People meme on arch and gentoo all the time but once you know what you're doing having a text based installer is a...

People meme on arch and gentoo all the time but once you know what you're doing having a text based installer is a godsend.
for example this quick script I wrote will give you a /boot drive and an encrypted /home + / in LUKS and will generate an fstab with tmpfs on ram. You can further extend this to install your whole system for you and automatically setup your configs too.
what's not to love?
#!/bin/bash
echo "Hostname?"
read HOST
echo "user name"?
read NAME
UUID=$(lsblk -f | grep -i crypto | awk '{print $3}')
echo "zero out drive (y/n)?"
read answer
if [ $answer != 'y' ]
then
echo "drive will not be zero'd"
else
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda bs=4k 'status=progress'
fi
#if you want UEFI just comment out the rest of the drive partitioning
fdisk /dev/sda

Attached: arch_apu.png (1349x695, 13K)

feel free to use that btw

how often do you install your OS that you feel the need to automate it?

what license is it under?

Not OP, but being a sysadmin these sort of things are extremely handy
What OP failed to mention is that other distros also have a text install option, most times

Looks like public domain to me, ie the best possible license

>that shitty if statement
>that entire fucking fdisk bullshit
>the rest is just a list of shitty commands
script kiddies really need to fuck off

Attached: cuckodemon.jpg (291x398, 41K)

well then write a better one, fucker

>letting corporations butt rape ya
>best possible license

#!/bin/bash
echo 'Read the fookin wiki'
sleep 10
systemctl poweroff

>disk will be zero’d
>=if/dev/urandom

Th...that’s not zeroing OP

>butt rape ya
Better for someone to pick it up, rather than for it to die without being used

>having a text based installer is a godsend.
Just like Ubuntu and all Debian derivatives.

Arch: only text-based installation
Debian: both text-based installer as well as graphical

This makes Debian somehow worse than Arch
Wow

The icing on the cake is that bootstrapped Arch is more bloated than bootstrapped Ubuntu.

if it's picked up for proprietary closed source use it may as well be dead in effect

Except most people use proprietary products and they will continue to do so ab aeternum, so you might aswell help them get a common and secure code base, instead of letting company pajeets hack one together

debian's installer is pure garbage and torture to use and you don't what it might do if press something, mainly the partition thing, and can error AFTER the install is done wasting all the time and effort
arch and anything like it is a god send

most people wipe their anuses with paper
it's not worth helping anybody unless they want to help themselves

You can bootstrap Debian just like you bootstrap any other distribution. In fact this is how I normally install Debian. Arch is not special in any way.

>Arch is not special in any way.
it werks :^)

I mean, in principle you'd be right, but that would only work if computers weren't connected to as much shit as they currently are
For example, e-voting is a thing in a lot of countries. West Virginia even used an e-voting mobile app in the latest midterms
Explain to me how a Democratic society based on computers (as is the current reality, for better or worse) can work reasonably well if the majority of it is susceptible to shit code
Because what will PROBABLY happen should the government ever become involved with security, is try to ban random shit that can be used for hacking. If you think that companies will ever adapt open source as anything other than free labor (see Google), you're more than likely completely wrong

Arch:
[x] Bootstrap
[_] TUI installer
[_] GUI installer

Debian, Ubuntu and derivatives:
[x] Bootstrap
[x] TUI installer
[x] GUI installer

Wow, Arch's lack of choice surely is superior.

oh damn user! you fucking got him! Skiddy BTFO

>Debian installer is too hard for archfag

Kek.

>Debian installer breaks because hehe reasons
ftfy

kek you get what I mean though
writing urandom is much better security-wise compared to just using zeros

debian doesn't have a text based installer and bootstrapping to a chroot is not the same as installing the os on real hardware.
Also debian a shit, you can't even reinstall it on a previously encrypted lvm, you literally have you wipe your whole disk and start fresh

why do you even need a gui installer?
it's literally faster and easier to just type in a couple commands than scroll through 1000x screens and you'll probably still have to type in theose commands afterwards because debian defaults are fucking trash.

nigger I've been using debian since you were a child. the installer will randomly fucking crash on you sometimes and it's a pain in the fucking dick to redo everything.

>debian doesn't have a text based installer
Boot any live CD
Create partitions
Mount partitions
Bootstrap into root partition
Compile a kernel or install a prebuilt package
Install boot loader

How is this any different from Arch?

>you can't even reinstall it on a previously encrypted lvm, you literally have you wipe your whole disk and start fresh
Wrong. See above.

>How is this any different from Arch?
it's not easily scriptable
yeah I know you can write some shitty deb specfic file but an arch script can be adapted to a gentoo script easily.
and no I'm not fucking wrong because I ran into this issue just last month on one of my computers. I wanted to reinstall because fucking apt wouldn't update to the latest stable without removing half my packages.
It's "possible" but you have to mount it in a tty and it doesn't correctly detect your partitions so there's a high chance it'll just overwrite shit anyway.
also the debian installer sets up luks partitions in a way where the VG can't be expanded if you migrate to a newer drive because it always makes a 1mb sda2 which makes no fucking sense.
absolute garbage, fuck off.

> cryptsetup -v -y -c aes-xts-plain64 -s 512 -h sha512 -i 2000 --use-urandom
Explain your options, please.

Not that user, but trying to help proprietary software vendors make secure software by letting them freely take your code is completely futile. It's like plugging half the holes in a leaky bucket, it's still gonna fucking leak and be completely unusable.

It's definitely still not as secure as a fully open source project, but at least it's better imo
If projects were built around a secure code base, perhaps it would even encourage more minimalism, who knows

Better than what the proprietary mystery box we have now*

>I'm too dumb for basic shell scripting and debootstrap, so it's Debian's fault.
OK :)
Further confirms Arch is babby's first GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1538218645763.jpg (500x500, 49K)

they're best settings to go with

Do you have a code of conduct for this project?

While I normally install Debian with debootstrap in a chroot from a live system, I have used the installer also from time to time, and I've never once had it crash on me.

>debian doesn't have a text based installer
wat

Attached: debianinst1.png (641x481, 10K)

>bootstrapping to a chroot is not the same as installing the os on real hardware
Yes it is. It's literally what the installer does.