Linux help anyone?

I have begun trying to switch to Linux, and I am having trouble installing WINE. From what I could tell, the program has installed, but I cannot figure out how to get it to run. I am running Linux Mint 19. I had some issues, but after running the

sudo apt install -y wine-stable

command, it installed a bunch of files. Unfortunately, I can't find WINE, and I can't find anything online that helps. This is the only place I could think of.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (2000x1125, 733K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ryanstutorials.net/linuxtutorial/
linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-blizzard-battle-net-app-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux
lutris.net/downloads/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

In a terminal type 'wine program.exe' while in the same directory as what you're trying to run

This is probably bait but type WINE in the terminal

OP here

It opened a window saying that it was updating WINE, but then it closed.

OP again
This is what the terminal displayed after I typed that in.

wine: created the configuration directory '/home/bcpowerhouse/.wine'
0012:err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {00000131-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
0012:err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}
0012:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hres=0x80004002
0012:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, 80004002
0012:err:ole:get_local_server_stream Failed: 80004002
0014:err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {00000131-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
0014:err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}
0014:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hres=0x80004002
0014:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, 80004002
0014:err:ole:get_local_server_stream Failed: 80004002
Could not load wine-gecko. HTML rendering will be disabled.
Could not load wine-gecko. HTML rendering will be disabled.
wine: configuration in '/home/bcpowerhouse/.wine' has been updated.
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\program.exe"

Post a picture of your terminal

That sucks

Here ya go

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-11-20 19-56-54.png (1600x900, 377K)

Change program.exe to the actual .exe you want to run

You fucking idiot, program.exe is placeholder text for whatever the exe you're trying to run is named

Is this a troll? I'm not sure linux is for if you literally typed in program.exe instead of thing you want to run.

It worked! I assume that I do that any time I want to run a program through WINE?

I resemble that remark.

Yeah, or right click the exe and change the default to wine

I have literally never used linux before, and I installed it this morning.

>the absolute state of winbabbies

Install gentoo

Alright, so it is telling me that I am missing a required DLL, and that BattleNet will not launch.

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-11-20 20-07-16.png (1600x900, 1.74M)

Linux is not for gayming, go back to windows for your childish productivity mangling

I am just trying to get to know Linux better so that I can do actual work on it. The plan is to install Cadence OrCAD and other EE tools onto it in the future.

Programs usually come in a folder with needed files for the program to work properly

Cad is usually proprietary software and should be ignored

did you literally only copy the executable? copy the whole folder retard

Attached: richard_stallman-620x465-100590280-gallery.idge.jpg (620x465, 45K)

Copy the entire folder of battle.net stuff you need.
Battle.net has a platinum rating on wine HQ so it should work if OP grows 2 brain cells to rub together.

I am unable to ignore my job and school. If there is an open source software available for Linux that I can design circuits, VHDL, etc... on, then I would love to use that.

I do not know where "the whole folder" is. If I knew anything about how to use Linux, I wouldn't be here. It is almost as if you want people to avoid using Linux.

So don't use wine for gaming people say its good for gaming but its not I would recommend just have a windows drive along with your Linux one.

We want retards to stay out. If you're such a fucking idiot we'd rather you stick to normie computing

I do have a windows drive alongside this one, but I figured that trying to install the programs that I need for work and school would be much more difficult than a game that has a platinum rating on the WINE HQ website.

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I now that the Linux community is filled with equal parts helpful people and people who are unable to comprehend the idea that someone has never used Linux before.

Good to know that the Linux community is about as helpful as a broken elbow. Thanks user.

you literally just copy the the folder where you got the executable. holy fucking shit you retarded nigger monkey

You don't need to know anything about linux to solve his problems
But like said
2 brain cells

Jow Forums isn't the place for this type of stuff.

There are mountains of documentation on how to configure wine and how to setup individual games to work with it. It starts with a Google search and with winehq.org

In essence, RTFM.

>wine program.exe
>program.exe
kekkkk

here op, itll help you in your future
ryanstutorials.net/linuxtutorial/

Attached: sensgif.gif (250x250, 992K)

I have been searching for the past two hours, but half of the information does not address the problem I am having, and the other half ends with the person who asked the question being called an idiot for not knowing how to solve the issue on their own.

Looks like this is the latter case. Thanks Linux community! It's a wonder that Linux has not become more common!

the fact that you did this
means that you're a legit retard with no hope to learn anything even if it's spoonfed to you. no go back to wangblows and /v/

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Where did you even get the exe from.
linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-blizzard-battle-net-app-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux
If you already did this it should working.
In this image it looks like you clicked on it instead of opening it with wine. open the terminal, go to the folder it is installed in, type ls to find it's name, then type wine to run it.

The was the Battle.net setup exe from the Blizzard website.

I opened the Battle.net setup exe with WINE and installed it with that. When it tried to open Battle.net afterwards, it encountered the issue. I do not know where the files for Battle.net installed to because I am unfamiliar with the Linux file hierarchy.

Now you don't want to run the battle net installer because it is made for windows and will try to install in C:/programs and files. You want to either download a zip cointaining all the files needed or run the installer on your windows partition and copy paste it into a flash drive then onto your linux partition

Can't you try right clicking the icon and seeing if it has an option to copy it's file path or open in it's folder? It's probably in your downloads directory or something dude. try ls in your home directory, if it's not there try cd ~/Downloads && ls or just try looking for it in a GUI file manager which I think is Nemo on mint? I highly doubt this should be very difficult
I'm pretty sure that's not true, Guides on the internet say to run the installer.

Attached: 1401202002361.jpg (900x675, 138K)

I've decided that any real EE work on Linux is not worth it. As far as I have found, almost no CAD software has a Linux release, and if this is the sort of thing that needs to be done in order to get any work done on Linux, then it is not worth it. Especially with the "you're an idiot for not knowing how to do everything" attitude half of the people on here seem to have.

I'm probably just going to reformat the drive and be done with Linux for the rest of eternity. I tried it once five years ago, and I've tried it again this week. After having issues with almost everything that I have tried to install, I would rather just stick to something that actually works without hours of tedious internet searching and unhelpful forum discussions.

He's probably underage, you can't be this retarded and over 18

You wouldn't have any problems if you didn't try to do weird stuff like run windows programs or if you had any idea what you are doing. Also I googled it and wine installs to the .wine directory, you cd .wine and it'll be there. I've never even used wine and discovered this in one search.

If I shouldn't run Windows programs then I shouldn't even try Linux in the first place. EE CAD software is exclusively Windows as far as I know.

Either way, I am done. Going to reboot and reformat the drive.

That's sounds like it will be too much for you to handle, good luck.

>waahhhhh it's too hard!!
go back to wangblows 10 you fucking toddler

Yes. That's true. Running into inexplicably hostile sperging is part of the linux experience.

Attached: 1541568825445.gif (500x269, 496K)

OP you went full assburger. Never go full assburger. You probably would have typed it as is even if the command was "wine insertprogramnamehere.exe". This isn't even the expected behavior of a person who has never used a computer before. It's that basic stuff. If you have a paper form asking you to write your name, you wouldn't write "your name" to that field. People are right to laugh at you on this and you should feel bad instead of blaming the "Linux community" for being toxic. Did you really think that the .exe you want to run just happens to be named "Program"?

Anyway if you're only installing Linux to play Windows-only games with it you should use Steam for everything you can and Lutris for everything else. Don't try to install them manually from Wine.

Every day, I get up at 5 AM to go to work for eight hours only to rush to school for another three hours of classes, then I get home and try to work on this. I am sorry that I happen to have responsibilities that cause me to be mentally and physically exhausted by the end of the day. We can't all be like jobless children who have the time and energy to spend the day playing with a computer.

>get up at 5AM to go to work for 8 hours
when do you work, 7am? so you work until when, 3:30-4pm? go to school until when, 8pm? quit your fucking bitching, you have plenty of time to fucking search the issue/solution
either that or you're a shit student and your wasting your money on classes

Obviously you have never been to college, otherwise you would know that homework and studying exists. Further proof that you live a sad life.

Fresh off the boat, from Jow Forums, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on 4channel by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking Jow Forums friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't Jow Forums, kid. This is 4channel. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to /b/, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it...

>sad life
maybe, but its also obvious you've never heard of creating/sticking to a schedule
dedicate some fucking time to it on your days off then if you want to get guud, don't come on Jow Forums of all fucking places looking for advice and getting mad you get shit on you utter fucking toddler

All this bullshit to get windows programs to run in Linux, when you could've just installed windows in 20 minutes and never have to worry about any of this stupid shit ever again.

>We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with.

>You fucking idiot, program.exe is placeholder text for whatever the exe you're trying to run is named

>the absolute state of winbabbies

>Linux is not for gayming, go back to windows for your childish productivity mangling

>Cad is usually proprietary software and should be ignored

>We want retards to stay out. If you're such a fucking idiot we'd rather you stick to normie computing

>holy fucking shit you retarded nigger monkey

>it should work if OP grows 2 brain cells to rub together

>you're a legit retard with no hope to learn anything

>you can't be this retarded and over 18

>go back to wangblows 10 you fucking toddler

"Real intellectual discussion" indeed.

Lmao fuck off wintoddler

MFw lemonkey

Attached: 72713743-7653-4112-8B0C-AB3CFAECDDC1.jpg (200x200, 28K)

Attached: 1501558768652.gif (300x153, 226K)

Sure if you want to deal with a slow bloated ad infested spyware OS that sometimes forcible shuts down you computer for an hour to delete all your files and replace them software you tried to remove. And on top of all that has a hacky and weird version of bash. Linux isn't a good choice for manchildren who want to gayme all day, it's for adults.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

"i want everything spoonfed at once, the post"
op is either a master baiter or some mongoloid who can't even google for a youtube tutorial.
eitherway, fuck you op

I went to college and also know how to Google shit instead of asking a Mongolian basketweaving forum for advice

Just use Lutris like a normal person. lutris.net/downloads/

>We
No "we" would like angry shallow spergs to stay out, meaning Librefags.

You're only productive if you're getting paid retard.

lol you faggots are always bitching about how too few people use Linux and then you run off any new people you see. Idiots

OP you can stop posting now. It's not your fault you're a retarded gorilla

I can smell the autism.

Nah, OP probably tried to reformat his Windows partition.

The package is winehq-stable not wine-stable

OP already went back to Windows due to how "helpful" you people were lol

> this thread
top kek

I don't think any of us care what tech iliterates use. I want developers to use linux so they can help us make better software but plebs are useless to the linux community.

install the playonlinux package from the linux resources. it will give you what you need to work with wine more easily. it will also make virtual drives for you in your home folder.

>If I shouldn't run Windows programs then I shouldn't even try Linux in the first place.
For a retard, you're pretty top tier holy shit

Attached: 1542180930180.jpg (453x500, 21K)