running Plasma, plug them in and bam, that's it. Just avoid Nvidia, they don't know how to make drivers properly for anything but Windows.

>I don't want to learn to code just to get it working properly.
I don't even know where to begin. I'll just ask why you're even on Jow Forums at all.

Have you tried other boards to be a brainlet on?

Can you do this in plasma?

Attached: 2018-11-21_23-26-33.png (342x109, 2K)

Yes.

Show me where exactly in screen settings in plasma you can set cloning of specifically 2 monitors out of 4. Last time i checked i could only either clone everything or extend everything.

I'm not at home right now, but I'm sure I've done this in the last year, when was the last time you used Plasma?

time spent shitposting is fun
time spent wondering your your entire development system isn't working as you want isn't fun, in fact it's the absolute opposite of fun

yes, right now. I have a 4th gen i7 and a gtx 765m. I can switch on the fly or run specific programs on one or the other.
1. Install Linux Mint
2. Click Driver Manager

wow dude hard