Linux vs Windows

I'm buying a dirt cheap laptop from a mate but it uses linux. I've only ever owned windows and very rarely used Mac. Should I just get windows? Is Linux better? What do y'all think?

Attached: images (1).jpg (300x175, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Install gentoo

If you like to fiddle with stuff use something like arch or Ubuntu server and set stuff up yourself. If you want things to just work™ use Ubuntu or Mint. For a very low power machine gnu/linux is, depending on the hardware support, pretty good. Most manufacturers of those generic laptop don't do much custom stuff so the generic drivers work for most of them

A dirt cheap laptop will likely work better with Linux than it would with windows.

Install gentoo

Unironically install gentoo

Just install Ubuntu or Debian, you'll never look back.

don't bother with Linux unless you want to ditch windows completely, if you're not passionate about learning "Linux" your just gonna end up salty

Linux is a kernel.

What're the specs? What are you using it for?

install gentoo

Personally I think windows is better if you aren't interested in tinkering around and just want to "do stuff" on the computer like a normal person.

However by all means if you're interested in more 'advanced' computing, writing code, mucking around with settings and so forth (just for fun, not for any particular benefit to you usage), then try linux.

As far as general user-friendliness for your average computer user, I would far rate windows over linux.

linux is great, go with something kde if you want a windows like UI (kubuntu is a good choice)

linux has a lot of pro's, especially if your a dev / power user. get comfy with the command line. overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/ will help a lot

for things like gaming, you can use steam, or any of the workarrounds (check out levelone tech's guides on linux gaming)... if its a cheap laptop, i dont think you care about gaming though

Linux is a meme, everyone here is really running Windows

If its already set up and working, I think you should try using it to see what its like then go back to windows.

insert dildoo

Nope.

Install Debian

Stick to windows unless you have a specific reason to use linux.

Hackintosh it

>Is Linux better?
yes

Ubuntu 16.04 is many times faster that Windows 10 on my Desktop in every regard. I think you'll like linux if you can learn about it as you go and don't give up right away.

Just remember: If it's too hard, then you're retarded. :D