There's only two people on Jow Forums right now that could implement an isometric 2.5D game from scratch

There's only two people on Jow Forums right now that could implement an isometric 2.5D game from scratch

Attached: 2901522-diablo1-4.jpg (640x480, 95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jsfiddle.net/victorqribeiro/k3bazwnj/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

hey david come back to blizzard and make diablo 4 pls

What do you consider "from scratch"?

The program is easy, It's the art that bites your butt.

I'm one of them

Raw OpenGL ideally but whatever floats your boat.

I'm the other. It's settled then

Hey David, Schaefer brothers here, call us we have a new project. Stop doing this indie shit on steam.

>2.5D

>OpenGL
into-the-trash.jpg

Blizzard here. We put more effort in the annoying DRM than we do in the games we make.
MFW having shit games lowered piracy.

I use Open GL for 2D and is quite neat.

which one of you motherfuckers is the other one?

I honestly don't see a point in not using UNITY especially now that the performance is quite decent

It's really not that hard. I could get the basics done in an afternoon.

I can do it as well
Once i did a 2.5D platformer in vb6 just to see if you could do something like mario 64 in 2D.

No you couldn't. You just proved you know jack shit. You would probably stumble at the first problem like isometric sprite overlapping, and quit.

Here's what I mean

Attached: 20rwqic.png (828x314, 16K)

I've done it
most isometric games solve this problem easily by only having square tiles and just sorting via position
you can also use textures with a depth value and a depth value but at that point you might aswell go full 3d

reminder that you have to be 18+ to post

Attached: a.jpg (900x900, 58K)

Normally I would continue to argue with you but you rolled quads and I must now respect your opinion

"oh no, i can't write a simple z sorting routine"

by all means go ahead, I've implemented it myself
also I should point out what you're doing here is unncessary because the purple dude is basically square anyway

>what is the depth buffer.
>what is z-ordering.

What are you hoping to achieve with these questions anyway?

I've implemented far more complex stuff than this.

Sort by z brainlet

it would take me years to make non-embarrassing graphics

So, OP tried to make isometric rendering for his game project and failed miserably?

It's easy to make low-res prerendered sprites like Diablo, you can use 3d models that look like complete shit and the low resolution will hide it

>depth buffer
Not a 2D technique

what the fuck is that supposed to mean

OP said 2.5D which means 2D on rendering side. You're talking about a 3D technique, along with 3 other anons, confirming OP's claim that no one here knows jack shit.

>There's only two people on Jow Forums right now that could implement an isometric 2.5D game from scratch
If you include all the art in that, you might be right. If you mean just the software, that's literally mid-level student assignment tier.

Using a 2D projection system doesn't mean you can't use a depth buffer.
You can still use it and write to it in
a fragment shader.

Depth buffer is not 2D or 3D, it's just a buffer
I'm pretty sure 3 other people have said "sort by Z" which is the other answer so I'm not sure what you feel so smug about

>OpenGL
>in year of our Lord 2017+2

What OP should be asking next is how you do the isometric coordinate system.

Yes. It just werks.
You can make a 2D game with it that runs from a 3Dfx videocard to the newest raytrace meme with it.

why would i want to make a game
especially one that uses an obsolete art style

Retro sells like hot cakes

Yeah whatever if you don't use a readily available engine, you're a time wasting moron.

Now I'm going to play Diablo I over thanksgiving break. Thanks user

I made on in C and ASM on (and for) Amiga, fuck off with your kiddie shit.

t. Unity "dev"

engine for 2D games is a waste of time, because you spend more time fighting the engine to do what you want on a decent performance than you would by using some baby easy APIs such as SDL.
The only advantage is that the engines have the level editor written for you, but it's a generic level editor not exactly fit for your game, SPECIALLY if you're doing an isometric game.

I'll make the logo

>obsolete art style
>obsolete art

I am confuse, what do you guys use that isn't opengl?

blitting pixels with the win32 api

How would I get started doing this? Where should I start?

>I challenge you to do some shit
>You think you've done it but no, you've misinterpreted my clearly necessary and sufficient almost 1 line instruction.
>Do it the way i'm thinking and not the way you are thinking, dumb fuck
You reek.

>t. Wheel reinventor
Just watch a tutorial or something jesus.

>Godot exists
>hurrdurr I'll rewrite evrrrryting!!!

By the time i finished watching the tutorial, i would have half of the game written already.
2D game code is retarded easy.

Well if you're making some cookie cutter iso game, might as well just fork some open source game and be done with it.

If you're making something original, the premade engine will not help you at all.

It will because I'll slap together some code and be done with it, there are enough templates to copy paste as it is.

It will get on your way on every step, specially if it's an isometric game.

It won't I've tried it before. The moment I realised Z ordering is a thing was the moment I copied other people's shit.

Is that considered hard for you user? What is your line of work?

jsfiddle.net/victorqribeiro/k3bazwnj/

There you go!

This guy gets it. I could make a game like diablo, no problem, but it would look like absolute ass.

At some point I considered creating a FLARE engine mod but then reconsidered all the artwork that would be a PITA even with the blender template given by the original FLARE author.

yeah, you would need to pay for artists or shill your project enough so that artists would volunteer to work for free
either case too much work

Depending on how much time you give me I could implement one.

i didn't make a full game but i did implement a hexagonal isometric map with full-height and half-height tiles. hexagonal coordinates are kind of neat to work with and optimizing visibility detection to avoid using the painters algorithm was rewarding when i got it working.

import 2-point-5-D-game
Next task

What part of "from scratch" did you not understand?

That is a close to scratch as you'll ever get to in python, if you need to go any lower then prepare to write a *package* in... C.

yes lets start with writing a kernel

>MFW having shit games lowered piracy.
This makes sense tho

Opensource?

I think making a 3D isometric one would be faster. With 2.5D you either need to prerender or draw each tile

>2019
>3Dfx videocard
keep going

What, you're some sort of casual that uses nvidia or AMD shit?
3Dfx is the true master race.

16bit master race

>3Dfx is the true master race.
boomer pliz

this

your
>but you have to use this if not faky faky dev
suck my balls with that bulshit, i chose my tools and the end result is the only thing thats important, try harding with opengl or raw asembly is jsut a joke

"22bits"
The card use some sort of weird post processing filtering to remove the dither.

truly state of art for its era

Raw OpenGL is not "try hard".
Specially if you use it combined with something to load the pictures for you.
It gets quite comfy quite quickly.

>try harding with opengl or raw asembly is jsut a joke

Yet back in the day competent fucks could do it and the results speak for them selves.

Either they were better back then or programmers today suck. Choose your pick.

Chris Sawyer spent two years writing 99% of the code for RollerCoaster Tycoon in x86 assembly.

Attached: Downloads03.jpg (800x541, 149K)

>isometric sprite overlapping
what do ya mean? ive done this shit, or at least think ive done, and all it takes is 2D logics but abstracting some logic into functions that correct for ..."isometry"?? whats the word?

Holy fuck imagine being this retarded. Enjoy your spaghetti code and bloat you faggot.

>Chris Sawyer spent two years writing 99% of the code for RollerCoaster Tycoon in x86 assembly.

Attached: shinryaku_ika_musume_season_2-06-ika_musume-scared-sweat-pale.jpg (1280x720, 94K)

What is it with you normies and thinking assembly is hard? It's literally easier then freaking C++.

the same reason why they prefer riding scooters than dieting

>.translate
Goodbye pixel art, hello blurry sprites

Nice effort tho

he means building each of the components for his computer by hand and writing it in machine code.

I remember collecting ears

Opengl is an abomination to actually write code in

assembly isn't hard just extremely tedious

It's the easiest one.
You should try OpenGL ES for a bit.

This is fake. He made it using a Microsoft macro language.

>cant even write pacman clone and have it run on pentium 3

>c++
if its not rust or python its trash

Attached: 1542223410346.png (1000x1000, 87K)

Blizzard here.
I was a diversity hire cumdumpster.

What's 2.5D?

the size of your chest

Attached: 1542813621596.jpg (960x1440, 559K)

wtf tycoon was written in x86? no way

Who is the second one?

give me sane graphix library and i can