How does OpenBSD manage to use so little ram?

how does OpenBSD manage to use so little ram?
Also why does vim on OBSD not prompt me to donate to niglets in Shenzeng, Africa?
Also that netofetch logo is adorable. I think I found my new OS, Jow Forums.

Attached: 2018-11-20-215530_1024x768_scrot.png (1024x768, 72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14709256
openbsd.org/ftp.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

here it is in action
default font rendering isn't too bad either.

Attached: 2018-11-20-215759_1024x768_scrot.png (1024x768, 303K)

>84mb ram
>Virtual Machine
Are you retarded?

that's with a full xserver and dwm running
goes up to ~250 with qutebrowser and some tabs open
honestly really fucking impressive. This is top tier OS for older computers.

>This is top tier OS for older computers.
OpenBSD is literally one of the slowest UNIX-style systems in current usage

based dwm poster

uses even less if you dont use xorg

Attached: 1512559242636.png (970x320, 11K)

how so?
It seemed plenty fast to me. If you're talking about smt you can turn that on manually, but make has no problem using more threads even with it off.
I have my own config.h and dwm.c that has compiled just fine on every single OS I've tried it on so far. dwm is based for using different OS's and not wanting to rewrite configs.

Attached: 2018-11-20-1542770141.png (1920x1080, 3.24M)

what do you use that for?

its my irc shitposting machine

Attached: 1514308046322.png (689x333, 6K)

>This is top tier OS for older computers
no actually it's top shit since they implemented library randomization on startup that you can't disable. it takes way to long on a shit tier cpu.
>news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14709256

again on a 1 core VM it seemed plenty fast.
Have you tried openbsd at all or are you just a seething gnu/retard?

You can accomplish the same low RAM usage on GNU by disabling kernel features that OpenBSD doesn't even support.

linux is bloated as fuck, there's no helping it anymore.

>Only works on thinkpads made in 2006
nice operating system you got there fagtrons

>supposedly secure OS
>runs programs and web browser as root
user...

>df h
>df-h

OP was logged in as root

>still using conky
2006 called, they want their look back.

it's gonna be 2030 and I'll still have my comfy conky config eating up resources in the background.
try and stop me

>how does OpenBSD manage to use so little ram?
The kernel is smaller than the default linux one

uses even less if you don't use it at all

I have a Raspi3 seedbox that doesn't need X, any reason why I should install it?

what is with these screenshots and the low resolutions?

Amazing. What notebook is this?

Clearly the best option for OpenBSD.

You can disable it user, it's library_aslr in rc.conf

openbsd is literally designed to be slow like this isnt something thats up for debate its about security not performance

i think it's more about "correctness" than security. i'd much rather they used an easier to understand implementation for some feature than an ugly performance hack.

OpenBSD is slow for some things on fast machines (because it cant make use of the machines speed) but will be very fast in slow machines because it is so low on resources

the performance should be mostly comparable since the biglock's been reduced over the years, the number one bottleneck would probably be the default settings with the filesystem driver/default hyperthreading option.

literally says in the pic

S E E T H I N G

Prime reasons to chose your OS. I'm convinced too

You're new on Jow Forums?

>great builtin documentation
>simple kernel
>lots of sometimes forked code in the base install that's been simplified (etc sudo completely removed, doas instead, httpd & relayd instead of nginx)
>minimal, init system is a set of scripts
>simplified surface relative to linux, ie pledge, unveil and ktrace
>heavy emphasis on little complexity (ie no acls)
>devs eat their own dogfood
>unopinionated in your install requirements (not much preinstalled, preinstalled x is just a login manager and a lightweight wm)
>well known for security and defensive coding
>founder is extremely opinionated about security and earlier this year preemptively disabled hyperthreading when there were rumours that it had side channel attacks

a lot of people, myself included, view it as a more cohesive platform to work on because of the differences in philosophy to other systems and that it was developed as an entire platform instead of a kernel and "build on top of it and everything is different everywhere you go" kind of deal. you might benefit the most from trying it in a vm and seeing if it agrees with your sensibilities. if you reply in these threads someone will always answer any questions you have.

Trump uses openbsd.
So does Julian assange.
Only republishits use this Russian garbage

Attached: abbb248.jpg (1024x953, 123K)

not sure why i wrote ktrace here. maybe because am trying to debug some other code atm. meant to write "kqueue".

Theo de Raadt is a Tech Priest.

Guess so

Attached: 1542700019523.png (525x794, 620K)

not the user you replied to, but seems interesting. Gonna pick one of them and try it out

if you mean version, then you'd be best off with 6.4 (stable) from a mirror at openbsd.org/ftp.html . if you're writing to a usb/using a vm, then use "install64.fs" or "miniroot64.fs". if you're using a cd, then "install64.iso"/"miniroot64.iso". good luck!

thanks!

why am i sexually attracted to an ascii picture of a fish???

it was 5am don't bully

>lips ripe to SUCC