Previous thread:

Attached: 133.jpg (453x453, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jamielinux.com/docs/openssl-certificate-authority/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130918
bing.com/search?q=personal certificate authority
office.live.com/start/Excel.aspx)
youtu.be/FQcRKJMW1mU?t=269
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232728&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

My wife is so cute.

How's import duty for buying stuff from Japan on Ebay or Yahoo auctions? I'm looking at getting a new (vintage) turntable in the future and want to know if I'll need to save up more than just the worth of the turntable + shipping in case. Average price of it is $600.

If I set MSI afterburner to monitor ram usage when playing games will it display how much ram is being used by the game or by the entire system?

Guys, can someone please point me to any resources for https, SSL/TLS and setting up my own CA for testing? My attempts have resulted in a lot of Pajeets and I feel like such a brainlet. Why is openssl so confusing with each command taking so many arguments? If anyone is aware of some brainlet friendly resources for learning the above, in particular setting up a CA for testing purposes I would be very grateful.

i wanna fug god

Should just be the 8% sales tax in Japan. You're likely going to have to go through an import company though, most Japanese won't ship outside of the country.

I'm trying to run a game through steam proton.

Error occurred at 2018-11-21_090948.
Z:\home\moss\.local\share\Steam\steamapps\common\Slap City\Slap City.exe, run by steamuser.
12% memory in use.
4096 MB physical memory [4096 MB free].
4096 MB paging file [-2048 MB free].
4096 MB user address space [4096 MB free].
Read from location 00000000 caused an access violation.

My video card does not have 4 gigs of memory, is it trying to read from nonexistent memory which causes the crash?
Someone said that it's trying to read a null pointer, what exactly did he mean?
Supposedly Proton can be configured to use OpenGL instead of dx11, would that fix the issue? How would I do that?

Attached: 1531488499373.png (300x296, 102K)

Does this help?
jamielinux.com/docs/openssl-certificate-authority/

I have a Z97 motherboard that hasn't gotten any updates regarding Spectre/Meltdown and the like.

Is it worth modding a BIOS (with UEFI BIOS Updater) to solve that problem? Would that cause more trouble?

>Spectre/Meltdown
I wouldn't worry about it.

should i have iommu enabled in my bios? the only use for it that i've heard of is gpu passthrough for virtual machines but is there any other reason to have it enabled?

Are those vulnerabilities not important anymore? I remember people making a big deal and how everyone had to sacrifice some performance just to patch em.

>Are those vulnerabilities not important anymore?
were they ever?

Well, people here sure made a big deal out of it.

asked this in a different thread bu no response:

Thinking about upgrading my i5 6500 so that I can stream games, not sure if I need to upgrade to do it though.

This is my motherboard:
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130918

I have 16 gb ddr4 ram and a 1070 with an SSD, can this motherboard use an i7 7th gen series?

Attached: 8F2EDBBC2779484297074243764ECCBE.jpg (500x386, 34K)

yeah they also make a big deal out of video card prices and codes of conduct

What's the best screen recorder for Windows? Need to make a video around 5 mins long recording my desktop and browser

>Well, people here sure made a big deal out of it.
It's more the activist investors made a big deal about about it. People want to short tech companies.

Aight. I didn't realize W10 already takes care of that to be honest.

Thank you, this is pretty good.

First result on bing
bing.com/search?q=personal certificate authority
Don't use google, their algo is trash.

Is there actual proof for one of these two options that decrease the lifespan of the cpu ?
- leaving power saving cpu features ON, which cause voltage and temp variation
OR
-using a constant voltage, but higher temperature

does that matter
I've never had a CPU fail

It does, every cpu is different and one can fail faster than another, i just wanted to know if we have prooved one of these

entire system

OBS

why would you even purchase a CPU if you are not gonna use it?
is the CPU there just for show?
are you gonna place it in a museum turned off so people can say "whoa rad" at it?
tell me, does your dick like not being used?
being slightly teased or full on fucked?
does a horse like sitting around all day not being ridden?
even IF there were ANY slight variations on a subject like "VOLTAGE KILLS", there would be totally negligible since the CPU is MADE FOR BEING ABLE TO TAKE THE VOLTAGE and MADE FOR BEING ABLE TO ADJUST ITSELF
its not like you are ever going to stress it
unless you totally dismantle it and cum on it
thanks

Do you have a recommendation for a free backup utility for Windows?

I am currently using a licensed version of HDClone 4 (Professional edition) released in 2010, but it's getting old and rusty, and I believe there are better tools out there today.

Your favorites would be greatly appreciated!

While I'm at it, I'm also looking for the easiest way to migrate my existing Windows 10 installation from a 256GB SSD to a 1TB SSD.
I have plenty of harddrives to use as temporary storage for any backups, so no limitations there.
Any tips on this would also be greatly appreciated.

Attached: HDClone.png (672x540, 289K)

Guys, i looked for help everywhere but i found no solutions, you are my last hope.

My laptop's external ram 'stopped working' and I was down to 4gb so I got a new one. After I equipped the new one my laptop still had a total of 4gb ram.
CPU-Z recognized the new external ram and it seems like my system is working on one stick of ram instead of both. What could be causing this?
i'm using a laptop so i only have one RAM slot other than the internal RAM.
When i remove the External RAM my laptop has 4gb (internal RAM) and when i equip my external RAM it also shows 4gb (and CPU-Z shows the brand of the stick and speed and all).
The problem is that they are not working together for some reason. What do?

Attached: 1474403344846.jpg (640x702, 85K)

What's the best way to use Excel 2016 if I don't want to dual boot?

Is it possible to privately stream my cable TV box over the internet to another network? Has to be on short notice too; needs to be ready tomorrow which means no ordering cables off the internet.

Pic of "external ram" pls

Option 1: Use "Microsoft Excel Online" (office.live.com/start/Excel.aspx)
Option 2: Set up remote desktop access to a Windows computer on your network and run it through remote desktop. Bonus: Set up an SSH tunnel so you can access it from anywhere.
Option 3: [spoiler]Bite the dust and dual-boot[/spoiler]

This is my first black friday as a PC user, and I don't know how the sales usually go.
Do I just check the usual sites for discounts?

Okay I have a really stupid question for you all.
When I play a flash on /f/, my speakers start blaring, even though I explicitly muted my system volume.
How can this happen? Running Mint.

I've had a cpu catch fire, user.

This happens and sound cuts off. Is my motherboard fucked? Is my headset fucked? Can I fix this without replacing anything?

Attached: log.png (1904x258, 38K)

What's the best way to make multiboot USB?
Yumi?
Easy2Boot?
MultiBootUSB?

Attached: 1542563870817.gif (734x240, 700K)

Yumi

Any specific reason?
I want to create Multiboot USB flash drive, where I can just replace the old ISO when a new one is released.

Anyone?

What's the superior codec for anime, X265 or Hi10p?

Brand new pc

Didn' start up Windows properly the first time so I'm greeted with the Restart or Troubleshoot options

No matter what I do, (reset + reinstall, factory image reset) it always results in a black screen where I can see nothing but my cursor after the restart.

what the fuck do I do

Attached: 1537741614320.jpg (324x451, 14K)

Hi10p isn't a video codec

isn't it?

Attached: Best Gal.jpg (1000x476, 46K)

no, it's a pixel format
you can have hi10p in x265 as well

My usual pipeline is:

1. Identify what kind of items I want in general (headset, new mouse, etc)
2. Define lowest spec for the items you want, and absolute highest price you are willing to pay (be slightly generous here, or you will probably exclude most of your desired options if you are picky)
3. Find parts in each item category that match your criteria (in-site product filters are your friend here, or use pcpartpicker and find points of sale for your desired items)
4. Compare items, and remove items that are "not for you" or gives less bang for your buck compared to opposing parts (I usually find 2-3-4 items spread over a small range of prices to have some options)
5. Play the waiting game until black friday or continue doing research (check video reviews on YouTube, find price comparison sites, etc)
6. If an item on your list comes up for sale, you buy it, no questions asked, because you did your research and this is the right choice for you (according to your research).

This is the only correct way to shop for anything, just skip step 5 for any non-black-friday day of the year (or replace it with another sales holiday).
Happy shopping!

youtu.be/FQcRKJMW1mU?t=269
Same laptop model and everything if you want to see how the ram looks

Cheers for the info user didn't know pixel format was a thing

install gentoo

I booted it in safe mode and it's actually going somewhere holy fucking fingers crossed

good, now fuck off

So I ran three ethernet cables in the walls of my new house, to connect an eventual router.

I have a desktop PC with gigabit lan port, and I'll ask a friend for a laptop to check all the work I did.

Any good software for testing and evaluating speed on those lines? Pic related, thanks.

Attached: 719Rx7TT5IL._SX466_.jpg (466x466, 26K)

Thanks user

Oh. Oh what the fuck. Disabling the patches almost doubled speeds on 4K Q32T1 / 4K Q1T1. Jesus christ.

Why is it that my computer won't boot to Windows in anything other that RAID mode even though neither of my two drives are set up for RAID?

Every time I turn on my computer it gives me a quick screen after the bios image about my drives RAID status before my OS boots. I decided to go into the BIOS and change it to just ATA or AHCI but when I did that, I immediately got a BSOD with a "Inaccessible Boot Device" code.

What gives?

Attached: 35523466_240459096541371_6198295152872652800_n.jpg (1000x1250, 174K)

Where to beg for a riseup invite?

As far as I get it, emacs evil mode is like vim in normal mode, visual mode... And goes back to emacs default keybindings in insert mode. Am I right?

Attached: emacs.jpg (900x563, 83K)

If I wanted to make a slide show which had my voice recorder over what is the easiest way to do so? Premiere pro?

install gentoo
your wrong
ffmpeg

Will my macbook make a good passive cooling device under my new gaming laptop? The mac would be turned off, of course. I just figured being an aluminum block it might help a little with dissipating heat

As long as it receives heat from the gaming laptop and dissipates it into the air, it will work for cooling, yes. Aluminium is a very good heat conductor too, so you are in luck!

What does Jow Forums use to measure PSNR and SSIM? I'm currently working with ffmpeg, but I wonder if there are better solutions out there.

Attached: 1527522577164.png (404x404, 96K)

I'm /lit/, sorry

YUMI let's you do that
It can also be customized nicely if you care about looks

Let me put it this way:
The bottleneck speedwise will not be your cables. Ethernet cables can carry much more data than your equipment can handle. Therefore you don't need to check for speed. A much more interesting metric in your situation is packet loss (stability).
You can test this by simply pinging a website for an hour or two (i.e. google.com) using CMD.

Open CMD (Win+R -> cmd -> enter) and use the following command:
ping www.google.com -n

This will ping www.google.com times (once every second). Set to 7200 for two hours, for example.
When the pinging is done running, you will get a summary of the pinging session as a whole.

"Lost" is the most interesting number, and should be 0 if you did it correctly (note that outages in the external server or other things can cause packets to be lost before reaching your target, but you should _not_ have many of these).
Another stat you want to pay attention to is "Average". This is the average time a packet used to get from your computer, to the remote server, and back again. This should ideally be as low as possible (usually below 50ms, and I'd be very dissatisfied with 100ms+). An "Average" close to your "Minimum" is usually a clue that your network connection is stable. Big differences here can tell you that something is wrong somewhere.

Hope that helps.

Sweet! So if I were to somehow attach a conductive material between the heatsinks and the macbook, it would work as a really big ass heatsink! Seems a better option than those obnoxious cooling pads where I'm adding 3 more fans when my laptop already has really big, loud fans to begin with.

Note that what really makes a heatsink tick, is the surface area that is in contact with the dissipation medium (in your case, air). That is why heatsinks have those weird-looking plates stacked besides each other, they provide a tremendous increase in surface area, leading to more effective heat dissipation into the air. Your macbook is a plain metal plate (i would assume) which, while giving a slight increase, will probably perform worse than what we know from heatsinks in desktops. But it should help with the process!

Neat.
I'll try that then thanks.
Also is there a portable QEMU?

>use pcbuilder
>build intel rig
>list ram
>ram price dropped 30$ on account of sale
>see ram on nweegg
>it says (FOR AMD)

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232728&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

>is it really "for amd" or can can an intel board also use it?

just buy it goy

Why is it advantageous for there to be a single root of the process tree (pid 1 = init) and for all orphaned processes to be adopted by this process?

try sudo kill -9 1

What should i look for when buying an SSD?

I remember reading on Jow Forums that "old" ones were kind of crappy due to some component they had that could die in a few years, but i don't remember what it was

Attached: 1526154262651.jpg (1078x1356, 987K)

How do I get around this block? I don't care about SSL on that site.

Attached: wtf.png (940x296, 22K)

I have an i5 4590 and a RX 480 8 GB. Was thinking about upgrading for the hell of it, but don't know if I should wait.

I'm not sitting at a Linux shell right now.
I'm just curious why this decision was made, from an OS design perspective.

guys what's the best to do list that's voice based for android?

What is path relinking?
If I have to solutions
A - B - C - D
1 - 2 - 3 - 4
could A - 2 - 3 - D be a result of "path relinking"?
Is it like crossover in genetic algorithms?

Are Crucial SSDs any good?
I'm looking to buy a 1TB nvme one...

Attached: ssd.jpg (1280x353, 122K)

upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10?
would this fix any driver or windows settings issues?

How do I make scrollbars in Firefox dark

Attached: shit.png (128x863, 31K)

is there a laptop with a 1060 that doesn't look like a gayming shitbox? I need a relatively powerful laptop that doesn't tell people you are 15yo

Upgrades create problems. Clean installs fix them.

I've spent the last few weeks looking for software that fits a very particular niche. I found a few different pieces of software that come close, but they're all missing some key components. I even found a few posts on various forums of people asking for the exact same software, all posted within the last decade. I also read various gripes that developers have towards people who bring them software proposal ideas. These developers joke around about how the guy with the proposal asks for 50% of the profit. I'd be content with only a copy of the software as compensation. I can create intricate mockups of the features and every last window and menu of the software, but I can't script at all, and I don't even know what scripting language would be the best for it.

Should I propose the missing features to the software developers who are close with the software that they currently have? I think my emails would be filtered to the junk folder immediately. And if not then they would ignore it as soon as they saw it was a proposal, thinking it was some future lawsuit trap. I think I would get the same results if I were to submit it to small development firms. Is my best bet to post the mockups on reddit and hope that someone out there takes the ball and runs with it?

Attached: 1517257640339.jpg (470x470, 70K)

try setting network.http.spdy.enforce-tls-profile to false

acer

true
but can i install windows 10 on a different ssd and still access the stuff i got on the old windows 7 ssd?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

>I'd be content with only a copy of the software as compensation
If I understand correctly what you're trying to say is, a specific software you are using could use a specific feature. And you want the developers to give you a free copy after they have implemented it?
I think you got this the wrong way around.

You should offer to pay for the integration of that feature and they might be willing to do it.

user, thanks but I was referring to internal network, as I still don't have a router yet, there is still no line in this new house so I want first to check if every cable is doing good. I know that LAN cable testers exist, but can something be done with just two windows computers? Thanks.

attention grabbing pic not related but always relevant.

Attached: bayanlar-plaj-voleybolu_410236_m.jpg (640x424, 137K)

What's a good free cloning software that will deploy an image to different hardware with no problems. I was going to use AOMEI Backupper but you can't apply to different hardware correctly without the Pro version.

>stuff
Files yes, programs no. Steam transfers smoothly.

>If I understand correctly
you don't. I'm talking about how a guy with an idea will try to negotiate 50% of the profits with the remaining 50% going to the developer for the development of that software. I also stated that I completely doubt that a software company would look at or respond to any feature request due to legal reasons. So to then assume that I would expect one of these software companies to a.) read my proposal and b.) implement it and c.) give me a free copy is asinine. What I was saying is that, if a software firm or an ambitious single developer were to create the software that I have in mind, which included all the features I requested, I wouldn't want any monetary compensation. I would only want a copy of the software while the developers profit from my idea.

Does playing volleyball get you THICC?

Attached: __thomas_claire_and_thomas_emily_harukana_receive_and_etc_drawn_by_matsuo_nobuyuki__sample-193f0af78 (850x587, 139K)

I have a headless desktop that I'd like to run as a server in another room. But that room gets very cold in winter, as its not heated. I'm talking well below freezing temperatures because I live in the fucking tundra. Is that safe? I know cold is better for computers, but that's extreme cold and I'm hesitating

Jow Forums I need help
I'm sick of guesstimating what webs files are what. how can I get preview icons on my webms and video files? This applies to all videofiles i have.

Attached: no icons.png (1093x311, 18K)

Sub 0 temps can fuck up your tech.

Nobody does that for free. Windows repair works most of the time on newer versions though. You can also run a sysprep then use any cloner you want.

install Icaros

Someone knows a Linux Distro that us UTF-16 as default encoding ?

Fug, okay, I guess I can find another home for it