Why aren't you a digital nomad?

Why aren't you a digital nomad?

Attached: 5ee8ba1c-1eb2-4dd7-a965-32f3c0e8b6f8.jpg (897x591, 179K)

Other urls found in this thread:

growthhax.com/about-us
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

gasoline is expensive

a what

Attached: 1517174507982.png (720x672, 401K)

what in the fuck is a digital nomad you disgusting putrid incel

Attached: 1542685863216.png (1334x750, 895K)

im volcel

Freelancers pulling $200K+ net income who fuck off to sunny, low-cost-of-living countries like Thailand 9 months of the year while working on a client project remotely.

That's not a nomad and I'd rather be poor working at a farm in varg-land than be an international slave hedonist

how does one do that?
I'm a web developer specializing in solutions using AWS

How the fuck have you never heard of this? Sometimes I feel most posters on Jow Forums are 40+ years old.

It's basically working remotely from your laptop while traveling. No house, no kids, no other obligations. Just work a few hours, and you're free for the rest of the day wherever you're currently traveling.

Think of it as working to travel indefinitely as long as you have work.

I'd kill do this, just need more skills and savings to pull it off

>No kids
That is sad. Imagine being 40 and not having a mini-you. Although you might be an incel, in which case carry on

Attached: 00000_5ddoAmitCLZ_600x450.jpg (600x450, 48K)

sounds like a mpractical pipe dream for most people
but yeah we all should have heard of these because we're all tweens who need ot keep up to date with every retarded new trend

I think I am

This only work if you're some shitty web or app developer.

No work of significance can be done while continuously vacationing.

That's literally the kind of people doing this. I think it takes a lack of shame in very aggressive self promotion, and a shotgun approach until you get your first few clients somehow.

Cuz $200K/yr is chump change

this is exactly how it's done.

>work of significance
>web "programming"
choose one

Because that shit only works if you can land a cushy job like writing, editing, translating, youtube faggotry, website/forum admin, etc. Things you can basically do anywhere.

Most tech jobs require you to be on site at least some of the time. Some employers will want you in the office looking busy every day even if there's no work.

The most patrician way to do it would be to own property, rent it out, and hire a company to manage it for you. They get to do all the landlord bullshit, you just passively collect money. You earn less than if you were willing to do it yourself, but who cares? Just buy more property.

>hate using laptops
>want to settle down and start a family
>good coder but not passionate about it
>don't earn enough to travel
It's a lifestyle for the young and reckless. I am neither.

>m'practical

Attached: tipsfedora.jpg (442x293, 29K)

this
It's not the kind of opportunity that you can create by sheer willpower. You have to fall into it.

I'm an algorithmic monad if that counts?

*tips*

Attached: winnebiko.jpg (1228x892, 280K)

Anyone who could make 200k a year doing 100% remote work could easily get 500k a year as a senior developer at a Silicon Valley company. You end up saving much less, and postpone actual retirement.

> be technomad
> have nice hardware
> be stabbed and mugged by niggers
please do it. we need more jobs in the real world.

Seems great to do for a couple years though. I imagine traveling isn’t quite the same when you’re much older

I wouldn't call 30 "old".

Freelancing is hell, unlimited pto & healthcare is a better deal

I was a neet for 2 years, I know what retirement feels like, and it's not pretty.

>never knowing when the paychecks will stop

Be nomad: Nice 2 bed apartment for $400 in SE Asia cleaned 3 times a week, rent an office for $100 tea lady included. Cheap good food drink, women, go out every night, you are beyond top tier in a world with basically no laws everywhere.

Be FAANG developer in SF: earn $150k live in house with 4 other smelly neckbeards in same position, old fat locals who worked a factory job in the 70's and own their home outright are more desirable than you to women, eat in to save money for rent, commute extensively. Living the meme.

Good job ignoring his other statement, retard. If you're making 150k on site in SF you'll be unironically making 20k when working for a company that allows working remotely.

My country provides universal healthcare like an actual rich developed country does. Regardless, expat health insurance in Asia is like 80 a month to get into the private system with Western trained doctors.

This and this alone is the only reason I would never do it. Fucking hell, I've seen my parents own their own business and the fear takes a toll

It was an example, the original statement is bullshit, there's no where near the water difference, I've taken work for American companies and gotten paid the same as my stateside colleagues while living in Thailand.
Your all just insular dumbfucks who know nothing about remote work.
Every gitlab employee is remote. All 350, there's optional gatherings each year.

I'm actually in a similar situation, contracting for a FAANG 100% remote. They pay me less than onsite employees of course but it's still enough to nomad and only work 20-25 hours a week. I am considering to convert to full-time onsite at the same company (salary would double, but rent would triple). Any thoughts?

i feel like they will just inherit my mental illnesses

>Any thoughts?
avoid the fulltime on-site thing like the plague.

water / wage / whatever

life got fucking good once i broke out of open plan office hell

>Your all just insular dumbfucks who know nothing about remote work.
It is amazing how scared programmers these days seem to be.

>Your all just insular dumbfucks who know nothing about remote work.
>Every gitlab employee is remote
Why do you assume everyone on this board is a fucking code monkey? This is a general tech board. How would I, a mech engineer even begin to work remotely? It's unheard of. Now fuck off.

Hey guys just a friendly reminder digital nomads by their very nature cannot be wagecucks. If you're a digital nomad you are an entrepreneur, not someone who just works remotely. There really is a digital nomad, and he really is doing something, but the condition isn't satisfied unless he is also an entrepreneur.

>How would I, a mech engineer even begin to work remotely?
With that attitude, you never will.

Yeah you sound like a real problem solver dickhead

>when you don't even know what to do when you are by yourself...you get bored with your own self.

Attached: 1539901351531s.jpg (209x250, 4K)

The theory is if my rent is X and I make Y, I can save Z per year. But if my rent goes to 3X and I make 2Y, then I save whatever 2Y - 3X is. For concrete example, let's say my rent is $1k/month (12k/year) and I make 70k. With just those rough expenses I save $58k per year (minus tax).
But my rent goes up to $3k/month ($36k/year) and salary to $140k, I'm now saving 140-36k = $104k per year (minus tax).

'digital nomads' are usually shitty blogger types
their blogs aren't even well thought out or interesting
they are also surface level onions brad types who have never taken up a serious endeavor their entire lives

ok, that makes sense. but, you're leaving out some important items. you mentioned that you currently work 20-25 hours/week remotely. well, when you're full-time in the office, that will be more like 60 hours/week. so you're quality of life goes down the tubes (unless your home life is a wreck). plus, you have to get to and from the office 5 days a week. that's money and time down the drain. and don't forget cost for lunches. also, when you work remotely, you have more autonomy and your work day is more flexible. when you go into the office every day, it's not as easy to run simple errands.

Wagie, wagie, get in cagie,
Boss needs help! Don't be lazy!
Zero breaks will make you crazy?
I'll tell the guards to get their tazie.
Need to get those new iPhones,
Gotta pay those student loans.
Work your fingers to the bone,
Bosses need vacation homes.
Don't trust unions, vote in pairs,
Buy all of boss's consumer wares.
We'll stay seated in our chairs,
And make our bosses millionaires.
Love your work! Love the pain!
Feel the life drain from your brain.
Think of all you have to gain,
As your dreams go down the drain.
Come on wagie, join the crew,
Don't you want your wages too?
And if the bossman makes you blue,
You deserve it. You're a tool.
Weekend comes round after ages,
You can come collect your wages.
Throw your parties! Have your rages!
Then get back into your cages
NEET is comfy
NEET is cool
NEET is free from work and school
Wagie trapped and wagie dies
NEET eats tendies, sauce and fries

Attached: amazonpatent.jpg (1500x1200, 257K)

aka retards with no real friends, who will never be part of a community, who take advangage of broken countries wrecked by the west, all the while creating garbage apps designed to exploit the tech illiterate.
Hope lots of digital nomads have been murdered.

'Freelancers' earning $200 a month on Upwork living in a fleapit room in Chiang Mai whilst acting like Elon Musk as they brag to whole world about their "lean startup"

ftfy

>who will never be part of a community
communities arent real
id rather be part of no community than hang out with some faggot omega male programmers at work

top onions

That shit is onions as fuck is the only way to put it. You have to have no real goals in life to fall for that meme.

you are just jealous that you aren't a web-dev master race

>their blogs aren't even well thought out or interesting
they're not meant to be. they're just meant to make money

Sounds depressing as shit

Why would a company with superior robot workers spend so much to hire people and put them in cages?

Spoken like a true subhuman autist

Romania has cheap fast fiber internet in literal medieval towns, public healthcare is garbage but private healthcare is cheap and decent. Food is cheap and tasty, and rent is dirt cheap. The problem is the drivers are absolutely suicidal. Driving from a town to another means you will encounter at least ten dangerous overtakes where you have to brake. This is the real reason I will never want to live as a nomad in a shithole. Shitholes are shitholes for a reason. The really based option is living in the countryside of a first world country. You get the civilised culture of the first world, stay away from the degenerates of the city, have low living expenses, enjoy federal subsidies that originate from said degenerate cities.

alright then, what's your "community"? Are you best buddies with all your neighbors like you're still living in the 19th century?

Most people don't actually get to do this.

NPC

Attached: iNudQFW.jpg (1080x1080, 92K)

I feel bad for someone who's never known it

This but unironically

they don't exist anymore
otherwise we wouldn't be posting on Jow Forums

based and redpilled

I'm not best buddies, but I'm friends with all my neighbors, yeah. My car got broken into a few months ago, and my neighbor across the street gave me the security cam footage. I go to BBQs at my next-door neighbor's house, and my neighbor down the street mows my front lawn for me because he has a big riding mower. I don't know why you think talking to your neighbors is somehow weird or unheard of.
Besides that, when I say community, I don't mean just my immediate neighbors. I know a lot of people in the city that I live in that are into the same sorts of things I'm into, I have friends that I do things with, people put events on...
You know... socializing with people?
I guess you could do the same thing in Thailand, but it would be a hell of a lot harder as a white person who doesn't actually speak Thai and didn't grow up in the culture at all. Plus, "Nomand" kind of implies not staying in one place for long, which makes being part of a community basically impossible.

Traveling to SE Asia like tens of thousands of other Americans in a desperate search for meaning in your life is NPC as fuck dude.

You could literally bake a pie and bring it to your neighbor right now, and there's a 90% chance they'd accept it and take it as a very nice gesture.

>the fear takes a toll
Lol no, at least not as a software developer. If I can't find any work as a freelancer anymore, I can always go back to being an employee. There's just such a high demand that it would take 2 weeks before you have a signed contract.

Everyone I've met in my city into my interests/line of work is either 10 years younger or 20 years older than me, and usually autistic as fuck

Why would I want a mini me? >Saving
>Silicon Valley
Unless you want to live in a trailer (which one guy does/did and was in the papers) that ain't happening

actually you end up funding the degenerate cities.
t. lives in amerika

my dad is a "senior" mechanical engineer and works from home probably 60% of the year. The only time he spends in the office is meetings/project deadline days

Basically this.
Picture unrelated.

Attached: 1542757816888.png (760x572, 247K)

The kind of person who likes this way of life probably isn't very interested in actual retirement.

>true subhuman autist
Wrong website to say such things.
Some people just aren't like you on the inside. Ironically, not realizing this and failing to relate to them makes you the autist. They have different needs and value different kinds of experiences, in large part for genetic and early childhood reasons. Today's digital nomad is probably the kind of person who would have left his come country for the colonies a few centuries ago - an individualist frontier type.

>Today's digital nomad is probably the kind of person who would have left his come country for the colonies a few centuries ago - an individualist frontier type.
you cant take selfies on the frontier

that's extremely selfish, not having kids is different but what about responsibilities of your family (father and mother) they worked their way to raise you, paid for everything you wanted, made you capable enough for earning by your own hands, do you think it would be fair that you run away on eternal vacation or don't even think about helping them financially? who do you think will pay for the food to be on table after your father gets retired. that's really selfish I dont know about developed countries but here there is no child support or whatever people raise kids and educate them from their own money. and running away the moment one becomes capable of functioning in society is really wrong.
that's probably my prime motivation for trying my best.

you still make money while you're on 'vacation', that's the point

>Thailand
>low-cost-of-living
lolnot, the king want too mach money
realy low cost some muslim countres or africa

This guy Rob Ryan actually does just that growthhax.com/about-us (notice the globe instead of a flag). He says he lives on airbnbs and that his belongings are just whatever he can cram into his luggage. I don't think it's too sustainable tho

Why be a digital nomad when I could be a digital monad instead

cos i hate traveling and hot weather

>I owe my father financially for bringing me into existence without my permission
why are breeders such cucks?

>Imagine being 40 with no kids
I'm 23 and my parents are mid 40s. Their life sucks because they spend 90% of their income supporting my siblings I'd rather not be a parent.

>lolnot, the king want too mach money
>realy low cost some muslim countres or africa
Cheap 14 year old hookers or a country with no alcohol and possibility to get your head removed.
Hard choice.

>t. 30 y.o. boomer

>not having any savings or passive income of some sorts
imagine being this useless

I'm a digital minimalist. I just formatted about 4 TB worth of data and my backup fit on a 2 gb free Hershey's chocolate flash drive.

sounds degenerate

Sounds super practical and doable just about anywhere, thanks man!

Sounds comfy

Jesus christ you are a fucking faggot.

Your idyllic "Leave it to Beaver" boomer neighbor lifestyle bullshit is fucking NPC compared to, say, going out and being an entrepreneur, which is masculine as fuck.

Attached: boring as fuck.png (617x715, 487K)

Because I'm not a refugee - luxury or otherwise - in my own fucking country, that's why.

I want things like friends, stability, and a nice place to live.

You fuckin idiot, i am 45 and heard of it years ago, yet i can tell you that for most of the people such a lifestyle is not possible.

We can't all be web designers, programmers and shit like this lurking on fiverr. Sure, these professions are well needed, but who's gonna produce the shit you're calling a computer, car, bike, machinery and so on?

because I like civilization