My 4 year old CPU is still almost as fast and Intel's latest 14nm abortion

What went wrong?

Attached: 1526519639355.jpg (1000x1000, 116K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/nBuoe0w-7xU
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

that haven't improved on anything

they essentially got sloppy

Focused on diversity instead of improving technogy.

How is it not improving? It's not like it's a creative process. Just jam in more transistors in a small space.

How do you go backwards?

Not for long
4.20 kernel will gimp you by 20%

SHUT UP

Attached: 1532561801614.png (575x641, 13K)

Intel hasn’t solved any of these vulnerabilities on the hardware level. It’s CPU’s from the last 4 years will also be gimped, and I’m doubtful Intel has fixed ANY vulnerabilities on the hardware level for their next generation 14+++++ - they’ll likely be gimped by 4.20

well there is a limit of how many transistor you can cram, and beyond a certain point electrons start jumping though them, making the point of the transistor useless.

There's always that other CPU maker that won't get the 20% penalty

uses less energy
intel wants a huge piece from the mobile cake

>Just jam in more transistors in a small space.

Fucking genius mate, apply right now for the CTO position and give us those sweet IPC gains.

well they have a ways to go then, Intel atom is dogshit.

Underrated post.

>he doesn't know moore's law has been broken

>uses less energy
>35w TDP
shiggy

Why are Haswell i7 processors still expensive? Getting an 8th gen i5 is probably more feasible.

it is, the old i7 will never drop in price and there is no way to find motherboards

4.6ghz monster

Attached: i5 2500k.jpg (932x712, 185K)

Why isn't there a massive push to build 3D cpus?

what is a 3d gpu?

4670k here

Report in

4790k master race
Will wait for ddr5 in 2020.

sweet I also have a i5-4670k

>intel
There is your problem.

user confirmed for the second coming of Jim Keller

Attached: 1504953553870.png (484x682, 971K)

Meanwhile at Intel headquarters.
Cultural enrichment youtu.be/nBuoe0w-7xU

AMD's IPC is about 10-15% behind.

>almost as fast

Sandybridge isn't even on the same level as Haswell or even Skylake

Attached: Screenshot.png (1081x394, 44K)

"almost as fast"

intel cpus improve by at least 10% a year retarded your cpu is probably literally half as fast and you are just comparing it to a lower end model that's just a rebrand.

My AMD ryzen CPU is almost as fast as op's 4 year old CPU.

>What went wrong?
Retardness, (You) is retard.

Attached: UPGRADE2010.png (836x768, 17K)

>10% a year
go away shill

Attached: 1526820604.jpg (500x703, 30K)

"10% a year"
Stop going on the internet to tell lies.

Nothing. Everything is absolutely OK. Finally I don't have to upgrade every two years or so. It saves a lot of money.

Coffee lake was -1% faster. Yes, - .

A 4790k is going to get shit on by a 8 core 5.3ghz ddr4 5200mhz i7 9700k.stop deluding yourself

i've seen things that say otherwise. charts n shit.

No. On average, Zen+ is only about 3-5% behind Coffee Lake in IPC in non-memory bound workloads (and using a memory bound workload to test IPC is idiotic, because you're just deliberately confounding memory latency with IPC by doing so).

Good thing I'm not running Linux then.

But alot lower clock and higher memory latency

Soon enough intel will be so gimped that my old fx will look fast.

>What went wrong?
AMD Bulldozer, unironically. If AMD put up more of a fight earlier, years of intel stagnation wouldn't happen.
But Bulldozer happened, then there were rumors on AMD pulling out from mainstream CPUs completely and just staying in mobile/apu market, so intel was all like "eh, fuck R&D"

Because it wouldn't help much? It'd still increase power consumption, and create serious cooling problems

>Clock speed and memory latency are not IPC.
IPC means literally how many instructions the cpu can execute per clock cycle. It's a very vague parameter as it doesn't say what specific instructions are to be used, so IPC depends on specific use cases.
If the CPU can execute less instructions because of memory latency resulting from shitty memory controller - which is an integral part of the CPU now - then it DOES contribute to the overall IPC and should be counted.

Clock speed and memory latency are not IPC.

Coffee Lake's 10-15% per core performance advantage over Zen+ is roughly equal to their 15% clock speed advantage.

Clock speed and memory latency are not IPC.

Zen2 aims to increase IPC, decrease memory latency, and increase clocks simultaneously, so it will be interesting to see how much Zen2 is able to improve in each area.

No. If you wanted to measure the memory latency of competing architectures and show its influence on performance results you could do so directly by measuring memory latency and showing the performance difference on applications that depend on memory latency.

IPC is normally quite rightly tested on workloads that are not sensitive to memory latency so you can measure how much work the CPU can do per clock if fully fed. You are deliberately confounding results be introducing additional variables that can be measured and tested separately.

Moore's Law stopped being true.

If both AMD and TSMC end up not lying it will surpass Intel in IPC and reach higher clocks than current ryzens. Infinity fabric multiplier might become independent from RAM speed as well since this didn't pay off as much as they hoped. But it's all a speculation. Time will tell.

For Intel.

>You are deliberately confounding results be introducing additional variables that can be measured and tested separately.
And you're deliberatery creating a false picture of performance that is not in any way relatable to real work performance, because it is virtually always sensitive to memory latency. And if said latency is fault of CPU itself, it can't be omitted in fair comparison.

lol u fucking idiot windows will suffer from the same performance regressions as well

Im still using an 11 year old core2duo. I built my current pc in 2007. I would never have expected that id end up using it this long.

I was thinking of building a new pc with ryzen but ram is so expensive and my core2duo system still does everything i need.

I5 2200 reporting in. No plans to replace in the next 2 years.

>Im still using an 11 year old core2duo
based pajeet

a very fast one

this

Why don't they make bigger CPUs? Surely it would be faster.

4790k repootin
I seriously can't find an excuse to upgrade. When my phenom ii x6 spontaneously combusted I got a cheap g3258 in 2015 and ran that at 4ghz for a year, then got the 4790k after I had money. Happiest investment I've ever made in upgrades.

Making the chip bigger results in an exponential* increase in the chance of the chip having a manufacturing defect in it, so you sell fewer chips off every wafer and throw more of them in the bin.
* = I don't know if it's actually exponential but it's something worse than linear.

4690k here. ill be upgrading to zen 2 threadripper. other than that there's no reason

This is the only reason I ended up replacing my 5820k

Motherboard fried my RAM, so needed new RAM and MB, but a new X99 MB was ~$350 minimum and went up to $550+ for any higher end models.

At those prices, might as well just buy 8th or 9th gen new.

assuming a square die it would be exponential since the area of the die would grow exponentially as the sides increase linearly

>i5
Did you mean i3?
4c/4t is fucking over, mate.
Actually, it's been over for a while.
Really makes you think about how long those 6 cores w/o hyperthreading will last.

Zen2 is a fucking monster on paper.
But you never know.
AMD does this thing where they totally underwhelm expectations from time to time.

>2025
>core i51 2900K on 14nm+++++++++
>Sold with heat spreader removed so you can apply the TIM of your choice.
>224 cores 95W TDP, eating up 2000W at the wall.
>Nobody has figured out how to cool this thing.
>AMD zen10 256 cores 2nm. 100W TDP, consuming 100W at the wall.

Intel still outselling AMD for some reason.

>monster
my ryzen 2600 runs at 4.5ghz aircooled and beats that shit in every single aspect

>Zen+
>4.5Ghz
>aircooled

I don't believe you.
Or you've hit the lottery on top of silicon lottery.

Power consumption is hardly the biggest concern for top of the line CPUs

I'm on a 4.7GHz 4790K, I can't really see a reason to upgrade either.

Probably suicide voltages, which desu isn't so bad since the 2600 is so cheap. Like
>You change your thermal paste every six months? Try changing out your CPU.

4.5Ghz on air is pure fantasy, or you've got one those super high end motherboards with actual decent VRMs and chokes with some solid VRM heatsinks or dedicated cooling.

4.2Ghz is really about all you should EXPECT with decent air cooling and reasonable voltage with a normal mid-range motherboard.

>if you're not a consumerist drone you're a third worlder
great logic dude

x86 is a shitheap architecture

intel needs to switch to RISC V

they actually are doing this, that's why intel can't compete with AMD on the price/perf front.

>totally underwhelm expectations from time to time.
try almost all the time

Well, I was pleased with Zen and Polaris when they came out. The pricing is what makes it good, though.
I'm just being cautious here, but from everything we've seen, zen2 should seriously kick some asses.

3570k niggas where u at

Good thing I haven't upgraded windows since 2013. People are so gullible these days.

Wow, I hope you don't upgrade your drivers as well.

Only my GPU drivers

How is it amds fault? Without bulldozer there would be no zen
I'd gladly go through another dry spell if it meant a good arch
Intel are fucked it's nothing to do with amd the mobile segment is huge arm will likely kill what's left of Intel after amd takes the server segment

Mhhh.
You do realize GPU vendors end up updating their drivers every time a new major win update happens?
I'm actually puzzled it lets you update at all.

> so intel was all like "eh, fuck R&D"
It was the plan all along

What the fuck are you talking about I just download the crappy 500MB .exe off AMD's website and am done with it.

You will run into compatibility issues eventually.
Those MS updates change your system dlls, so eventually the driver will call something you don't have.
Blue screen, hang, or whatever.
What makes you think the driver team will account for outdated OS versions?

>What went wrong?
EUV lithography

4790k slaughters everything for me, and has for years. I have zero reason to upgrade until this thing burns out.

Then I'll just stop updating my drivers. I have a suspicion they're gimping my shit anyways.

>company starts focusing on diversity
>goes to fucking shit
Every. Single. Time.

It's been fine because dx11 has been out forever.
And dx12 a turd.
So function calls are very much defined.
You're wrong about gimping, though.
The newer dx11 dll might have faster code than what you got. But nothing AMD can do about it.

No competition

>aircooling means a piece of aluminum with a 60mm cooling fan
Find a proper heatsink instead of playing with your cute and girly water bottles

I get better temps with noctua but shit is just too massive

Attached: cooler-master-masterair-maker-8.jpg (600x400, 42K)

you don't have to lie on the internet user.

lmao, so full of shit.

Even AIO water loops that outperform the Big ass Noctua NH-D15, can barely get a stable 4.2Ghz+ with Zen+.

As the other dude said, you're more than likely running suicide volts 24/7 to sustain 4.5Ghz on air, and I bet if you actually stress tested it for more than 30 minutes, you'd probably crash.

No. IPC is not an overall measure of CPU performance, it's a measure of one aspect of CPU performance. Exactly your error is that you are trying to use a measure of one type of performance to capture multiple types of performance differences.

It's like arguing that clock speed advantages should be included when measuring IPC because they affect real world performance, and an IPC comparison that didn't allow higher clocks makes the comparison unfair.

IPC, clock speed and memory latency are separate aspects of CPU performance and should be measured and compared separately. If you want to compare all of them simultaneously then you are just doing regular comparison benchmarking and not testing any specific aspect of CPU performance.

This right here. Right around that time jewtel made a big push for replacing it's white and East Asian male workforce for the sake of diversity. Thousands of people were straight up fired.

And now they can't do shit right. Was another ending even possible?

I've got a D15. What's your fucking point?

Post proof I still beat the 2600 only on single core im at 4.9 ghz.

I still use a 3770k and it's still great

Even better is that I found the whole system at a thrift store for $75 2.5 years ago