Linux in music production

Linux needs to get its shit together and start to properly support commercial music production systems and VST:is or it will never replace Windows in the field of music production

Attached: 51OzI30txoL._SY445_.jpg (302x445, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/AudioHandbook
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV_Linux
soundcloud.com/dusthillguy
warosu.org/g/?task=search&ghost=yes&search_text=Mac industry standard music
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Windows will never replace mac for audio production. Asio is garbage ad ram usage is brutal theres so much latency

Macs have 80% of the production markets, Windows has 19%, nobody can use Linux because software wont work

>using drum samples ever
>hur linux sucks for mjewsic scoring
get a real drumset, a pack of cheap mics, a cheap mixer and a good interface you talentless lazy faggot
>b..but muh faggy midi electroshit
>b...but linux cant into protools/cubase
use ardour or reaper

Attached: [email protected] (642x361, 54K)

help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/AudioHandbook

Well it's open source. Why don't you make it better OP? Or are you just the kind of person who only complains about things?

real men use live instruments + audacity

>Macs have 80% of the production markets, Windows has 19%,
Where are you getting these numbers from?

Is AV Linux worth a damn?
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV_Linux

Based, I seriously tried with ubuntu studio and using renoise, admittedly using self-contained FX DSPs and U-he stuff makes it just bearable enough to work with. But that's just the bare minimum Windows alone has so many good VSTs.

You think those rainbow hair soundcloud retards would be able to use linux?

mpd + ncmpcpp + old thinkpad + milkytraker

Linux is a kernel, retard.

settle down, grampa

Attached: 1539664563989.png (376x341, 103K)

Linux has shit audio latency because the sound system is a fucking mess. So it's actually the worst especially for recording live instruments. The reason Mac is so much better is because hardware has low level access to the audio interface, and this was baked in from day one, whereas in Windows and Linux it was an afterthought.

>musician wants to do some recording
>just dive into the kernel and fix linux's fucked up audio system

Attached: 1507686249571.png (645x729, 70K)

Can someone explain the realtime kernel to me? is it worth doing kernel swap / dual boot?

I've actually produced (record+mix+master) a couple albums and have to say mac is the easiest thing to deal with, though it has to be hackintosh or you have to spend 8x money on an actual mac that can do the same shit.

Windows has a huge problem with 32 vs. 64 bit VSTs and dealing with them is a fucking pain in the ass. Low level audio I/O is so much better, don't have to deal with shitty windows ASIO.

idk bois, it seems like this is one of the things where mac (software) is so much better

>implying
soundcloud.com/dusthillguy

I unironically like both of those.

>linux's fucked up audio system
Wat. Pulseaudio is far better than Windows' crap already, and there's also JACK for professional users.

can't you use wine for that?

M O C
O
C

his own ass, probably is one of those that think logic is the only daw out there. logic and protools memed themselves into being the "professional" tools and people never question it so they are dominant in recording studios but FL (win exclusive until few version ago) outnumbers all other daws like windows outnumbers other os.

>blaming hardware problems on software

Attached: 4sm.png (798x448, 291K)

Look, it's him again. He always posts that shit warosu.org/g/?task=search&ghost=yes&search_text=Mac industry standard music

some rare softwares will actually work with wine but linux sound system will usually kill the mood

That's a yes. You are the kind of person that sits around and complains instead of trying to help fix the problems in front of them. No one's saying you need to be one writing kernel code, intelligently articulating and documenting your specific problems and working to raise the visibility of those issues would be a great start. Generally stating
>Linux needs to get its shit together and start to properly support commercial music production systems and VST:is or it will never replace Windows in the field of music production
achieves nothing.

>Windows has a huge problem with 32 vs. 64 bit VSTs and dealing with them is a fucking pain in the ass. Low level audio I/O is so much better, don't have to deal with shitty windows ASIO.
What the fuck are you talking about? 32 bit VSTs and DAWs are practically dead. Nobody uses 32 bit VSTs anymore. Second of all Windows' low latency API had been reworked with Windows 8. You don't even need ASIO anymore. You do realize that pretty much every AU plugin is basically a VST plugin (without VST3 features), right?

i know nothing about this but you can see semi pro audio is possible with jack

if you want to make music buy a 100$ second hand MacBook like every one does.

His fanny obviously, I am more inclined to examine and take or leave personal opinions than percentages. People who spout such nonsense are likely ones who have never been tasked to calculate the likelihood of inclusion in a confidence interval.

with a cheap ass drumset and cheap ass mics, ezdrummer plus an ordinary eletronic drumset will legit sound better while costing a fraction

>not realizing just how much pooetering fucked up linux.
At least there's a low latency kernel available, right?

>I don't know what JACK is

using reaper is like using sandpaper to wipe yourself after taking a shit

Just convince RME to make their software for linux too.

>crashes

as compared to what program?

FL outnumbers all other DAWs because it's easy to pirate, that doesn't make it good. Ableton Live, Studio One, Reaper, Logic are all better. You're completely right, though, a lot of professionals (who should know better) use Logic or Pro Tools because "that's what everyone else uses and that obviously means it's the best". It drives me nuts, especially the people who tolerate Avid's bullshit.

You got that backwards, buddy. Its the VSTs and DAWS that need to get their shit together and start supporting Linux. (Which is starting to happen, look at Bitwig)

>professional
>can't even fix the tools he uses
Abbey Road technicians fucking built instruments, fuck off poser

Attached: ca832bf6.jpg (247x226, 12K)

So how many patches have you gotten accepted to the kernel? Surely as a full-time linux user there must be some things that you didn't like?

I fixed a bug in realtek network driver because it was buggy, but the kernel has worked perfectly for everything I use it for

oh and forgot that I have submitted dozens of patches for Krita and Blender
t.

Why would devs waste their time with an OS only neckbeards and bitfarmers use?

Ardour And JACK superior combo for recording and mixing. Released 2 EPs and LP produced on this.